AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Various Artists - Punk Goes '90s (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=140289)

_all_star_me_ 05/30/06 09:44 PM

so i was thinking, wouldnt it have been radder had NO USE FOR A NAME put their cover of Enjoy the silence on this one?

bsstone737 05/31/06 05:26 AM

Isn't a bit harsh to say they should end the series here? You have to admit it's been a fun series, they just need to come up with something else. Punk Goes Country or Punk Goes Hip-Hop, something that would get some really unique covers. I personally would like to see more of the series....anyone else?

AShannon04 05/31/06 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDSP
To even pretend that any of these songs are "good" is giving this album too much credit. The problem is that they picked the wrong type of song to cover. Instead of covering iconic 90s songs, they should have picked the dorky one-hit wonder type stuff. Think natalie imbruglia, chumbawumba, or matchbox 20. How the heck did they think having b-rate mall punk bands covering 'serious' 90s music would be a good idea? The reason the other punk goes albums worked, was because they covered the cheesy stuff. Imagine if they'd had Motion City Soundtrack covering Joy Division or Gang of Four on Punk Goes 80s. Disaster.

good point. I hadn't thought about that.

AShannon04 05/31/06 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscradle
I just wanna see a punk goes disney cd. How sick would it be to hear a band cover "the circle of life" and other cheesy, yet classic disney songs?

that would kick so much ass.

sputniksignals 05/31/06 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AShannon04
that would kick so much ass.

you probably havent heard of the but...

the track record? yeah they do a cover of "whole new world" from aladdin. its pretty beastin i guess

nevenskoro 05/31/06 06:50 AM

paulson does a great cover of wonderwall

Lovewaslove 05/31/06 08:30 AM

Dear guy that wrote this review,
you are a ***, and an idiot

applesandcyanid 05/31/06 09:25 AM

The Killing Moon's track was my favorite on the album, Ryan's vocals weren't trying to mimic Alanis Morrisette at all. I've been listening to this band for 2 + years, that's just how Ryan's voice is. GCH were awesome too as were SKSK. That HTL cover made my ears bleed though.

Loch_Doun 05/31/06 11:03 AM

I love how everyone failed to mention the one stand-out track which is Emery's cover. The song sounds so good in the style that Emery used.

Scott Weber 05/31/06 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovewaslove
Dear guy that wrote this review,
you are a ***, and an idiot

Aw, thank you! You're too kind.

vancejf 05/31/06 01:23 PM

"One can only hope this is the end of the Punk Goes Decades series and that Fearless does not attempt a Punk Goes 00s compilation next."

Up next from Fearless: Punk Goes punk.

osunfg 05/31/06 01:41 PM

how the fuck do you make a 90's cover compilation without an mmmbop? WTF???? that really bothers me. a cover of that song sells itself, you cant lose. bands or fearless (whoever chooses the songs) are tards.

wtfemokid 05/31/06 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loch_Doun
I love how everyone failed to mention the one stand-out track which is Emery's cover. The song sounds so good in the style that Emery used.

i actually did, that's my fave song on the album, but i think ap ate my post.

blinkredstar 05/31/06 03:44 PM

I only like 3 songs on this album: TSL, Hit the Lights, and Cartel's tracks. :aimgrin:

CROMagnon 05/31/06 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loch_Doun

that's the only song i like