AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Breathe Carolina - Hello Fascination (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1241222)

lemontie 08/05/09 10:21 PM

Breathe Carolina - Hello Fascination
 
Breathe Carolina - Hello Fascination
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: August 18, 2009

I am a guilty person. I'm not sure why, but I find myself listening to these kind of bands. I have a secret love for Watchout! There's Ghosts. Breathe Carolina, however, hasn't struck note with me. It's Classy, Not Classic was something I just didn't, couldn't like. But the secret little person inside me told me to listen to this album, and so I did. And I come with news! It's not a terrible album.

Granted, this doesn't mean it's close to "Album of the Year." It's far from that, but anyone who was hoping that this new album wasn't going to be Brokencyde garbage should be happily surprised. The title track, "Hello Fascination," is probably the most easily accessible song. The song starts out with a decent beat with a guitar riff in the background. No joke, guitar. It's not complex or mind blowing, but you'll hear it through the song at the very least, which is better than auto-tuning the hell out of voices (which they actually don't seem to do terribly much of on this album, but it's still evident). But then again, what's a good electroscream song without some auto-tune?

Most people are probably not looking for this album to reinvent a genre and make people want to listen to it, and those people are right. This album isn't a perfect genre re-inventor. There are bundles of trash in this album, like it's the clear post-hardcore attempt of "Tripped and Fell in Portland," which is complete with drums, guitar, bass, and lots of screams, but when Kyle's auto-tuned voice breaks in sometimes, it ruins the feel, and added with the synth, it really feels like Breathe Carolina decided to go from post-hardcore to Miley Cyrus pop then combine it together to become something else altogether. There's obnoxious songs like "Take Me to Infinity" that sound almost so over-tuned that it feels like I'm listening to Kanye West.

I don't think anyone was expecting these guys to write some mindblowing and meaningful lyrics. But I find myself too engrossed in the beat to even care. There are songs that do seem to stand out, though. "Velvet" has a really oddly catchy beat that reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on, but it ends up in a really upbeat, yet oddly enjoyable song with really, well, sexy undertones. "Hello Fascination" is a song that's surprisingly easy to at least enjoy, to some degree, with a very fast, poppy feel and some catchy lyrics. Most people will bash this album, but it's a bashing that's almost acceptable. This album isn't the greatest album of 2009, but it's not the worst. It has some beats and songs that are good for a quick, guilty listen. And that's why it will be playing on my iPod for a while.

That, and I have those secret loves for these kind of bands.

Recommended If You Likegiving bands a chance; Watchout! There's Ghosts, if you didn't like It's Classy, Not Classic; neon

Jeremy Aaron 08/18/09 08:21 PM

I find it troubling that anyone would use the word "post-hardcore" to describe this band.

iamnuwave 08/19/09 05:58 AM

i don't give a shit. Music and entertainment in general is all relative.

(PS. Before i go on, I actually like Breathe Carolina alot, but I myself can't get into Watchout There Ghost)

But anyway, i fuckin loved this album. I'm actually impressed by Tripped and Fell In Portland. Even though that's probably as generic as you can get with that sound, (i don't know i only listen to Electro/House/Dance etc), but it's starting to get me more interested in how real Post-Hardcore bands do it.

Take Me To Infinity, not only reminds me of Kanye (just a little), but actually surprise DAFT PUNK! And that's why i like it, not because it sounds like something, but because they've acheived that affect (IN MY EYES) to get that vibe.

The ones i really liked were, Hello Fascination, Take Me To Infinity. I.D.G.A.F, The Dressing Room, Tripped and Fell In Portland, and My Obsession, and Rescue.

Why does everyone like Velvet, i think that song is the worst song they've done lolol and i'm a fan. But overall i like it.

lemontie 08/19/09 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Aaron (Post 51978652)
I find it troubling that anyone would use the word "post-hardcore" to describe this band.

I agree with that, but it's seriously the sound they were trying to pull off. Or at least, that's how it seemed to me. I'm not sure what else I could call it.

Handraa 08/19/09 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemontie (Post 52014672)
I agree with that, but it's seriously the sound they were trying to pull off. Or at least, that's how it seemed to me. I'm not sure what else I could call it.

I agree with that statement.

Dymytry Vance 08/19/09 01:57 PM

Quote:

But then again, what's a good electroscream song without some auto-tune?
A sub-decent electroscream song without auto-tune. Which is 3 steps above where it is with the autotune.

Dymytry Vance 08/19/09 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnuwave (Post 52003492)
i don't give a shit. Music and entertainment in general is all relative.

(PS. Before i go on, I actually like Breathe Carolina alot, but I myself can't get into Watchout There Ghost)

But anyway, i fuckin loved this album. I'm actually impressed by Tripped and Fell In Portland. Even though that's probably as generic as you can get with that sound, (i don't know i only listen to Electro/House/Dance etc), but it's starting to get me more interested in how real Post-Hardcore bands do it.

Take Me To Infinity, not only reminds me of Kanye (just a little), but actually surprise DAFT PUNK! And that's why i like it, not because it sounds like something, but because they've acheived that affect (IN MY EYES) to get that vibe.

The ones i really liked were, Hello Fascination, Take Me To Infinity. I.D.G.A.F, The Dressing Room, Tripped and Fell In Portland, and My Obsession, and Rescue.

Why does everyone like Velvet, i think that song is the worst song they've done lolol and i'm a fan. But overall i like it.

This is not real post-hardcore. Listen to Hands, Great Commission, For Today... etc.

Dymytry Vance 08/19/09 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongDistanceDrunk (Post 52001602)
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Oooohhh 1ND13 CR3D!

more heart 08/20/09 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dymytry Vance (Post 52039532)
This is not real post-hardcore. Listen to Hands, Great Commission, For Today... etc.

For Today and The Great Comission aren't post-hardcore either so I don't think you should be talking as if you know the genre.

I'm just going to come out and say this: Sometimes you just have to listen to things for what they are and for what Breathe Carolina and their record are, it's not so bad. Sure they use far too much auto-tune than anybody should(though there are far worse abusers) and the screaming is just thrown in there, but it's really not all that bad.

lemontie 08/20/09 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by more heart (Post 52103462)
For Today and The Great Comission aren't post-hardcore either so I don't think you should be talking as if you know the genre.

I'm just going to come out and say this: Sometimes you just have to listen to things for what they are and for what Breathe Carolina and their record are, it's not so bad. Sure they use far too much auto-tune than anybody should(though there are far worse abusers) and the screaming is just thrown in there, but it's really not all that bad.

This is probably why I like the genre to a certain extent.

more heart 08/20/09 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemontie (Post 52104232)
This is probably why I like the genre to a certain extent.

As do I. I have a soft spot for these guys and And Then There Were None. Otherwise there are some pretty terrible bands(Watchout! There's Ghosts) out there.

Klatzke 08/20/09 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dymytry Vance (Post 52039622)
Oooohhh 1ND13 CR3D!

Don't copy me.

Dymytry Vance 08/20/09 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klatzke (Post 52127292)
Don't copy me.

no.

Dymytry Vance 08/20/09 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by more heart (Post 52103462)
For Today and The Great Comission aren't post-hardcore either so I don't think you should be talking as if you know the genre.

I'm just going to come out and say this: Sometimes you just have to listen to things for what they are and for what Breathe Carolina and their record are, it's not so bad. Sure they use far too much auto-tune than anybody should(though there are far worse abusers) and the screaming is just thrown in there, but it's really not all that bad.

i think i can consider them p.h. if sksk can be...

more heart 08/21/09 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dymytry Vance (Post 52142202)
i think i can consider them p.h. if sksk can be...

No, you can't. For Today is straight up metalcore and The Great Comission is more along the lines of deathcore. Not really close to post-hardcore.