AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Ivoryline - Vessels (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1822192)

Drew Beringer 07/26/10 11:35 PM

Ivoryline - Vessels

IvorylineVessels
Release Date: July 27, 2010
Record Label: Tooth & Nail

You know the type. Bands that employ soaring vocals, huge guitar riffs, and the right balance between aggression and melody seem to also pique our interest. And when it's done right? We go absolutely bonkers. Everyone is quite aware of the site's obsession with Anberlin, Acceptance, etc., so it should come as no surprise that people are falling head over heels for Ivoryline. Their 2008 Tooth & Nail debut, There Came A Lion, gave us a glimpse into the band's potential. Nearly two and a half years later, and Ivoryline's latest offering, Vessels, is sure to shoot up many fan's 'Favorite' lists on last.fm.

While the thirteen track Vessels isn't extremely different than There Came A Lion, you can definitely hear the improvement and refinement in the group's songwriting. The production on this disc was handled by Aaron Sprinkle (who produced Lion as well), so it should come as no surprise that the production here is excellent. He lets Jeremy Gray's voice sound as powerful as ever without having it drown out the music. In fact, the intensity first heard on Lion is taken to the next level here. Throw in some tracks that show the band at their most ethereal for good measure, and what you'll have is the Tyler, Texas, quartet delivering on the promise shown from their debut.

In what can only be described as a dream come true for ears everywhere, former Acceptance vocalist Jason Vena joins Gray on the album's invigorating opener, “The Healing.” As the guitar riffs come out a-blazing (courtesy of Dusty Kittle), Gray and Vena join forces to create a vocal harmony very few bands will match. The band can also write some killer melodies, as tracks like “With The Daylight” and “Hearts Open” are the type of catchy rock songs you want to hear on the radio.

But the majority of “Vessels” feature anthemic and aggressive songs. Gray's voice fires away over pummeling guitar chords from Kittle (“Walking Dead”), while bassist Robert Woodward and drummer Wes Hart set the tone on “Search Me Out” and “No One Else.” Truly, the in-your-face, fist-pumping rocker is Ivoryline's bread and butter (the title track and “The Greatest Love”), but a few tracks here prove that the band is capable of much more. The beautiful “Made From Dust” sounds like it was risen from the ashes of Copeland, as the celestial verses take Gray's falsetto and forge forward to the collision of crashing cymbals and and rising riffs.

In the end, Vessels is a definite step up for the band, as they've beefed up and refined their musicianship and expanded their boundaries. Sure, some of the same things that plague the last record are present (songs get stagnant/blend, lyrics are weak at times), but it occurs less frequently. Vessels is a very good record, while the next record Ivoryline unleashes could potentially be great. But the sincere, ferocious, and revealing nature of Vessels will keep fans occupied until then.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. The Healing
2. With The Daylight
3. Search Me Out
4. Instincts
5. Hearts Open
6. Vessels
7. No One Else
8. Walking Dead
9. Broken Bodies
10. The Greatest Love
11. Made From Dust
12. Naked
13. You Bring Fire
Produced by: Aaron Sprinkle

Ivoryline is:
Jeremy Gray - vocals
Robert Woodward - bass
Dusty Kittle - guitar
Wes Hart – drums

Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

billyboatkid 07/26/10 11:44 PM

Because this album came out I decided to listen to their first.. Interested to hear this.

Good review.

Argentine 07/27/10 12:24 AM

I've never given this band a chance to be honest. Perhaps I should get on that...

Most of Tooth and Nail's roster is solid.

henry chinaski 07/27/10 12:38 AM

nice review. i'd give a higher score for creativity though. in my oppinion they have really good ideas compared to many other bands in their genre. kind of have a unique sound. the production is sweet. will get this soon.

red8ge 07/27/10 01:35 AM

Riyl?

Argentine 07/27/10 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red8ge (Post 71971092)
Riyl?

He mentioned the site being head over heels for Anberlin and Acceptance so maybe there's that.

red8ge 07/27/10 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalaKR@dr1cx (Post 71971302)
He mentioned the site being head over heels for Anberlin and Acceptance so maybe there's that.

X-) how the hell did i miss that..

Argentine 07/27/10 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red8ge (Post 71972962)
X-) how the hell did i miss that..

Haha, nah it's cool. I go straight for the RIYL's sometimes too.

roisterboy 07/27/10 07:56 AM

Ivoryline this week! JEW and Anberlin late September! My ears are going to be busy for the next couple months!

XenoAbe 07/27/10 08:42 AM

I thought this record was outstanding so I thought the score was a bit low. Just curious, but what makes you believe the lyrics are subpar? I've always liked their lyrics.

Drew Beringer 07/27/10 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenoAbe (Post 71979252)
I thought this record was outstanding so I thought the score was a bit low. Just curious, but what makes you believe the lyrics are subpar? I've always liked their lyrics.

I like the lyrics on the majority of the album.

xsinkshipsx 07/27/10 08:50 AM

Their progression is similar to that of anberlin (though I think that blueprints was a weaker debut than TCAL) anberlin's second album was very good while the 3rd was great. I expect a lot out of this band in the future.

Good review

trappedintime 07/27/10 08:51 AM

On my way to pick this up. Ivoryline deserves much more exposure than they get. Great review Drew, Ivoryline can do no wrong.

JuneJuly 07/27/10 09:00 AM

I shall have to pick this up. =]

Ryan Gardner 07/27/10 09:01 AM

Great review and record

Kaku 07/27/10 09:14 AM

My last tweet says everything:

Quote:

My Top 3 Weekly #lastfm artists: Ivoryline (176), Sent By Ravens (33) and Broadway (22)

Almost non stop listening to it.
This album has influences from Anberlin and Acceptance and was produced by Aaron Sprinkle and as an addition Matt from Emery. This could only be a winner with this line up.
I am kinda dissappointed with the rating. It did expect it to be at least 80%, the review itself is very positive and sounds like over 80%. Just give them a half point more at something plz. ;)

I really love this album and is almost fore sure Top 3 this year and depending on the new Anberlin album might even be Nr. 1.

zachff 07/27/10 09:17 AM

Whisper it with me ... Jason Vena

DanielJames 07/27/10 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsinkshipsx (Post 71979572)
Their progression is similar to that of anberlin (though I think that blueprints was a weaker debut than TCAL) anberlin's second album was very good while the 3rd was great. I expect a lot out of this band in the future.

Good review

I'd agree with this. I've only listened to a few songs off the new album but it doesn't seem like they strayed too far from their debut.

awakeohsleeper 07/27/10 10:17 AM

Wow, I really need to listen to this.

thekazeblade 07/27/10 10:28 AM

I really liked the song the healing. It really set the stage. However, I personally didn't see any outstanding changes this time around. I felt like the softer songs in There Came a Lion felt a little bit more organic than they did this time around.

Not knocking the band though, I love these guys. I consider the album an overall success.

TSLROCKS 07/27/10 10:34 AM

Really don't like the album but it was cool to hear Jason Vena again

cubs223425 07/27/10 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roisterboy (Post 71977092)
Ivoryline this week! JEW and Anberlin late September! My ears are going to be busy for the next couple months!

Even better, they've actually set the Anberlin release to August 7th, so it's coming sooner than you think.

And House of Heroes on the 3rd...

cubs223425 07/27/10 11:02 AM

As far as the review itself:

I have yet to listen to this, but the way you spoke so highly of it seems to me that you would have given it a better score, but what you said has really intrigued me. I've listened to parts of the other works from last.fm, so I will definitely see what's up here.

Jake Jenkins 07/27/10 11:08 AM

Great review. Loved There Came A Lion, so I'll be picking this up today.

TwelveTribes230 07/27/10 11:25 AM

Great Cd. Got it on Amazon Mp3 with bonus tracks for $9.99 and listened to it on my way to work and really enjoy it. Not that different from the last cd but you can hear some fine tuning that was done. Overall I really enjoyed it.

the seventeenth 07/27/10 11:33 AM

Record is amazing, miles ahead of their first.

the seventeenth 07/27/10 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaku (Post 71981102)
My last tweet says everything:

Quote:

My Top 3 Weekly #lastfm artists: Ivoryline (176), Sent By Ravens (33) and Broadway (22)

Almost non stop listening to it.
This album has influences from Anberlin and Acceptance and was produced by Aaron Sprinkle and as an addition Matt from Emery. This could only be a winner with this line up.
I am kinda dissappointed with the rating. It did expect it to be at least 80%, the review itself is very positive and sounds like over 80%. Just give them a half point more at something plz. ;)

I really love this album and is almost fore sure Top 3 this year and depending on the new Anberlin album might even be Nr. 1.

Your Top 3 is great. Broadway deserves so much more attention.

socalnat 07/27/10 11:44 AM

love love love

rad review! love this album!

Young Machetes 07/27/10 11:51 AM

Great record. Gonna be buying it this afternoon.

Meeze 07/27/10 12:16 PM

Generic post-hardcore album with enough homosexual Jesus love to turn any "non-believer" off. But boy is it nice to hear Jason Vena's voice again!

XenoAbe 07/27/10 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubs223425 (Post 71987572)
Even better, they've actually set the Anberlin release to August 7th, so it's coming sooner than you think.

And House of Heroes on the 3rd...

Sept. 7th

cubs223425 07/27/10 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenoAbe (Post 71993672)
Sept. 7th

Wow, I'm all over the map of typos today...

Loch_Doun 07/27/10 01:00 PM

What a coup it was to get Jason Vena in on a track. That's a way to generate buzz...

Rysker6 07/27/10 01:01 PM

I didn't really care for their first record, but Im gonna be checking this out after this review.

VeryWittyName 07/27/10 01:02 PM

Are the last two tracks bonus tracks or album tracks? I swear Made from Dust was supposed to be the last song...

phillipjacob 07/27/10 01:13 PM

i dont buy albums and i bought this.

enough said.

NateFoundGlory 07/27/10 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryWittyName (Post 71995932)
Are the last two tracks bonus tracks or album tracks? I swear Made from Dust was supposed to be the last song...

I didn't notice that until now. Yeah, they must be bonus songs, because the version I downloaded ended on "Made From Dust".

cwhit412 07/27/10 01:26 PM

The Healing is a killer song. Love it.

ind1ekid 07/27/10 01:32 PM

Going to enjoy listening to this me thinks :D Nice review as always too.

uberlou 07/27/10 01:43 PM

And when it's done right? We go absolutely bonkers.

I first read this line as "we get absolute boners". oops.

Either way, good review. I like what i've heard from the new album off myspace. Thinking of picking up this album today. I'm so bummed I only came across this band a few months ago thanks to Pandora. Kinda wish I heard about them sooner since their sound is right up my alley.

Also, nice to see some strong releases coming out from T&N again with this and Secret & Whisper

what_ever 07/27/10 02:16 PM

man, now I'm gonna have to listen to this

Nick Le 07/27/10 02:49 PM

Nice review. I loved their debut but haven't really listened to anything from this yet. Really looking forward to it though.

birtcho 07/27/10 04:36 PM

Will have to check this out

aradiantsunrise 07/27/10 06:29 PM

Love this album. Jeremy's voice has gotten so much better and Made From Dust is such a beautiful song, should have been the closer.

frasercoker 07/28/10 03:03 AM

Are these guys Christian? Or more importantly, are the lyrics about God, Faith and Jesus? Please say no.

kazuma_ootaro28 07/28/10 04:59 AM

This seems something I would listen to whenever I'm in a mood for the style of music in the vein of Anberlin/The Almost/Promises For the Imperfection. Though I was only interested in "Days End" before this album came out.

abellaw 07/28/10 08:05 PM

There were some songs that i really liked on their first album so i will be definitely checking this out. As always i really liked the review so props to Drew.

And to whoever said it above Broadway is an amazing band!!

agloriousruin 07/29/10 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frasercoker (Post 72055412)
Are these guys Christian? Or more importantly, are the lyrics about God, Faith and Jesus? Please say no.

So you will automatically not listen to a band just because they sing about their faith? So it is ok to not listen to a band simply because you disagree with who they are and what they stand for? If so, I'm sure we'd all have to dump a great deal of music. I mean, if this is the case, then we should all get rid of every album we have that was made by people who are complete jackasses. I mean, seriously, what an ignorant question.

frasercoker 07/29/10 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agloriousruin (Post 72151812)
So you will automatically not listen to a band just because they sing about their faith? So it is ok to not listen to a band simply because you disagree with who they are and what they stand for? If so, I'm sure we'd all have to dump a great deal of music. I mean, if this is the case, then we should all get rid of every album we have that was made by people who are complete jackasses. I mean, seriously, what an ignorant question.

Assume the worst, geez. And personally if it is about their faith, yes I will find it hard to connect with the lyrics on an emotional level. I have nothing against who they are, nor what they stand for. Just a question of personal preference, worded distastefully.

agloriousruin 07/29/10 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frasercoker (Post 72177782)
Assume the worst, geez. And personally if it is about their faith, yes I will find it hard to connect with the lyrics on an emotional level. I have nothing against who they are, nor what they stand for. Just a question of personal preference, worded distastefully.

My only point was that its unfair to judge based solely on one thing. I understand if you don't connect with the lyrics but to come right out and ask the question the way you did makes you seem a little ignorant. Didn't mean to come across to negatively, I just get tired of that question. It seems like whether or not a band is Christian is the only thing that people automatically dismiss a band or its music for. Over and over again that question comes up and it just gets overdone. That being said, I applaud Ivoryline for making an honest album that is true to who they are, just as I would any other band, regardless of what its about. On that level, I would hope that anybody who loves music would at least undersatnd.