AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Breathe Carolina - Hello Fascination (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1276602)

live. 08/21/09 06:58 AM

Quote:

I must’ve been asleep when this takeover happened. This entire “genre” of techno/crunk/scream garbage just broke out overnight it seems.

You say this like you could have done something to stop it, but the truth is that it's bigger than all of us.:-(

CrashThisCar789 08/21/09 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supernovacaine (Post 52176662)
the lyric booklet should be an acceptable form of toilet paper, because similar to the quilted texture of toilet paper, both objects have a mundane, repetitive pattern.

Win.
And a hell yeah on the MacBook Drew. Once you go Mac, you never go back.

But in pertinence to the matter at hand, I wonder when people (not us people, THEM people, them mindless complacent people...) are going to realize that there's nothing new, refreshing, or innovative in combining two or three already successful genres into one; especially when the colors simply don't blend well. If I could take a stab at it, I'd say that the mentality behind purchasing a Breathe Carolina/Brokencyde "record", or going to one of their "shows" is thus: "OMG THEY SCREAM, WHICH I LOVE BECAUSE I GET MOIST WHEN PEOPLE SCREAM, AND THEY PRETEND TO GET PRETEEN ASS, WHICH IS BOTH ILLEGAL AND ONE OF MY HOBBIES, AND THEY DRINK GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF ALCOHOL DESPITE BEING UNDERAGE, WHICH I ALSO DO BECAUSE MY PARENTS DON'T KNOW HOW TO RAISE CHILDREN, AND THEY RAP, WHICH I REALLY DON'T LIKE, BUT I PRETEND TO BE ALL OLD SCHOOL WITH MY RUN DMC SHIRT BECAUSE IT MAKES ME SEEM LIKE I ACTUALLY KNOW MUSIC, DESPITE MY OBVIOUS CONTRADICTION OF THIS INFERENCE DUE TO MY ACTUAL ENJOYMENT OF THIS GARBAGE!! AND IT'S NEON, WHICH IS LIKE ME IN THAT IT INDUCES UNNECESSARY HEADACHES!! OH AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF, I CAN DANCE TO IT!!!1!!ONEONEONE!1!"

Save it. Go listen to Beggars. Help yourselves. Learn to appreciate all the good that music brings. This country still has one thing right, in that it hasn't taken away our music.

</rant>

Edit: And the political reference wasn't me trashing Obama, so don't get your panties in a wad. I love the dude. I was simply alluding to the idea that while we have the right to listen to whatever music we want, too many people are taking in destructive, infectious, and downright mind-numbing (in a bad way) "music".
Now </rant>.

JayBee420 08/21/09 07:16 AM

Im going to find a retarded kid, give him a gun, and tell him to aim for any dude in girl pants, eye liner, and neon. Yes, there may be some unwanted casualties, but, does it really matter? Listening to 5 seconds of this stuff makes me wish I was deaf.

CrashThisCar789 08/21/09 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBee420 (Post 52178382)
Im going to find a retarded kid, give him a gun, and tell him to aim for any dude in girl pants, eye liner, and neon. Yes, there may be some unwanted casualties, but, does it really matter? Listening to 5 seconds of this stuff makes me wish I was deaf.

Ouch broski. Make sure he takes the safety off.

xapplexpiex 08/21/09 07:23 AM

I picked up the new ATL disc at a Hot Topic last night. I saw this disc there too. I heard of this band, but I've never heard any of their music...good thing I got Nothing Personal instead, I've heard some bands like this and it's just not my kind of music. Nice (and funny) review, Drew. lol @ auditory diarrhea.

eversoinviting 08/21/09 07:41 AM

"Auditory diarrhea" haha.

Their are a couple of grammatical errors towards the end. Just saying...

Drew Beringer 08/21/09 07:41 AM

I understand if people think this is a harsh review or wish there was more description. But it is what it is, I (bravely lol) listened to this album 10 plus times, I listened to it 3 times on my 9 hour drive from Wisconsin to Indiana this past weekend to get a feel for it. But I felt like I would wasting my time and your time if I went into more descriptions with other songs because they all sound the same. Plus, I'm just having fun at the expense of Breathe Carolina, and why not? They are having fun at the expense of good music.

Anyways, JT from Hawthorne Heights liked my review haha http://twitter.com/JTHawthorne/status/3450668400

highfidelity203 08/21/09 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory Robson (Post 52177782)
I don't really get the appeal of bashing this. I realize its trite and dumb but this review could have been much crisper. I don't see the need to praise Drew for this. This was done sloppily and without regard for detail. It's so amateurish and its bothersome that people are gushing about it.

I completely agree with you. When reviewing something, even if you don't approve, I always thought that a responsible reviewer would put some effort into it. This review is in poor taste and doesn't prove anything other than that this site has gone over the top with bashing bands that they do not enjoy. I also believe that reviewing an album that you dislike with a somewhat neutral attitude poses a challenge that sets great reviewers apart from amateurs.

inthemidst 08/21/09 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory Robson (Post 52177782)
I don't really get the appeal of bashing this. I realize its trite and dumb but this review could have been much crisper. I don't see the need to praise Drew for this. This was done sloppily and without regard for detail. It's so amateurish and its bothersome that people are gushing about it.

The reason that this bashing is true is because "bands" like these are insulting to the scene. I believe in the right to market your "art" freely, but I also reserve the right to criticize something that has a mass appeal that doesn't deserve it. I don't necessarily believe that Drew wanted to send a negative review just for the hell of it, but I believe that he honestly analyzed the album, and found it extremely trite and lacking any kind of artistic appeal.

TriangularDuck 08/21/09 08:02 AM

This review is barely fucking true, it's like you listened to half of the songs off the album once and passed judgement. One song has a "breakdown", the screams are fairly scant in this album, and is usually much more suited to the song. No mention of there being actual guitars in every track? Hell, "Tripped and Fell in Portland," "Hello Fascination," "Can I Take You Home," and "Rescue" are mostly guitar or bass-driven, with Tripped and Fell being a fairly big stylistic change for the band. Dressed Up To Undress, Rescue, The Dressing Room, I.D.G.A.F., and Welcome to Savannah don't have "background screams" as far as I can remember, which composes almost half of the record. I.D.G.A.F. only has one scream at the start of the song, which makes it pretty funny that you single that song out in particular for background screams.

Beyond that, it's pretty easy to pick the different songs out from eachother, they did a much better job at making each song stand out as compared to It's Classy. You're not going to confuse the sparse beat of My Obsession to the thick, bouncy beat of Dressed Up To Undress, and to say that you would is insulting to both the band and your reader's intelligence.

This is just a bad review. And I'm not saying that because I rather enjoy the album, I'm saying it because it's bad. I've read several reviews of this album, and I think only two have been positive. However, I haven't had fundamental issues with the review like this one. I've done my time freelancing and in-house, and know what it takes to do good reviews, because I've been paid for them, something I sure hope you weren't for this trash. If you listened to the album "ten-plus" times, you should have written a review that actually accurately tells readers what this album sounds like, because you're pretty far off the mark in the one sentence in the review that you actually talk about the music, as opposed to their image, their fans, or their marketing.

MattDennis 08/21/09 08:05 AM

Hello Trash Can

foreverSWEET 08/21/09 08:08 AM

I don't quite enjoy this review, very poorly written just for a few cheap shots at a couple of bands. Personally, I believe that the album does showcase a few different sounds. I would listen to Breathe Carolina over Brokencyde or ISMFOF any day. Hello Fascination is much, much better than It's Classy, Not Classic could ever hope to be.

Drew Beringer 08/21/09 08:09 AM

Are you sure? Maybe you should put on "Tripped and Fell" and tell me about the screaming throughout the song, or maybe "The Dressing Room." There is a lot of screaming on this. And I spent more than a sentence on the music. I actually only spent one sentence on their marketing though, their "image" (even though all I mention is a neon coffin), and I did spend a few sentences on their fans because I don't understand what's so appealing about this band or genre. But that's just me, I don't really care if people dislike this review.

Drew Beringer 08/21/09 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverSWEET (Post 52180242)
I don't quite enjoy this review, very poorly written just for a few cheap shots at a couple of bands. Personally, I believe that the album does showcase a few different sounds. I would listen to Breathe Carolina over Brokencyde or ISMFOF any day. Hello Fascination is much, much better than It's Classy, Not Classic could ever hope to be.

That's like saying I rather have brown poop than green poop.

foreverSWEET 08/21/09 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highfidelity203 (Post 52179772)
I completely agree with you. When reviewing something, even if you don't approve, I always thought that a responsible reviewer would put some effort into it. This review is in poor taste and doesn't prove anything other than that this site has gone over the top with bashing bands that they do not enjoy. I also believe that reviewing an album that you dislike with a somewhat neutral attitude poses a challenge that sets great reviewers apart from amateurs.

This, and the post you quoted. Spot-on.