AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  A Loss for Words - Motown Classics (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1682742)

Thomas Nassiff 05/05/10 11:25 PM

A Loss for Words - Motown Classics
 
A Loss for Words - Motown Classics
Record Label: Paper + Plastick Records
Release Date: May 11, 2010


Who?

A Loss for Words are a five-piece pop punk band from Boston, Massachusetts. Having gained a good amount of attention from being associated with Massachusetts brethren Four Year Strong, AL4W have followed in their steps by creating a covers album. Motown Classics is A Loss for Words' first album for Paper + Plastick Records and the follow-up to their debut The Kids Can't Lose.

How is it?


It's fun. A Loss for Words may not be as talented as some of their pop punk peers, but they are certainly just as hardworking and passionate as any other band out there. On this cover album, the band get a good selection of hits that everyone should know by heart already, which makes for a few fun listens the first times you hear the record. The lighthearted vocals and hook-laden guitar parts show that A Loss for Words definitely know how to execute their style. However, for the most part, this album drags on after a few listens. It's generically enjoyable but it's repetitive and most listeners probably won't return to Motown Classics save a few standout tracks. Choice cuts include "All Night Long", "Do You Love Me", "My Girl", and "You Can't Hurry Love", but some of the other tracks seem a bit filler-ish. On "I Want You Back", Alan Day and Dan O'Connor of Four Year Strong are featured on vocals, nicely complementing A Loss for Words' sound. "Do You Love Me" is my personal favorite, a short and sweet number with a chorus that is easy to sing along to with your friends.

Summer has started, and if you're looking for a fun album or some car music, look no further than this. A Loss for Words are as worthy of your dollar as any other band out there. It's important to take this album for what it is and nothing more; covers albums can come off as a disappointment to fans of a band, but A Loss for Words have managed to put out a few fun songs that will be a treat to hear live.

Recommended If You LikeMotown songs, Half Hearted Hero, pop punk, groovy bass lines
Bare Essentials1. All Night Long (Lionel Richie)
2. Do You Love Me (The Contours)
3. I Just Called to Say I Love You (Stevie Wonder)
4. I Want You Back (Jackson 5) ((feat. Dan OíConnor and Alan Day of Four Year Strong))
5. My Girl (The Temptations)
6. Reach Out (Iíll Be There) (The Four Tops)
7. Tears of a Clown (Smokey Robinson & The Miracles)
8. This Old Heart of Mine (The Isley Brothers)
9. Whatís Goin On (Marvin Gaye) ((feat. Jordan Brown of Set Your Goals))
10. You Canít Hurry Love (The Supremes)
Producer: Chris Curran, Run Time: 27 minutes, 25 seconds

Myspace

aradiantsunrise 05/05/10 11:33 PM

Didn't think they needed a once-over review. I think a lot of people know who they are already on here, haha.

gr33ndayfr3ak 05/05/10 11:34 PM

About what I was expecting from this. I'll still be taking a few listens at least.

Here's the actual artwork, by the way:
http://i1.soundcloud.com/artworks-00...nal.jpg?c3fa03

lostfear 05/06/10 12:07 AM

I really don't like this review. it makes it seem like A Loss For Words isn't a good band, when they are fantastic and super talented.

Nick Le 05/06/10 12:14 AM

I can't wait to hear this.

Stevecase 05/06/10 12:15 AM

Aw man. (another) Bad review for AL4W on AP.net. I guess I can't like their band now.

XSTAYGOLDX 05/06/10 12:30 AM

giving matty's vocals only a 7.5 is absurd.

Ive only heard a few tracks on the album but im assuming this will rank up there with NFG's cover albums and much higher than any me first and the gimme gimmes or the majority of covers on the current punk goes "what ever"

Band deserves more love.

HeavenResign 05/06/10 12:37 AM

I haven't listened to this band as much as I should, but kudos to Thomas for saying what he thinks. It's obvious the boys from A Loss For Words have a strong presence on this site, and it can be hard to say what you really think about the music when you know the people (and you know they'll be reading this) and it's not all "tough guy internet" attitude. On the other hand, if I listened to this band more and loved them, I might feel the same way as the commenters. Plus, it's a cover album. How amazing can a cover album be? He said it was a fun summer album, that's pretty damn good. Personally I'd probably never listen to a cover album.

tkw15 05/06/10 01:54 AM

and if this was the wonder years it would have been a 90% right?

xtheaudition 05/06/10 02:03 AM

i'll check it out. music is music, and these doods make good music.

HeavenResign 05/06/10 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkw15 (Post 66891402)
and if this was the wonder years it would have been a 90% right?

Have you looked at the content? This is an all cover album. In my mind no cover album could gain a 90% score.

tkw15 05/06/10 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drow Swordsman (Post 66891562)
Have you looked at the content? This is an all cover album. In my mind no cover album could gain a 90% score.

haha I know that but I think it was harsh of him to say they are not as talented as other bands.

etomicsean 05/06/10 05:10 AM

this is not a bad review guys. no need to get defensive and up in arms. there really is nothing negative in this review. they are a fun band and these are fun tracks. thomas stresses that.

Joe DeAndrea 05/06/10 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etomicsean (Post 66893462)
this is not a bad review guys. no need to get defensive and up in arms. there really is nothing negative in this review. they are a fun band and these are fun tracks. thomas stresses that.

Another case of people just looking at the score apparently. Not even like 68% is even that bad.

Thomas Nassiff 05/06/10 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aradiantsunrise (Post 66889372)
Didn't think they needed a once-over review. I think a lot of people know who they are already on here, haha.

I did it because I wanted to keep it short.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gr33ndayfr3ak (Post 66889412)
About what I was expecting from this. I'll still be taking a few listens at least.

Here's the actual artwork, by the way:
http://i1.soundcloud.com/artworks-00...nal.jpg?c3fa03

Thank you. I looked all over for that and I saw the poster for it on their Myspace but I couldn't find the normal artwork anywhere.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostfear (Post 66890172)
I really don't like this review. it makes it seem like A Loss For Words isn't a good band, when they are fantastic and super talented.

Your opinion. Write your own review. I don't think they're bad, I like their first album. This review doesn't bash. I stated that they aren't as talented as other bands, which is true. They are also more talented than many bands. After having this album for about a month, I just find it to be....there. I don't go back to it and for an album that is under 30 minutes, it's tough to get through. The best five songs are good though. I hope my review conveyed something like that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevecase (Post 66890352)
Aw man. (another) Bad review for AL4W on AP.net. I guess I can't like their band now.

Yeah you better not like them. Or all the staff members will ban you because we only like people who agree with us. Also, this review isn't "bad". I've written much worse reviews. The score might make people think it's bad but the content shouldn't.
Quote:

Originally Posted by XSTAYGOLDX (Post 66890512)
giving matty's vocals only a 7.5 is absurd.

Ive only heard a few tracks on the album but im assuming this will rank up there with NFG's cover albums and much higher than any me first and the gimme gimmes or the majority of covers on the current punk goes "what ever"

Band deserves more love.

NFG's are better IMO.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drow Swordsman (Post 66890592)
I haven't listened to this band as much as I should, but kudos to Thomas for saying what he thinks. It's obvious the boys from A Loss For Words have a strong presence on this site, and it can be hard to say what you really think about the music when you know the people (and you know they'll be reading this) and it's not all "tough guy internet" attitude. On the other hand, if I listened to this band more and loved them, I might feel the same way as the commenters. Plus, it's a cover album. How amazing can a cover album be? He said it was a fun summer album, that's pretty damn good. Personally I'd probably never listen to a cover album.

Thank you. I didn't mean to bash, and the review doesn't bash. I said what I thought and I think the review is about as positive as it is negative.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkw15 (Post 66891402)
and if this was the wonder years it would have been a 90% right?

Yeah obviously. I only grade The Wonder Years really high. Actually, if this was The Wonder Years, it probably would have bordered on 100%.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkw15 (Post 66892062)
haha I know that but I think it was harsh of him to say they are not as talented as other bands.

It's my job?