AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Dustin Kensrue - Please Come Home (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=205696)

thebrowncoat 01/22/07 06:13 AM

I really love this album - anyone who hasn't should definitely check it out.

polock 01/22/07 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArTkY_ (Post 5454930)
I'm pretty sure Blood & Wine isn't about Dustin, Tony!

That aside, this is a pretty good review. :appl:

hahaha, since hes such a coke head

Tony Pascarella 01/22/07 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onxpoint (Post 5456287)
this line totally invalidated the review for me

"Avoiding the alt-country stigma, Please Come Home certainly is no "neighbor shot my dog, screwed my girlfriend, and stole my tractor" hell-raiser of a record."

how many alt-country records can you name with this kind of lyrical content? moreover, how many mainstream country records can you name with said content? that kind of stigma being attached to country music is really a huge annoyance of mine.

"i listen to everything but rap and country"

that being said, this record is really really good. "pistol" is perfect mixtape material.

It's a joke. Get over it.

The idea behind the statement still stands; this is not along the lines of what people generally think when they hear "country" mentioned in a music description. If one line invalidates the entire review for you, you most likely didn't read the whole thing. :shrug:

Is it possible to disagree with a line in a review? Of course. But to allow that line to invalidate an entire review? There's something wrong with that picture.

hxchairstylist 01/22/07 07:43 AM

well, if one guys misinterpretation of a line "invalidated" the review, i'll say this: Your review made me even more excited to pick this up tomorrow. Good review.

Steve Henderson 01/22/07 07:50 AM

This is so far from what I expected from Kensrue, but I love it. In fact, it even gives me a greater level of respect for Thrice's music when I can see how diverse and deep Dustin can be.

petey536 01/22/07 08:06 AM

awesome review, i cant wait to pick this up

Throwback 01/22/07 08:54 AM

Pistol is an amazing song. I love the whole record as well though.

Moira Amiss 01/22/07 08:55 AM

i have a really early version of "I Knew You Before" that I stumbled upon four years ago while searching for really early Thrice stuff . . . this version sounds completely different. I think the older version hits harder, just Dustin's voice and his guitar. That's all he'll ever need for me to enjoy his music.

Scott Weber 01/22/07 08:56 AM

I don't think this is a bad release per say, but I do think that if this wasn't Dustin Kensrue and his Thrice association, virtually nobody on this site would notice this album or even care. I would probably give this a 6.8 or so, I like the lyrics and I think there are some really solid songs, but it's nothing new - it's only something "new" in this genre.

Tony Pascarella 01/22/07 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Weber (Post 5457077)
I don't think this is a bad release per say, but I do think that if this wasn't Dustin Kensrue and his Thrice association, virtually nobody on this site would notice this album or even care. I would probably give this a 6.8 or so, I like the lyrics and I think there are some really solid songs, but it's nothing new - it's only something "new" in this genre.

Hmm. I like it a lot, but here's how I feel. I probably wouldn't have checked it out if there was no Thrice association, but I think I would have enjoyed it as much as I do now. So I see where you're coming from, and I half-agree.

bradyreier 01/22/07 09:00 AM

good review. i cannot wait to pick this up tomorrow!

Steve Henderson 01/22/07 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Pascarella (Post 5457098)
Hmm. I like it a lot, but here's how I feel. I probably wouldn't have checked it out if there was no Thrice association, but I think I would have enjoyed it as much as I do now. So I see where you're coming from, and I half-agree.

Same goes for me.

FatJordan 01/22/07 09:30 AM

I've never liked Thrice, but this album was still reccommended to me.

It's excellent.

decrescendo27 01/22/07 09:50 AM

dustin rules

nuff said

kirbs84 01/22/07 10:03 AM

excellent album...this is more of what I wanted Greg Graffin's last solo album to sound like.