AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Breathe Carolina - Hello Fascination (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1276602)

:-) 08/21/09 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 52180322)
That's like saying I rather have brown poop than green poop.

:rotfl:

owned

Alex DiVincenzo 08/21/09 10:00 AM

Well said, Drew.

bobsheiskawy 08/21/09 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriangularDuck (Post 52180052)
This review is barely fucking true, it's like you listened to half of the songs off the album once and passed judgement. One song has a "breakdown", the screams are fairly scant in this album, and is usually much more suited to the song. No mention of there being actual guitars in every track? Hell, "Tripped and Fell in Portland," "Hello Fascination," "Can I Take You Home," and "Rescue" are mostly guitar or bass-driven, with Tripped and Fell being a fairly big stylistic change for the band. Dressed Up To Undress, Rescue, The Dressing Room, I.D.G.A.F., and Welcome to Savannah don't have "background screams" as far as I can remember, which composes almost half of the record. I.D.G.A.F. only has one scream at the start of the song, which makes it pretty funny that you single that song out in particular for background screams.

Beyond that, it's pretty easy to pick the different songs out from eachother, they did a much better job at making each song stand out as compared to It's Classy. You're not going to confuse the sparse beat of My Obsession to the thick, bouncy beat of Dressed Up To Undress, and to say that you would is insulting to both the band and your reader's intelligence.

This is just a bad review. And I'm not saying that because I rather enjoy the album, I'm saying it because it's bad. I've read several reviews of this album, and I think only two have been positive. However, I haven't had fundamental issues with the review like this one. I've done my time freelancing and in-house, and know what it takes to do good reviews, because I've been paid for them, something I sure hope you weren't for this trash. If you listened to the album "ten-plus" times, you should have written a review that actually accurately tells readers what this album sounds like, because you're pretty far off the mark in the one sentence in the review that you actually talk about the music, as opposed to their image, their fans, or their marketing.

this site seems to be turning into ultimate-guitar.com as far as band bashing goes. they aren't one of my favorite bands, and this isn't my favorite genre, but this album deserves a lot more credit than it is given. okay, it has beats and some auto-tune. so what? it is catchy and creative. unlike brokencyde, this band has decent screaming, and have made a diverse collection of songs. to people who actually want to give this album a chance before bashing it, check out "hello fascination," "welcome to savannah," "i have to go return some video tapes," "tripped and fell in portland," and "rescue."

2hxc4you 08/21/09 10:04 AM

on point review, this shit is pure garbage. TriangularDuck you are an idiot, the screams are awful.

Broclee 08/21/09 10:07 AM

:popcorn:

inthemidst 08/21/09 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory Robson (Post 52182992)
I beg to differ. But to each their own.

What's your opinion on the album, or the "genre" in general? Did you feel it was unfair because you enjoyed the album? Just curious...

highfidelity203 08/21/09 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthemidst (Post 52179882)
The reason that this bashing is true is because "bands" like these are insulting to the scene. I believe in the right to market your "art" freely, but I also reserve the right to criticize something that has a mass appeal that doesn't deserve it. I don't necessarily believe that Drew wanted to send a negative review just for the hell of it, but I believe that he honestly analyzed the album, and found it extremely trite and lacking any kind of artistic appeal.

I'm not a fan of Breathe Carolina but who are you to say what is insulting to this "scene" and what is not. I mean this site has so many elitist people that think just because they own the Brand New catalog and listen to their obscure indie bands that they are some sort of authority on music. (I am not trying to insult Brand New as their are one of my favorite bands I'm just using them as an example). Did you ever think that Breathe Carolina enjoys making this style of music, if you don't like it then don't listen. I'm sure if Drew's review was written more eloquently and less like someone out for blood then it would not be recieving such criticism. He shouldn't have taken the review.

FaceLixeMurder 08/21/09 10:33 AM

Indeed, that is all I have to say...

anamericangod 08/21/09 10:38 AM

Horrible shit. Fuck these guys.

Gregory Robson 08/21/09 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highfidelity203 (Post 52185392)
I'm not a fan of Breathe Carolina but who are you to say what is insulting to this "scene" and what is not. I mean this site has so many elitist people that think just because they own the Brand New catalog and listen to their obscure indie bands that they are some sort of authority on music. (I am not trying to insult Brand New as their are one of my favorite bands I'm just using them as an example). Did you ever think that Breathe Carolina enjoys making this style of music, if you don't like it then don't listen. I'm sure if Drew's review was written more eloquently and less like someone out for blood then it would not be recieving such criticism. He shouldn't have taken the review.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Gregory Robson 08/21/09 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthemidst (Post 52184792)
What's your opinion on the album, or the "genre" in general? Did you feel it was unfair because you enjoyed the album? Just curious...

I don't like the genre, but I'm not going to get on my high horse and knock it down just for the sake of knocking it down. Honestly, this album is crap, but it's not the worst stuff I've ever heard. I mean, William Hung once released an album. That was horrible and dreadful. In comparison to this, not so much. I think that this was written just as a slam job. I honestly do. And his lack of evidence is particular indicates that. The last paragraph just really lacked professionalism and I'm truly disappointed he didn't get more in depth.

Mibabalou 08/21/09 10:48 AM

i hate the world
this is music ???

lesterCorp. 08/21/09 10:49 AM

i read this review whilst listening to PDA by interpol and reminded me how good it is to have a real taste in music.

good review, these guys blow....hard.

inthemidst 08/21/09 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highfidelity203 (Post 52185392)

I understand what you mean, but this is just a personal opinion on my feelings towards this kind of "music". My choice of terminology was a little off. You're absolutely right; I don't have the right to speak on behalf of the "scene" because I don't really know what exactly the scene is. To be honest, I don't even know why I used that term. As far as Breathe Carolina, I'm sure they love making this music, otherwise they wouldn't do it. Who wouldn't enjoy making this music? It's easy to make, and it's entertaining. But it's not entertaining artistically, but it's entertaining in a more satirical sense. The reason I enjoyed the review is because you rarely see a negative review on AP.net, and I truly do believe that Drew assessed this album on the same basis as he does any other, and found this to be below average artistically. Who says that he has to pick an album he enjoyed to review? AP.net wasn't created to be an advertising campaign, but it was created to actively express our opinions on music within the rock umbrella. I'm sorry if my comments offended you, I was merely expressing my opinion, and supporting Drew's review.

Kill_the_radio 08/21/09 10:59 AM

Good review Drew. Thanks for publishing something we all feel about this band and album.