AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Number 12 Looks Like You, The - Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=182069)

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 09:36 AM

Number 12 Looks Like You, The - Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses
 
Any group of kids that decide to name their band The Number 12 Looks Like You had better be prepared to get a bunch of stares and even expect to have a few kids simply write the band off from the beginning. However, knowing that I am not one of those kids nor will I ever be (unless you name your band something awful such as Dying In Winter) I began listening to these guys not to long ago. This is technical guitar work at it’s best. The insane musicianship of axe shredding is all thanks to Jamie and Alex. These two guys make everything sound simply beyond belief, it‘s hard to imagine anyone being able to play their guitars so well. It is mind blazingly technical and so strongly jazz influenced that as this music blares through your speakers you fear that everything around you is going to blow the fuck up in a matter of seconds. This is what I look for in music, a band that is going to push it as hard as they can and change their direction of flow so many times that they are going to redefine unpredictable. Their latest re-release Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses is as destructively brutal as it is amazingly gorgeous. Any one that has given The Number 12 Looks Like You a chance, knows that those jazzy break downs are bone chilling. How many bands do you know are able to go from absolute chaos to sounding so elegant? Not many could even attempt to pull this off, but The Number 12 does it well. As I keep on listening, they still continue to blow me away with each song. It is nearly impossible to simply sit here and listen to the music with out feeling the need to move your body or imagine yourself at the concert and charging to the front. Your emotions and feelings will run wild as the CD develops.

The gut wrenching screeches, the deathly growls and the inconceivable percussion make this band one of the most talented groups around today. The most vicious track off the album is “Jesus And Tori.” The song is set in motion with insane guitar work that has the listener wondering if these guys fingers are going to fall off at any given second. If you consider yourself a fan of industrial guitar work, you will be blown away as you listen to this track. Once the serenade of the guitars is completed the insane burly growls enter and then everything finally explodes into what is the rest of the track. The preeminent thing about The Number 12 Looks Like You is that there is not one single band you can compare them to. I do admit that they have a few characteristics here and there of other groups but if anyone were to ask you “name a band they sound like,” you can not do it. Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses is full of wonderful break downs are that are very avant-garde. There are no other bands that stop and fall into a jazz ballad. That is my attachment with the band, they are original by the truest definition and are bound by nothing. No one in the music world is even attempting to create something so vastly obscure as these guys have. The Number 12 are pioneers and they are truly a band that is way ahead of their time. “Empty Calm” is a song that you could play for any jazz purist and they would with out a doubt in my mind proclaim that this is a perfect display of two young guys with excellent musicianship. Making no use of vocals, this is simply the guitarists song showcasing their incredible talent. Challenging yourself is a good thing. If you are looking for music that is out of this world and difficult to fathom, Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses will make your top ten this year again.

whyte39 10/24/06 10:08 AM

nice review man, and only two paragraphs, impressive

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whyte39 (Post 4605972)
nice review man, and only two paragraphs, impressive

Ha, thanks. I didn't want to repeat myself to much.

LikeACat 10/24/06 10:12 AM

To reviewer: two words sawtooth grin. http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=3917
www.myspace.com/thesawtoothgrin
listen to them and they sound fimilar.
Did you mention these guys were grind?
Dont ask ppl to prove u wrong in you review. Cuz then you get proven wrong.

But ya these guys soon will become i think one of the most popular grind band around.

whyte39 10/24/06 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Marquez (Post 4605978)
Ha, thanks. I didn't want to repeat myself to much.

haha, yea man, its cool, perfect length, it just jumped out at me as a whole that it was two paragraphs, and justified at that

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeACat (Post 4605998)
To reviewer: two words sawtooth grin. http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=3917
www.myspace.com/thesawtoothgrin
listen to them and they sound fimilar.
Did you mention these guys were grind?
Dont ask ppl to prove u wrong in you review. Cuz then you get proven wrong.

But ya these guys soon will become i think one of the most popular grind band around.

I don't usually try and define a band by a genre. You could call them grindcore but the typical bands that are referred to as grind sound a lot more crunchier then #12, just my opinion I guess. I asked you to prove me wrong by saying you didn't like the band.

LikeACat 10/24/06 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Marquez (Post 4606027)
I don't usually try and define a band by a genre. You could call them grindcore but the typical bands that are referred to as grind sound a lot more crunchier then #12, just my opinion I guess. I asked you to prove me wrong by saying you didn't like the band.


Touche

Still take a quite listen on their myspace (band has broken up since then).

Im looking foward to their next album. Im pretty sure theyve finished recording it?

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeACat (Post 4606060)
Touche

Still take a quite listen on their myspace (band has broken up since then).

Im looking foward to their next album. Im pretty sure theyve finished recording it?

I will take a listen. I'm always down for a new good band.

BallsInYoFace! 10/24/06 10:26 AM

Ummm Chree played drums, not guitar, and he's not in the band anymore either.

LikeACat 10/24/06 10:27 AM

U should they only have unreleased tracks on their website. Cuddlemonster EP is kinda hard to download. They have even higher pitched screams then the # 12.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallsInYoFace! (Post 4606103)
Ummm Chree played drums, not guitar, and he's not in the band anymore either.

You are correct, I have once again read the bio incorrectly. Fixed!

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeACat (Post 4606109)
U should they only have unreleased tracks on their website. Cuddlemonster EP is kinda hard to download. They have even higher pitched screams then the # 12.

Any growls? I think those are fucking brutal. Is it as technical as #12 is?

backpocket 10/24/06 11:01 AM

Problems with your review -

On empty calm, jamie does not play. That's only alex. And that track is more classical than jazz. Alex over tracked 2 and 3 guitars on that track.

Furthermore, this is a resissue of theri first EP that was out on the now defunct brutal records. They have written 2 records since this point. This is old material - 3 or 4 years old at least now.

that's all.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backpocket (Post 4606352)
Problems with your review -

On empty calm, jamie does not play. That's only alex. And that track is more classical than jazz. Alex over tracked 2 and 3 guitars on that track.

Furthermore, this is a resissue of theri first EP that was out on the now defunct brutal records. They have written 2 records since this point. This is old material - 3 or 4 years old at least now.

that's all.

This is a re-release. I figured I would review it, since it never was before.

FASSWcore 10/24/06 11:18 AM

good review, lame for people bickering cause it's a re-release. the comparison to sawtooth grin is pretty stretched, at least to me. cloacal kiss makes me wish sawtooth grin would get back together.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASSWcore (Post 4606488)
good review, lame for people bickering cause it's a re-release. the comparison to sawtooth grin is pretty stretched, at least to me. cloacal kiss makes me wish sawtooth grin would get back together.

It's all good bro, gotta get used to a few cats giving you heat because it never stops. Thanks for looking out though.

LikeACat 10/24/06 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backpocket (Post 4606352)

Furthermore, this is a resissue of theri first EP that was out on the now defunct brutal records. They have written 2 records since this point. This is old material - 3 or 4 years old at least now.

that's all.


Seriously?
New news to me.....

LikeACat 10/24/06 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASSWcore (Post 4606488)
good review, lame for people bickering cause it's a re-release. the comparison to sawtooth grin is pretty stretched, at least to me. cloacal kiss makes me wish sawtooth grin would get back together.


You have a better comparison?
They are not like a carbon copy, but both use very similar techs.

Romancebled 10/24/06 12:08 PM

nice review. i love this cd.

Criesofthepast7 10/24/06 12:38 PM

great review.

i have the old out of print copy, is there anything different with this one?

eversoinviting 10/24/06 02:02 PM

nice review, i've never really given these guys a chance but now I think I will

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eversoinviting (Post 4608312)
nice review, i've never really given these guys a chance but now I think I will

You should, if you do... let me know what you think of the band.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mht (Post 4608456)
sawtooth grin blows
cloacal whatever their name is kiss blows

just bands for scene kids to name drop who actually are god awful, anyone can scream and play really fast, doesnt it make it good.


good #12 review, i like their stuff, and hope to see any future projects from them etc.


i would like to see pat review have heart, tony danza tapdance extravaganza and/or thumbscrew.

Yo I just got the new Have Heart, should have that up for you soon bro. Tony Danza is fucking BRUTAL. I love them so much. I have to agree, I hate most of those bands scenester kids love to name drop but I don't think #12 is like that by any means. I don't even think most kids get or understand this band so I think I like that, haha.

saysmydoctor 10/24/06 02:32 PM

Good review, Pat. Most people here in my town say #12 isn't even "music." Good to know I'm not alone in loving this pretty amazing band.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xYourOpenHandx (Post 4608562)
Good review, Pat. Most people here in my town say #12 isn't even "music." Good to know I'm not alone in loving this pretty amazing band.

It bothers me when people say that shit. I listen to tons of music and I think that I am very open minded. Number 12 is AMAZING music, these guys are so intense.

irthetyler 10/24/06 03:08 PM

hahaha the fact people name dropped sawtooth grin is pathetic. This band does not sound like sawtooth grin and i can guarantee that twat has never listened to them.

eight 10/24/06 03:38 PM

i love this record. it's definitely one of my favorites.

you say they have a jazz influence way too much, considering they really don't.

your reviews never flow well. you're not a very good writer.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by last light (Post 4608860)
hahaha the fact people name dropped sawtooth grin is pathetic. This band does not sound like sawtooth grin and i can guarantee that twat has never listened to them.

I never have for sure, dono what that is all about.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eight (Post 4609116)
i love this record. it's definitely one of my favorites.

you say they have a jazz influence way too much, considering they really don't.

your reviews never flow well. you're not a very good writer.

:( Sorry.

bustamebus 10/24/06 03:58 PM

i remember listneing to this cd back when i was back in like 8th or 9th grade (senior now) and remember it scaring the living hell out of me. but then in 10th - 11th grade i somehow found the cd in my room and popped it in and loved it since. this was probably the cd that has expanded my musical taste.

and yeah, they are talented at best. The guys in this band dont even look like they'd play in a band like they do (well except for a few). i remember seeing them live and alex came out and was wearing a nice collard shirt with nice jeans and dress shoes and a nice ass leather jacket. and then he busted out his guitar and play some technical jazz riffs. and who would of thought that smoogs the bassists is a substitute teacher on the side? this band never ceases to amaze me.

good review pat!

TomAce 10/24/06 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeACat (Post 4605998)
To reviewer: two words sawtooth grin. http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=3917
www.myspace.com/thesawtoothgrin
listen to them and they sound fimilar.
Did you mention these guys were grind?
Dont ask ppl to prove u wrong in you review. Cuz then you get proven wrong.

But ya these guys soon will become i think one of the most popular grind band around.


Sawtooth Grin were great, saw them many a time. And i already concider 12 to be one of the biggest grind bands around. Everone should check out Chree's (The drummer on this cd) band, their called Batter Up, its more punk/hardcore stuff but still very enjoyable.

saysmydoctor 10/24/06 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Marquez (Post 4608613)
It bothers me when people say that shit. I listen to tons of music and I think that I am very open minded. Number 12 is AMAZING music, these guys are so intense.

Openmindedness is the key to enjoying music.

stefan.penarice 10/24/06 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Marquez (Post 4606156)
Any growls? I think those are fucking brutal. Is it as technical as #12 is?


Ohhh man, if you haven't checked it out already:
Ex-Sawtooth Grin
http://www.myspace.com/cloacalkissband

Absolutely nuts. Probably one of the most brutal bands I've heard in terms of sheer madness.

I have the STG's "Cuddlemonster" and the three unreleased(?), however attainable, tracks Boxcutter, Pervavor, and Rapekit.
I also have Cloacal Kiss's LP "Easter".

I agree with others in saying that STG is not a good comparrison... in my opinion they sound nothing alike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeACat (Post 4606808)
You have a better comparison?


No, comparison's don't matter really, they sound nothing alike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mht (Post 4608456)
sawtooth grin blows
cloacal whatever their name is kiss blows

just bands for scene kids to name drop who actually are god awful, anyone can scream and play really fast, doesnt it make it good.



Yeah....... seeing as more "scene kids" "name drop" the number twelve vs. the sawtooth grin or even Cloacal Kiss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eight (Post 4609116)
i love this record. it's definitely one of my favorites.

you say they have a jazz influence way too much, considering they really don't.

your reviews never flow well. you're not a very good writer.


Considering the music the Number Twelve comes out with almost ALWAYS have at least 3 distinctive attributes comparative to jazz: Polyrhytm, Call and Response, and Improvisation. And I don't think you should deny that, becuase it's blatanly apparent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xYourOpenHandx (Post 4609406)
Openmindedness is the key to enjoying music.


I agree with this statement x100000000. I listen to so many different bands and even genres of music, I can't even stand just listening to one becuase I hate having to search through piles of myspaces and go to countless shows to try and find a band I like that fits the genre.

Sufjan Stevens, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Radiohead, Coldplay, Three 6 Mafia, Esoteric, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Deerhoof, etc etc.

perrone 10/24/06 05:46 PM

sawtooth grin have been around fucking forever...if they haven't gotten big by now, they won't

this is a good cd...but pretty much their only good cd

sad nuclear sad is so atrocious

Kyle Thrash 10/24/06 05:50 PM

[quote=bustamebus;4609260]i remember listneing to this cd back when i was back in like 8th or 9th grade (senior now) and remember it scaring the living hell out of me. but then in 10th - 11th grade i somehow found the cd in my room and popped it in and loved it since. this was probably the cd that has expanded my musical taste. quote]

im a senior now too and my buddy showed me this band back in 9th grade and i really got into this EP awhile ago. jesus and tori just use to be like whattttttttt.


this band is one of my favorite live bands(seen em 5 times). always screamign with the leadsingers and just having a blast listening to great talented music. it really shows live.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bustamebus (Post 4609260)
i remember listneing to this cd back when i was back in like 8th or 9th grade (senior now) and remember it scaring the living hell out of me. but then in 10th - 11th grade i somehow found the cd in my room and popped it in and loved it since. this was probably the cd that has expanded my musical taste.

and yeah, they are talented at best. The guys in this band dont even look like they'd play in a band like they do (well except for a few). i remember seeing them live and alex came out and was wearing a nice collard shirt with nice jeans and dress shoes and a nice ass leather jacket. and then he busted out his guitar and play some technical jazz riffs. and who would of thought that smoogs the bassists is a substitute teacher on the side? this band never ceases to amaze me.

good review pat!

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah dude, they are super intense. If you want to hear some REAL fucking scary music, PLEASE check out Khlyst, so unreal dude... crazy shit.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomAce (Post 4609378)
Sawtooth Grin were great, saw them many a time. And i already concider 12 to be one of the biggest grind bands around. Everone should check out Chree's (The drummer on this cd) band, their called Batter Up, its more punk/hardcore stuff but still very enjoyable.

I will look into it for sure. For some reason, the name sounds super familiar.

Pat Marquez 10/24/06 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan.penarice (Post 4609900)
Ohhh man, if you haven't checked it out already:
Ex-Sawtooth Grin
http://www.myspace.com/cloacalkissband

Absolutely nuts. Probably one of the most brutal bands I've heard in terms of sheer madness.

I have the STG's "Cuddlemonster" and the three unreleased(?), however attainable, tracks Boxcutter, Pervavor, and Rapekit.
I also have Cloacal Kiss's LP "Easter".

I agree with others in saying that STG is not a good comparrison... in my opinion they sound nothing alike.



No, comparison's don't matter really, they sound nothing alike.




Yeah....... seeing as more "scene kids" "name drop" the number twelve vs. the sawtooth grin or even Cloacal Kiss.



Considering the music the Number Twelve comes out with almost ALWAYS have at least 3 distinctive attributes comparative to jazz: Polyrhytm, Call and Response, and Improvisation. And I don't think you should deny that, becuase it's blatanly apparent.



I agree with this statement x100000000. I listen to so many different bands and even genres of music, I can't even stand just listening to one becuase I hate having to search through piles of myspaces and go to countless shows to try and find a band I like that fits the genre.

Sufjan Stevens, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Radiohead, Coldplay, Three 6 Mafia, Esoteric, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Deerhoof, etc etc.

Dude, couldn't agree with you more. I fucking hate when kids limit themself to one genre. How could you? I know I can't. I absolutely love trying to find new music in crazy ass genres. I'm all about it bout it.

Tom Good 10/24/06 09:01 PM

I LOVED Nuclear. Sad. Nuclear, I'll have to check this out thanks to your great review Pat. Is it much different?

Tom Good 10/24/06 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Marquez (Post 4610419)
Dude, couldn't agree with you more. I fucking hate when kids limit themself to one genre. How could you? I know I can't. I absolutely love trying to find new music in crazy ass genres. I'm all about it bout it.


I can't either. I listen to tons of different kinds. I have learned to appreciate some aspects of different music and instruments through things that people might not normally listen to, like Jazz and Blues.

Pat Marquez 10/25/06 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Good (Post 4612563)
I LOVED Nuclear. Sad. Nuclear, I'll have to check this out thanks to your great review Pat. Is it much different?

Nuclear Sad Nuclear is one of my favorite albums, so incredible.

Pat Marquez 10/25/06 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mht (Post 4615451)
nice, i cant wait for that review should be great, i love that album, i started reading through after your review of the #12, and saw someone jumble about sawtooth grin and just assumed they name dropped it. but just wondering have you ever heard of the band thumbscrew? probably my favorite band that some of the cooler apers have introduced me to. check them out.

I have seen the name around here, but haven't checked them out. I will for sure.

so typical 10/25/06 12:10 PM

lovely review...number 12 is unlike anything i've heard...its a sound soley theres

Pat Marquez 10/25/06 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by so typical (Post 4617513)
lovely review...number 12 is unlike anything i've heard...its a sound soley theres

They are just that good br0.

stefan.penarice 10/25/06 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Good (Post 4612563)
I LOVED Nuclear. Sad. Nuclear, I'll have to check this out thanks to your great review Pat. Is it much different?


Extremely different. Nuclear. Sad. Nuclear. seemed to try to be too technical. However, I understand that they are trying to approach how they produce their music a little differently.. as you could see from the transition from POYRRG to "An Inch of Gold for an Inch of Time" (which was widely hated, even I hated it). I'll give the #12 a while to get their feet under themselves to finally master what they're trying to accomplish.

I did see them live last year in Milwaukee. It was absolutely nuts. It was at the Shorewood Legion Hall, extremely small, extremely packed and there was no stage. So... having Jase and Justin on the floor running through the packed crowd screaming wildly each song was an experience no one should pass up, even if you don't like the music.

xobstacleonex 10/25/06 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeACat (Post 4605998)
To reviewer: two words sawtooth grin. http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=3917
www.myspace.com/thesawtoothgrin
listen to them and they sound fimilar.
Did you mention these guys were grind?
Dont ask ppl to prove u wrong in you review. Cuz then you get proven wrong.

But ya these guys soon will become i think one of the most popular grind band around.

god. i love sawtooth.
cloacal kiss is just as brutal. but i wish they had a drummer.

Pat Marquez 10/26/06 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan.penarice (Post 4623327)
Extremely different. Nuclear. Sad. Nuclear. seemed to try to be too technical. However, I understand that they are trying to approach how they produce their music a little differently.. as you could see from the transition from POYRRG to "An Inch of Gold for an Inch of Time" (which was widely hated, even I hated it). I'll give the #12 a while to get their feet under themselves to finally master what they're trying to accomplish.

I did see them live last year in Milwaukee. It was absolutely nuts. It was at the Shorewood Legion Hall, extremely small, extremely packed and there was no stage. So... having Jase and Justin on the floor running through the packed crowd screaming wildly each song was an experience no one should pass up, even if you don't like the music.

Haha wow that sounds fucking awesome. I remember when I saw Death By Stereo on the Thursday tour Efrem actually got into the circle pit and starting running aroun. It was nuts.

morris601 10/31/06 08:33 PM

This Album Is The Jesus Of Spazzcore

Ryne 11/01/06 07:01 AM

“name a band they sound like,”
I think they sound like Saetia in certain aspects.

Pat Marquez 11/01/06 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morris601 (Post 4679071)
This Album Is The Jesus Of Spazzcore

Lolz, spazz core.