AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  Ride Your Bike - 04.25.10 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1665072)

Keagan Ilvonen 04/26/10 09:51 PM

Ride Your Bike - 04.25.10

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Ride Your Bike

www.deepelm.com/rideyourbike
http://www.myspace.com/rideyourbike
http://wwww.rideyourbikemusic.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ride-Y...1937722?ref=ts

1. How did you get your band name?
When I (mike getches) was the only member of the band, my friend Matt Weitz and I were racking our brains trying to come up with a name for a rap group we had. We decided to get in character, we needed 40s and maybe a trip to the club. We rode our bikes to the club, the doorman was not pleased. Matt yelled, "Ride Your Bike!! Motha F@*$&#%!!" I broke down laughing. I realized it would be a great band name and it is phrased as a command, and I always will find that funny.

2. How did this band get started?
During my time in High School I was in a ska band called The Unsinkable Molly Brown. We released one EP and one full length record. I played rhythm guitar and sang. I wrote the vocal melodies and lyrics, but I only did that after the song had been written by our guitar player Johnny. At the time I didn't think it was possible for me to write both aspects of a song. Until one day, when I was 19, I wrote a song. I didn't try to write it, I was just practicing guitar and out it came. I would say it was that moment when Ride Your Bike started. Only, I didn't know it at the time.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
My major influences can be summed up by what I call the mighty triumvirate. Billy Joel, Paul Simon and Cat Stevens. But now I need to somehow fit Jackson Browne in there. Bands that I love are Say Anything, Third Eye Blind, Counting Crows, New Radicals, Weezer, Osker, Bright Eyes, The Starting Line and Vanessa Carlton.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
I wish I could go back and tour with the Mighty Might Bosstones. When I was in junior high and high school I was really into ska music. I went to so many shows, everything I could get to I wanted to go. That's why when I joined my own ska band, we opened for Mustard Plug and it completely blew my mind. That Mighty Mighty Bosstones show in Denver CO was the most fun I have ever had at a concert, and I have seen Billy Joel and Madison Square. The crowd was a huge group of people having one of the best times ever, and I would have loved to be a part of that.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I would be a bat, I think having sonar would be the business.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
What we have always strived to create is simply great music. Great music to us is music that stands the test of time, music that stays relevant, music that shows more of itself as times passes, thought provoking and image stirring. We try so hard to write songs in which all the variables that form a great song are present. Rhythmically, melodically, harmonically and lyrically.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game?
How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert? I would say coat rack, because it is going to be in rock band. I played the game once and I didn't do very well at all, so for me to get five stars on my own song would be almost impossible.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would thank Johnny Schou for teaching me everything I know about song writing. My unbelievable parents and my fantastic sister. My amazing girl friend for believing in me at all times. The guys in Ride Your Bike Ryan, Adam and Fred. they are the best friends and band mates anyone could ask for.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Being a person that doesn't own one piece of free or illegally downloaded music. I wouldn't change the law I would just like to transition peoples' attitude. The less supported music is the less money investors have to to put towards developing acts. The only thing that suffers is culture in general. That's why we have some of this incredibly ridiculous music played constantly on Pop and Country radio. Making the music market smaller and tighter and thus easier to control. In my opinion free music actually makes music less free.

10. Memorable tour experience?
While in denver we played a battle of the bands at a High School. We used to play a song called So if we. It is a pretty rocking song. When we played that song the crowd went nuts. I have no idea why they were pretty mellow up until that point. We had teachers freaking out and people with authority venturing into a raging mosh pit only to be ejected just as fast as they went in. This when on for a few minutes until someone pulled the plug on the PA. I think it was the one time that we rocked too hard, and I will always remember that.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
There is so much music out there right now, which is fantastic, but it is almost impossible to keep up with it. I love AP because, save for browsing it, I would have never found out about some of the music that I love today.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favorite song to play is a song called Secrets because it starts with a digital beat then when the drums it gives me a rush every time we play it live.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I love boston, I grew up in Massachusetts. But I really love any latin country. I consider myself conversationally proficient in spanish, and a friend of mine and I went on a several month backpacking trek across South America and up the Amazon River. It was the best experience I've ever had.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I grew up on Billy Joel and Paul Simon, I think that is why I still love both those guys so much.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I wish I could ask people questions from inside their own head, and get their pure honest answer. That way I could probably resolve any dispute any body had with anybody else.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I don't think making it is a possible thing. Life never stops until you die, I want to always keep learning and advancing and always finishing something then moving on to the next thing. Right now I make my life so I can make as much music as I can and play shows with my kick ass band. I live this way despite any major label record deal or headlining tour, it all about living the way you want to live all the time. Going for a dream and never giving up. I 'made it" when I was born.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I like to make gangster rap songs, about how bad ass we are. They are complete jokes, but they are incredibly fun to make. Sometimes you can find them popping up here or there on the web.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving. I had the most fun at thanksgiving when I was little, I remember those the most.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Music. Anything music related. I don't write music because I want to, it is because I have to and there is nothing I can do about it. I love it so much, I spend so much time working on it, I sometimes drive the people around me or even myself crazy. I almost believe I am supposed to be doing this because it is very automatic for me.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I consider myself a moderately accomplished ninja

minusblindfold 04/27/10 04:40 PM

I'm so glad that they did this interview, I really hope they keep writing music because Bad News from the Bar was the best album of 2007, yet almost unheard of. All the people to whom I recommended it fell in love with the sound, so I would love to hear more music from them.

Underdogadam 05/06/10 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minusblindfold (Post 66314742)
I really hope they keep writing music because Bad News from the Bar was the best album of 2007

---we released a 6 track EP "The Connection" last month off Deep Elm. check it on iTunes.

---we have a 5 track Live EP which is only going to be available threw a facebook link as of next tuesday, for a one week run only.

-adam
ryb.