I have worked on AP.net for over 5 years, yet, this year stands out more than any others. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I worked a lot harder and promoted more bands through our features, which hopefully means that some of you, who only read the front page, will know who I am and what you should expect from my list. At the same time, I hope that you were able to discover some great bands due to my constant "whoring," or perhaps you wrote them off as being "hipster bands" that didn't deserve your attention. Either way, I have had an amazing year working with various bands and labels, and I'm thankful for this job more and more every day. Without it, I would not have been able to meet some of my favourite people in the music industry, but most importantly, I would not have been able to promote some of my favourite bands that deserve love and recognition.
With that being said, the albums that you see on this list have been the best companions that I have had all year. They have helped me block out the entire world for hours or days at a time; they have given me happiness when it seemed unattainable; they have helped me study, and they have also given new meaning to the "girls take forever to get ready" stereotype, for I get stuck dancing and singing in front of my mirror for far too long when I have so little time to waste. In short, this year has been full of uncertainties in various aspects of my life, but one thing has always been certain: 2010 was a great year for music, and it [music] has been the best kind of therapy.
Angus & Julia Stone - Down The Way
Julia Stone - The Memory Machine
Out of all bands that I have promoted tirelessly, their success is what I am most "proud" of. This duo went from playing in small venues to selling out shows across the globe within a few short months, as well as winning Album of The Year at the Australian Record Industry Awards. While that's quite the accomplishment, what makes me proud is the fact that they have now become a favourite on this very website, whose readers showed them little to no love at the beginning of the year. Seeing Down The Way pop up on so many end of the year lists is the best Christmas present that I could have ever hoped to be rewarded with for all of my work. Meeting them in October only solidified my feelings on why 2010 belongs to them; they are two of the most genuine and incredible
Thank you, Angus & Julia, for making such incredible albums, and thank you, the readers and friends, who listened to their music and loved it as much as I do.
02) Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles II
03) Siskiyou - Siskiyou
04) Four Tet - There Is Love In You
05) Midlake - The Courage Of Others
06) Dreamend - So I Ate Myself, Bite By Bite
07) Yeasayer - Odd Blood
08) The National - High Violet
09) Maserati - Pyramid Of The Sun
10) Ólafur Arnalds - ...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness
11) Dessa - A Badly Broken Code
12) Benoît Pioulard - Lasted
13) Seabear - We Built A Fire
14) Caribou - Swim
15) Raised By Swans - No Ghostless Place
16) A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Autumn, Again
17) Paper Tiger - Made Like Us
18) Bonobo - Black Sands
19) Juliette Commagere - The Procession
20) S - I'm Not As Good At It As You
21) Sun Airway - Nocturne of Exploded Crystal Chandelier
22) Jeremy Messersmith - The Reluctant Graveyard
23) Azure Ray - Drawing Down The Moon
24) The Album Leaf - A Chorus Of Storytellers
25) Pearly Gate Music - Pearly Gate Music
26) Eric & Magill - All Those I Know
27) Holmes - Have I Told You Lately That I Loathe You
28) Badly Drawn Boy - It's What I'm Thinking (Part One Photographing Snowflakes)
29) Suuns - Zeroes QC
30) World’s End Girlfriend - Seven Idiots
Basia Bulat- Heart of My Own
Bombay Bicycle Club - Flaws
Delorean - Subiza
Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here?
Holy Fuck - Latin
Hot Chip - One Life Stand
How To Dress Well - Love Remains
Isan - Glow In The Dark Safari Set
Josh Ritter - So Runs The World Away
Kaki King - Junior
Land of Talk - Cloak And Cipher
Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can
Menomena - Mines
Mice Parade - What It Means To Be Left Handed
MONO - Holy Ground: NYC Live With The Wordless Music Orchestra
Pantha du Prince - Black Noise
Ra Ra Riot - The Orchard
Ratatat - LP4
Rocky Votolato - True Devotion
Sally Seltmann - Heart That's Pounding
School Of Seven Bells - Disconnect From Desire
Shugo Tokumaru - Port Entropy
The Flashbulb - Arboreal
The Glitch Mob - Drink The Sea
The New Pornographers - Together
The Octopus Project - Hexadecagon
Trentemřller - Into the Great Wide Yonder
Wintersleep - New Inheritors
.. that deserve to be recognized
01) Salem - King Night
02) Nouveaunoise - Paraphrase Accolade
03) The Young Scamels - Tempest
04) The Naked and Famous - Passive Me, Aggressive You
05) Fences - Fences
06) S. Carey - All We Grow
07) Ikonika - Contact, Love, Want, Have
08) Perfume Genius - Learning
09) Tim and Sam's Tim and the Sam Band with Tim and Sam - Life Stream
10) St. Lola In The Fields - High Atop the Houses and the Towns
11) Yukon Blonde - Yukon Blonde
12) Nightlands - Forget The Mantra
13) Villagers - Becoming A Jackal
14) Mount Kimbie - Crooks & Lovers
15) Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
01) Winterpills - Tuxedo of Ashes
02) Tristeza - Paisajes
03) Ceo - White Magic
04) Holy Ghost! - Static on the Wire
05) The Details - The Details
06) Balam Acab - See Birds
07) Evenings - North Dorm
08) Girls - Broken Dreams Club
09) Zola Jesus - Stridulum II
10) Geographer - Animal Shapes
11) Young Man - Boy
12) British Sea Power - Zeus
13) Antony & The Johnsons - Thank You For Your Love
14) oOoOO - NoSummer4U
15) Hooray for Earth - Momo
2010 Albums I Listen To When I Sleep
(Read: Chill albums I love that I had to list somewhere)
01) Hammock - Chasing After Shadows... Living With Ghosts
02) Max Richter - Infra
03) Balmorhea - Constellations
04) Dustin O'Halloran - Vorleben
05) The Alps - Le Voyage
Album That Deserves Its Own List
Billions and Billions - Billions and Billions
At first, I placed this under "impressive debuts." Then, I placed it on my "chill" albums list. Eventually I realized that this album didn't belong on either. Sure, it's one of the best debut albums I've heard all year, and it's also a great album to fall asleep to. At the same time, this is also one of my best friend's albums and I'm as proud of what he's created as I am of Angus & Julia Stone -- if not more so. I would be lying if I said that I'm not biased, but I'm also very capable of being critical (for example, he knows how much I don't like his band, The Chemist vs. the Computer), so my love for this album is mainly a result of its greatness. Recorded at home with what many would consider "crappy equipment," Chris (oldwirehands) has created one of the most beautiful albums of the year, and the love and praise that it's receiving on other sites is a testament to this. Whenever he's not around to keep me company or calm me down when my hormones get the best of me, I have his gorgeous album to fall back to. I would like to thank him for creating and sharing this with me before anyone else, for being a great friend and just for being an all around amazing person to have around.
If you haven't had a chance to check this out yet, please do so here. If you enjoy ambient/post-rock music, then you will love this.
01) Crystal Castles - "Celestica"
02) Yeasayer - "Madder Red"
03) Angus & Julia Stone -"For You"
04) Ólafur Arnalds – "Tungliđ"
05) The Flashbulb - "Tomorrow Untrodden"
06) Julia Stone - "My Baby"
07) Midlake - "Acts of Man"
08) A Sunny Day In Glasgow - "Fall In Love"
09) Caribou - "Sun"
10) Sun Airway - "Your Moon"
11) Bombay Bicycle Club - "Flaws"
12) Sally Seltmann - "Heart That's Pounding"
13) Dreamend - "Repent"
14) Siskiyou - "Never Ever Ever Ever Again"
15) World's End Girlfriend - "Les Enfants du Paradis"
16) Suuns - "Up The Nursery"
17) S - "This Way Always"
18) The National - "Runaway"
19) Hot Chip - "I Feel Better"
20) Four Tet - "Plastic People"
Best Shows I Attended
01) Crystal Castles
02) Rodrigo y Gabriela
03) Angus & Julia Stone
04) Azure Ray
05) Lady Gaga
06) Holy Fuck
07) Jimmy Eat World
08) Something Corporate
11) Land Of Talk
Most Anticipated Albums of 2011
01) Lady Gaga
02) Angus & Julia Stone
03) Lykke Li
05) Sin Fang (Sindri of Seabear)
06) Holy Ghost!
07) British Sea Power
08) The Luyas
09) Iron & Wine
11) Holly Conlan
12) The Joy Formidable
14) The Low Anthem
15) Holly Throsby
16) Say Hi
17) The Details
18) Bright Eyes
19) The Rural Alberta Advantagw
20) J Mascis
People I've Obsessed Over This Year
01) Lady Gaga
02) Emily Haines (Metric)
03) Amy Millan (Stars)
04) Emma Stone
05) Maria Taylor & Orenda Fink (Azure Ray)
I can love and appreciate talented women without being gay. Maybe I am a little. I don't know. Nah.
Favourite TV Shows
Best Decision I Made
Changing my major to Criminology was the best decision I ever made. The time and money "wasted" towards my Political Science degree doesn't even phase me any longer, because I have now started to appreciate school again the same way I used to when I was younger. I have more motivation than I have had in years and I am eager to learn more because my classes have been incredible. Most people want the school year to end so that they can enjoy summer holidays, but I can't wait for school to be over so that I can start the following year. I'm excited beyond words to take more classes related to my degree. It feels so good to have a direction.
Best "Purchase" of 2010
Snoop Dogg (also known as Snoopy)
How To Stalk Me Without Seeming Creepy
Just felt like dropping by! :-d
Well.. thanks for stopping by! It's nice to have some company!
By the way, Down The Way has become my album of the year since I dropped into your thread. (Late.) Looks like next year, I'll be following your recommendations more closely.
And perhaps you should! I checked your last.fm and our compatibility seems to be super! Judging by your page, you would probably enjoy quite a few of the releases that will end up being on my list. :-)
Haha, somehow we're already friends on last.fm. X-) Not sure how that happened, haha. I'll definitely check out your list when you actually post it.
If you write reviews, you should consider submitting them on AP.net (if you don't already). I've been trying to find writers who can review the material that I cover since a lot of it doesn't get reviewed!
I was thinking about doing so, but at the moment I have not submitted any of my reviews from my site onto AP.net. I might do so in the future, but I was intending on keeping my own site reviews exclusive to my site for now. :shrug:
Finish your damn list Eda <3
Not that I'll know a single thing on it, but whatever.
Snoop Dogg...the cat?
Haha indeed. That's his name. :-)
Some of these bands on your list are so full of win.