AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2253772)

Ryan3985 04/13/11 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetterBomb31 (Post 88000021)
I don't know if I'll pick this album up or not. I feel like this band are just going in circles.

their running circles around everyone else, if thats what you meant. crazy good album, check it out.

W/O a Parachute 04/13/11 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Nassiff (Post 87999921)
Thank you! I hope my reviews don't come across as formulaic.

No, not really. It's difficult to write reviews on a consistent basis. Some writers on this site turn out 3 or 4 at a time, and it's tough to write in a unique rhythm that properly conveys the feeling of an album. You do a pretty good job. The Mogwai review (Hardcore Will Never Die...) especially. Very, very good. Keep up the good work, it keeps me coming back to this site. And Thanks.

Thomas Nassiff 04/13/11 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W/O a Parachute (Post 88000182)
No, not really. It's difficult to write reviews on a consistent basis. Some writers on this site turn out 3 or 4 at a time, and it's tough to write in a unique rhythm that properly conveys the feeling of an album. You do a pretty good job. The Mogwai review (Hardcore Will Never Die...) especially. Very, very good. Keep up the good work, it keeps me coming back to this site. And Thanks.

That's awesome to hear. One thing that review and this review had in common is that after I wrote them, I didn't know whether to punish them because I thought they were over-the-top. I guess that might be a good feeling to have in a review then. But I agree...when I put up a handful of reviews at a time they do seem to fall into a sort of rhythm.

InfiniteArms 04/13/11 01:58 AM

Quote:

In fact, I have no problem making this statement early on: the Foo Fighters haven't written a record as good as Wasting Light in over a decade. This is the band's best work since The Colour and the Shape.

I disagree, One By One is a great record. Wasting Light is a great record. I do agree, its better than previous work but I wouldn't say over a decade, I'd say in under a decade, so you can factor in One By One.

Memphis 04/13/11 02:21 AM

Album is amazing, not perfect but damn, listening to it feels so refreshing...

Btw, I'm really pleased with how some of this year's hard rock albums turned out - Rise Against, Funeral for a Friend, Foo Fighters, they're all amazing

JuneJuly 04/13/11 03:15 AM

my roommate loves these guys, he's more into this kind of music than I am (and by that I mean billboard type stuff) but what I heard I liked. Always enjoyed what I heard from Foo Fighters even though I haven't listened to them much. He said there was a "screamo" track on the record, I lol'd a little bit (PS: is there?).

Maxwell 04/13/11 03:37 AM

Really enjoyed this review. Love this album a lot more than i thought i would, solid band, solid album.

Charlesieiy 04/13/11 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuneJuly (Post 88001182)
my roommate loves these guys, he's more into this kind of music than I am (and by that I mean billboard type stuff) but what I heard I liked. Always enjoyed what I heard from Foo Fighters even though I haven't listened to them much. He said there was a "screamo" track on the record, I lol'd a little bit (PS: is there?).

Yeah there is, it's called White Limo. Check it.

Great album, great review! Disagree aboout I Should Have Known though, it's a pretty great song.

CoopDawg 04/13/11 04:19 AM

Great review! I am not sure which I am gonna like more: this or the new Incubus record!

thepianominstre 04/13/11 04:41 AM

Never listened to these guys (don't listen to much "rock and roll" period I guess) but a friend I respect really likes them so I listened to that stream that came out a couple weeks ago and I was pretty impressed. Made me want to play Rock Band. They're definitely fightin' foo...

XenoAbe 04/13/11 04:48 AM

Love the RIYL.

tht1guyb 04/13/11 05:03 AM

I will also follow suit and give you a standing "O" on that last paragraph... well said sir

and yes, this album is fan-freaking-tastic

cubsml34 04/13/11 05:04 AM

Great review, I don't think anything can top TCATS, (although the acoustic side of In Your Honor is pretty great too), but this comes pretty damn close. Bridge Burning is such an ass kicker I couldn't stop smiling on my first listen.

Sparky_89 04/13/11 05:20 AM

Your reviews are very readable and well written - I'll often read them even if I'm unfamiliar with who's being reviewed. Often forget how good this band actually are, but have been inspired to give this a listen - after a spin of CATS of course :)

laxcrs 04/13/11 05:28 AM

fucking love the riyl, review and this cd