AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Various Artists - Punk Goes '90s (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=140289)

verybarrywhyte 05/30/06 01:08 PM

no "Save Tonight"
no Savage Garden
no Semisonic

radxbandit 05/30/06 01:15 PM

what I really want to know is how are the Gin Blossoms and Toad The Wet Sprokcet covers

YourMusicSucks 05/30/06 01:24 PM

The cartel cover of wonderwall makes this worth it. Having loved the original... cartel made it very interesting and I can see some people liking it more than the original.

I love this series, but it could use a jazzed up direction. I think a "Punk goes punk" would be awesome. Or, in addition to covers, seeing if a few bands would write a song with the goal of being within whatever genre they're doing. I'd also like a 'Punk goes Punk'

Either: a) Have bands do an alexisonfire/moneen kind of thing and cover eachother's songs. b) Cover songs that are actually punk.

Both would go great, imho.

sell the sunris 05/30/06 01:27 PM

If this album had a different song selection and slightly different line-up, it might have actually been decent. I do agree with Scott that it's still too early to be doing a 90's tribute album BUT at the same time, it's 2006. It may feel like it's too early because we all vividly remember the 90's. I mean this is close to/around the time those Before You Were Punk compilations about 10 years ago. So it really isn't too soon, it just feels that way.

I agree about the 'no one should cover Oasis' bit, but only because I abhor both Gallaghers and their little band. But hey, that's just personal taste.

I also wish The Starting Line hadn't just coughed up an old demo, and yeah, SKSK did a nice job, but with a song that's been done masterfully by Stipe and then covered nicely by Tori Amos (why didn't anyone do her? Blueline Medic did a solid cover a few years back of 'Precious Things'), it's a hard one to live up to.

In the end, this probably suffers because a lot of the kids putting this comp. together didn't have a grasp on what they were really dealing with.

Anyway, agree with the review, though not with the entire opinion. Good work though.

lezsolt 05/30/06 01:31 PM

SKSK's cover is awesome (much better than the original), but the rest of the disc is bad. Gym Class Heroes still suck major ass.

BeerNSluts 05/30/06 01:34 PM

I'd like to hear a BEDlight covers album. You should hear their rendition of "To Be With You" by Mr. Big.

What needs to be done is a monster ballads cover. Not sure if anyone heard the "Monster Ballads" CD, but that would be my choice of covers. Hearing covers of Mr. Big, Skid Row, Warrant, White Lions, Damn Yankees, etc.

Also, the best cover on the album is the Gym Class Heroes. I'm not the biggest fan of them, but they definitely cover the song w/ their own style well.

PaintTheTarget 05/30/06 01:38 PM

I will say that this was a pretty dissapointing cd, but there were some good attempts. Most of these were just carbon copies of the original (ala Song 2) or were just terrible covers. Gym Class does a great job actually putting a different spin on Under the Bridge and I think the same can be said for SKSK, who actually do a great job making an astoundingly different version of Losing My Religion--regardless of whether you like their music, I think they may have done the best job covering a song and making it their own. I'm gonna disagree with you and say that Wonderwall is a great cover by Cartel--sure its pretty much the same thing as the original, but they picked the perfect lead singer to do the cover and blow you away with his vocals (watching the live video just posted is amazing btw). I just think you can't go wrong covering Wonderwall as I enjoyed this one and Ryan Adams' as well. Emery and Hit the Lights also do a pretty god job, I mean who didn't love Hey Jealousy when they were younger? And I'm a huge fan of Bleeding Through doing Stars--again pretty close to the original--but a very different BT than we're used to. So I can say I enjoyed a good 6 songs on the album, but the rest are just painful to listen to.

The only other Punk Cover series I'd like to see is the idea mentioned above similar to the Alexisonfire/Moneen split. It was a solid set of covers (I think they could have chosen better songs to do, but so be it) and its always fun to hear bands covering other bands, especially if they are very different in style. Somebody needs to get that going and then retire the series.

WSUskee 05/30/06 01:43 PM

Good review and I do agree with you for the most part. A lot of the songs we grew up on and it may be too early for a remake. Coming from the side of the label though they thought it would work out since a lot of punk fans now grew up on these songs. The standout track for me was easily Hey Jealousy by Hit the Lights.

turbonium 05/30/06 01:45 PM

scott weber = dumbass

jk

good review. i agree with it 98%.
(best song of the decade? hmmm... to each their own)

lesto17 05/30/06 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDSP
To even pretend that any of these songs are "good" is giving this album too much credit. The problem is that they picked the wrong type of song to cover. Instead of covering iconic 90s songs, they should have picked the dorky one-hit wonder type stuff. Think natalie imbruglia, chumbawumba, or matchbox 20. How the heck did they think having b-rate mall punk bands covering 'serious' 90s music would be a good idea? The reason the other punk goes albums worked, was because they covered the cheesy stuff. Imagine if they'd had Motion City Soundtrack covering Joy Division or Gang of Four on Punk Goes 80s. Disaster.

This guy has the right idea. Its all about song selection. Think about all of the songs on the previous Punk Goes... compilations, they were all catchy and slightly cheesy pop songs that people in the target audience recognized but wouldnt really regularly listen to. The difference here is that a lot of the songs selected for this are songs by bands that people in the target audience do listen to regularly. While I think that is what Scott was trying to say by saying it is too soon, i dont think the problem was time, but simply the song choices. As GDSP said they could have easily chosen cheesy pop songs from the 90s (because there are plenty), turned them into rockin covers, and made a great album.

radxbandit 05/30/06 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDSP
To even pretend that any of these songs are "good" is giving this album too much credit. The problem is that they picked the wrong type of song to cover. Instead of covering iconic 90s songs, they should have picked the dorky one-hit wonder type stuff. Think natalie imbruglia, chumbawumba, or matchbox 20. How the heck did they think having b-rate mall punk bands covering 'serious' 90s music would be a good idea? The reason the other punk goes albums worked, was because they covered the cheesy stuff. Imagine if they'd had Motion City Soundtrack covering Joy Division or Gang of Four on Punk Goes 80s. Disaster.

Just for the record, matchbox twenty is far from a one hit wonder. Try like...15 Top 20 singles. I'm just saying. And they dominate artists like chumbawumba and natalie

Scott Weber 05/30/06 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lezsolt
SKSK's cover is awesome (much better than the original), but the rest of the disc is bad. Gym Class Heroes still suck major ass.

wow.

DosAceos 05/30/06 01:50 PM

I'm curious where one could get that BEDlight Mr. Big Cover...

Scott Weber 05/30/06 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesto17
This guy has the right idea. Its all about song selection. Think about all of the songs on the previous Punk Goes... compilations, they were all catchy and slightly cheesy pop songs that people in the target audience recognized but wouldnt really regularly listen to. The difference here is that a lot of the songs selected for this are songs by bands that people in the target audience do listen to regularly. While I think that is what Scott was trying to say by saying it is too soon, i dont think the problem was time, but simply the song choices. As GDSP said they could have easily chosen cheesy pop songs from the 90s (because there are plenty), turned them into rockin covers, and made a great album.

Yeah, this is a great point.

GDSP 05/30/06 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesto17

Yeah, no amount of time is long enough to make an OK band's cover of a classic song good. Look at My Chemical Romance's Queen cover.