Have you guys had the chance to check out the newest album from Good Old War?
On a scale of of 1 to Charlie Simpson, I'm going to say that these is heavily teetering towards Album of the Year for me--Definitely their best release yet. Don't get me wrong, their Self-Titled is very enjoyable, as is Only Way to Be Alone, but I think it's the themes that really register. The songs are just beautiful, even if they are about the conflicts between staying or walking away from someone that you've loved. And the music is just comfortable.
I'm not going to divulge into music technicalities, frankly because I have no business in doing so and probably would botch it up. Anyway, here's a couple of links to preview/hear the album and some of my favorite tracks so you can give your ears a treat and form your own opinion.
I'm sure I've written about this before but, have you ever shared a song or album or artist with someone you've cared about and then have your relationship end or be ruined for some reason or another? It sort of soils all the magic and meaning of the music when it's all over and normally it takes a long time to wash away all of those memories tied to it.
I wont list the specifics, but this place has caused me to re-affirm my loved for certain things and cause a new-found dislike for others. Like I said, some things just take time to mend.
Just looking at the mid-year Top Ten lists I'm realizing why this year in music hasn't been very enticing to me....it's chalk full of releases from artists that I don't care about, for one reason or another. I guess my favorites already had their album releases last year or just couldn't cut it with their new music this year. However, it's only July so I'm expecting better things. Two out of the 3 albums on my current AOTY list are by artists I've only started listening to this year so, perhaps there's still hope. Perhaps I'll keep trolling to Members Only forum for better releases.
I never incorporated my AOTY/EPOTY/SOTY/EOTY List. I'm not sure anyone even cares anymore.
However, I'm documenting it on the slim chance I'll need to go back and check it out at the end of next year for reference. Yes, there's some obscure pop stuff in there. I refuse to deny that side of me...besides, most of you expect it anyway. EP List will eventually be in it's own entry.
Given that the last album had a very specific message and took nearly two years to complete, Valencia’s third release was bound to be a total surprise. I had no idea what to expect and in turn, I was completely blown away. While, WANARTB is about loss and mourning, DWAG is about what happens after the dust of that tragedy clears and what of you is left standing—sometimes it’s an even greater darkness that you weren’t aware existed. With the arrival of their new drummer, who brought lots of new ideas to the table, Valencia took their previous sound and expanded it totally beyond my expectations. By incorporating a variety of new instruments and vocals arrangements, there is no limit to what they can do anymore.
Favorite Tracks: Losing Sleep, Somewhere I Belong, Dancing with a Ghost
Neon Trees had a lot of internet and MTV buzz behind them at the beginning of this year and when I finally listened to their hit single “Animals”, I understood why. A combination of Muse and The Killers, the songs are infectious, fun, and addicting. I’ve had the pleasure of sitting in on two different live sessions from the band and by seeing them in a raw space, made me appreciate their sound even more. This was the album that I could turn on at any time of the day and not get bored with a single track. By far the breakout band of 2010.
Favorite Tracks: Animal, Your Surrender, Farther Down
Though Sigh No More was released in Europe at the end of 2009, I hadn’t had the chance to get my hands on it until this year. This album brings forth a sound that I wasn’t quite used to…a sort of ambient folk sound that develops into an epic symphony. My imagination goes wild when I put on my headphones and turn up the volume. Sigh No More is completely inspiring and the perfect musical story to take on your travels.
Favorite Tracks: Roll Away Your Stone, Sigh No More, The Cave
4. The Audition - Great Danger
5. Sleigh Bells - Treats
6. Envy on the Coast - lowcountry
7. The Republic of Wolves - Varuna
8. Four Year Strong - Enemy of the World
9. Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History
10. You Me at Six - Hold Me Down
11. Young The Giant - Young the Giant
12. Artist vs Poet - Favorite Fix
13. Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
14. The Tallest Man On Earth - The Wild Hunt
15. Vampire Weekend - Contra
16. Matt & Kim - Sidewalks
17. I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody’s Business - The World We Know
18. House of Heroes - Suburba
19. Josh Ritter - So Runs the World Away
20. Seabear - We Built a Fire
Favorite Songs of 2010
1. "Animal" - Neon Trees
2. "My Body" - Young the Giant
3. "Roll Away Your Stone" - Mumford & Sons
4. "Numb" - Envy on the Coast
5. "We've Got A Situation Here" - The Damned Things
6. "The Dreamer" The Tallest Man on Earth
7. "Dancing with a Ghost" - Valencia
8. "You Ruined This" - The Audition
9. "Block After Block" - Matt & Kim
10. "Baby Steps" - I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business
11. "Something Personal" - Bright & Early
12. "It Must Really Suck to Be Four Year Strong Right Now" - Four Years Strong
13. "Car Crash" - Artist vs Poet
14. "What You Know" - Two Door Cinema CLub
15. "Fade" - The Narrative
16. "It Must Really Suck to Be Four Year Strong Right Now" - Four Years Strong
17. "Cousins" - Vampire Weekend
18. "Saving Grace" - The Maine
19. "Woolen Blankets" - The Republic of Wolves
20. "Runaway" - Kanye West
21. "Zebra" - Beach House
22. "Love is For the Middle Class" - House of Heroes
23. "Your Love Is My Drug" - Ke$ha
24. "Love the Way You Lie" - EMINEM Ft. Rihanna
25. Just the Way You Are" - Bruno Mars
26. "Grow Wings & Sing" - Oh! The Story
27. "OMG" - Usher
28. "Maybe We'll Make It Summer" - Sweatshirt Weather