AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Asking Akon (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1934162)

Blake Solomon 09/28/10 02:23 PM

Asking Akon
 
Asking Alexandria's cover of the Akon song "Right Now (Na Na Na)" can be heard on myspace.

Submitted by xent

topher465 09/28/10 02:26 PM

I'm sure this is great.

seegeewhy 09/28/10 02:28 PM

This is a very original and cutting edge idea.

whenwefirstmet 09/28/10 02:29 PM

inb4 150+ replies circlejerking about how this is cookie cutter, bland, and ruining the scene.

xBuffalo Wingx 09/28/10 02:30 PM

Amazing. Fuck all the hate

jimjam32 09/28/10 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whenwefirstmet (Post 76107202)
inb4 150+ replies circlejerking about how this is cookie cutter, bland, and ruining the scene.

this band is cookie cutter and bland. :rape:

DylanPPPP 09/28/10 02:35 PM

Shocked about the love this is already getting. Maybe I should actually give this a listen...

EDIT:
Pretty boring cover. Sounds like they took the one breakdown they use in every single one of their songs and put it in an Akon song. I'll give it...it's not awful. And this is coming from a guy who enjoyed Stand Up and Scream.

Young Machetes 09/28/10 02:45 PM

This is better than any song off this band's album.

That being said, it still sucks.

brandon_260 09/28/10 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanPPPP (Post 76107732)
Shocked about the love this is already getting. Maybe I should actually give this a listen...

EDIT:
Pretty boring cover. Sounds like they took the one breakdown they use in every single one of their songs and put it in an Akon song. I'll give it...it's not awful. And this is coming from a guy who enjoyed Stand Up and Scream.


Don't know what it is, but I played that album frequently for months

Spartan789013 09/28/10 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Machetes (Post 76108882)
This is better than any song of this band's album.

That being said, it still sucks.

I lol'd at the truth in this statement.

DylanPPPP 09/28/10 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon_260 (Post 76109062)
Don't know what it is, but I played that album frequently for months


Same. It took me that long to realize that most songs on it sound the same. I had it high as one of my favorite albums ever at what point but after more and more listens I got bored and only go back to it occasionally now.

incognitojones 09/28/10 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon_260 (Post 76109062)
Don't know what it is, but I played that album frequently for months

It got old very quickly for me.

I feel like they didn't really try to make a solid cover. Kids are gonna love it regardless of what they do.

brandon_260 09/28/10 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanPPPP (Post 76109652)
Same. It took me that long to realize that most songs on it sound the same. I had it high as one of my favorite albums ever at what point but after more and more listens I got bored and only go back to it occasionally now.


The exact same happened with me, I listen to it maybe a few times a month now

DylanPPPP 09/28/10 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon_260 (Post 76111402)
The exact same happened with me, I listen to it maybe a few times a month now


Not even that many for me. But I've recently rediscoverd the love i have for pop-punk so it's been all This Time Next Year, New Found Glory, Four Year Strong, The Wonder Years, Man Overboard, Transit as of late.

StephenYoung 09/28/10 03:27 PM

Singing sounds stale and boring. The breakdowns are repetitive, but the singing especially irked me, because I've heard AA sing pretty well in other songs.

xdrummerxdudex 09/28/10 03:55 PM

silly alsking alexandria trix are for kids

mayday 09/28/10 04:00 PM

This is bad. But then again, Akon sucks balls.

Dog_Sized_Bird 09/28/10 04:14 PM

Makes me wonder why I haven't already offed myself. Is a world where shit like this exists really worth living in? These are the types of questions Asking Alexandria brings to mind.

Mindless, numbing shit scene band covering a shit pop/rap song, adding some breakdowns, making it as void of any substance as possible, and trying to pass it off as music. Super original idea to top it all off.

Dog_Sized_Bird 09/28/10 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayday (Post 76115752)
This is bad. But then again, Akon sucks balls.

Even Akon is better than Asking Alexandria. At least Akon knows deep down that he's just a peformer/entertainer and not a musician.

Chris Collum 09/28/10 04:21 PM

:puke:

aceknifefight 09/28/10 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Machetes (Post 76108882)
This is better than any song off this band's album.

That being said, it still sucks.

this.

aceknifefight 09/28/10 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayday (Post 76115752)
This is bad. But then again, Akon sucks balls.

and this.

aceknifefight 09/28/10 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris92 (Post 76117512)
:puke:

coupled with the fact that t spills is all over ap X-) can we hear new underoath already??

StepsInADance 09/28/10 05:00 PM

I'd rather listen to the original
and I don't even like the original

Juan Jose 09/28/10 05:12 PM

I don't mind it, hopefully the other covers are a little bit more interesting

CheckeredFloors 09/28/10 05:44 PM

These guys are the most bland, generic and predictable scene core band out there. That being said, I didn't listen to it, mainly because I can already guess how its gonna sound and progress; just like every other 'scene band covers pop song' does.

dru 09/28/10 06:02 PM

hahahahahahhahahahahahaa

AlexEnglish 09/28/10 06:04 PM

Because this band is good, right?

ZinisterZman 09/28/10 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitojones (Post 76110052)
It got old very quickly for me.

I feel like they didn't really try to make a solid cover. Kids are gonna love it regardless of what they do.


Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon_260 (Post 76111402)
The exact same happened with me, I listen to it maybe a few times a month now


I still listen to it. :shrug: New cd might not be quite as generic i'm thinking they'll mature more like most younger bands do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog_Sized_Bird (Post 76116942)
Makes me wonder why I haven't already offed myself. Is a world where shit like this exists really worth living in? These are the types of questions Asking Alexandria brings to mind.

Mindless, numbing shit scene band covering a shit pop/rap song, adding some breakdowns, making it as void of any substance as possible, and trying to pass it off as music. Super original idea to top it all off.


Uhh sounds like a serious personal issue more so than a fact.
I mean the track is nothing special and that's obvious to anyone who gives it thought and isn't biased with hate or love, but if you really think that a genre of music (yes it is music) has that much of a negative impact on life then maybe you should just go ahead..

ImInTheCrapper 09/28/10 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Machetes (Post 76108882)
This is better than any song off this band's album.

That being said, it still sucks.

no way their intro was baller

ImInTheCrapper 09/28/10 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog_Sized_Bird (Post 76116942)
Makes me wonder why I haven't already offed myself. Is a world where shit like this exists really worth living in? These are the types of questions Asking Alexandria brings to mind.

Mindless, numbing shit scene band covering a shit pop/rap song, adding some breakdowns, making it as void of any substance as possible, and trying to pass it off as music. Super original idea to top it all off.

then go off yourself so no one has to read your annoying bullshit, douche bag

Young Machetes 09/28/10 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImInTheCrapper (Post 76125642)
no way their intro was baller

Do you have fully functioning ears? Clearly you don't, if you find anything of merit from this album.

Let me guess, you also think Attack Attack and Miss May I are also "baller"

Tyler Vagyler 09/28/10 07:11 PM

I'm kinda mad that "Down" was one of the songs picked for this. I actually liked that song lol and now Breathe Carolina tortured it badly.

TragedyofMariam 09/28/10 07:13 PM

did not like

Kyleisraddd 09/28/10 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Machetes (Post 76127202)
Do you have fully functioning ears? Clearly you don't, if you find anything of merit from this album.

Let me guess, you also think Attack Attack and Miss May I are also "baller"

I loved the intro to their album. It was awesome. I don't love Attack Attack! or Miss May I.

incognitojones 09/28/10 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZinisterZman (Post 76125592)
I still listen to it. :shrug: New cd might not be quite as generic i'm thinking they'll mature more like most younger bands do.


I feel like they're either make another 12 songs that sound the exact same as the 12 on their debut, or they'll try to switch it up a bit, but they'll probably just be ripping off different bands. I can't see an ounce of originality in this band.

Young Machetes 09/28/10 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitojones (Post 76130712)
I feel like they're either make another 12 songs that sound the exact same as the 12 on their debut, or they'll try to switch it up a bit, but they'll probably just be ripping off different bands. I can't see an ounce of originality in this band.

Like continuing to rip off Bring Me The Horizon?

$eth 09/28/10 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Machetes (Post 76127202)
Do you have fully functioning ears? Clearly you don't, if you find anything of merit from this album.

Let me guess, you also think Attack Attack and Miss May I are also "baller"

Listen to the fucking intro before you judge. Minus the screaming during the last 15 seconds, it's pretty hard to say it sucks ass. I have friends who can't stand any scene related shit, but he even finds the intro to be sick. I have never heard someone say it sucks.

ZinisterZman 09/28/10 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitojones (Post 76130712)
I feel like they're either make another 12 songs that sound the exact same as the 12 on their debut, or they'll try to switch it up a bit, but they'll probably just be ripping off different bands. I can't see an ounce of originality in this band.


True originality is hard to come by anymore my friend. I cut slack on that sorta thing as long as their sound is progressively identifiable for them. I mean they're less mediocre than Attack Attack! so that's already a start lol and the only other successful trance-post-hardcore band is Enter Shikari and they've changed a lot so it's hard to say they would sound directly like any other band. Only downside is they wrapped it up with Sturgis again..and we all know how that goes. So mixed feelings really, time will tell.

ZinisterZman 09/28/10 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Machetes (Post 76131942)
Like continuing to rip off Bring Me The Horizon?


He growls like Sykes sometimes and they're British..Otherwise: different bands going in split directions. Can't see the likeness here.

incognitojones 09/28/10 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Machetes (Post 76131942)
Like continuing to rip off Bring Me The Horizon?


And Attack Attack, A Day To Remember, The Devil Wears Prada, Alesana, and whoever else makes the same breakdowns as them over and over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZinisterZman (Post 76133292)
True originality is hard to come by anymore my friend. I cut slack on that sorta thing as long as their sound is progressively identifiable for them. I mean they're less mediocre than Attack Attack! so that's already a start lol and the only other successful trance-post-hardcore band is Enter Shikari and they've changed a lot so it's hard to say they would sound directly like any other band. Only downside is they wrapped it up with Sturgis again..and we all know how that goes. So mixed feelings really, time
will tell.


I wouldn't really classify them as trance or posthardcore, their sound is just a combination of different bands around them, such as the ones I listed above. I don't really consider them to have a distinct sound because they just combine elements of other bands who have an arguably distinct sound. They are just one of the many bands who somewhat have a style that is not at all original, and quickly get signed and make an album that sounds entirely the same throughout and very familiar if you have listened to other bands they tried to sound like. Saying they're betterthan Attack attack isn't saying much, especially in a musical sense, and they definitely don't have enough technical skill to stand out to listeners in any other way but having many gimmicks, which they seem to do well.

himynameisbrett 09/28/10 08:17 PM

Garbage. Heard better covers of this song that'll probably never see the light of day. sad.

silent_platypus 09/28/10 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitojones (Post 76110052)
It got old very quickly for me.

I feel like they didn't really try to make a solid cover. Kids are gonna love it regardless of what they do.

It got old before I was done with the first listen... and admittedly I generally like some of this stuff just for the fun side, but idk this band... whatever. You're right though, scene kids still eating it up.

Also it's annoying how they like try to be controversial. The singer (Dan? Danny? something) is always all like, "Oh, I party and I'm a addicted to sex and alcohol and get shit drunk all the time," and makes a whole stupid spectacle of it. And then they're always calling people whores and cunts onstage and curse excessively just because. Then going on yelling about STDs and having a required minimum amount of bras to be onstage before you start your next song... when most of your fanbase is underage... all filed under "Trying Way Too Hard."

xent 09/28/10 08:23 PM

i find this interesting..
but im still asking myself "is that danny's screams and clean vocals?!"

silent_platypus 09/28/10 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZinisterZman (Post 76134242)
He growls like Sykes sometimes and they're British..Otherwise: different bands going in split directions. Can't see the likeness here.

^Agreed. They kind of imitate what BMTH's rather immature message has historically been though and the two vocalists have closely related stage and media presence.

But musically, you're right.

silent_platypus 09/28/10 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by $eth (Post 76132722)
Listen to the fucking intro before you judge. Minus the screaming during the last 15 seconds, it's pretty hard to say it sucks ass. I have friends who can't stand any scene related shit, but he even finds the intro to be sick. I have never heard someone say it sucks.

Really? ...the intro to the album is the core of your argument... really? Ok then, so be it.

Chrisj182 09/28/10 08:29 PM

I really dislike this cover, along with the rest i've heard of this album. Must be the first Punk Goes album where I prefer the original artists like Jay Sean, Akon, MIA, B.O.B and Jason Derulo, all who have much more talent than any of the bands on this record.

johnnyferris 09/28/10 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Machetes (Post 76127202)
Do you have fully functioning ears? Clearly you don't, if you find anything of merit from this album.

Let me guess, you also think Attack Attack and Miss May I are also "baller"

hold up. bash all you want on attack attack and asking alexandria but not on miss may i. they're a great metalcore band and they have no scene synth

johnnyferris 09/28/10 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silent_platypus (Post 76136222)
It got old before I was done with the first listen... and admittedly I generally like some of this stuff just for the fun side, but idk this band... whatever. You're right though, scene kids still eating it up.

Also it's annoying how they like try to be controversial. The singer (Dan? Danny? something) is always all like, "Oh, I party and I'm a addicted to sex and alcohol and get shit drunk all the time," and makes a whole stupid spectacle of it. And then they're always calling people whores and cunts onstage and curse excessively just because. Then going on yelling about STDs and having a required minimum amount of bras to be onstage before you start your next song... when most of your fanbase is underage... all filed under "Trying Way Too Hard."

this
have you seen their shirt the shirt they have that says asking alexandria and behind that is all the dirtiest curse words in the world. just another example of them trying to hard and trying to get the big dudes in the pit on their side

incognitojones 09/28/10 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silent_platypus (Post 76136222)
It got old before I was done with the first listen... and admittedly I generally like some of this stuff just for the fun side, but idk this band... whatever. You're right though, scene kids still eating it up.

Also it's annoying how they like try to be controversial. The singer (Dan? Danny? something) is always all like, "Oh, I party and I'm a addicted to sex and alcohol and get shit drunk all the time," and makes a whole stupid spectacle of it. And then they're always calling people whores and cunts onstage and curse excessively just because. Then going on yelling about STDs and having a required minimum amount of bras to be onstage before you start your next song... when most of your fanbase is underage... all filed under "Trying Way Too Hard."

Didn't know they were disgusting people on stage as well, only saw them once when no one cared about them and didn't notice anything like that.