Many people want to complain and moan and say this was a terrible year for music. That statement, however, couldn't be any further from the truth. Were there some disappointments? Yes, but there were a lot of surprise, a couple out-of-left-field, and a few under-the-radar releases as well. Maybe all your favorite bands didn't deliver, but that doesn't mean music in general or as a whole was slacking this year. It's very possible you just missed some things, or were looking in the wrong places. With that being said, below is the list I came up with to express my feelings on and to review the year as a whole. These are my personal opinions and I don't expect anyone to agree with them fully, or even in the least bit, but I expect everyone to respect it. Hopefully some of the content you read below is foreign to you and sparks your curiousity enough to cause you to check out something new and fresh, which hopefully you can fall in love with or appreciate on some scale.
Top Albums of 2006
30) Chin Up Chin Up - This Harness Can't Ride Anything
29) Say Hi To Your Mom - Impeccable Blahs
28) Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly - The Chronicles of a Bohemian Teenager
27) As Tall As Lions - Self Titled
26) Placebo - Meds
25) Anathallo - Floating World
24) Sparta - Threes
23) Set Your Goals - Mutiny!
22) Burns Out Bright - Save Yourself A Lifetime
21) Plus 44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating
20) New Found Glory - Coming Home
19) Moneen - The Red Tree
18) Jenny Lewis With The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
17) Antarctica Takes It! - The Penguin League
16) Murder By Death - In Bocca Al Lupo
15) The Long Winters - Putting The Days To Bed
14) Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I Am Dreaming
13) Islands - Return To The Sea
12) The Elected - Sun, Sun, Sun,
11) Oh No! Oh My! - Self Titled
10) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
09) My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
08) Copeland - Eat, Sleep, Repeat
07) Owen - At Home With Owen
06) The Format - Dog Problems
05) Manchester Orchestra - I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child
04) Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
03) The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
02) Cursive - Happy Hollow
01) mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister
Hop Along, Queen Ansleis - Freshman Year
Mute Math - Self Titled
Controlling The Famous - Automatic City
Forgive Durden - Wonderland
Gatsbys American Dream - Self Titled
The Early November - The Mother, The Mechanic, and The Path
Men, Women & Children - Self Titled
Park - Building A Better ______
AFI - Decemberunderground
Trophy Scars - Alphabet. Alphabets.
Goo Goo Dolls - Let Love In
Thursday - A City By The Light Divided
Hit The Lights - This Is A Stick Up...Don't Make It A Murder
Spitalfield -Better Than Knowing Where You Are
Taking Back Sunday - Louder Now
Rise Against - The Sufferer and The Witness
These Arms Are Snakes - Easter
Saves The Day - Sound The Alarm
The Sounds - Dying To Say This To You
Starlight Mints - Drowaton
My Brightest Diamond - Bring Me The Workhorse
Tilly and The Wall - Bottoms of Barrels
Ef - Give Me Beauty...Give Me Death
Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
The Hush Sound - Like Vines
Swan Lake - Beast Moans
Top Singer/Songwriter/Solo Albums of 2006
16) Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds
15) Emily Haines - Knives Don't Have Your Back
14) Jeremy Enigk - World Waits
13) Rocky Votolato - Makers
12) Morrissey - Ringleader of the Tormentors
11) Caroline - Murmurs
10) Kevin Devine - Put Your Ghost To Rest
09) John Mayer - Continuum
08) M. Ward - Post War
07) Damien Rice - 9
06) Ray LaMontagne - Till The Sun Turns Black
05) Joshua Radin - We Were Here
04) Thom Yorke - The Eraser
03) Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
02) Josh Ritter - The Animal Years
01) Regina Spektor - Being To Hope
"Guilty Pleasure" Album of 2006
02) Rookie of the Year - The Goodnight Moon
01) Hawthorne Heights - If Only You Were Lonely
Albums I Missed In 2005
06) Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Broom
05) Editors - The Back Room
04) Winterpills - Self Titled
03) The Joggers - With A Cape and A Cane
02) Tapes N Tapes - The Loon
01) Margot and The Nuclear So and So's - Dust of Retreat
Top EPs of 2006
04) Sherwood - The Summer EP
03) David Bazan - Fewer Moving Parts
02) Page France - Pear / Sister Pinecone
01) Colour Revolt - Self Titled
Most Disappointing Albums of 2006
06) Swan Lake - Beast Moans
05) Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
04) Umbrellas - Illuminare
03) Dashboard Confessional - Dusk and Summer
02) Say Hi To Your Mom - Impeccable Blahs
01) Brandtson - Hello, Control
Best Producer of the Year
02) Brad Wood
01) Chris Walla
Best New Band of 2006
02) Colour Revolt
01) Manchester Orchestra
Runners-Up: Plus 44, Set Your Goals
Best Music Video of 2006
02) Damien Rice - "9 Crimes"
01) Thrice - "Red Sky"
Runners-Up: Owen - "One of These Days"
Best Lyrics of 2006
05) Mike Kinsella (Owen)
04) Jesse Lacey (Brand New)
03) Colin Meloy (The Decemberists)
02) Andy Hull (Manchester Orchestra)
01) Aaron Weiss (mewithoutYou)
Best Vocals of 2006
04) Andy Hull (Manchester Orchestra)
03) Mike Kinsella (Owen)
02) Aaron Marsh (Copeland)
01) Dan Nigro (As Tall As Lions)
Best Live Show
01) The Decemberists
Hardest Working Band of 2006
02) The Format
01) Page France
Best Record Label
Most Overrated Band
05) Blackpool Lights
04) The Working Title
01) Gnarls Barkley
Most Underrated Bands
14) Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin
13) Starlight Mints
12) Antarctica Takes It
10) The Long Winters
09) Controlling The Famous
08) The Joggers
07) Oh No! Oh My!
05) Tapes N Tapes
04) Margot and The Nuclear So and So's
03) Page France
02) Colour Revolt
01) Manchester Orchestra
03) Fergie - "London Bridge"
02) Plus 44 - "When Your Heart Stops Beating"
01) Justin Timberlake - "My Love"
02) JayZ - "Show Me What You Got"
01) Gwen Stefani - "Wind It Up"
01) The Decemberists - "Culling of the Fold"
Best 'Other' Zine Website
02) Hate Something Beautiful
Band of the Year
01) Brand New
Runner-Up: Manchester Orchestra
Band(s) Most Pimped By AP.net
02) Brand New
01) The Format
Best Band Related DVD
01) Motion City Soundtrack - Hooray For The Madness
Best Movies of 2006
03) The Last Kiss
02) The Departed
01) Little Miss Sunshine
Best TV Shows of 2006
05) The Daily Show
02) The Office
Most Anticipated Releases of 2007 (to name a few, and in no particular order)
- Fall Out Boy
- Jimmy Eat World
- Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
- Arcade Fire
- Motion City Soundtrack
- Against Me!
- Every Time I Die
- Third Eye Blind
- Comeback Kid
- The Starting Line
- Armor For Sleep
- Bright Eyes
- Alkaline Trio
- Say Anything
Worst Song of 2006
01) Angels & Airwaves - "It Hurts"
Best Songs of 2006
10) Plus 44 - "Little Death"
09) The Format - "Time Bomb"
08) As Tall As Lions - "Love, Love, Love"
07) My Chemical Romance - "Mama"
06) Josh Ritter - "Girl In The War"
05) Owen - "Bad News"
04) Damien Rice - "9 Crimes"
03) The Decemberists - "Sons & Daughters"
02) Brand New - "Jesus Christ"
01) mewithoutYou - "In A Sweater Poorly Knit"
I'm in yor thread - stealin ur first post.
I'm in yer thread. Stealin' yer third postz.
Manchester and BN ftw
gnarls bakrley most overrated? shame on you
underoath: most overrated
how do you put nigro as best vocals and don't even mention atal's album anywhere? just curious how this worked
Jared, your list will probably break the bank for me, as I plan to check out a lot of the stuff you have here that I haven't heard, mostly because whenever you've rec'd something that I've gone on to listen to, you've been right.
Keep up the good work, sir, and here's to more good times in 2007!
I think it's safe to include Tapes 'n Tapes in your list. The XL release was in June of this year, and if it means anything to you, Pitchfork included it on theirs.
I'm surprised to see Antarctica Takes It! there, let alone so high (your opinion, I know.) Nice to see The Long Winters getting some love. Not too bad of a list overall.
Yeahh, it's okay, but it's not the best, either.
how doou not mention the matches anywhere? and set your goals is not a new band by any means, they have ben around for at least three or four years. did you mean new to your ears?
Pfft. I find many things wrong with your list, sir.