Neil Nathan - 07.31.10
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
1. How did you get your band name?
2. How did this band get started?
Iíd been tooling around for a while in a rock band called THIS. We had our last EP produced by Barrett Jones (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Melvins) but we could never really find our sound. It was somewhere between Cheap Trick, AC/DC, and The Black Crowes, but never seemed to coalesce. Plus we went through so many drummers that Spinal Tap would have been proud. I then did a stint as the star of an Off Broadway rock opera. I played a mirror ball masked rock star who gave away his tunes for free and his record company assassinated him to recoup. A Rocky Horror/Hedwig/Tommy/Ziggy Stardust/The Wall kind of thing. Was a lot of fun gyrating about with dancers on all sides of me and singing 20 songs with numerous costume changes was quite a work out. After that, I just decided to explore my solo sound rather than start another band.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
The answer to that one is pretty much infinite. Really, itís anything I dig and that list is not small. However, I donít think youíd be able to fully figure out that list after listening to my songs, which is probably a good thing.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
It depends on my accommodations, because Iíd want to be comfortable if I was truly going to be awed on a nightly basis.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A lion as I like to think Iím regal and ornery, but really Iím just lazy and like to lie about for hours on end.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because I have a movie star in my new video.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Iíve got a tune called "Better Be Goiní" that sounds like T-Rex on cocaine and steroids. Itís got an absolutely barn burning solo by Joey Mazzola (Detroit Cobras, Sponge) that will melt your face off. The piano part by Dean Fertita (The Dead Weather, Queens of The Stone Age) is also wicked. Iím not down with video games, except Mike Tysonís Punch Out, so am uninterested in becoming an expert on Guitar Hero. Iíd rather take my own guitar skills up a few notches.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Everyone but God.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
That it showered me with enough money and freedom to make as many records as I wanted to, the way I wanted to, when I wanted to.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Playing an insane fraternity party and someone pulling the fire alarm, thus ending our set and a very strange, unexpected, and hilarious evening.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
12. What is your favorite song to play?
I cover this country crooner a friend of mine wrote called "Mia." It was on my last EP, Songsmiths. I love playing it live because itís just so effortless and makes me feel like Iím some fat old man on a porch. I have no idea why being a fat old man on a porch would make me happy, but there you have it.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Inside my head. A close second is St. Croix. A friend of mine had a place down there and we would take a run through the hills to this cove no one knew of, and snorkel. Turtles, Manta Rays and all sorts of brilliantly colored fish abounded. Total peace, privacy and natural beauty. It was magic.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
My first 45's were Neil Diamond's "Desiree" and Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me." I was rocking Shaun Cassidy's cover of "Da Doo Run Run" too. I also wrote a great song for the club I started, with my best The NightHawks. The chorus was ďWeíre the best and everybody knows weíre the best, yeah.Ē
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Talking to fish. I love Aquaman and everything he stands for. And I couldnít be more serious.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I fear Iím pulling the strings and thatís why things arenít quite as good as they could be.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Arbor Day because Iím into growth and trees usually grow.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Think about how I need more of it.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Iím hands down the best Neil Diamond mimic on the planet and I say that in all humility. Problem is, I need to be smoking to really nail his voice, and I quit cigarettes a year ago.