AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Zune is Dead (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2220031)

Alex DiVincenzo 03/17/11 02:25 PM

Zune is Dead

Microsoft will cease development of Zune music players, although the software will continue.

steve187 03/17/11 02:25 PM

Zunes sucked anyway. iPod all day.

bandnamexmyname 03/17/11 02:26 PM

Old news, but yeah. Sucks.

NarcolepsySmile 03/17/11 02:26 PM

If they weren't the size of bricks I would have at least considered them.

mymusicismylife 03/17/11 02:30 PM

My Zune served me well, switched back to iPod after it broke though.

As Derrick Rust 03/17/11 02:34 PM

Man this sucks. I love both of my zunes and they have no issues.

Acad08 03/17/11 02:34 PM

My Zune HD is awesome, alot nicer than the old brick-style Zunes. I love the engine and the layout of the software also. This is sad news!

epaynedds 03/17/11 02:39 PM

Why get anything other than an iPod?

incognitojones 03/17/11 02:42 PM

Technological Darwinism at work.

Chris Collum 03/17/11 02:44 PM

http://whatthefuckisazune.tumblr.com/

DanTGD 03/17/11 02:44 PM

atticus18244fss 03/17/11 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve187 (Post 86694121)

Without competition Apple has no reason to continue improving iPods at a quick rate. Competition=good.

MADSTA 03/17/11 02:47 PM

Zune software was hellish.

pnkhrdwndr 03/17/11 02:48 PM

score one for the iPod

TheRealJohnOC 03/17/11 02:49 PM

I got a Philips GoGear and it still works great since I got it in 2005

Chris Collum 03/17/11 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atticus18244fss (Post 86695032)
Without competition Apple has no reason to continue improving iPods at a quick rate. Competition=good.

Except that they can make buckets of money each time they do because people will line up to buy the newest model? Besides, I'd hardly consider the Zune legitimate competition.

neo506 03/17/11 02:54 PM

Wait they were still in production until recently?

atticus18244fss 03/17/11 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris92 (Post 86695242)
Except that they can make buckets of money each time they do because people will line up to buy the newest model? Besides, I'd hardly consider the Zune legitimate competition.

In the end no competition equals no need for constant innovation. Business 101. And the Zune HD was probably the iPods only major competition.

blimpcityhero11 03/17/11 02:55 PM

"Oh no! Not the Zune!" said no one...

s12sim 03/17/11 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitojones (Post 86694802)
Technological Darwinism at work.

nice

whitelightning7 03/17/11 02:59 PM

Zune was pretty much screwed from the beginning.

kaylasananjou 03/17/11 03:08 PM

Mother fucker. Now I have to convert all my music and buy new goddamn speakers. Stupid cheap family getting me a Zune instead of an iPod.

That's what I hate about being the oldest. They get you the shitty stuff, but they get your younger siblings every new, amazing gizmo that comes out.

Mirrorsandfevers 03/17/11 03:11 PM

Rip.

schmohawk 03/17/11 03:12 PM

at least they tried...

Chris Collum 03/17/11 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atticus18244fss (Post 86695671)
In the end no competition equals no need for constant innovation. Business 101. And the Zune HD was probably the iPods only major competition.

Okay, I see what you're saying I believe. I think you're saying that Apple might continue to put out new versions of the iPod semi-frequently as they do now (which I am certain they will) but that they won't be as innovative, i.e. there won't be that much different about them because there is no competition?

That makes sense, but the only problem is that that argument is based upon the premise that the Zune was in fact a legitimate competitor, which quite frankly it wasn't.

In that chart Zune isn't even the #1 competitor to the iPod. That chart is from 2007, but the article states that last year iPod had 77% of the digital media player market, so the Zune HD obviously didn't change Apple's foothold much.

sweetfootaction 03/17/11 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasananjou (Post 86696271)
Mother fucker. Now I have to convert all my music and buy new goddamn speakers. Stupid cheap family getting me a Zune instead of an iPod.

That's what I hate about being the oldest. They get you the shitty stuff, but they get your younger siblings every new, amazing gizmo that comes out.

Why in the world would you need new speakers? Also, please tell me you weren't ripping your music in WMA format.

CastlesXClouds 03/17/11 03:16 PM

dont have a problem with my brick zune other than the fact that it is a brick. i like the software a lot more than itunes though no doubt about it.

The Brews 03/17/11 03:16 PM

Quote:

Get a job!

Dat4 03/17/11 03:16 PM

Bummer but it's not like I didn't see this coming. I'm glad they will keep the software because I despise the way Itunes works. It's such an atrocious program.

Chris Collum 03/17/11 03:19 PM

Quote:

Wow, either you don't understand how digital media formats work, or you're a fucking idiot for buying/ripping WMAs. Also I'm pretty sure they both have the same 1/8" headphone jack so yeah, I wouldn't worry about new speakers unless your speakers operate through the USB port. And your shit still works with your Zune, obviously.

Alternately you could stop bitching about your family, get a fucking job, and buy your own stuff.

Chris Collum 03/17/11 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat4 (Post 86696742)
Bummer but it's not like I didn't see this coming. I'm glad they will keep the software because I despise the way Itunes works. It's such an atrocious program.

WinAMP.

Say Nothing 03/17/11 03:20 PM

Lol

xsandwichesx 03/17/11 03:20 PM

I still like my zune :shrug:

troubledbyinsects 03/17/11 03:21 PM

Probably should have happened a while ago. iPods are far superior.

Jeff_Ryan 03/17/11 03:21 PM

I guess I shouldn't have done this.

mikeisonfire 03/17/11 03:22 PM

I've owned my 80GB Zune for a couple years now and I love it! They are super reliable and the sound quality is waaaay better than the ipod. It's treated me very well! Now I want to buy a Zune HD once the stores start liquidating them.

I'm sure a lot of people are reading this thinking I'm crazy for saying it :P

Spencer Control 03/17/11 03:24 PM

Sucks. My Sansa Fuze always kicks it after two, three years, so I was planning on checking out Zune because friends give it positive reviews. Not a huge fan of Apple in general.

trolland10 03/17/11 03:24 PM

i don't exactly understand why microsoft didn't market this better, if you've ever used a zune hd you'd know it was just so much easier than an ipod. really wasn't the Zune's fault, it could've been a serious contender/alternative to the ipod, but they were just so shitty at marketing this that it was sad. I just hope mine doesn't break anytime soon i really don't want to be forced to get an ipod.

Edit: you know what i always hated the most about ipods, that fucking clicking noise it makes when you scroll through the artists, makes me wanna pull my hair out

ZeoVGM 03/17/11 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve187 (Post 86694121)

Spoken like a true (wrong) Apple fanboy.

D' Evils 03/17/11 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trolland10 (Post 86697122)
i don't exactly understand why microsoft didn't market this better, if you've ever used a zune hd you'd know it was just so much easier than an ipod. really wasn't the Zune's fault, it could've been a serious contender/alternative to the ipod, but they were just so shitty at marketing this that it was sad. I just hope mine doesn't break anytime soon i really don't want to be forced to get an ipod.

Edit: you know what i always hated the most about ipods, that fucking clicking noise it makes when you scroll through the artists, makes me wanna pull my hair out

you can disable that quite easily

trolland10 03/17/11 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D' Evils (Post 86697401)
you can disable that quite easily

i'm know you can but no one i know does, and it really is pointless

j-dogg_69 03/17/11 03:36 PM

Quote:

I've never seen a Zune in action so I'm completely unaware of the menus and such on them, so in what way are they easier to use than an ipod, because ipod menus to me are so basic (legit quesiton I'm interested to hear the answer to - not being a cock)

anthonydarko 03/17/11 03:38 PM

About damn time.

j-dogg_69 03/17/11 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealJohnOC (Post 86695212)
I got a Philips GoGear and it still works great since I got it in 2005

I loved mine, unfortunately it broke and the store had stopped stocking them, so they gave me store credit and i got an ipod, in 2006, still works like a trooper (with new battery, 3 new headphone jacks and a new faceplate). Honestly Apple got the ipod so right IMO

Scrawns 03/17/11 03:41 PM

i still like mine. heres to hoping for a future microsoft mp3 player

The Fool 03/17/11 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris92 (Post 86696482)
Okay, I see what you're saying I believe. I think you're saying that Apple might continue to put out new versions of the iPod semi-frequently as they do now (which I am certain they will) but that they won't be as innovative, i.e. there won't be that much different about them because there is no competition?

That makes sense, but the only problem is that that argument is based upon the premise that the Zune was in fact a legitimate competitor, which quite frankly it wasn't.

In that chart Zune isn't even the #1 competitor to the iPod. That chart is from 2007, but the article states that last year iPod had 77% of the digital media player market, so the Zune HD obviously didn't change Apple's foothold much.

I'd say a lot has changed since January 2007. Zune has since been integrated into the XBOX360 and all smart phones that operate on Windows Phone 7 -- both of which greatly expanded the reach of the Zune Marketplace. Also, the Zune launched in November 2006, so achieving 3.2% of the total digital music sales after less than three months is pretty remarkable.

trolland10 03/17/11 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j-dogg_69 (Post 86697621)
I've never seen a Zune in action so I'm completely unaware of the menus and such on them, so in what way are they easier to use than an ipod, because ipod menus to me are so basic (legit quesiton I'm interested to hear the answer to - not being a cock)

to me, it really boils down yo your opinion and i'm pretty biased since i've been using zune since 2007, but for one the software is much more lightweight and easier to use than itunes, and they have had the zune pass, which is unlimited downloads for 15 dollars a month something the apple still doesn't have. and the player itself, even though the 160gigs/the first players are like bricks, you were able to send music from your zune to another one, and imo i liked how they layed out the menus more than on the ipod. it was more visual and easier for me to use, but to each his own really, since an ipod isn't complicated either. the only thing i hate about apple is the itunes program honestly

Here It Goes 03/17/11 03:43 PM

Quote:

...You're not serious about the clicking noise are you?

kidinthebushes 03/17/11 03:46 PM

Still rocking my CD player.

The Fool 03/17/11 03:47 PM

Additionally, according to this source the Zune is not quite dead. It claims that the hardware released for 2010/2011 was not a standalone player as in previous years, but it was actually the WP7 series. And the possibility of future releases have neither been confirmed nor denied officially by Microsoft. It's kind of jumping the gun a bit to say the Zune is dead.