AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Thursday - No Devolución (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2233052)

Drew Beringer 03/28/11 10:08 AM

Thursday - No Devolución

ThursdayNo Devolución
Release Date: April 12, 2011
Record Label: Epitaph

Honestly, we all should have seen this coming from Thursday. They've been dropping hints of a more atmospheric and textured sound in their records over the past five years (A City By The Light Divided, their split EP with Envy, and Common Existence). So anyone who is saying that their new album, No Devolución, is a new beginning or rebirth just hasn't been paying attention. The common Thursday traits are still present: Geoff Rickly's not-perfect-yet-so-perfect croon, distorted guitars, thick instrumentation, and, of course, Rickly's poignant lyrics. What's different is that No Devolución isn't as abrasive as Thursday albums past, rather it's soaked in luscious, experimental tones and dark melodies.

The band has never sounded this synchronized as a unit, as each song is the perfect blend of atmospherics and vocals, which can be attributed to the sextet's relationship with prodcuer Dave Fridmann, now three albums deep. With this kind of trust between band and producer, it's no surprise that this is their most dynamic album. Take for example the opening track, “Fast To The End,” a huge track that is undeniably Thursday yet you immediately notice a tone that is undeniably not Thursday, as this track balances both aspects to ease listeners in. What follows is arguably the best track on No Devolución, the luscious, synth-led “No Answers.” The beautiful layered walls of noise created by keyboardist Andrew Everding (this track is the beginning of his coming out party) and clean, chiming guitar work from Tom Keeley and Steve Pedulla swell up to create the pinnacle of the track, only to come crashing down to the gentle outro that Rickly hauntingly croons over.

“A Darker Forest” is aptly named, as the dark tone of Tim Payne's bass lines pace the somber track while buzzing guitars and the snare-heavy drumming (courtesy of the ever-improving Tucker Rule, who solidifies himself as one of the top drummers in music with this album) build up the tension of the song – a song that was most likely conceived from their split EP with Envy. Lyrically, Rickly is at the top of his game, as he's never been this personal before (hard to believe, I know). Join in on the heartache slowly sung on the bleak “Empty Glass,” carried by sparse instrumentation that creates a ghostly backdrop to the painful narration of love lost. “Empty Glass” isn't only the quietest track Thursday has ever done, but also its most brutal. Or find yourself deeply enthralled by the catharsis of the invigorating “Sparks Against The Sun,” which features a buoyant chorus that is unlike anything in the band's discography.

The band still fits in some of that classic Thursday sound while remaining true to the overall tone of No Devolución. The frantic “Open Quotes” begins with distorted guitars and Rickly's howl, yet closes in massive fashion, while “Past and Future Ruins” features a slow, melodic intro paced by Rule and Rickly until all hell breaks loose in the chorus, as the band's abrasive nature finally flexes its muscles. It's a perfect blend of the band's heaviness and melody, as the track culminates in a fashion that will leave you buzzing. “Magnets Caught in a Metal Heart” channels the Deftones at their melodic best (and ending in a magnificent swirl of pulsating guitar work and delectable keys), while “A Gun in the First Act” opens with an accordion but fills out nicely as a persistent industrial rocker.

Per usual, Rickly and company save their best for last, this time in the form of eight minute closer, “Stay True.” The rich track serves as an open letter to anyone struggling to do things the right way. It's uplifting, tender, and moving, ending in a noisy whirlwind of humming guitar riffs, Rickly's passionate scream, and all sorts of post-rock atmospherics.

For the Jersey sextet, it's never been about making money or pleasing other people. Thursday has always been about pushing their musical and creative limits, and on No Devolución, they not only achieve that but exceed that, as they've created the best and most rewarding album of their illustrious career. What makes this album so sensational is that none of it sounds forced – the keys, the clean guitars, and all the dreamy soundscapes are the natural progression for a band like Thursday. Sure, older fans will be disappointed that this isn't a retread of Full Collapse, but for those of us who have grown up, this is the definitive Thursday album – their greatest musical accomplishment. No Devolución is inventive, remarkable, and the first true masterpiece of 2011.

9.5/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Fast to the End
2. No Answers
3. A Darker Forest
4. Sparks Against the Sunday
5. Open Quotes
6. Past and Future Ruins
7. Magnets Caught in a Metal Heart
8. Empty Glass
9. A Gun in the First Act
10. Millimeter
11. Turnpike Divides
12. Stay True
Produced by: Dave Fridmann

Thursday is:
Andrew Everding – keyboards
Tom Keeley – guitar
Tim Payne – bass
Steve Pedulla – guitar
Geoff Rickly – vocals
Tucker Rule – drums

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

tickytacky 03/28/11 10:18 AM

Drew!! SO excited for this.

valoo 03/28/11 10:22 AM

2nd

mycuban 03/28/11 10:23 AM

I shouldn't have read this, cause i'm DYING to hear this.

tkxxx7 03/28/11 10:26 AM

can someone explain the troll member ratings?

Anton Djamoos 03/28/11 10:26 AM

And yet my biggest question is why Tim isn't in this promo picture:

schaft 03/28/11 10:27 AM

Excellent review. Really stoked for this album.

mycuban 03/28/11 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Djamoos (Post 87215112)
And yet my biggest question is why Tim isn't in this promo picture:

Geoff addressed that in an interview i think, he said they were on tour when it was taken, so he wasn't with them because he's a father and stays home with his kids.

I am Mick 03/28/11 10:29 AM

So fucking excited for this record. Great review. Really hope the production doesn't take me out of it like it did on their last two

Drew Beringer 03/28/11 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am Mick (Post 87215262)
So fucking excited for this record. Great review. Really hope the production doesn't take me out of it like it did on their last two

the production is fantastic, sometimes Geoff is hard to hear but that's because they were going to for that vibe on that track. The production really brings out how rich musically this album is. It's encompassing.

Anton Djamoos 03/28/11 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycuban (Post 87215222)
Geoff addressed that in an interview i think, he said they were on tour when it was taken, so he wasn't with them because he's a father and stays home with his kids.

Fair enough! Can't wait to finally hear this.

I am Mick 03/28/11 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 87215391)
the production is fantastic, sometimes Geoff is hard to hear but that's because they were going to for that vibe on that track. The production really brings out how rich musically this album is. It's encompassing.

I can see it working a lot more for a record as atmospheric as this, but the muddyness really didn't work for me on their last two. I'm stoked though, sounds like it's gona be pretty special

Drew Beringer 03/28/11 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am Mick (Post 87215532)
I can see it working a lot more for a record as atmospheric as this, but the muddyness really didn't work for me on their last two. I'm stoked though, sounds like it's gona be pretty special

I think they found the perfect balance this time.

WhoSaidThat? 03/28/11 10:53 AM

Wonder how much longer until the "too high" crowd makes its way.

Dr. Acula 03/28/11 11:00 AM

Not hearing this record is killing me...can't wait much longer!

TSLROCKS 03/28/11 11:05 AM

Can't freaking wait for this album! Been avoiding listening to any songs off the album until I can hear the full thing. This is gonna be such a fantastic month for music. Looking forward to it

SteveLikesMusic 03/28/11 11:06 AM

I have the weirdest boner right now.

Drew Beringer 03/28/11 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveLikesMusic (Post 87217092)
I have the weirdest boner right now.

haha

war_allthetime 03/28/11 11:17 AM

This record needs to leak yesterday omfg waiting is fucking killing me

(don't worry I'll still buy the album the second it comes out)

Kav 03/28/11 11:48 AM

Can't wait

Thomas Nassiff 03/28/11 12:04 PM

This review, for some reason, reminds me of the Sufjan Stevens review you wrote last year haha. Not the biggest fan of this band but I'll definitely check out this release....and I know scores are just scores but a 10 for musicianship definitely counts for something, I think.

RockVocalPower 03/28/11 12:31 PM

Really great album. Probably their best.

steven31 03/28/11 12:38 PM

Wow!! I am sooooo excited for this!!

Ryan Gardner 03/28/11 12:42 PM

Great review, Drew. Stoked

TachyonEvan 03/28/11 12:59 PM

Hyperbolic score, but what the fuck do numbers mean, anyway? Excited to listen to this.

Rynaldo 03/28/11 01:02 PM

bi winning review, cant wait to hear it

HeavenResign 03/28/11 01:14 PM

So glad I got the deluxe version of this. But I can't wait until April 12. I NEED THIS NOW.

Also, great review. I think this record will show off Dave Fridmann's production. The atmospheric elements really compliment his style, I think Common Existence would've been better off with whoever produced the Envy split.

kemichels 03/28/11 01:16 PM

Well, this has me considerably more excited than I was..

alert=danger 03/28/11 01:20 PM

Very excited to hear this. Should be a good album.

However 98% seems very high. The review scores on this site seem to be sky rocketing...

nowFace 03/28/11 01:20 PM

This needs to come out...NOW!

SourStuff 03/28/11 01:21 PM

Need to hear this so bad... Who cares if it's not Full Collapse? Everything Thursday's done, imao, has been amazing! This should be the best of them all.

PetitnaindesÎles 03/28/11 01:24 PM

98% ? I was disappointed by Common Existence but now i'm more excited than ever to hear this new album.

Castle Builders 03/28/11 01:33 PM

I made a promise to myself not to download any leaks of this album. I will buy it when releases and listen to it in my bed with headphones while staring at the ceiling. I have already been listening to No Answers, Past and Future Ruins, and Magnets Caught in a Metal Heart on repeat and already feel justified to say this is the best album I haveeverheard. I can't wait to see the reaction on all the doubters faces who wrote this band off as some 'screamo' band.

Sheluligans 03/28/11 01:39 PM

So stoked for this. I need to preorder this pronto.

DylanPPPP 03/28/11 01:39 PM

April 12th cannot come sooner. Damn you and your hype, Drew!

Corey Hoffy 03/28/11 01:44 PM

I've never liked Thursday all that much, but you've never let me down Drew. I'll give it an enthusiastic listen.

hardpill 03/28/11 01:47 PM

Thursday has been a front-runner for favorite band ever since I randomly picked up Waiting in a Hot Topic. It's very re-affirming that they've lasted it out so long and are still putting out quality releases. It also reminds me that there is no excuse for half the crap that finds its way to my ears other than a lack of talent and imagination

RX XR 03/28/11 01:54 PM

98%?!?!?!?!? Straight hyping this record right now, hopefully it lives up to that score!!!

StartAngry&Mad 03/28/11 01:56 PM

So glad to have pre-ordered the vinyl! -- even if I won't be home to pick it up for another 5 months.

I don't know whether my tastes have leaned more towards post-rock and its great that Thursday has evolved in that direction, or if my taste has evolved because of Thursday? Either way, I couldn't be more excited to hear the album, it's always great to hear Thursday hype and hear so many people anxious for a new release from them.

runningohfive 03/28/11 02:38 PM

Thursday has never disappointed me. I'm very excited to hear this.

Adam Pfleider 03/28/11 03:04 PM

"Empty Glass" gives me shivers...nice work Drew!

dogsizedbirdIII 03/28/11 03:07 PM

Glad they stuck with Fridmann on this album, their last two have been my favorites of their career. So excited to hear them go in a more experimental direction with this one, the three songs I've heard have all been awesome.

alice+interiors 03/28/11 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoSaidThat? (Post 87216492)
Wonder how much longer until the "too high" crowd makes its way.

You act like pre-empting it makes it wrong. In all likelihood, it probably will be too high.

circletheworld 03/28/11 03:25 PM

wow.. can't wait for mine to come in the mail

kidinthebushes 03/28/11 03:28 PM

Wow. I might have to check this album out.

ricky denim 03/28/11 03:31 PM

Man the wait for this is KLLING ME!!

COREhorizon 03/28/11 03:34 PM

The comment apocalypse is about to begin...

CoopDawg 03/28/11 03:36 PM

I haven't cared too much for Thursday for awhile but after reading your review, I am definitely gonna have to check out the album.

Spartan789013 03/28/11 03:50 PM

I need to hear this now. Holy fuck.

dhelmick 03/28/11 04:02 PM

I got to hear a few songs while at their Philly show. It is very different from everything they have done before this record but it is still very good. Stay excited but don't expect anything and you will love it.