AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  AP.net Remembers: Jets to Brazil (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1668002)

Jeremy Aaron 04/28/10 09:25 AM

AP.net Remembers: Jets to Brazil

After you've been locked into a groove for a long time, it's never easy when things have run their course and the time comes to leave it all behind and move on. However, history offers us countless encouraging examples of bitter ends becoming sweet new beginnings, one notable example of which involves the breakup of Blake Schwarzenbach's revered punk band Jawbreaker and his re-emergence with Jets to Brazil.

With Schwarzenbach teaming up with the likes of Chris Daly (ex-Texas Is the Reason), was it even possible for his new music to do anything but rule? I'm sure there are some instances of musical collaborations that looked better on paper than they actually were, but none spring to mind. Suffice it to say that the new project did not disappoint. To hear their 1998 debut Orange Rhyming Dictionary once is to love it forever. From the unforgettable feedback squeal and huge riffs that open its first track "Crown of the Valley" to the touching "Sweet Avenue" (one of the all-time greatest punk-related love songs) at its end, it's just the perfect album.

There's still a healthy amound of energy and crunch, but it's very much a grown-up indie rock album. The alienation and uncertainty at the core of the brilliant "Sea Anemone" should resonate with anyone with a life in a state of flux, maybe those of you about to graduate from high school or college in the coming weeks and unsure of your place in the world, feeling like, as Schwarzenbach puts it, "a turtle on its back in the desert sea." His nagging sense of not going anywhere in spite of efforts to pull himself from the quagmire run through "I Typed for Miles", a song that evokes Nirvana in an "In My Teeth" sort of way. It's not all down in the dumps, though-- redemption comes with "Sweet Avenue", the type of song that many of us can probably only wish we could apply to our own lives, or at least hope to some day. With macho posturing the norm in rock music, tunes with the vulnerability of "Sweet Avenue" are rare, and with good reason, as they can come off as humorously emasculating. Schwarzenbach's balance of heartfelt honesty and ruggedness rings pitch-perfect, and the result is truly one-of-a-kind.

With such an astounding record under their belts, you'd forgive Jets to Brazil for not catching lightning in a bottle again, which is good, because in truth, they never truly did. 2000's Four Cornered Night and 2002's Perfecting Loneliness are solid and recommended albums, but not nearly as essential as the debut. And since you're already bored with my rambling, I won't get into the nitty-gritty, just encourage you to check them out, too, if you haven't already. Then, the next time AP.net reports that one of your favorite bands has decided to part ways, you can think of JTB and replace that dewy-eyed regret with optimism at what might rise from the ashes.

Jeremy Aaron 04/28/10 09:26 AM

"Sea Anemone" (from Orange Rhyming Dictionary)

"Lemon Yellow Black" (from Orange Rhyming Dictionary)

"I Typed for Miles" (from Orange Rhyming Dictionary)

"Sweet Avenue" (from Orange Rhyming Dictionary)

"One Summer Last Fall" (from Four Cornered Night)

"Cat Heaven" (from Perfecting Loneliness)

jrtbighurt 04/28/10 09:28 AM

Awesome band.

james77 04/28/10 09:30 AM

YES! Great band. Criminally underrated in my opinion too.

SouthernCross40 04/28/10 09:31 AM

Good times...I posted a line from Sea Anemone (not even one of the blatantly suicidal ones) as my status on facebook a few months ago...
My girlfriend called worrying I was breaking up with her, killing myself, or both lol. Just a great song from a great band.

Keagan Ilvonen 04/28/10 09:33 AM

Band is so underrated, it's ridiculous.

evvandflow 04/28/10 09:34 AM

Orange Rhyming Dictionary is an amazing album. and Conrad is one of the most beautifully sad songs ever written.

evvandflow 04/28/10 09:35 AM

and why is there a picture of Damien Rice in that Sweet Avenue video??

only the clouds 04/28/10 09:38 AM

I love Jets to Brazil more than I can possibly express. Once I met Blake after a forgetters show in RI. It was super awkward. It was also the Best Day Ever

Jeremy Aaron 04/28/10 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evvandflow (Post 66360142)
and why is there a picture of Damien Rice in that Sweet Avenue video??

Sadly, it was the only video I could find on youtube for the song. I feel like it's one of their essential songs, so I had to include it anyway.

evvandflow 04/28/10 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Aaron (Post 66360412)
Sadly, it was the only video I could find on youtube for the song. I feel like it's one of their essential songs, so I had to include it anyway.

Oh, i dont blame you. that and Sea Anemone are musts off of ORD

aolsux 04/28/10 09:45 AM

"2000's Four Cornered Night and 2002's Perfecting Loneliness are solid and recommended albums, but not nearly as essential as the debut."

wait what? Orange Rhyming Dictionary is fantastic, but I wouldn't make that claim. Perfecting Loneliness is so polished as a record, each song seems so wonderfully planned out as if it were to be a discussion on beginnings and (but mostly) endings of relationships with people and yourself. That release culminated everything that Four Cornered Night and Orange Rhyming wanted to accomplish. JTB have always been about that album for me, it was a "perfect" way for them to fall out, and a memory of my youth.

LagwagonX8 04/28/10 09:47 AM

JTB wasn't no Jawbreaker, but it was an acceptable substitute...love this band

mycuban 04/28/10 09:56 AM

Amazing band, although i personally find Four Cornered Night to be their most essential album.

and to the person above me, that's a double negative so you're essentially saying they were Jawbreaker which i don't think you were trying to say.

DejaGuy89 04/28/10 10:03 AM

Sea Anemone gives me chills every time i listen to it.