AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Weekly Nostalgia: The Explosion (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1590012)

Jeremy Aaron 03/10/10 08:18 AM

Weekly Nostalgia: The Explosion

A punk band bringing back the Spirit of '77 in the early years of the 21st Century seems like one of the unlikeliest acts to incite a major label bidding war, but after the success of their relentless debut full-length Flash Flash Flash, that's exactly what happened with The Explosion. Eventually landing at Virgin Records, the Boston quintet didn't water down their sound much with their jump to the majors, keeping their old-school punk revivalism largely intact and releasing Black Tape, another fiery and catchy set of fist-pumping anthems. After finishing up recording their third LP, they were dropped from Virgin, and ultimately decided to call it quits early in 2007, leaving behind only two albums and a handful of EPs. Their third album, Bury Me Standing, has had a few rumored drop dates, and was most recently reported to be coming out on Paper + Plastick, but has yet to be given an official release. If you've been missing out on The Explosion's work, there's no better time than now to check them out. We'd also love for you to share some of your stories and memories with us in the replies.

Jeremy Aaron 03/10/10 08:18 AM

"God Bless the S.O.S." (from Flash Flash Flash)

"Terrorist" (from Flash Flash Flash

"No Revolution"

"Here I Am" (from Black Tape)

"Go Blank" (from Black Tape)

ThisIsNotDan 03/10/10 08:35 AM

this band was so awesome. too bad Bury Me Standing never got released, cuz it rules

mun04ch86kin 03/10/10 08:42 AM

man i thought i was like the only person that really liked this band.

Kill_the_radio 03/10/10 08:44 AM

*sigh* I love weekly nostalgia!

pnkhrdwndr 03/10/10 08:45 AM

black tape is definitely some epic punk music

prefix-core 03/10/10 08:55 AM

God, do I miss this band! I became a fan around the time of the Sick of Modern Art E.P. (still one of my favorites) so when Black Tape hit...Well, it was quite a bit more polished. But it definitely didn't detract from the energy, the heart, or the hooks. Amazing record.

In 2005, I booked these guys to open up for the Bouncing Souls alongside the Loved Ones at my college radio station's annual concert...I remember the band hitting the stage with the frontman screaming "Y'ALL DON'T KNOW ME!" repeatedly for a few minutes before playing a single note. They killed it. But cleaning up the green room--shared by all three bands per their request--was another story. I've never seen more popcorn and empty J.D. bottles in my life. Memories.

Also? It should be noted that two of the members went on to join the Loved Ones.

davey666 03/10/10 09:26 AM

never heard of them.

similar artists? people that like this band also like:

james77 03/10/10 09:28 AM

These guys had some absolutely great songs. It's a shame I never saw them live. I have a feeling they'd be pretty good

Jeremy Aaron 03/10/10 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davey666 (Post 63390051)
never heard of them.

similar artists? people that like this band also like:

Why don't you just push play on one of the videos above and decide for yourself? I can't make it any easier for you to check them out.

not a lefty 03/10/10 09:45 AM

they were a bands band. dreamed it and lived it. rip!

SuNDaYSTaR 03/10/10 09:54 AM

Holy crap I totally forgot about these guys and how much I used to like them.

The Revisionist 03/10/10 09:58 AM

I always felt like I should really enjoy these guys, and I had Black Tape for the longest time but I just couldn't ever get into it.

walktheplank 03/10/10 10:04 AM

black tape is such a good record.

pennie 03/10/10 10:04 AM

I loved these so much.