AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  The 25 Best Current Live Bands According to Spin (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=165394)

fire on my lips 08/23/06 02:40 PM

how did MCR make this list? Horrible live band.
I also can't believe Muse wasn't on this list.
(I didn't read any of the replies just in case Muse was already mentioned)

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 02:59 PM

annnd i get no reply . . .

atouchoverrated 08/23/06 03:00 PM

There is no way MCR should have rated better then AFI. There were a couple of these bands listed playing Street Scene earlier this month and AFI blew all of them away in my opinion. Definitely the best set i saw the two days i was there.

thearmada 08/23/06 03:01 PM

Where the fuck is Muse?

Rufio21 08/23/06 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa Johnson (Post 4093374)
According to the latest issue of Spin magazine, these are the top 25 live bands right now:
The Top 25 Live Bands25. Comets on Fire
21. Against Me!
2. The Stooges

Agree? Disagree? Who do you think belongs/doesn't belong on this list? Discuss.

that should be the list

winterdale 08/23/06 03:06 PM

and coincidently all have super duper large album sales... hmmm

youareallfreaks 08/23/06 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thearmada (Post 4094820)
Where the fuck is Muse?

good ass point.

dumbudy321 08/23/06 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Mike] (Post 4093839)
No TREOS or Rise Against?

And MCR blows live.

ive been reading through the whole thing and i was gonna mention TREOS if no one else did.
i might be a bit biased due to the fact ive been following them since ben was in the band, but they put on one of the best shows, and MCR definitly doesnt deserve to be on there now, before they blew up and started doing the theatrics on stage maybe, also thursdays live show has always blown me away, and mars volta deserves to be higher.

i agree that dave puts on an awesome show, but thats cause everyones so drunk they dont even know where they are

Dan CiTi 08/23/06 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadkidsean (Post 4093768)
The Roots made it, and basically that is the only band that matters on this list. Fuck U2.

U2 are thousands times more influential than The Roots...shut up.

Dan CiTi 08/23/06 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterdale (Post 4094850)
and coincidently all have super duper large album sales... hmmm

The Mars Volta & The Arcarde Fire deserve it.
Where's the Rx Bandits & TREOS?

notoaststereo 08/23/06 03:13 PM

mars volta is way overrated

SorryAboutThat 08/23/06 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkENG (Post 4093572)
I've been to 3 Alkaline Trio shows and although they were good musically I didn't think they had anything that would make their live set extrodinary.

Alkaline Trio is my favorite band but Against Me! stole the show on their last tour. AM! is definitely an unbelievable band live.

I'd love to see The Roots live as well

CorporateFish 08/23/06 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Weber (Post 4093415)
Hahahaha My Chemical Romance is not good live. It's so rehearsed. It's basically a scripted show to get pre-teen girls to yell "fuck" back and forth with the band. "When I say fuck, you say you, 'fuck, you, fuck, you'". Lame. And they don't sound that great either.

Amen.
Green Day, Against Me! and Radiohead are incredible live, however.

moises_naruto 08/23/06 03:21 PM

Thursday!!! changes peoples lives... true story

spencersface 08/23/06 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4094506)
MAN MAN is a cool ass band name imo.

primus is still around?!?!?!?! no fuckin way. i dont believe you.

Hell yeah they were just on tour like 6 months ago. Also Les Claypool recently released another solo album.

MindspiN 08/23/06 03:35 PM

thats some horseshit...

Mars Volta are good
...as are Red Hot Chili Peppers

Wheres 311?!! One of best live bands out there. No argument

Fuck My Chemical Romance live shows...they are mediocre at best

Low Level Owl 08/23/06 03:41 PM

i haven't read what anyone has been saying because it's probably all whining over who is on this list. All I am going to say is a big fucking hell yes for turbonegro! 'nuff said.

skylinepress 08/23/06 03:45 PM

wtf?

Thrice and/or Thursday didn't make the list? wow spin......... I want a recount.

djUbilla 08/23/06 03:51 PM

Against Me! definitely belongs on that list. Props to the listmakers.

chi town playa 08/23/06 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youareallfreaks (Post 4094549)
P!ATD got signed off of 3 demos w/o ever playing a note live.

and you view of the chicago music scene is very pessimistic. i don't think anyone will ever "ignore" a talented band coming out of chicago. if anything, the more bands that get big out of chicago, the more labels will be searching this city with a microscope for the next big thing.

anyway, why don't you give me a few names of a few chicago bands that you think deserve to be signed. i'm always down for supporting the local scene. and i'm not going to try to compare my boys to any band you rec me. i'm just a music lover.

my recs are as follows:

www.myspace.com/thegreenlightspecial -some of the most talented local musicians. amazing to watch live
www.myspace.com/detriomphe - blood brothers-ish type stuff
www.myspace.com/victorian halls - awesome band
www.myspace.com/thenewdiet - some really cool guys. they were who i was at that show to see.
www.myspace.com/travelbycannon - more real cool guys
www.myspace.com/stateandmadison - they work their asses off
www.myspace.com/powrightinthekisserrock -sick shit brah

spikestoyou 08/23/06 04:17 PM

U2 is crap.

YYYs doesn't have an apostrophe. There are 3 yeahs and the yeahs do not own anything.

underthetalking 08/23/06 04:18 PM

Moneen and mewithoutyou aren't on this list. Its wrong.

myaimistruex3 08/23/06 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley (Post 4093477)
AFI and MCR def dont belong. and they arent really my kind of bands but i dont see how DMB or Phish especially arent on there. ive heard stories from friends about phish concerts and they sound insane. however they might be broken up right now, i dont really know. and when i saw green day i wasnt that impressed so i dont see how they are on there either.

i'm not that big of a Dave Matthews fan, but they do put on a great show.

SteveLikesMusic 08/23/06 04:31 PM

Reel Big Fish should be number 1.
Tom Petty should be number 2.

myaimistruex3 08/23/06 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbudy321 (Post 4094867)
ive been reading through the whole thing and i was gonna mention TREOS if no one else did.
i might be a bit biased due to the fact ive been following them since ben was in the band, but they put on one of the best shows, and MCR definitly doesnt deserve to be on there now, before they blew up and started doing the theatrics on stage maybe, also thursdays live show has always blown me away, and mars volta deserves to be higher.

i agree that dave puts on an awesome show, but thats cause everyones so drunk they dont even know where they are

haha. The amount of weed at a DMB show is insane. He puts on a good show, but if you just know the hits you might not enjoy it that much, because he doesn't play them all that much.

mark3611 08/23/06 04:39 PM

Most of the list may suck but it gets automatic validation for including The Riverboat Gamblers...

bobbob 08/23/06 04:45 PM

LTJ deserve to be on there over MCR as they're utterly flawless live and I've honestly never talked to somebody who thought they sucked (plus they aren't really mainstream). Aside from that I can't disagree with much of the list.

Co and Ca 08/23/06 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroppedUrPocket (Post 4093450)
Moneen isn't on the list at number one, so this list is invalid.

I agree. I've seen them live 6 times and they were amazing each time.

mr chainsaw 08/23/06 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroppedUrPocket (Post 4093564)
I've talked to many people who have said Alkaline Trio has bored them to death/sounded horrible live.

the alkaline trio are probably my favorite band but i will admit that their live show is lacking something. although...the occult roots of alk3 tour was the most amazing concert experience i have ever had.

the lawrence arms are pretty sweet live as long as they dont get too drunk to play their songs...i remember motion city soundtrack, being real good live...but i think my favorite band to see live is punchline.

blender 08/23/06 05:01 PM

what about brand new and mewithoutyou

huh spin, what's that about?

mr chainsaw 08/23/06 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arizonahotrock (Post 4093672)
Yeah, I'm not sure why Thrice isn't on there...they don't have anything in terms of theatrics, but I've never seen a band just tear up their songs like Thrice does live. Also, did I miss it or was Coheed not on there? If not, that's a damn shame...

i really like coheed but claudio cannot make it through a set without losing his voice

knibl 08/23/06 05:09 PM

the band in my avatar

Johnny_G 08/23/06 05:09 PM

MUSE not being on this list is a fucking travesty.

KozmoKramer 08/23/06 05:09 PM

Gogol Bordello deserves to be there, that bass drum crowd surfing thing is just plain awesome. But i seriously dont know why U2 gets so much credit for things. The music is somewhat boring and the live performance (from what i saw on numerous late night shows) was above average at best. Plus bono is just getting very tiresome, shit join the in crowd and criticize the government, real original.

what about The Matches, anyone who comes down into the crowd to play scratched out on acoustics, cuz the amps blew out is amazing

ghost mountain 08/23/06 05:10 PM

flaming lips should be #1

lftcoastenvy05 08/23/06 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RememberFminus2 (Post 4093413)
how AFI is behind My chemical romance is beyond me.

how AFI is behind against me! is beyond me.

movielife89 08/23/06 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveLikesMusic (Post 4095439)
Reel Big Fish should be number 1.
Tom Petty should be number 2.

Tomr Petty is definitely up there, I have seen hime twice this summer with friends who don't know his stuff really, and everyone always agrees it is phenomenal.

Pearl Jam has to be on this list, and in the top five..it is my alltime number one. Also saw them twice this summer...wish everyone on this site would give them a chance because they saved me from crap bands like FOB and Panic.

Wish The movielife was still around...never would have been recognized though.

xnovemberxx 08/23/06 05:33 PM

thursday.
i wanted to see thursday on that list.
and every time i die.

lackofcolour 13 08/23/06 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spencersface (Post 4094472)
...primus should also be on there.

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by reductiondesign (Post 4094411)
Where are Green Day and Motion City?

Green Day is a political rally, not a concert. Motion City Soundtrack's live shows have gone downhill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by notoaststereo (Post 4094905)
mars volta is way overrated

You are wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost mountain (Post 4095620)
flaming lips should be #1

You are right

James Johnson 08/23/06 05:41 PM

AM! should be higher. That is all.

safetycanary 08/23/06 05:42 PM

Pixies should totally be on the list - they don't do much on stage, but they're the hugest sounding band I have ever seen. Jaw dropping live sound.

HanusMaximus 08/23/06 05:43 PM

one I have seen and will def. agree with is Queens of the Stone Age.

hailthewarrior 08/23/06 05:45 PM

Mute Math - no words describe this set.
Underoath - uh, they own the stage.
Emery - same reasons combined of the two above.
As Cities Burn - one of the most amazing live shows I've seen.

I'm sure there're others...

Baconrocks 08/23/06 05:52 PM

Mars Volta over Coheed and cambria? They bring a flying gullotine on stage!!!!!!

phunkspace 08/23/06 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverInADay (Post 4093401)

If Damiera's not on this list, it's wrong.

^^fixed

mogwaifearsatan 08/23/06 06:01 PM

The Flaming Lips need to be in the top 5.

SKooT 08/23/06 06:04 PM

I'm gonna sacrifice major scene points here and put in my vote for Papa Roach. Hands down the most energetic live show I have ever seen. Theatrics are kept low, but sooo much energy, I've never been dissapointed.

hydraulicheart 08/23/06 06:12 PM

There's no way in hell this band would be on this list because, well, they're unsigned. Anyone who was at Warped Tour this summer and caught Evaline's peformance, has ears that work and well-enough vision to see their energy onstage should know what I'm talking about. They're the sleeper of this year's tour, and they were stunning.

Throw in TREOS, He Is Legend, mewithoutYou, and Thursday as well, and I'm satisfied. All these polls are are a matter of opinions, and that's mine.

GAD_guy 08/23/06 06:30 PM

at least they put against me on there...should be #1 though.

i haven't seen art brut yet but i've heard good things.

Superpanda8 08/23/06 06:49 PM

thursday is the best live band ive seen in my opinion based on pure energy and the quality of the music is very high. no matter what a club is the best setting for a show, followed by festival, but most of these bands are arena bands, so you cant compare U2 with against me really