i'm more important than you
|Ode to Brand New
|Dear Brand New,|
You've been my favorite band for a long long time,
From the Shower Scene to Play Crack the Sky.
From Jesus Christ to Bought A Bride,
Your music has always been at my side.
From Sowing Season toms to Lucabombs
You know I'm a sucker for all of your songs.
I've screamed "You Won't Know" at the top of my lungs
And mistakenly downloaded "The Break-Up Song."
But highs and lows, albums or shows,
I know you'll stay with me wherever I go.
On this warm college bed, when my head feels like lead
Or on a sinking ship off the Montauk coast.
So Jesse, Fight Off The Demons Raging Inside of You.
Vinnie, don't mind the 'Handcuffs' jokes.
Garret, Brian, and Derrick, you guys are cool too,
Though I don't know much about you folks.
If I tried to put the fire out that your music started in my heart...
Well, you know the rest. Guys, you're the best, even if you never reach the top of the charts. (Woo, rhyme stretch!)
You screamed at me once that Glory Fades
But I hope that isn't true for you.
Because honestly guys, this poem can't come close
To how much I care about you.
The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot
|Tags: brand new, writing, poetry
|The Nassau Mixtape
|This is already posted in multiple places, but i figured I'd keep the slowly compiling list in here. Feel free to comment with additions/edits. I'll post the final tracklisting in another blog, but that'll take awhile.|
|so i'm embarking on a three hour car drive to nassau and back with three friends of mine, and i'm making a six-cd mixtape series for the ride there and back (two groups of three cds). however, i'm not completely familiar with everything each band has to offer musically, and have no idea what to include from whom. i'd like a ratioed mix of everything.|
so, does anyone want to help me out?
pick songs from any of the bands playing at nassau (besides brand new, i can do that) that either:
(a) will be played at the show
(b) one of your favorite songs
please specify band and if the song's fast or slow (i'll figure out the album)
if i get enough response, i'll post my tracklisting when i'm finished in a couple days.
a list of the bands playing:
- Brand New
- Manchester Orchestra
- Kevin Devine
- Andy Jackson (Hot Rod Circuit/Death in the Park)
- Vinnie Caruana (I Am the Avalanche)
- Brian Bonz
SUGGESTIONS SO FAR:
- Ape Dos Mil, slow/fast (3)
- Pink Roses and the Graveyard, fast (4)
- Cosmopolitan Blood Loss, fast (2)
- Siberian Kiss, fast (3)
- Pretty Lush, fast (3)
- Tip Your Bartender, fast (3)
- The Snow Veil (2)
- Gilette Cavalcade of Sports (2)
- You Think You're John F***ing Lennon (2)
- Black Coffee
- Star Above My Bed (Call of the Tiger Woman)
- Vermont Connection/The Chapter 7 Test or the Ephesians Were Right After All
- Hurting and Shoving
- Lovebites and Razorlines
- When Eight Becomes Two Zeros (2)
- Mu Empire
- Radio Cambodia
- Deadbolt, fast (2)
- In Exile (3)
- The Earth Will Shake (2)
- Burn The Fleet
- Digital Sea
- Beggars, slow (2)
- All The World Is Mad
- The Artist In The Ambulance (2)
- The Melting Point of Wax
- Come All You Weary, slow
- Image of the Invisible
- Red Sky
- The Weight
- Stare at the Sun
- Broken Lungs
- Shake It Out, fast (3)
- Where Have You Been, fast-ish (3)
- Wolves At Night, fast (2)
- The River, fast (2)
- Now That You're Home, fast (3)
- Colly Strings, slow
- I've Got Friends, fast (3)
- You, My Pride, and Me, fast (2)
- I Can Feel A Hot One, slow (2)
- Everything To Nothing, fast-ish (2)
- Tony The Tiger, fast
- I Can Barely Breathe
- Anything Left
- I Was A Lid
- The Only One
- My Friend Marcus
- Golden Ticket
- The Neighborhood Is Bleeding
- Cotton Crush, slow then fast (3)
- Ballgame, fast (2)
- Just Stay, fast (3)
- Brooklyn Boy, fast (2)
- Heaven Bound and Glory Be, fast-ish
- Afterparty, fast
- Buried By The Buzz, fast (2)
- Tomorrow's Just Too Late, slow-ish
- Brother's Blood (2)
- Time to Burn/Another Bag of Bones (2)
- Longer That I'm Out Here
- No Time Flat
- Yr Damned Ol Dad
- You'll Only End Up Joining Them
- Go Haunt Someone Else
- It's Only Your Life
~ Album Rec: Make the Clocks Move
Andy Jackson (Hot Rod Circuit/Death In The Park)
~ Album Rec: The Underground Is A Dying Breed [Acoustic EP]
~ Album Rec: Sorry About Tomorrow
Vinnie Caruana (I Am the Avalanche/The Movielife
- I Took A Beating
- Brooklyn Dodgers
- Green Eyes
- Clean Up
- 10 Seconds Too Late (Movielife)
- Walking On Glass (The Movielife)
- Sailor Tattoos (The Movielife)
again, feel free to comment (though i doubt anyone will)
by the way, the PHILLIES ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW! WOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
|Tags: nassau, brand new, music, mixtape, phillies
|walking back from class tonight, was humming a song and decided to sit and write a poem|
line or two borrowed from 'daisy' to help me start
It's getting hard to stay up,
I think I hear God calling my name.
Red lights o'er the rooftops
Wait on the whir of chopper blades.
And they're calling my name.
Circled stiff by turnstiles,
Boxed by metal, glass, and lawn.
It's strange; This castle prison's
My only buffer left from harm.
The streets are calling my name.
I'm living in a jar and the lid's the sky.
My limbs are feeling restless and I don't know why.
Stretch my muscles to the heavens as I sit outside.
I think I hear God calling my name.
|Tags: writing, poetry, music, brand new, daisy, college
|Initial Thoughts: Daisy - Brand New
|Initial Thoughts: Daisy - Brand New|
So it leaked tonight and I immediately downloaded it (though I swore I wouldn't). Here's my first impressions
1. Vices - Wish I didn't know the spoiler in the beginning, that would've been the ultimate mind...HOLY WOW MY EARS JUST GOT BLOWN OFF. that's a thousand times better than the luca bomb. Jason said this was polarizing, and I'm scared as hell. rightfully so, it seems.
2. Bed - not impressed, especially after Vices. Slowness kills the mood. Hoping this is the worst song on the CD.
3. At The Bottom - heard this song first, and I can see why they released it as a single. it sounds the most like "old" brand new (I'm beginning to think there's no such thing), and it segues well from Bed. I definitely killed this song by listening to it 100+ times in the last three weeks. my bad.
4. Gasoline - Another song, another vocal filter. woah this is way different from everything else. love the guitar/bass around 1:27...what is going on these bridges are ripping me apart! mid song strangeness, and i'm not sure if I like it.
5. You Stole - love the first bit, lyrics are nice, reminds me a bit of you won't know. "so if i'm a liar and you're a thief, at least we both know where the other one sleeps." another weird bridge, very bass heavy. EXPLOSION! digging these instruments, effects galore, i feel like my brain/ears are getting pulled in like 6 directions...song's a bit too slow though.
6. Be Gone - Brand New has gone off the deep end. haha the lyrics. haha the country vibe. haha the effects. man i'm so confused. this might as well be an instrumenta...its over.
7. Sink - bass drum brings me in. this screaming is intense as hell. i like these lyrics. like the chorus/hook (can you even call it that?) this is redefining what i think of normal music. it's...wow nice lyrics whoever said Vin couldn't write good lines are dead wrong a lot of these are great. bringing me in crazy at the end, what are these effects? do they exist?
8. Bought A Bride - finally, something familiar...how does the bass overwhelm this much yet Jesse sounds so cle-wait vocal filter. HE BOUGHT A BRIDEEEEEEEEEE BOUGHT A BRIDEEEEEEEE BOUGHT A BRIDEEEEEEE! i need to blast this in my car as soon as possible.
9. Daisy - this is cool. vin definitely wrote some of these lyrics though. what. is. this? lucabomb - my new name for any of these sudden volume raises. i don't know if some of these effects are the result of the leak or not...nice guitar work in the background it feels like raindrops of linkin park.
10. In A Jar - i love these lyrics. freakoutcity. too short. my favorite so far.
11. Noro - so far new favorite. i can already they're going for epic. "i'm on my way out." jesse's voice is crazy filtered. like the drums throughout the album. i'm not sure what i'm listening to. it's a little repetitive...i love this song. and i'm not talking about noro
overall, this is going to take a little more listening. forget that, a LOT more listening. it's got some nice moments, but it's definitely too slow at times. i feel a need to blast the shit out of it throughout my house though. and you will NEVER get to sleep listening to this album.
EDIT: i'm going to be honest though, (as much as i can tell from one listen [not much]) this is not as good as deja or TDAG. some of the lyrics are really lame (daisy) and it feels like they're trying to do too much instead of just writing some good songs. they took the crazy explosion effect part of limousine and stretched it into an entire four songs. i wish there was MORE screaming, surprisingly, as those are definitely the best parts of this album. further listens are definitely required (obviously), but INITIALLY this is in between what i was hoping for: the mind-blown aspects are there, but they threw out some of the tighter songwriting they've had in the past in favor of effects and releasing something "brand new" from their past work.
|Tags: brand new, daisy, initial thoughts, leak
|Who I Used To Be
|I was reading Jesse Lacey's Q&A for Spin Magazine, and one of the things he said really struck a chord:|
|And I always say, I'm just astonished at how much you learn as you grow older and how it never stops. When I was 21, I realized that I didn't know anything at 17, and then at 25, I realized I didn't know anything at 21, and now at 31, I realized I didn't know anything at 25. But it doesn't seem to be slowing down. I'm always wondering if when I'm 80, am I gonna be looking back to when I was 75 and going, you know, "That person didn't know anything?" When does that process of growing stop?|
After reading this, I went back and looked at some of my old writing and listened to some of my old songs. God, I was so young then, and the things I felt seem so childish in comparison to the things I feel today. I guess as we grow, our thoughts get more complex and we see them in a more distinctive light. Goes with that whole 'hindsight is 20/20' thing, but that's not exactly what I mean. At the end of the day, everything's going to seem different when you're removed from it, and all you can really do is learn from the mistakes you made and the good things that came along. Wow that's cliche.
Quote of the night: "Unfortunately, you can't auto-tune soul." ~Mark Johnson, on the Colbert Report
|Tags: brand new, the past
|Favorite Music Videos
|I was reading through the "beautiful songs" thread last night, and it got me thinking about music videos.|
Here's some of my favorites:
Brand New - Sic Transit Gloria
I like the twist at the end, and they did a great job keeping all the movements together.
Coheed & Cambria - Blood Red Summer
Fall Out Boy - Dance, Dance
Pete's raptor dance. lol.
Paramore - Pressure
Hayley looks prettiest in this video. Plus, her Flyers jersey? Represent!
Say Anything - Shiksa
I love how they sing every little line of the song. Opening the cupboard in the beginning is awesome.
Something Corporate - If U C Jordan
When Andrew yells "FUCK YOU JORDAN" the first time, the whole song climaxes.
Thursday - War All The Time
Their album had the worst timing ever, but this video even more so. A stunning video which should've brought them all the success in the world.
I'd definitely love to hear some more ideas.
|Tags: music videos, brand new, coheed, fob, paramore, say anything, fuck you jordan