AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  The 25 Best Current Live Bands According to Spin (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=165394)

boysdontcry17 08/23/06 12:56 PM

turbonegro should be higher on a higher place

PunkENG 08/23/06 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4093592)
i dont know much about gogol but arent they like one of those NYC specific acts that most music hipsters like? moneen and meY dont fit that as much as gogol does at least to me. iono, i dont see it as that bad of a list as it could of been but maybe thats just me.

I dunno Gogol is a band full of Ukranian's who play fiddles, accordians, and giant drums and have a bunch of gypsy chicks dancing around. I didn't even know that Spin would have a clue who they were.

spencersface 08/23/06 12:59 PM

Disappointing. I'll probably get flamed for this, but TOOL and NIN should be on there. I don't care at what spot.

Elijscott 08/23/06 12:59 PM

Oh and mewithoutfreakinyou should have been on this list. NEAR THE TOP OF IT, IN FACT. And anathallo.

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 01:00 PM

MCR sucks live and the hives should be higher

Jason Tate 08/23/06 01:01 PM

There is NO way MCR should be on that list and The Living End not be.

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmE

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 01:01 PM

Replace any mention of MCR/AFI with Thrice and that'll be fine. Deadbolt live could make the comatose come alive.

ryanisarealboy 08/23/06 01:02 PM

gayyyy

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 01:03 PM

oh and throw some TBS on there in the teens. and maybe some powerspace (ya'll don't know yet, but you will) in the 20's.

PunkENG 08/23/06 01:03 PM

Well I will agree that Riverboat Gamblers deserve to be on there. Their lead singer does his entire performance running around the audience.

TripleW24 08/23/06 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 4093636)
There is NO way MCR should be on that list and The Living End not be.

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmE

the living end are great live and i also think new found glory and less than jake are two amazing live bands.

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkENG (Post 4093656)
Well I will agree that Riverboat Gamblers deserve to be on there. Their lead singer does his entire performance running around the audience.

sounds annoying

BeerNSluts 08/23/06 01:04 PM

Screw that list. No heavy metal bands on that list? No Gwar? Fuck Spin.

arizonahotrock 08/23/06 01:05 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure why Thrice isn't on there...they don't have anything in terms of theatrics, but I've never seen a band just tear up their songs like Thrice does live. Also, did I miss it or was Coheed not on there? If not, that's a damn shame...

Scott Weber 08/23/06 01:05 PM

even though everyone is saying they should be on it, TBS does not deserve to be on that list. the crowd sings half of their set (in all fairness I haven't seen them in 3 years) and Adam's rarely in tune.

Smithers 08/23/06 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerNSluts (Post 4093670)

that's what i don't get the most.

metal shows >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>> any other type of rock show.

Jason Tate 08/23/06 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleW24 (Post 4093663)
the living end are great live and i also think new found glory and less than jake are two amazing live bands.

The Living End is phenomenal live. And NFG and LTJ are pretty good too.

alexwohl29_90 08/23/06 01:06 PM

Anathallo, Dillinger, The Blood Brother's...all sweet live bands.

I want to see Arcade Fire. I love them, but I'm surprised they are number 3

Jason Tate 08/23/06 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithers (Post 4093683)
that's what i don't get the most.

metal shows >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>> any other type of rock show.

They lose out just because of the fat dudes in wifebeaters.

Jason Tate 08/23/06 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Weber (Post 4093681)
even though everyone is saying they should be on it, TBS does not deserve to be on that list. the crowd sings half of their set (in all fairness I haven't seen them in 3 years) and Adam's rarely in tune.

Agree completely.

brooklynburning 08/23/06 01:07 PM

my chemical romance ranking higher then the flaming lips? travesty.

moneen should have been top 10. honorable mentions include: murder by death, every time i die, emery, death cab for cutie, and anathallo

PunkENG 08/23/06 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerNSluts (Post 4093670)

Gwar is fucking awesome, but how long does it take them to put all that fucking prostetics on?

com(?) 08/23/06 01:09 PM

But MCR are shit live

Jason Tate 08/23/06 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4093723)
yall need to realize that this isnt a list for yalls "scene". this is basically a list made for bands that are listened to by the masses that are exceptionally good or are cool for hipsters to like and put on great theatrical shows. of course thrice and thursday put on great live shows but noone outside of this scene would think so. while on the other hand i think anyone no matter who they are when seeing a U2 show will realize how jawdropping and awesome it is. all of this talk though makes me feel like AP.net should make their own list for the "scene", that would be cool, along with that whole "top singers in the scene" list. AP.net overall should start making lists, although i dont know how they would be composed. it is a good idea though.

Why don't you help get it started? Maybe a poll in the general forum? or something like that?

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4093723)
yall need to realize that this isnt a list for yalls "scene". this is basically a list made for bands that are listened to by the masses that are exceptionally good or are cool for hipsters to like and put on great theatrical shows. of course thrice and thursday put on great live shows but noone outside of this scene would think so. while on the other hand i think anyone no matter who they are when seeing a U2 show will realize how jawdropping and awesome it is. all of this talk though makes me feel like AP.net should make their own list for the "scene", that would be cool, along with that whole "top singers in the scene" list. AP.net overall should start making lists, although i dont know how they would be composed. it is a good idea though.

Thrice isn't a "scene" band. If you go to the show, get in the crowd and just listen to the music, you'll be blown away.

Scott Weber 08/23/06 01:10 PM

other bands with fantastic live shows:

mxpx
fsf (gleason-era)

castaway 08/23/06 01:10 PM

murder by death.

ProjectMayhem33 08/23/06 01:11 PM

thursday should be on there as well as thrice and coheed as earlier mentioned , MCR is probably the shittiest band on that list by far, such a travesty to even put them on the list, i saw them open for green day (also overrated live) and they were absolutly terrible

Smithers 08/23/06 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 4093693)
They lose out just because of the fat dudes in wifebeaters.

good point. plus i've noticed the hot girl ratio is significantly lower at metal shows.

brooklynburning 08/23/06 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Weber (Post 4093735)
other bands with fantastic live shows:

mxpx
fsf (gleason-era)

Correct. MXPX has never disappointed and fsf during the gleason...year? were amazing live.

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4093747)
haha yes it is a "scene" band in that most people in masses have no idea who they are and only people that visits websites liek this really care about them.

If by scene you mean that they're of the punk/alternative/whatever the hell you want to call it genre, then yeah I guess you're right. But otherwise, you're just flat out wrong. I know a shit ton of people in both Georgia and Arizona that love Thrice who have never once heard of this or any such website. Sorry, but you're making a gigantic assumption based on little knowledge.

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4093780)
i would but just all of the people in here yelling TBS should be on there makes me feel like it wouldnt turn out well. i really dont trust the opinions on here to make a decent list, the Spin one would prob be more credible. maybe the whole AP staff could do a vote or something. granted i dont like most staff members tastes, like yours for example, but i think there are enough staff members covering all aspects of the scene that it would come out better than if the masses on here did one. maybe its too much work though just for a stupid list. i dont care that much, just throwing the idea out there, i sort of dont care enough to organize something, its your site do what you want.

you talk too much n00b

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youareallfreaks (Post 4093796)
you talk too much n00b

No, he's 100% right about that. TBS should not ever be mentioned in the same sentence as many of the bands on that top 25 list. Really sweet hair-dos don't make up for horribly off key vocals and shoddy guitar work live.

colormecadence 08/23/06 01:19 PM

True, Thrice isn't a "scene" band, but they have a scene audience other than those who are in the record industry. On another note, I don't even thin you need to see U2 live in person to know they belong on top or near the top of this list, just watch one of their DVDs... I know I'm a big fan and all, but its simply 2 hours of pure, straight-up passion ffrom the last 30 years. Undeniable, multigeneraltional and the power to inact changes in world political policy since about 1990, U2 owns.

[Mike] 08/23/06 01:21 PM

No TREOS or Rise Against?

And MCR blows live.

chi town playa 08/23/06 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youareallfreaks (Post 4093652)
oh and throw some TBS on there in the teens. and maybe some powerspace (ya'll don't know yet, but you will) in the 20's.

for real? I didn't know that terrible off-key vocals, lazy simple bass lines, decent shredding with a back flip or two thrown in made for a good live band. could of fooled me.

and for the record im talking about powerspace, not TBS. the offkey vocals are expected with adam.

Scott Weber 08/23/06 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklynburning (Post 4093758)
Correct. MXPX has never disappointed and fsf during the gleason...year? were amazing live.

gleason was with FSF for a long time, dude. at least 2 years...maybe 3

Neptune 08/23/06 01:26 PM

i guess rolling stone has never heard of the liars.

smallbutfeisty 08/23/06 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballstothewall (Post 4093405)
its nice to see that Fall Out Boy did not make the list, they are the worst live band

i disagree...they've been incredible every time i've seen them live.

i was surprised that mcr made the list. i've always heard their live shows are terrible and they certainly were awful when i saw them at warped.

chi town playa 08/23/06 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4093908)
actually i am not that new, ive just been banned more times than i can count. i could easily of been to this site before you. and this powerspace shit seriosuly sucks. i just checked it out. i love how you list ashley parker angel as APA in your sig so noone can tell who they sound like and dont hate on you cause i am sure if you spelled out APA everyone would be shitting on you. tool.

if scene points were still around, you'd of just earned yourself some.

brooklynburning 08/23/06 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Weber (Post 4093876)
gleason was with FSF for a long time, dude. at least 2 years...maybe 3

oh really? i didnt think it was that long...i knew they toured for a long time in support of How to Start a Fire...oh well. my fault.

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi town playa (Post 4093859)
for real? I didn't know that terrible off-key vocals, lazy simple bass lines, decent shredding with a back flip or two thrown in made for a good live band. could of fooled me.

and for the record im talking about powerspace, not TBS. the offkey vocals are expected with adam.

oh snap. the chi town playaaa is in the house!

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4093908)
actually i am not that new, ive just been banned more times than i can count. i could easily of been to this site before you. and this powerspace shit seriosuly sucks. i just checked it out. i love how you list ashley parker angel as APA in your sig so noone can tell who they sound like and dont hate on you cause i am sure if you spelled out APA everyone would be shitting on you. tool.

i love it too.

edit: i changed it. you can stop wetting your panties now.

sayyes 08/23/06 01:35 PM

i've never seen them live, but the way everyone talks about them live (and this being a mostly mainstream list) i figured Muse would be on there.

Melissa Johnson 08/23/06 01:35 PM

I've seen the Hives live..And they fucking SUCK.

love_american_style 08/23/06 01:35 PM

WTF?!?! No nine inch nails? No Dillenger Escape Plan? fuck this list.

chi town playa 08/23/06 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youareallfreaks (Post 4093928)
oh snap. the chi town playaaa is in the house!

better recognize.

and i like how there was no rebuttal to anything i said.

smallbutfeisty 08/23/06 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Weber (Post 4093681)

They were decent when I saw them live in April, but I definitely agree that they shouldn't be on the list.

JohnnyValo 08/23/06 01:36 PM

How is Pearl Jam not on this list?!?!?!?!?

chi town playa 08/23/06 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4093955)
thanks, but i am sure if they were still around i would have -1000000 total cause most stuff i say on here gets hated on.

oh well what are you gonna do?

keep hatin on fools.

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4093955)
thanks, but i am sure if they were still around i would have -1000000 total cause most stuff i say on here gets hated on.

Nah, the more hated on you are, the more scene points you gain.