AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  AP.net Remembers: Cap'n Jazz (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1643322)

Jeremy Aaron 04/14/10 03:40 AM

AP.net Remembers: Cap'n Jazz

Where's Weekly Nostalgia? Well, it hasn't exactly gone anywhere. We just beefed it up and gave it this new name. We'll still be paying tribute to those bands that made up the soundtrack for your high school summers, but we didn't want to limit ourselves to the recently departed. Rest assured that each week, we'll be shining the spotlight on a band from yesteryear that's shaped the music of today. Few bands exemplify humble beginnings spawning something hugely influential quite like Cap'n Jazz. I mean here's a band that contained both Tim and Mike Kinsella (who pretty much are Midwestern indie-rock) and Davey Von Bohlen (from a little band we've featured in this spot called The Promise Ring). Now, being an antecedent for greatness doesn't really imply anything (I imagine even I must have had an ancestor somewhere along the line who was a douchebag), Cap'n Jazz's music, however little of it there was-- just a single full-length and a few singles and miscellaneous tracks were all they produced, most of which appear on the Analphabetapolothology collection-- is more than satisfying. Their chaotic, messy tunes and fly-off-the-hinges rhythms might take the non-initiated some time to get used to, but no band sounded like they had as much fun making music as Cap'n Jazz. It's pretty safe to say that no one else could have pulled off a ramshackle cover of A-Ha's "Take On Me", turning a piece of vintage schmaltz into some fractured and utterly exuberant noise that's infinitely more entertaining than the polished original. And speaking of nostalgia, even if their music never filled your old playlists, Cap'n Jazz sound so completely youthful, it's hard to listen to their songs and not be transported to a better (or at least different) time, when living for the minute was all you knew, when the past and future didn't weigh on your mind in the least. And if that doesn't do it for you, well, at least they've got a song called "Little League".

Jeremy Aaron 04/14/10 03:40 AM

"Oh Messy Life" (live)

"We Are Scientists" (Live)

"Que Suerte" (live)

troubledbyinsects 04/14/10 04:11 AM

good God, i fucking love Cap'n Jazz. everything about them was incredible. fuck.

Tautou107 04/14/10 04:51 AM

This is making me want to go listen to Analphabetapolothology. Love me some Cap'n Jazz.

TheProsAndCons 04/14/10 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caoyiqian (Post 65351242)
i think you are right man, i will follow you.
www.housewifesbook.com/
get free coupons

I'll follow you, if you follow me http://nobrain.dk

DogSizedBird 04/14/10 05:14 AM

This band is amazing, but I like The Promise Ring and American Football better. Still everything these guys have done is great.

Mochem 04/14/10 05:33 AM

Cap'n Jazz is one of those bands that I wish I were around for. Seeing a show of theirs would have been awesome. I know that they're reuniting and technically I could see them, but I'm sure it won't be exactly the same.

introduction 04/14/10 05:36 AM

Cap'n Jazz is just one of those bands.

jrtbighurt 04/14/10 06:28 AM

I wish I could see them in DC but I'm going to be out of town. Tragic :-(

SuNDaYSTaR 04/14/10 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochem (Post 65351792)
Cap'n Jazz is one of those bands that I wish I were around for. Seeing a show of theirs would have been awesome. I know that they're reuniting and technically I could see them, but I'm sure it won't be exactly the same.

I hear you. Awesome avatar, by the way.

LagwagonX8 04/14/10 07:02 AM

god I love this band...and take it as a good thing or a bad thing but Scary Kids Scaring Kids wouldn't be the same band they are if it weren't for these guys...I saw Owen a while back and it was dope

ACA 04/14/10 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LagwagonX8 (Post 65353562)
god I love this band...and take it as a good thing or a bad thing but Scary Kids Scaring Kids wouldn't be the same band they are if it weren't for these guys...I saw Owen a while back and it was dope

After Dark EP is excellent. What they've done since isn't worthwhile, but they did put out one awesome six-song effort.

-ACA

yellowhouse 04/14/10 08:03 AM

Yes. What a great band.

isntnikione 04/14/10 08:10 AM

Cannot wait for them to announce their European tour. aaaaaaaaaah

evvandflow 04/14/10 08:15 AM

i love everything kinsella.