AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Nights Like These - The Faithless (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=176666)

Pat Marquez 10/04/06 03:59 PM

Nights Like These - The Faithless

My music taste has evolved and changed over the years. I boast this because I am proud to say that I have been opened up to so much different music as time has quickly passed. I remember when I first really started focusing on hardcore and metal. I would go to my local Record And Tape Traders (East Coast Represent!) and chit chat about what albums I should picked up. Needless to say in the genre of metal, I had a wonderful mentor. Some of my earliest albums were Premonitions Of War, Botch, Converge, and last but not least Cave In. I remember quite vividly playing these albums as loud as I could in my car. I’m sure I got a few stares, but the chills and my emotions ran wild as the guitars clashed and the raw and tough vocals came blaring through my speakers, which by the way had a nice fucking kick to it. I remember torturing my little brother and cousin on our drives to school blaring Cave In’s “Bottom Feeder” with the windows all the way down. Nothing like a good wake up call. Nothing in this world is more intense and fun than a hardcore and metal show. Watching kids take out their energy and really feel the music, is a sentiment indescribable. Are you worried about the metal that has leaked into the mainstream not being intense enough? Have no fear, Victory Records brings you Nights Like These with their killer release The Faithless.

From the home of rock n’ roll, Nights Like These emerge from Tennessee like a bat out of hell with one mission - to shred those ears right off of your face. I get the feeling nowadays that people are passing on anything Victory throws your way. Trust me, Tony (despite what you want to believe or what you insist) knows how to pick up a solid metal band; hell, he has quite a few of them. Nights Like These bring the brutality of Converge and throw in tons of intense crunchy breakdowns that will make your heart pound. This is a band that clearly holds nothing in, they spill it all out. Right from the get go the CD opens with a powerful song titled, “Storming Valhala.” Judging from this track you can see that these guys are avid fans of The Red Chord. The vocals have very strong similarities but very strong differences at the same time. One of my favorite tracks, “Ghost Town Rituals,” is a perfect display of their influences and the hometown they represent. I am in love with that southern metal sound, and this song is one of the stand outs on the album. If you want to be sold on this disc, this song is one of the selling points of the disc.

“Let The Waters Overtake Us” has one of the grittiest breaks I have ever head. The blast beat drumming is a sure hit with anyone that is a true fan of their metal percussion. This is arguably one of the best heavier tracks that I have heard in the last few months. One thing I am really fond of with Nights Like These is that there are almost no clean vocals. That means just one thing: The Faithless is an incredibly brutal album. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind vocals like that, but there is no place for them on this album… and that is a good thing. The thing that stands out the most with Nights Like These is their percussion. I think a lot of metal bands out there nowadays really fall short with highlighting the importance of heavy percussion. Are you in an up and coming band? You need to take tips from Patrick Leatherwood. This is one guy that knows how to beat the shit out of his kit and make it sound beautiful.

If you consider yourself a fan of good metal, I highly would recommend you check these guys out. It’s tough, it’s raw, it’s gritty and it’s good metal. It is orchestrated that perfectly displays what good musicianship is all about. I insist, have faith… in The Faithless.

Similar BandsConverge, The Red Chord, Between The Buried And Me

Band InformationMyspace | PureVOLUME

Edited by Tony Pascarella

FASSWcore 10/04/06 04:07 PM

awesome review... the groove of this album is absolutely sick. see these guys live if you can, it's a wall of brutal.

wespwnzu 10/04/06 05:16 PM

seabass is the bassist, not the drummer

just FYI

Pat Marquez 10/04/06 05:32 PM

You are correct, I read the bio wrong.

crazytoledo 10/04/06 06:27 PM

This is a pretty good album. Slipped somewhat from when I first checked it out.

My full opinion: http://punknews.org/review/5456

boysdontcry17 10/04/06 06:35 PM

good job dude

Pat Marquez 10/04/06 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boysdontcry17 (Post 4424108)
good job dude

Thank bro.

SECRETaction 10/04/06 07:06 PM

this cd is crushing

jbergamotto 10/04/06 07:21 PM

question for interview

Even though this might not seem serious at face value, my question is:

Who was Nights Like These thinking of when they named their song/album "The Faithless"?

thanks

Pat Marquez 10/04/06 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SECRETaction (Post 4424351)
this cd is crushing

Truth, SO good.

FASSWcore 10/04/06 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbergamotto (Post 4424483)
Even though this might not seem serious at face value, my question is:

Who was Nights Like These thinking of when they named their song/album "The Faithless"?

thanks

i know it has a lot to do with different elements of life as a whole, but i absolutely love "bury the messenger" .. that does more than enough to explain the title to me, and it's such a fucking sweet song.

DrewSkylinepres 10/04/06 08:23 PM

Old NLT was sooooooo much better, Victory changed them so much, they used to be more grind influenced, and now they're just another Metal/Hardcore band. In my personal opinion, I think you were a bit generous on this review, but that's just because I loved old NLT a lot more. Good review nevertheless.

xearlynovemberx 10/04/06 08:28 PM

Pat that pv link didn't work

FASSWcore 10/04/06 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewSkylinepres (Post 4425379)
Old NLT was sooooooo much better, Victory changed them so much, they used to be more grind influenced, and now they're just another Metal/Hardcore band. In my personal opinion, I think you were a bit generous on this review, but that's just because I loved old NLT a lot more. Good review nevertheless.

a few of the songs on the new cd were older. i see what you're saying though, the sound has changed a fair amount for the full-length.

Pat Marquez 10/04/06 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewSkylinepres (Post 4425379)

Victory doesn't change band, fuck what ya heard nucka.