AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  The 25 Best Current Live Bands According to Spin (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=165394)

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4093955)
thanks, but i am sure if they were still around i would have -1000000 total cause most stuff i say on here gets hated on.

Nah, the more hated on you are, the more scene points you gain.

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi town playa (Post 4093972)
better recognize.

and i like how there was no rebuttal to anything i said.

well i could take your opinion, some dude on a messageboard. or johnny minardi's opinion, who said it's that specific show you were talking about was the "best live show he's ever seen." i could also take the opinion of 2 major labels who are giving them offers after seeing their live show. but hey, what the fuck do they know?

MasonR5 08/23/06 12:43 PM

where's ashlee simpson?

xxforyouifallxx 08/23/06 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Weber (Post 4093415)
Hahahaha My Chemical Romance is not good live. It's so rehearsed. It's basically a scripted show to get pre-teen girls to yell "fuck" back and forth with the band. "When I say fuck, you say you, 'fuck, you, fuck, you'". Lame. And they don't sound that great either.

I could not agree more with this statement.

IcedOpethBlind 08/23/06 12:43 PM

The Hives?
blasphemy.

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youareallfreaks (Post 4094003)
well i could take your opinion, some dude on a messageboard. or johnny minardi's opinion, who said it's that specific show you were talking about was the "best live show he's ever seen." i could also take the opinion of 2 major labels who are giving them offers after seeing their live show. but hey, what the fuck do they know?

When was the last time a really good band signed to a major record label and put out a really good album thereafter?

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoldFastHope (Post 4094048)
When was the last time a really good band signed to a major record label and put out a really good album thereafter?

maybe tate will want to take this one, but uh, over it.

lackofcolour 13 08/23/06 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sob (Post 4093407)
that list is so far off its not even funny. 8. The Hives? are you kidding me?

Are you serious? Have you seen the Hives live? They are fucking insane on stage. Its not about whether or not you like them. It's about how they perform.

werealldudes19 08/23/06 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroppedUrPocket (Post 4093450)
Moneen isn't on the list at number one, so this list is invalid.

they are fucking amazing

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4094040)
trust me, those 2 major labels are giving them offers because they saw the show and knew that either 13 yr old girls or just idiot teenagers would eat the shit up and give them tons of money. i doubt they gave them an offer because they were as good as U2 live. i'm sure the aspect of the band that most interested the labels are the words "ashley parker angel" and that they fit the whole current music trend of bloc party/panic!/killers sounding electronic crap. just because this band is going to make a lot of fat old white men rich and cream a lot fo 13 yr olds panties doesnt mean they have a top 25 live show and are up there with U2 and Mars Volta. this shit band you love will be here and gone tomorrow. that is, if they ever really do get a deal.

were you at the show? are you in a band? i'm not going to attack your band because i don't stoop to that level, but i'm just curious.

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youareallfreaks (Post 4094064)
maybe tate will want to take this one, but uh, over it.

Haven't given them enough of a listen to judge, but by major I'm talking about the serious major record labels like: Universal, Sony, EMI, BMG, and Warner Bros (for clarification).

tricky86 08/23/06 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoldFastHope (Post 4094089)
Haven't given them enough of a listen to judge, but by major I'm talking about the serious major record labels like: Universal, Sony, EMI, BMG, and Warner Bros (for clarification).

Ummmm...Taking Back Sunday

JunkBondTrader 08/23/06 12:51 PM

Red Hot Chili Peppers are the fucking best live band around, U2 is good but RHCP is fucking phenomenol, no one is better than them period...

...i love the kids saying OMG MONEEN blah blah insert some small ass band that couldnt hold a candle to alot of those bands....you guys are idiots.....like 3 bands mentioned on this website can play for over an hour.....alot of the bands on that list play 2-3 hour sets.

tricky86 08/23/06 12:52 PM

Something Corporate and Muse both belong on this list as well

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricky86 (Post 4094115)
Ummmm...Taking Back Sunday

Pre-major albums were so far beyond compared to since that you must be joking

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoldFastHope (Post 4094089)

i mean, you know virgin is under EMI right? i don't really get your point. do you feel no bands/artists have ever gone major and put out a good record? didn't kanye like, just do that?

Scott Weber 08/23/06 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklynburning (Post 4093920)
oh really? i didnt think it was that long...i knew they toured for a long time in support of How to Start a Fire...oh well. my fault.

well remember that Chris Carrabba quit before Moon is Down even came out in stores, so Gleason was the singer for all that time before HTSAF even came out...then he sang all the way up to recording Hide Nothing. It was definitely a 3 year span.

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JunkBondTrader (Post 4094123)
Red Hot Chili Peppers are the fucking best live band around, U2 is good but RHCP is fucking phenomenol, no one is better than them period...

...i love the kids saying OMG MONEEN blah blah insert some small ass band that couldnt hold a candle to alot of those bands....you guys are idiots.....like 3 bands mentioned on this website can play for over an hour.....alot of the bands on that list play 2-3 hour sets.

I need to see both before I die.

xgloryxboyx 08/23/06 12:54 PM

What about Steel Train?
Or Anathallo?
Or House Of Fools?
Or Rx Bandits?

TripleW24 08/23/06 12:54 PM

I don't know if anyone mentioned Reggie and the Full Effect, but James' live show is full of energy and hilarious.

fgevilmonkey 08/23/06 12:54 PM

Love seeing all the people shouting out names of small times bands that they actually expect would be on this list (TREOS, Dillinger Escape Plan, Anathallo) It's fine to shout out the names of bands you think are good live but why you would ever think Spin would put them in their magazine I have no idea.

Haven't seen the Arcade Fire yet but I really want to, and even though I haven't seen them yet, from all things I hear the Decemberists are a band that realistically could have and should have made that list. I'd be curious to know if anyone's ever seen a Spoon show and if they're good live.

As far as scene bands that do live shows right by me, Brand New never fails to put on a great show and Gatsby's American Dream really knows how to get a crowd going (as my friend likes to say, Nic is one of the greatest frontmen out there)

chi town playa 08/23/06 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youareallfreaks (Post 4094003)

crowley beat me to it, but basically everything he said i agree with. and i'm sure johnny minardi had dollar signs in his eyes when he said that too. major labels talk to bands a lot more often than you think most of the time to scoop them up and groom them to be the poster boys of MTV for a month or 2. they take shitty bands and give them good equipment, good sound guys and throw them on a big tour, make tons of cash off of them and then they cut them free when they've lost their appeal to the masses of 13 yr. olds. the lable reps at that show saw the bros and teenyboppers in the crowd and said "this is a band that is marketable." powerspace isn't getting anywhere on their musical abilities, ecspecially not in a live setting.

DroppedUrPocket 08/23/06 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JunkBondTrader (Post 4094123)

Regardless of whether a band is small or not, that doesn't mean that they put less heart, energy, talent, or showmanship into their music. Good job.

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youareallfreaks (Post 4094143)
i mean, you know virgin is under EMI right? i don't really get your point. do you feel no bands/artists have ever gone major and put out a good record? didn't kanye like, just do that?

Yeah, that's why I clarified and said strictly with the major labels. Otherwise we could say TREOS did since they release BTHATS with Triple Crown since technically they're a part of Warner music.

fgevilmonkey 08/23/06 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoldFastHope (Post 4094048)

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Their Capitol Records debut is un-fucking-believeable aside from one off-putting techno song.

HoldFastHope 08/23/06 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgevilmonkey (Post 4094169)
Love seeing all the people shouting out names of small times bands that they actually expect would be on this list (TREOS, Dillinger Escape Plan, Anathallo) It's fine to shout out the names of bands you think are good live but why you would ever think Spin would put them in their magazine I have no idea.

Haven't seen the Arcade Fire yet but I really want to, and even though I haven't seen them yet, from all things I hear the Decemberists are a band that realistically could have and should have made that list. I'd be curious to know if anyone's ever seen a Spoon show and if they're good live.

As far as scene bands that do live shows right by me, Brand New never fails to put on a great show and Gatsby's American Dream really knows how to get a crowd going (as my friend likes to say, Nic is one of the greatest frontmen out there)

As much as I love Gatsby's, they'll never make a top 25 list like this because it's not what they're about. They play to much smaller venues and don't try to pander to anyone, but rather just play an awesome show (which some misinterpret).

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi town playa (Post 4094176)
crowley beat me to it, but basically everything he said i agree with. and i'm sure johnny minardi had dollar signs in his eyes when he said that too. major labels talk to bands a lot more often than you think most of the time to scoop them up and groom them to be the poster boys of MTV for a month or 2. they take shitty bands and give them good equipment, good sound guys and throw them on a big tour, make tons of cash off of them and then they cut them free when they've lost their appeal to the masses of 13 yr. olds. the lable reps at that show saw the bros and teenyboppers in the crowd and said "this is a band that is marketable." powerspace isn't getting anywhere on their musical abilities, ecspecially not in a live setting.

wow dude, they write more complex songs musically than the practically all of the simple 3 chord poppunk bands out there and they have the gift of melody.

i love it seems like you view anything that has the potential to be successful in the mainstream as "shitty." also, i'm sure he did have dollar signs in his eyes. he is helping run a business.

you're acting like you want to protect them from the evil labels more than anything. don't worry, they are big boys and they can handle themselves.

saysmydoctor 08/23/06 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballstothewall (Post 4093405)
its nice to see that Fall Out Boy did not make the list, they are the worst live band

True that.

tcemoo 08/23/06 01:01 PM

this list needs more Thursday.

fgevilmonkey 08/23/06 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoldFastHope (Post 4094217)
As much as I love Gatsby's, they'll never make a top 25 list like this because it's not what they're about. They play to much smaller venues and don't try to pander to anyone, but rather just play an awesome show (which some misinterpret).

Right... that's why I mentioned them after I mentioned all the bands I thought realistically could have made it.

Alex DiVincenzo 08/23/06 01:03 PM

Out of the handfull I've seen, they aren't anything too special for the most part.

wiReZ 08/23/06 01:03 PM

where is...

REGGIE AND THE FULL EFFECT

it was the funnest show I've been to ALL year...hell, the last 2 years.

Fluxation
Reggie
Common Denominator

2 hours of good music.

spencersface 08/23/06 01:06 PM

oh yeah 311 should be on this list as well as tool and nine inch nails.

chi town playa 08/23/06 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youareallfreaks (Post 4094244)
wow dude, they write more complex songs musically than the practically all of the simple 3 chord poppunk bands out there and they have the gift of melody.

i love it seems like you view anything that has the potential to be successful in the mainstream as "shitty." also, i'm sure he did have dollar signs in his eyes. he is helping run a business.

you're acting like you want to protect them from the evil labels more than anything. don't worry, they are big boys and they can handle themselves.

saying that they make more complex songs needs to be put in context. yes they make more complex songs than a 3 chord punk band because they have that cutting edge dance vibe to them. oh yeah and they play techno beats through a laptop. thats WAY more complex.

and i don't view any potentially successful band in a bad way, i just view the really bad ones that way. there are tons of smaller bands that have potential to be succeessful, and when a band like this is being courted by majors and and big-name indies that aggravates the hell out of me. they are just riding this new dance pop-punk wave and despite having a really solid clean sounding recording, (for the record the songs on myspace aren't bad. the production is good and the vocals are too) they cannot do those recordings any justice live. the singer is just flat out bad. he's a good showman with his blazer and aviators and acrobatics, but as far as singing goes (that's what he is right? a singer?) he's really bad live.

let them get hung out to dry by a major.

Jeremytheturtle 08/23/06 01:10 PM

I know they wouldn't make the list and hope they never get big enough to make a list like this but Big D and the Kids table never dissapoints, both in the sound and entertainment factors. I also agree with whoever said Flogging Molly. Rancid is another band that i have seen multiple times with out disapointment. And the best band that i have seen live is the Aquabats. In areas besides punk, Poison is great live, and the one band i make sure i catch whenever they come around.

TripleW24 08/23/06 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiReZ (Post 4094277)
where is...

REGGIE AND THE FULL EFFECT

it was the funnest show I've been to ALL year...hell, the last 2 years.

Fluxation
Reggie
Common Denominator

2 hours of good music.

exactly

chi town playa 08/23/06 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremytheturtle (Post 4094342)
I know they wouldn't make the list and hope they never get big enough to make a list like this but Big D and the Kids table never dissapoints, both in the sound and entertainment factors. I also agree with whoever said Flogging Molly. Rancid is another band that i have seen multiple times with out disapointment. And the best band that i have seen live is the Aquabats. In areas besides punk, Poison is great live, and the one band i make sure i catch whenever they come around.

this is rare! someone who listens to punk on absolutepunk.net!

gregxthor 08/23/06 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straylighthaste (Post 4093416)
mewithoutyou. where the eff are they

Holy shit, yes! mewithoutYou is fucking insane live. One of the most...interesting bands I've ever seen. I saw them once at Nokia Theater, NYC with CO&CA and dredg. Another at Toad's Place, New Haven CT with minusthebear and Thursday. I think that those bands should also be up on there.

The Mars Volta should be higher on the list, they are amazing muscians and have a crqzy live show (so I hear). Also, AFI was great when I saw them back in 2003, pre-Sing The Sorrow (Feb '03) and post (around like July/August 03?)

The Receiving End of Sirens... they blew away Circa Survive when I saw them. That's all I needed to see.

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi town playa (Post 4094321)
saying that they make more complex songs needs to be put in context. yes they make more complex songs than a 3 chord punk band because they have that cutting edge dance vibe to them. oh yeah and they play techno beats through a laptop. thats WAY more complex.

and i don't view any potentially successful band in a bad way, i just view the really bad ones that way. there are tons of smaller bands that have potential to be succeessful, and when a band like this is being courted by majors and and big-name indies that aggravates the hell out of me. they are just riding this new dance pop-punk wave and despite having a really solid clean sounding recording, (for the record the songs on myspace aren't bad. the production is good and the vocals are too) they cannot do those recordings any justice live. the singer is just flat out bad. he's a good showman with his blazer and aviators and acrobatics, but as far as singing goes (that's what he is right? a singer?) he's really bad live.

let them get hung out to dry by a major.

okay. as long as you admit that. now just know a few things:

- that was maybe their 10th show, ever.
- they had a brand new (not very good) drummer for that show who had only played with them a for a week before it.
- they now have their original drummer back who is flat out insane at drums.
- they are only going up in terms of live performances. the singer is relatively new to singing, he obviously has a gift and he just needs to hone it.

i understand you have a band or a friend's band or just know of a few bands that you think deserve to be signed, but hating on a band that has a very good chance of getting signed will not get you anywhere. their whole goal is to blow up and help all their friends bands get big too.

reductiondesign 08/23/06 01:18 PM

Where are Green Day and Motion City?

love_american_style 08/23/06 01:20 PM

NOFX is also a great band to see live.

punk shawn 08/23/06 01:20 PM

mars volta should be much higher

ColourandShape 08/23/06 01:24 PM

spin blows

spencersface 08/23/06 01:26 PM

...primus should also be on there.

transylvanian 08/23/06 01:27 PM

25. Comets on Fire - I haven't heard
24. The Mars Volta - YES
23. AFI - NO; better on album
22. LCD Soundsystem - YES
21. Against Me! - YES
20. Gogol Bordello - YES
19. Art Brut - YES; in fact, why even buy the record
18. My Morning Jacket - Can't comment
17. The Roots - YES
16. The Flaming Lips - YES
15. Riverboat Gamblers - NO; this band sucks
14. Yeah Yeah Yeah's - YES
13. My Chemical Romance - Kindof.... good visual show but Gerard kindof can't sing
12. Turbonegro - NO
11. Queens of the Stone Age - NO
10 The Dirtbombs - NO
9. Prince - NO
8. The Hives - NO; also better on the record
7. Green Day - YES
6. The White Stripes - YES; despite allusions to a drum machine
5. Radiohead - NO; overrated
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers - NO; old hacks past their time
3. Arcade Fire - YES
2. The Stooges - NO; also past their time
1. U2 - NO; worst band of all time

chi town playa 08/23/06 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youareallfreaks (Post 4094387)
okay. as long as you admit that. now just know a few things:

- that was maybe their 10th show, ever.
- they had a brand new (not very good) drummer for that show who had only played with them a for a week before it.
- they now have their original drummer back who is flat out insane at drums.
- they are only going up in terms of live performances. the singer is relatively new to singing, he obviously has a gift and he just needs to hone it.

i understand you have a band or a friend's band or just know of a few bands that you think deserve to be signed, but hating on a band that has a very good chance of getting signed will not get you anywhere. their whole goal is to blow up and help all their friends bands get big too.

-Well with that being their 10th show ever, the comparisons to P!atD are obvious.
-I didn't notice the drumming being all that bad.
-Good for them
-Let him hone it, but for them to get wined and dined by major reps seems ridiculous after how they played at that show.

and yes it's awesome when bands blow up and help out smaller bands, but Chicago's where alot of the music scene is at right now, before too long people are gonna start ignoring bands from here when the market is oversaturated.

myplasticyou 08/23/06 01:28 PM

MAN MAN is the best band i've seen lately.

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi town playa (Post 4094485)
-Well with that being their 10th show ever, the comparisons to P!atD are obvious.
-I didn't notice the drumming being all that bad.
-Good for them
-Let him hone it, but for them to get wined and dined by major reps seems ridiculous after how they played at that show.

and yes it's awesome when bands blow up and help out smaller bands, but Chicago's where alot of the music scene is at right now, before too long people are gonna start ignoring bands from here when the market is oversaturated.

P!ATD got signed off of 3 demos w/o ever playing a note live.

and you view of the chicago music scene is very pessimistic. i don't think anyone will ever "ignore" a talented band coming out of chicago. if anything, the more bands that get big out of chicago, the more labels will be searching this city with a microscope for the next big thing.

anyway, why don't you give me a few names of a few chicago bands that you think deserve to be signed. i'm always down for supporting the local scene. and i'm not going to try to compare my boys to any band you rec me. i'm just a music lover.

manball788 08/23/06 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverInADay (Post 4093401)
Fuck U2.

If Dillinger's not on this list, it's wrong.

amen
to the dillinger part

Whiskers182 08/23/06 01:38 PM

No Andrew WK? That's not just a concert it's an experience.