AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Something About Airplanes - Whoa! Dude! Dang! (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1726072)

cubine 05/31/10 11:36 PM

Something About Airplanes - Whoa! Dude! Dang!

Something About Airplanes - Whoa! Dude! Dang!
Record Label: None
Release Date: July 29, 2009

Something About Airplanes are a 5-piece pop punk outfit from Portland, OR. Their self-released debut EP Whoa! Dude! Dang! delivers pretty standard pop punk very much in the vein of Hit The Lights. Everything is written in major keys, they flirt with breakdowns on occasion, and infectious melodies dominate throughout. This EP doesn't really deliver anything you haven't heard before in several other places, but fortunately the band does this sound very well. They've clearly done their homework.

The performances are all solid and enjoyable, if lacking a little originality. The drums are clean and thumpy, the guitars crunch the lows and soar on highs, and vocalist Lee Parks sounds like a less controlled Jordan Pundik. Technical showmanship takes a backseat to energetic songs, as is typical of the genre. The drums and guitars deserve a special shout-out, for using staccato bursts of power to great effect and reining in during choruses to really let the songs breathe.

Lyrically, Whoa! Dude! Dang! definitely leaves something to be desired in terms of depth, although their positive attitude keeps things from getting unbearable. Most of the songs focus on melancholy-but-hopeful themes, like falling back on friends during a breakup or remembering the good times during the bad. There are some groan-worthy lines to be sure, such as "You're my girl / I'm your guy / Forever!" (from the track You Sunk My Battleship), which unfortunately also sounds rather insincere. This keeps them from getting away with it out of relatability la New Found Glory (who deliver such lines with enough integrity to save it) but they don't ruin the album by any means. SAA does manage to throw in some memorable choruses, such as the one off The Bros and Cons: "I come up on my boys / And give them high fives / Cause the fun's going down tonight / And that's all I really need to forget our history".

If this record has one thing that shines above anything else, it's the production. Everything sounds so clean and tight, which is made all the more impressive by the fact that SAA are an unsigned group of kids. Somebody in this band must have access to a great studio, and really know their stuff when it comes to production. Specifically the drums sound absolutely perfect (I'm partial to the metalcore drum "sound"), famed producer Machine may as well have recorded the percussion on here.

There isn't a whole lot that distinguishes Something About Airplanes from the rest of the crowded pop punk/hardcore/popmosh "scene," but their saving grace is that they are already very good at delivering that sound so early in their career. Brief spikes of hardcore are perfectly placed throughout the record, adding flavor and intensity to songs without turning them into meathead pits. This band is on the cusp of being great, hopefully their next release can diversify instead of stagnate.

Recommended If You LikeHardcore tinged pop punk; Hit the Lights, older All Time Low, All or Nothing, Four Year Strong's Rise or Die Trying

http://www.myspace.com/somethingaboutairplanespdx

Track Listing
1. Wow Omg!
2. You Sunk My Battleship
3. Spring Break!
4. The Bros and Cons
5. Mixed Signals
6. Safe to Say

Something About Airplanes is...
Drums - Chris Dini
Bass - Anthony Taylor
Guitar - Nick Berg
Guitar - Nick Sisouphanh
Vocals - Lee Parks

HometownHero 06/03/10 10:57 PM

Seeing these dudes is really fun. They have such a local following. Kids climbing on and jumping off the stage, screaming the words back/into the mic. Not a huge fan on their music but it's definitely a good time. Also saw them waaaaaaaaaaaay back opening for Mayday Parade & Bedlight For Blueeyes and recently for The Wonder Years. Cool review

cubine 06/03/10 11:32 PM

The live show is definitely what roped me into buying the EP!

I wish the total score had ended up higher, I didn't realize it would come out to less than 70%.

HometownHero 06/03/10 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubine (Post 68706242)
The live show is definitely what roped me into buying the EP!

I wish the total score had ended up higher, I didn't realize it would come out to less than 70%.

It's pretty much what it deserves though imo. They aren't the best but are not bad at what they do. I'd never listen to them on CD anyway. I'd go to many of their shows though

cobwebsformaps 06/03/10 11:55 PM

used be the lights/merch guy for the drummer's old band. Awesome to see them get some recognition.

tyramail 06/04/10 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidchino08 (Post 68704522)
Seeing these dudes is really fun. They have such a local following. Kids climbing on and jumping off the stage, screaming the words back/into the mic. Not a huge fan on their music but it's definitely a good time. Also saw them waaaaaaaaaaaay back opening for Mayday Parade & Bedlight For Blueeyes and recently for The Wonder Years. Cool review

truth. i was surprised to see this in the user reviews haha.

HometownHero 06/04/10 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgedcc (Post 68721472)
Are they named after the Death Cab for Cutie album, or is it just a coincidence?

It's a good review, this isn't my type of music so I don't think I'll check them out, I read it because of the band name. It's still a very well written review though

I think that's what they are named after, yes

HometownHero 06/04/10 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyramail (Post 68724502)
truth. i was surprised to see this in the user reviews haha.

Me too but good for them haha

Hollyann 06/05/10 11:10 PM

'Production'

SAA is one of the funnest bands I have experienced live. :)

shout out to Dan McCall at Robots ate my studio for engineering this E.P.