AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Yellowcard - Lights and Sounds (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=109436)

lezsolt 01/20/06 07:03 AM

Stupid review, I'm liking this album a lot. It's as good as Ocean Avenue in my book. Oh, and stop that "Deja Entendu" bullshit. That album is terrible.

XPnkXrckXprncss 01/20/06 07:18 AM

great review and i do really like "sure thing falling"

ArTkY_ 01/20/06 07:25 AM

Seriously, Ryan sounds like he's sleeping half the album. God dammit!

Good, honest review Tony.

Rogue Slayer 01/20/06 07:34 AM

this album blows. and this coming from a yc fan. well ex-fan now. i was actually excited for this album. but the vocals and melodies dont have any emotion whatsoever.

one for the kids is still one of my fave albums. ocean avenue is good. but this is just crap. at least they used to make good pop. now it just seems like they're a bunch of rocker wannabes

NameTaken69 01/20/06 07:59 AM

very good review, im glad you are honest about everything

notetoxself 01/20/06 08:27 AM

I completely agree with that review.. I still also think that I am not buying that cd at all. I got it only downloaded but I am not spending my money on it.

midtown187 01/20/06 09:10 AM

Quote:

Ryan, your voice--what in god's name happened to it?

he must have lit himself too many smokes beneath the dark atlantic sky.

BlinkFoundMSU 01/20/06 10:16 AM

oh god this album sucks. i mean, seriously, 3 uptempo songs. one of which is the first single. nothing like letting the YC fans down

truestar1015 01/20/06 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midtown187
he must have lit himself too many smokes beneath the dark atlantic sky.

HAHAHAHA! I love it!!!!

March_Faster!! 01/20/06 11:01 AM

Tony...can I give you a hug? Why you ask? Well, for writing the most spot-on review that I've had the pleasure of reading. Letdown city and Yellowcard is the mayor!

Brandon Herbel 01/20/06 11:50 AM

I really wasn't to impressed with it either. The album has it good parts and the single "Lights and Sounds" wasn't too far from a good yellowcard single.

Fury15 01/20/06 12:30 PM

i kind of like this album...

Ailite 01/20/06 01:32 PM

I'm dissapointed with this album, no doubt, but I do like it somewhat. Holly Wood Died is great.

eclipse 01/20/06 01:55 PM

i think its funny that the thread announcing this thread got baleeted off the front page.

on a side note though, i love this album.

wedin4showbread 01/20/06 02:02 PM

wow harsh stuff! i havent heard it though so i can't defend them

Tony Pascarella 01/20/06 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse
i think its funny that the thread announcing this thread got baleeted off the front page.

on a side note though, i love this album.

It was stickied. It is supposed to be unstickied around noon, but I was going to wait until the news issue was resolved. When something's unstickied, it falls back to its original place in the news queue.

dai the flu 01/20/06 03:00 PM

id really like to hear what some other reviewers say about this cd. especially jason tate, because in previous topics, he told us how much he liked the cd.
now that popular opinion has changed, so has he.
case in point:
"I wish I didn't like the new album as much as I do; seriously ... it's not fair. I think it's a really solid album"
taken from 'ben harper speaks - quickly' 1-03-06

why the change tate?
let me guess. your current opinion of the cd has nothing to do with the cd itself. something i suspect with the majority of you.

pretty_in_punk3 01/21/06 07:34 PM

yea i agree that ryan's vocals totally kill it....i haven't had a chance to listen to the lyrics in their entirety to judge them, but the music sounds alright. i haven't been at all excited for this album and don't plan on buying it. maybe i'll download a few of the songs, which so far the opener is my favorite (it has no vocals).

pretty_in_punk3 01/21/06 07:36 PM

vocal advice for mr. key: GIVE UP THE CIGARETTES IF YOU WANT YOUR SINGING CAREER TO CONTINUE AT A DECENT PACE

pnkrckprncss 01/21/06 08:41 PM

ok well i just finished listening to the album, and i agree...it's just so boring...ryan's just going through the motions with this...there's no emotion at all

Tony Pascarella 01/21/06 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnkrckprncss
ok well i just finished listening to the album, and i agree...it's just so boring...ryan's just going through the motions with this...there's no emotion at all

It's definitely depressing, but not in the way they meant it.

dukeboy1986 01/21/06 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lezsolt
Stupid review, I'm liking this album a lot. It's as good as Ocean Avenue in my book. Oh, and stop that "Deja Entendu" bullshit. That album is terrible.

You are an idiot.

Tony Pascarella 01/22/06 12:26 AM

I'm giving the CD some more play, but it's not growing on me any more.

ayelubyoo 01/22/06 09:33 AM

Absolutely! Your critique is right on and well written. It's just disappointing...

I, too, am from Jax, and being a fan since senior yr at high school, you just want so much more for them and from them, too.

Go "Rough Draft!"... In my opinion, it's still their best song--no matter how old it is!

Plaidical 01/22/06 11:25 AM

this album is not out yet.
how have so many of you heard it?

Steve Henderson 01/22/06 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaidical
this album is not out yet.
how have so many of you heard it?

You are kidding. You must be.

Poultrylicious 01/22/06 02:00 PM

Dear Yellowcard,
sorry for this corny review
sorry for your 4th grade music class teacher (just cause i fell sorry 4 her)
sorry the whole world doesnt want you to make the album that you wanted to make
sorry everyone liked it
sorry everyone hated it
sorry OA's follow up wasnt as good
Sincerly,
Over Dramatic Fan Basher
pussy.net

smelltheglove 01/23/06 01:10 PM

this review is such shit.

i'm so sick of you absolutewhiners bringing up the same shit.

1. omg they kicked out ben harper and i take this as a personal insult cuz i like to pretend that i am directly responsible for their breakthrough success cuz i used to hang out with them and i knew of them back in the day and they fucking owe me for that and i was ryans friend and now they dont talk to me and i feel like its my business who they kick out of their band cuz that really fucking involves me. GET FUCKING OVER IT TATE AND CO. NO ONE CARES THAT YOU WERE FRIENDS WITH THE BAND AND YOU NOW FEEL SNUBBED. QUIT AIRING THEIR DIRTY LAUNDRY ALL OVER YOUR SITE.

2. OMG ryan doesnt sing about watching girls sleep and october nights and mom and dad bein all he has and the quarter back punk beatin me up. jesus christ hes fucking 25 years old, hes not going to write the same songs he wrote when he was a teenager, or even early 20's. being 25 myself i can tell you first hand that your tastes, attitudes, values etc. change A WHOLE LOT between the ages of 20-24. just as much as they do from 14-19, if not moreso. he's going to sing about different things than love and his dad.

and if you give this album bad lyric scores i hope you never considered their lyrics that good in the first place. i mean the lyrics to '23' and 'life of a salesman' are fucking cringeworthy compared to the worst of this album. key's lyrics are always been pretty average. get over it.

ok with that out of the way, the attacking of ryans voice is just unfair. i think 'waiting game' has WAY more emotional impact than 'only ones' highschool cheezzzzzzzzz.

this album is better than ocean avenue. sorry if they arent your 'summer fun' lightheartrd band anymore, wtf do you expect, they are growing up and evolving. they arent 'one for the kids' anymore, and i'm glad, cuz im no kid myself.

outstanding album, 8/10. 'grey' and 'how i go' are the only weak tracks, but c'mon, nothing is as bad on this album as the corny as fuck and retarded 'view from heaven' or 'believe'.

Elfie7X 01/23/06 05:18 PM

This is bullcrap. You are being way too harsh on Yellowcard. You don't understand what they did with this album, and I don't really feel like explaining it. The vocals may not have the most emotion, but this album is not all bad.

Steve Henderson 01/23/06 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elfie7X
This is bullcrap. You are being way too harsh on Yellowcard. You don't understand what they did with this album, and I don't really feel like explaining it. The vocals may not have the most emotion, but this album is not all bad.

You are a fucking retard. Read the lyrics. Then tell me I do not understand them. Or better yet, read my review.

kolcogan 01/24/06 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myownelement
am i the only one who thinks that it was such a dumb and un-creative idea to base a song on the movie big fish? no offense i like the movie, but when you get to a point where you're writing songs about MOVIES because you've got nothing left to write about, i think you just need to stop... and leave, or move on.

pathetic.

even though the album sucks, i still think it's better than writing about dumb shit like "Poppin' My Collar"

crazytoledo 01/24/06 10:53 AM

Thank you for a better review than I expected. However, you still rated it too high.

This is cookie cutter garbage, especially since their old stuff is bad, yet still 500x times better than this.

sidewacker 01/24/06 12:39 PM

I totally disagree with this review...although your writting skills are well thought out...but, in my opinion the album was better than people are making it sound....It's not like it's horrid like Good Charolette.

splutton 01/25/06 11:23 AM

I enjoi this album rather a lot.

Steve Henderson 01/25/06 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splutton
I enjoi this album rather a lot.

Good spelling.

SummerxStars 01/26/06 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smelltheglove
this review is such shit.

i'm so sick of you absolutewhiners bringing up the same shit.

1. omg they kicked out ben harper and i take this as a personal insult cuz i like to pretend that i am directly responsible for their breakthrough success cuz i used to hang out with them and i knew of them back in the day and they fucking owe me for that and i was ryans friend and now they dont talk to me and i feel like its my business who they kick out of their band cuz that really fucking involves me. GET FUCKING OVER IT TATE AND CO. NO ONE CARES THAT YOU WERE FRIENDS WITH THE BAND AND YOU NOW FEEL SNUBBED. QUIT AIRING THEIR DIRTY LAUNDRY ALL OVER YOUR SITE.

2. OMG ryan doesnt sing about watching girls sleep and october nights and mom and dad bein all he has and the quarter back punk beatin me up. jesus christ hes fucking 25 years old, hes not going to write the same songs he wrote when he was a teenager, or even early 20's. being 25 myself i can tell you first hand that your tastes, attitudes, values etc. change A WHOLE LOT between the ages of 20-24. just as much as they do from 14-19, if not moreso. he's going to sing about different things than love and his dad.

and if you give this album bad lyric scores i hope you never considered their lyrics that good in the first place. i mean the lyrics to '23' and 'life of a salesman' are fucking cringeworthy compared to the worst of this album. key's lyrics are always been pretty average. get over it.

ok with that out of the way, the attacking of ryans voice is just unfair. i think 'waiting game' has WAY more emotional impact than 'only ones' highschool cheezzzzzzzzz.

this album is better than ocean avenue. sorry if they arent your 'summer fun' lightheartrd band anymore, wtf do you expect, they are growing up and evolving. they arent 'one for the kids' anymore, and i'm glad, cuz im no kid myself.

outstanding album, 8/10. 'grey' and 'how i go' are the only weak tracks, but c'mon, nothing is as bad on this album as the corny as fuck and retarded 'view from heaven' or 'believe'.

On their last album Key wrote about being 23 and now he's writing about being 20? I agree with you on he's 25, he needs to write about different things.

...plus "view from heaven" is a great song

Ladron 02/02/06 02:10 PM

This album has a Metacritic rating of 68, the same as Deja Entendu!

http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...ightsandsounds
http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...ew/dejaentendu

Steve Henderson 02/02/06 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladron

User reviews for Yellowcard = 6.1
User reviews for BN = 8.8

Do the math. Ignore those critics.

Ladron 02/02/06 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleRico!
User reviews for Yellowcard = 6.1
User reviews for BN = 8.8

Do the math. Ignore those critics.

yeah, I forgot to check that. Brand New doesn't have a single negative review by the users. Yellocard already got a 0 and a 2.

Ladron 02/17/06 03:09 PM

The Metacritic rating already went down to 58.

RyGuy4952 04/16/06 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Pascarella
Yellowcard - Lights and Sounds
Release Date: January 24th, 2006
Record Label: Capitol Records

This is an open letter to Yellowcard, a band whose album Ocean Avenue I consider one of my favorite “summer albums,” and who hail from Jacksonville, in my adopted home state of Florida. I will welcome any attempt by the band to contact me regarding this review/open letter, and I am looking forward to reading fans’ thoughts.

Dear Yellowcard,

So you’ve finally gotten over the MTV-spurred major-label buzz from Ocean Avenue and the unceremonious banishment of guitarist and founding member Ben Harper (who you have replaced by former Staring Back guitarist Ryan Mendez) in time to build on that promising hype you generated back in 2003. The hype is there, with your lead single hitting the airwaves only about half a million times a day. With electrically charged guitar riffs, the title track is fun to listen to the first few times. But Ryan, your voice needs a little bit more "oomph." I believe that as a band, you have managed to earn early “worst of ’06” honors for your abysmally awful “Down On My Head,” which stinks up the third spot on the CD. Did you just take cheesy emo lyrics, put them on repeat, and toss in a little bit of one-dimensional harmonizing for good measure to make sure the song is dead as a doornail? I'm of course going to say this and you'll pick it as the next single, catapulting this steaming pile of dung into trendy oblivion. After your listeners work their way through that drag of a song (or just press “skip forward”), I have to give you props for the first solid track on Lights and Sounds. “Sure Thing Falling” is hard charging and overwhelmingly hooky, which plays to its advantage. I enjoy the brief interlude from violinist extraordinaire Sean Mackin late in the song as well, which adds some depth to this catchy piece of music. Characterized by a throaty bass line and simple yet well-written guitar riffs, "Sure Thing Falling" will hits your listeners hardest with the infectious lyrics, which are probably the best on the album. One for two isn’t bad.

Despite a truly heartwarming concept, I cannot recommend “Two Weeks from Twenty” to your fans, guys. A song that you wrote about the war in Iraq, which ultimately laments the pointlessness of it all, this one should have been a bona fide slam-dunk. Subtly catchy, the problem with this song lies in the vocals. Ryan, your voice—what in god’s name happened to it? The one thing that really begins to grate on the listener is the lack of the passion that should go into a song like this. If you feel strongly enough to write a song like this, it deserves an honest treatment. That said, the horns and instrumental bridges are quite superb to listen to, but “Two Weeks From Twenty” would be a definitively strong track on this album if the vocals were done better.

“Waiting Game” features an extravagant string arrangement to accompany the upbeat song, and really shows off Sean Mackin’s talent. To think that he did all of the strings himself is quite amazing and shows a focus that maybe the rest of the band could take a page or two from. While the orchestral parts are great, I’m still worried about the quality of the vocals on “Waiting Game.” Ryan, your voice takes me back to fourth grade music class. Back when the teacher would tell all of the students to just sing the songs in normal pitch because she knew we couldn’t hit the notes, we’d pretty much just focus on learning the words. Far too often on Lights and Sounds do I get these flashbacks. Where’s the emotion? Where's the edgy pop-punk we have come to know and love from Yellowcard? We see flashes of the “old” band on “Rough Landing, Holly,” but it’s not nearly widespread enough for my liking (although the song is possibly the best one on the new album).

How can this one Yellowcard fan summarize your new effort, Lights and Sounds? You seem to have dropped the punk tag from your repertoire, which might come back to bite you in the butt later in your career. That glossy pop vibe is well and good, but when the singles don’t catch on with Top 40 radio, this album will have a tough time clawing its way up the sales chart on musical talent alone. With lush string arrangements out of Sean Mackin instead of rugged violin hooks, you have have altered the traditional Yellowcard sound significantly, which I think will be key (pardon the pun) to your future sound. Ryan Key comes up a bit stale in too many places for this album to be worth owning, though. The songwriting just could be so much better. You had many of the right ideas with the instruments, but the lyrics feel flat, as do the vocals. As a fan, I find myself longing for the comforting crooning of Ocean Avenue instead of this poorly mixed, lackluster CD. I won’t stop enjoying your music, but this album was a severe letdown for me. I end this letter with a statement toward the future. Not every great band can write solely number-one hits throughout a lengthy career; sometimes to grow musically, a letdown album is required, and it usually precedes a groundbreaking CD. While Lights and Sounds is not the Clarity or Deja Entendu that you were aiming for, perhaps it will allow you to completely blow us away with your next release. That’s what I really want to know—are you a great band?

Sincerely,
Tony Pascarella
Absolutepunk.net

I cannot even believe what I just read. What, so they mature from pop-punk to something more grown up? You're a fucking idiot, first of all. Second of all, I'd like to see you TRY and sing like Ryan Key; his voice range is crazy, and I don't care what you say. The lyrics for "Down on My Head" are not "emo", but that word is gay anyway, so don't use it, cuz no one knows what it means. Despite what you think about that song, I know plenty of people who are going crazy over it. "Two Weeks from Twenty"....you DON'T recommend it? Are you serious? So you want them to have one timbre? You're dumb because you criticize them for being "one dimensional" (which is retarded to say), and when they do something different, you complain? I just think you're too musically immature to appreciate and/or comprehend that piece of music. That's okay though, one day you'll grow up. And you ask where the emotion is in this album? Where is it not!? Did you actually take a look at the lyrics for "Three Flights Down", "Hollywood Died", "How I Go", "City of Devils"??? Any??? The emotions are there if you fucking READ and LISTEN. At least you had good things to say about Sean, but I think you should get off his dick and give Ryan more credit which he deserves. If you look at good bands throughout the past, you'll notice that the best ones/the ones who stick around the longest change constantly. Yellowcard is growing up; sorry to bust your bubble. You ask if they are a good band? Ask Dr. Tim Crain, professor of popular music at Indiana State University...ask our friends at emotionalpunk.com...ask Alternative Press, Rolling Stone, All Music Guide...

RyGuy4952 04/16/06 02:55 AM

One more thing

And anyone who says this album sucks and that it's not put together well is a FUCKING JACK ASS RETARD. I mean, if you don't like the sound, if it's just not your kinda shit, that's cool; I can dig that. There's stuff I don't like, too, but don't say dumb shit like Ryan's voice needs more "oomph", and shit like that. Fuckin A, I hate idiots.

Tony Pascarella 04/16/06 07:42 AM

If anyone wishes to argue with my rating, I direct you to the box that allows members to rate this CD. After 25 members have done so, the rating is 59%, which, amazingly enough, happens to be the exact rating I gave this CD.

And for the record, I stand by this rating.

Steve Henderson 04/16/06 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyGuy4952
And anyone who says this album sucks and that it's not put together well is a FUCKING JACK ASS RETARD. I mean, if you don't like the sound, if it's just not your kinda shit, that's cool; I can dig that. There's stuff I don't like, too, but don't say dumb shit like Ryan's voice needs more "oomph", and shit like that. Fuckin A, I hate idiots.

Moron.

Read another bash review in my sig...get your silly blood boiling.

RyGuy4952 04/16/06 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleRico!
Moron.

Read another bash review in my sig...get your silly blood boiling.

UncleRico, you are the MORON, first off. Okay, this is what I think. I think you'r too immature musically to understand their new sound; the changes they've made. I loved One for the Kids, The Underdog, and Ocean Avenue too, but those guys aren't 20 and 22 year old college age kids anymore. They're grown up, and now they're trying to produce a timbre that is appealing to a more mature audience. With pieces such as "Two Weeks from Twenty", "How I Go" (which I will get back at in a sec.), and the bonus track, "Three Flights Down", I think that is very apparent. Maybe if you had an open mind about MUSIC and weren't so biased in your own taste, you'd appreciate what they have done with Lights and Sounds. Okay, let's talk about "How I Go". You hate the featuring of a Dixie Chic, but I want to know why. Is it JUST because she's a Dixie Chic? Would it have been different if they featured Michelle Branch or Avrille Lavigne? This is kind of irrelevant, but if Nelly can feature Tim McGraw (I hated it personally, but was it not a huge hit?), Yellowcard can feature a Dixie Chic- not saying that "How I Go" will be a huge hit (who knows, it's early), but I was just trying to make a point. And about Ryan's voice "getting worse" every album. Personally, I believe it's gotten better; maybe not that much better since Ocean Avenue, but better. He still has that nice voice range that he's had for a while now. LISTEN to "Lights and Sounds", "Rough Landing Holly", "Grey"....LISTEN. But goddamn, if you're going to bash on vocals, bash New Found Glory (eww), Taking Back Sunday (I love them, but they're vocals do suck), Bowling for Soup (love them, too...need vocal maturity). Jesus Christ, Ryan Key isn't trying out for fucking American Idol; he's in a pop-punk/alternative rock band! Okay, the lyrics. They aren't the greatest, but they're not as bad as you make them out to be. Despite that, they do flow nicely with the music, which is more important than the words themselves. But hey, believe it or not I actually agree with you on one thing. I'm sort of pissed that they got rid of Ben, too. I don't know what that was all about, but educate me on that if you know why. In closing, I'll say I'm not here to make enemies, but to have educational debates such as this one with a little bit of shit talking here and there, because we're young men and that's what we do. I'm interested in hearing what you have to say now about this post. Let it all out.

LMB 04/16/06 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyGuy4952
UncleRico, don't fuckin call me a moron. I will slit your throat in your sleep.

Someone needs a time out.

Steve Henderson 04/16/06 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMB
Someone needs a time out.

Haha wow.

JWilson 04/25/06 11:45 AM

bit of a let down.

I dont really think its a horrible CD. Though it certainly does not rank as high in my book as previous releases. There are far to many slower songs on this CD for my liking, and I often find myself skipping through most tracks. This band has a high engery live show, and I would love to see that reflected in the music released on CD, not the semi snoozefest that L&S tends to be.

1000shadesofred 05/17/06 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lassise
FACE, i like oldschool "underdog"

the underdog EP was the best... this album makes me vomit

Dan CiTi 07/03/06 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer
Minus the fact that WYWTB is tons better than this.

Hopefully they make a "Louder Now".
But I enjoy this somewhat.