AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Number 12 Looks Like You, The - Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=182069)

TomAce 10/24/06 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeACat (Post 4605998)
To reviewer: two words sawtooth grin. http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=3917
www.myspace.com/thesawtoothgrin
listen to them and they sound fimilar.
Did you mention these guys were grind?
Dont ask ppl to prove u wrong in you review. Cuz then you get proven wrong.

But ya these guys soon will become i think one of the most popular grind band around.


Sawtooth Grin were great, saw them many a time. And i already concider 12 to be one of the biggest grind bands around. Everone should check out Chree's (The drummer on this cd) band, their called Batter Up, its more punk/hardcore stuff but still very enjoyable.

saysmydoctor 10/24/06 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Marquez (Post 4608613)
It bothers me when people say that shit. I listen to tons of music and I think that I am very open minded. Number 12 is AMAZING music, these guys are so intense.

Openmindedness is the key to enjoying music.

stefan.penarice 10/24/06 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Marquez (Post 4606156)
Any growls? I think those are fucking brutal. Is it as technical as #12 is?


Ohhh man, if you haven't checked it out already:
Ex-Sawtooth Grin
http://www.myspace.com/cloacalkissband

Absolutely nuts. Probably one of the most brutal bands I've heard in terms of sheer madness.

I have the STG's "Cuddlemonster" and the three unreleased(?), however attainable, tracks Boxcutter, Pervavor, and Rapekit.
I also have Cloacal Kiss's LP "Easter".

I agree with others in saying that STG is not a good comparrison... in my opinion they sound nothing alike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeACat (Post 4606808)
You have a better comparison?


No, comparison's don't matter really, they sound nothing alike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mht (Post 4608456)
sawtooth grin blows
cloacal whatever their name is kiss blows

just bands for scene kids to name drop who actually are god awful, anyone can scream and play really fast, doesnt it make it good.



Yeah....... seeing as more "scene kids" "name drop" the number twelve vs. the sawtooth grin or even Cloacal Kiss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eight (Post 4609116)
i love this record. it's definitely one of my favorites.

you say they have a jazz influence way too much, considering they really don't.

your reviews never flow well. you're not a very good writer.


Considering the music the Number Twelve comes out with almost ALWAYS have at least 3 distinctive attributes comparative to jazz: Polyrhytm, Call and Response, and Improvisation. And I don't think you should deny that, becuase it's blatanly apparent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xYourOpenHandx (Post 4609406)
Openmindedness is the key to enjoying music.


I agree with this statement x100000000. I listen to so many different bands and even genres of music, I can't even stand just listening to one becuase I hate having to search through piles of myspaces and go to countless shows to try and find a band I like that fits the genre.

Sufjan Stevens, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Radiohead, Coldplay, Three 6 Mafia, Esoteric, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Deerhoof, etc etc.

perrone 10/24/06 05:46 PM

sawtooth grin have been around fucking forever...if they haven't gotten big by now, they won't

this is a good cd...but pretty much their only good cd

sad nuclear sad is so atrocious

Kyle Thrash 10/24/06 05:50 PM

[quote=bustamebus;4609260]i remember listneing to this cd back when i was back in like 8th or 9th grade (senior now) and remember it scaring the living hell out of me. but then in 10th - 11th grade i somehow found the cd in my room and popped it in and loved it since. this was probably the cd that has expanded my musical taste. quote]

im a senior now too and my buddy showed me this band back in 9th grade and i really got into this EP awhile ago. jesus and tori just use to be like whattttttttt.


this band is one of my favorite live bands(seen em 5 times). always screamign with the leadsingers and just having a blast listening to great talented music. it really shows live.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bustamebus (Post 4609260)
i remember listneing to this cd back when i was back in like 8th or 9th grade (senior now) and remember it scaring the living hell out of me. but then in 10th - 11th grade i somehow found the cd in my room and popped it in and loved it since. this was probably the cd that has expanded my musical taste.

and yeah, they are talented at best. The guys in this band dont even look like they'd play in a band like they do (well except for a few). i remember seeing them live and alex came out and was wearing a nice collard shirt with nice jeans and dress shoes and a nice ass leather jacket. and then he busted out his guitar and play some technical jazz riffs. and who would of thought that smoogs the bassists is a substitute teacher on the side? this band never ceases to amaze me.

good review pat!

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah dude, they are super intense. If you want to hear some REAL fucking scary music, PLEASE check out Khlyst, so unreal dude... crazy shit.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomAce (Post 4609378)
Sawtooth Grin were great, saw them many a time. And i already concider 12 to be one of the biggest grind bands around. Everone should check out Chree's (The drummer on this cd) band, their called Batter Up, its more punk/hardcore stuff but still very enjoyable.

I will look into it for sure. For some reason, the name sounds super familiar.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan.penarice (Post 4609900)
Ohhh man, if you haven't checked it out already:
Ex-Sawtooth Grin
http://www.myspace.com/cloacalkissband

Absolutely nuts. Probably one of the most brutal bands I've heard in terms of sheer madness.

I have the STG's "Cuddlemonster" and the three unreleased(?), however attainable, tracks Boxcutter, Pervavor, and Rapekit.
I also have Cloacal Kiss's LP "Easter".

I agree with others in saying that STG is not a good comparrison... in my opinion they sound nothing alike.



No, comparison's don't matter really, they sound nothing alike.




Yeah....... seeing as more "scene kids" "name drop" the number twelve vs. the sawtooth grin or even Cloacal Kiss.



Considering the music the Number Twelve comes out with almost ALWAYS have at least 3 distinctive attributes comparative to jazz: Polyrhytm, Call and Response, and Improvisation. And I don't think you should deny that, becuase it's blatanly apparent.



I agree with this statement x100000000. I listen to so many different bands and even genres of music, I can't even stand just listening to one becuase I hate having to search through piles of myspaces and go to countless shows to try and find a band I like that fits the genre.

Sufjan Stevens, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Radiohead, Coldplay, Three 6 Mafia, Esoteric, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Deerhoof, etc etc.

Dude, couldn't agree with you more. I fucking hate when kids limit themself to one genre. How could you? I know I can't. I absolutely love trying to find new music in crazy ass genres. I'm all about it bout it.

Tom Good 10/24/06 09:01 PM

I LOVED Nuclear. Sad. Nuclear, I'll have to check this out thanks to your great review Pat. Is it much different?

Tom Good 10/24/06 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Marquez (Post 4610419)
Dude, couldn't agree with you more. I fucking hate when kids limit themself to one genre. How could you? I know I can't. I absolutely love trying to find new music in crazy ass genres. I'm all about it bout it.


I can't either. I listen to tons of different kinds. I have learned to appreciate some aspects of different music and instruments through things that people might not normally listen to, like Jazz and Blues.

Pat Marquez 10/25/06 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Good (Post 4612563)
I LOVED Nuclear. Sad. Nuclear, I'll have to check this out thanks to your great review Pat. Is it much different?

Nuclear Sad Nuclear is one of my favorite albums, so incredible.

Pat Marquez 10/25/06 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mht (Post 4615451)
nice, i cant wait for that review should be great, i love that album, i started reading through after your review of the #12, and saw someone jumble about sawtooth grin and just assumed they name dropped it. but just wondering have you ever heard of the band thumbscrew? probably my favorite band that some of the cooler apers have introduced me to. check them out.

I have seen the name around here, but haven't checked them out. I will for sure.

so typical 10/25/06 12:10 PM

lovely review...number 12 is unlike anything i've heard...its a sound soley theres

Pat Marquez 10/25/06 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by so typical (Post 4617513)
lovely review...number 12 is unlike anything i've heard...its a sound soley theres

They are just that good br0.

stefan.penarice 10/25/06 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Good (Post 4612563)
I LOVED Nuclear. Sad. Nuclear, I'll have to check this out thanks to your great review Pat. Is it much different?


Extremely different. Nuclear. Sad. Nuclear. seemed to try to be too technical. However, I understand that they are trying to approach how they produce their music a little differently.. as you could see from the transition from POYRRG to "An Inch of Gold for an Inch of Time" (which was widely hated, even I hated it). I'll give the #12 a while to get their feet under themselves to finally master what they're trying to accomplish.

I did see them live last year in Milwaukee. It was absolutely nuts. It was at the Shorewood Legion Hall, extremely small, extremely packed and there was no stage. So... having Jase and Justin on the floor running through the packed crowd screaming wildly each song was an experience no one should pass up, even if you don't like the music.