AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  To Speak of Wolves - Myself<Letting Go (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1807352)

Ryan Gardner 07/19/10 03:41 PM

To Speak of Wolves - Myself<Letting Go

To Speak Of WolvesMyself<Letting Go
Record Label: Solid State
Release Date: May 18, 2010

After releasing their debut EP, Following Voices in early 2009, To Speak of Wolves went through a multitude of member changes, as well as switched from Tragic Hero Records to a better fitting home on Solid State. Only a year later, To Speak of Wolves are back with their new lineup on their debut record, Myself<Letting Go. Demonstrating the reason they’re on Solid State, To Speak of Wolves have crafted a heavy hitting powerhouse of a record, not letting off the gas pedal once throughout Myself.

“Darkness Often Yields The Brightest Light” kicks off Myself<Letting Go with vocalist Rick Jacobs screaming “You feel the rhythm pumping through your veins.” At this moment, it’s clear that To Speak of Wolves are at full vitality on this record. The opener is the perfect beginning to Myself, with the only misstep being that Jacobs should cut back on singing, as he’s best when he lets loose and screams. “You Should’ve Locked Your Door Ages Ago” follows, keeping the energy at ten with guitarists Aaron Kisling and Corey Doran dominating. Single “Trust, But Verify” is an all out assault as Jacobs screams “Big brother, are you watching me?” making the track a highlight on Myself.

“White Dress, Red Letter” hits hard as one of the heaviest numbers on the record – drummer Phil Chamberlain dominates the kit, making the track sound immense. The menacing “Just One Last Time” continues in vain of the previous tracks, featuring deep screams backed by piercing guitars. While the majority of Myself<Letting Go uses this same heavy modus operandi, “Quercus Alba” changes everything, as it begins with Jacobs’ meek, haunting vocals until Underoath’s Spencer Chamberlain takes control, dominating the track with his brutal screams as he yells “My lungs don’t breathe.” There’s no question that Spee steals Jacobs’ thunder on “Quercus,” though their sing/scream combination works wonderfully paired together, making “Quercus Alba” hands down the best track on the record.

After “Alba,” the final tracks “Your Cage May Not Have Bars, But It’s Still A Cage” and the latter “Nothing Ever Ends” are killers, making it clear that To Speak of Wolves saved the best for last. Clearly taking hints from drummer’s brother Spencer Chamberlain, To Speak of Wolves have found their sound with M<LG, proving Solid State to be the perfect residence for them. For only a debut record, Myself<Letting Go provides future potential for Wolves; if they can expand their sound and continue to experiment (“Quercus Alba”), they could easily stand beside Underoath and other similar heavy acts. The only flaw on this album is in fact Jacobs’ clean vocals, for he’s best when he’s an absolute machine with his screams. Nonetheless, Myself<Letting Go is a wondrous beginning for To Speak of Wolves, leaving their future radiant with promise.

Recommended If You Likeother Solid State releases; Haste the Day; Oh, Sleeper; August Burns Red; Underoath

Listen ToTrust, But Verify; Quercus Alba; Nothing Ever Ends

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Darkness Often Yields The Brightest Light
2. You Should’ve Locked Your Door Ages Ago
3. Trust, But Verify
4. Dimming The Light
5. White Dress, Red Letter
6. Just One Last Time
7. In The Midst Of The City
8. Quercus Alba (Ft. Underoath’s Spencer Chamberlain)
9. Your Cage May Not Have Bars, But It’s Still A Cage
10. Nothing Ever Ends

To Speak Of Wolves are:
Rick Jacobs – Vocals
Aaron Kisling – Guitar
Will McCutcheon – Bass
Corey Doran – Guitar
Phil Chamberlain – Drums

myspace.com/tospeakofwolves

phillipjacob 07/23/10 12:47 AM

yes one of my favorite albums that came out this spring. band has solid potential

awakeohsleeper 07/23/10 01:29 AM

I never picked this up and I probably should have.

cubs223425 07/23/10 04:05 AM

I thought that the vocals Rick did on, "Quercus Alba," were similar to what would have been from Thrice. The songs just felt like a Thrice song until Spencer came in.

Still, I was very impressed with it when I first heard it, though I've noticed I haven't listened to it as much recently. It makes me wonder if I just overdid listening to it (I've done so in the past), or if they just lack originality and staying power.

I didn't find Rick's clean vocals to be that bad, though they weren't anything to write home about, either. Still, I think they need to be there, or it just gets boring. I prefer music that switches the screaming on and off.

Ryan Gardner 07/23/10 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubs223425 (Post 71729252)
I thought that the vocals Rick did on, "Quercus Alba," were similar to what would have been from Thrice. The songs just felt like a Thrice song until Spencer came in.

Still, I was very impressed with it when I first heard it, though I've noticed I haven't listened to it as much recently. It makes me wonder if I just overdid listening to it (I've done so in the past), or if they just lack originality and staying power.

I didn't find Rick's clean vocals to be that bad, though they weren't anything to write home about, either. Still, I think they need to be there, or it just gets boring. I prefer music that switches the screaming on and off.

I agree with your thoughts on "Quercus;" the whole first half of that song has a Thrice feel to me. I almost put that in my review ha

PetitnaindesÎles 07/23/10 07:54 AM

Agree with the whole review and the score, it's a decent album, but i think the production is too clean compared to the EP.
I was a bit disappointed by the vocals in White Dress, Red Letter who was better in the demo (not sure if it was with the old singer), but the singer does a great job in Quercus Alba.
Off the review, it's weird to have only 1 member left of the original line-up when the band was formed like...2 years ago ?

Ryan Gardner 07/23/10 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario57 (Post 71733342)
Agree with the whole review and the score, it's a decent album, but i think the production is too clean compared to the EP.
I was a bit disappointed by the vocals in White Dress, Red Letter who was better in the demo (not sure if it was with the old singer), but the singer does a great job in Quercus Alba.
Off the review, it's weird to have only 1 member left of the original line-up when the band was formed like...2 years ago ?

Yeah, the only remaining member is drummer Phil Chamberlain; I didn't read in depth as to why all the member changes, but I felt it necessary to include in my review, nonetheless.

Handraa 07/25/10 08:31 AM

i couldn't get into their EP at all, but this, i dig.

xsinkshipsx 02/15/11 09:09 PM

my friend was on this EP and him and most of the old members wrote that album...lame