AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Tegan and Sara - Sainthood (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1395951)

Thedalylife 10/26/09 11:22 PM

This is definitely going to make an appearance in my top albums of '09. I know i'm in the minority that doesn't have The Con as their favorite Tegan and Sara album, and i thought that this record would continue the trend and make me long for the earlier sounds of So Jealous And If It Was You, but i was mistaken and Sainthood delivers on all fronts with Arrow and The Ocean being my two standouts.

Auals 10/26/09 11:25 PM

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a go at you personally mick2late. It's just that the amount of people who talk about it as the best album of the year are missing something.

I have no issue with them liking an album. It's their opinion (unless it's short stack) but album of the year should take a genre further, or envelope an idea perfectly. And I can't get past how much TDS sounds like a Starting Line cover band. Don't get me wrong, the album's great. But it's not AOTY material.

0s0 10/26/09 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by :-) (Post 56316052)
Holy fucking shit, 10 for reviewer tilt?
Whoa. What's wrong with doing it?

Because sometimes it's just like, "Meh, I'll get around to listening to it sometime" or "I'll just download the leak."

bigmike 10/26/09 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidchino08 (Post 56318602)
True but I think only to a certain extent

Uhhh, are you serious right now? Have you ever read a review? You're aware that reviews are all opinion based and, therefore, 100% biased?

Unreasonable 10/26/09 11:39 PM

I'm going to have to go and get this tomo... "better than The Con" ? That album grabbed me in the chest and wouldn't let go (could also have been the time I was going through then). Alas, I'm super excited for this now.

HopeInLove 10/26/09 11:45 PM

Maybe its just me, but I think The Con is a lot better of an album. That isn't saying this album isn't good, I have been listening to it almost exclusively for a few days. I think almost any song on The Con is better then the best songs on Sainthood.

HometownHero 10/26/09 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmike (Post 56320531)
Uhhh, are you serious right now? Have you ever read a review? You're aware that reviews are all opinion based and, therefore, 100% biased?

A guy picks up an album. It is of his favorite all time band. He reviews the album. Of course it comes out in the 90%-100% range. Now an impartial person picks up the same album never before hearing this band or even of them. Writes a review. It comes out 90% - 100%. Whose review is more accurate?

WakingTheMisery 10/26/09 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemichels (Post 56319561)
you don't like?

I find it to be on the boring side. Just more of the same. The Con was okay, this is something I won't go back to.

bigmike 10/26/09 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidchino08 (Post 56321022)
A guy picks up an album. It is of his favorite all time band. He reviews the album. Of course it comes out in the 90%-100% range. Now an impartial person picks up the same album never before hearing this band or even of them. Writes a review. It comes out 90% - 100%. Whose review is more accurate?

Neither because music is subjective. And Tegan and Sara isn't Drew's favorite band of all time. Awesome blanket statement that isn't correct.

HometownHero 10/26/09 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmike (Post 56321101)
Neither because music is subjective. And Tegan and Sara isn't Drew's favorite band of all time. Awesome blanket statement that isn't correct.

Did not say that. You assumed? That was just an example. Just a band that someone holds in high regard then. Likes alot.

bs7090 10/27/09 12:13 AM

not buying the hype on this. it leaves me bored. doesnt come close to the con for me.

bs7090 10/27/09 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakingTheMisery (Post 56321032)
I find it to be on the boring side. Just more of the same. The Con was okay, this is something I won't go back to.

this. The Con had some intense replay value that i wish this had.

bigmike 10/27/09 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidchino08 (Post 56321151)
Did not say that. You assumed? That was just an example. Just a band that someone holds in high regard then. Likes alot.

I did assume you were meaning Drew in your example. However, your example is still false given that music reviews are 100% opinion and opinions are subjective. This isn't something tangible that can be proven write or wrong.

abusedcat 10/27/09 01:11 AM

I haven't listened to a bit of this record, not even the single.
My first experience will be tomorrow, after I swing by Best Buy after class.
Favorite band.

Takk...Ros 10/27/09 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidchino08 (Post 56321151)
Did not say that. You assumed? That was just an example. Just a band that someone holds in high regard then. Likes alot.


I understand what you're saying, but isn't that what the reviewer tilt score is for? To let you know right off the bat how much a reviewer likes a band and you can therefore judge the review from that? (I could be wrong about that though. That's just what I've always assumed.)