AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Band Marino - The Sea & The Beast (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=227951)

Russ Hockenbury 04/08/07 04:07 PM

Band Marino - The Sea & The Beast

Band MarinoThe Sea & The Beast
Label: Unsigned
Release Date: December 2, 2006

There are some bands that just have it. Having already been declared among the 25 Best Bands On MySpace by Rolling Stone last December, Orlando, Florida’s Band Marino is one of them. The five-piece bring their brand of old-timey folk into the indie music scene with their debut album, The Sea & The Beast. Acknowledging past accolades and considering the band themselves are more likely to be found listening to story-driven genres like bluegrass and gypsy jazz than the sound of their peers, it should be of little surprise that this The Sea & The Beast is a sensational journey full of whimsy and woe befitting any good vagabond tale.

Amongst the highlights, “Chasing Rainbows” starts out with a plucky mandolin strum similar to that of the old Horatio Sanz SNL sketches where Sanz would invariably sway back and forth, smiling and singing inane songs about whatever holiday was on the horizon. While it’s hard not to picture the portly actor swiveling over that playful rhythm, Nathan Bond and crew manage to take the song to a musical landscape somewhere between the stars of yesteryear and The Format before it finally explodes into an old-fashioned hootnanny toward the end. Bond’s voice is enchanting and has the kind of universal appeal rarely seen in today’s underground music scene. His ability to remain playful while keeping the bittersweet tone of the rambling tale, “Everytime I Make A Girl Cry, I Know I’ve Done My Job” makes it one of the disc’s most memorable. There’s a lot going on in the background of the aforementioned tracks and it’s here that Band Marino are at their best.

It’s only on slow, stripped starters like “Song For A Melody” and “Dear Balladeer” that Band Marino misfires, and both eventually become the compositions they needed to be. Still, Bond’s tone will undoubtedly make him a star and Band Marino, with their rootsy, orchestral arrangements, will ascend to the heavens with him. It all adds up to The Sea & The Beast being one of the best debut albums in recent memory.

Campfire songs: “Arlee Hayes”, “Everytime I Make A Girl Cry, I Know I’ve Done My Job”

Putting the “O” in Orchestral: The Format, The Never, Murder By Death

mewithoutyoux 04/08/07 06:14 PM

This band is finally making it big. I love them. Great guys and amazing musicians. Definitely something new. My band recorded with the same producer as this album (Jared Wynne (He did Look Mexico as well)) and he does amazing work. If you get a chance to see them/buy their album, don't pass it up.

Tom Good 04/08/07 08:15 PM

Best band name ever?

wordsnowheard 04/09/07 11:44 AM

Travis Adams and Dave Pierce (both from the amazing band Inkwell from here in O-town) were actually the boys who produced the album for the boys in band marino. Jared did some post-pro stuff for them but wasnt the main producer...

This band is phenom! and Jesse is too cute..... especially when printing here at merchspin!

ohhh ya the singers name is actually James Nathan Bond not Dan bond, but dont let the boys names get in the way of there unforgettable amazing tunes!

Rock it....

Russ Hockenbury 04/09/07 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wordsnowheard (Post 6202324)
Travis Adams and Dave Pierce (both from the amazing band Inkwell from here in O-town) were actually the boys who produced the album for the boys in band marino. Jared did some post-pro stuff for them but wasnt the main producer...

This band is phenom! and Jesse is too cute..... especially when printing here at merchspin!

ohhh ya the singers name is actually James Nathan Bond not Dan bond, but dont let the boys names get in the way of there unforgettable amazing tunes!

Rock it....

Damn, I knew the Dan Marino thing would trip me up somewhere. Fixed it.

TyroneShoolaces 04/09/07 03:29 PM

yea, i got into this band when AP.net posted the article about the best 25 bands on myspace.

they really remind me of Two Gallants.

tm decomposer 04/09/07 08:05 PM

Yeah, I'm putting this back on my ipod.

MikeJCotugno 04/09/07 08:38 PM

This band needs to get really big, really fast. I don't understand why they aren't huge indie stars yet. Great sound and really young guys. And not only is Jesse cute, he's the nicest guy ever.

TheJon 04/10/07 09:14 AM

Band Marino is fantastic.

But this review made me want to punch myself in the face. You packed pretty much every single record review cliche I can think of into just 3 paragraphs. So Journalism 101.

Try toning it down & actually describing the music in a less abstract way. There is something to be said for practical communication. And restraint. And taste.

Less obscure adjectives. Less referencing the aforementioned (though I'll admit, I'm often guilty of that one).

Russ Hockenbury 04/10/07 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJon (Post 6211889)

I agree.

bankrom 04/10/07 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Good (Post 6199527)
Best band name ever?

i'd put it a close second behind gnarls barkley

Steve Henderson 04/10/07 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJon (Post 6211889)

But this review made me want to punch myself in the face. You packed pretty much every single record review cliche I can think of into just 3 paragraphs. So Journalism 101.

Try toning it down & actually describing the music in a less abstract way. There is something to be said for practical communication. And restraint. And taste.

Less obscure adjectives. Less referencing the aforementioned (though I'll admit, I'm often guilty of that one).

First of all, when you want to criticize someone's work, try not to be an enormous dick about it. Now that we are past that, let's address some other issues.

1) Every record review cliche? Huh? It makes absolutely no sense that you would say this for two reasons. First, I combed through the review, and fail to see what the hell you are talking about. And two, how can you call someone cliched while at the same time calling them overly abstract or obtuse? It makes no sense. It's adorable that you prefer journalistic conformity versus style. I find Russ's writing to be low on restraint, but extremely stylistic, which is a more than agreeable tradeoff to me - especially when so many of us write the same nowadays.

2) Don't criticize someone on something you do yourself. It's called calling the kettle black, and it makes you a hypocrite. In addition to the aforementioned being a dick. I would comment on your excessive use of sentence fragments (both in your post and your shitty blog), but I will work harder to avoid the same pitfalls as your highness.

So thanks for stopping by. If you want to proceed to carry out that self-punch to the face, I more than support it.

s.t.e.v.e.n. 04/10/07 10:19 AM

i had the chance to see band marino
amazing

wordsnowheard 04/10/07 11:00 AM

I thought this was a great review about an even greater band... so Russ.... good job, and thank you for shedding some light on a band from orlando who definatley deserves to be heard!

TheJon 04/10/07 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Henderson (Post 6212138)
First of all, when you want to criticize someone's work, try not to be an enormous dick about it. Now that we are past that, let's address some other issues.

1) Every record review cliche? Huh? It makes absolutely no sense that you would say this for two reasons. First, I combed through the review, and fail to see what the hell you are talking about. And two, how can you call someone cliched while at the same time calling them overly abstract or obtuse? It makes no sense. It's adorable that you prefer journalistic conformity versus style. I find Russ's writing to be low on restraint, but extremely stylistic, which is a more than agreeable tradeoff to me - especially when so many of us write the same nowadays.

2) Don't criticize someone on something you do yourself. It's called calling the kettle black, and it makes you a hypocrite. In addition to the aforementioned being a dick. I would comment on your excessive use of sentence fragments (both in your post and your shitty blog), but I will work harder to avoid the same pitfalls as your highness.

So thanks for stopping by. If you want to proceed to carry out that self-punch to the face, I more than support it.

You guys really are a family. I love it.

There's a difference between commenting & blogging & publishing a semi-formal review. I know that you realize this. And I know you were just taking a cheap shot at me. I just want you to know that most other people probably think you're silly for making the comparison.

I also want you to know that abstract writing and cliches aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, the more abstract you go the more likely you are to run into cliches. "Your love is like bad medicine." Abstract. Cliche. Pink is the new black. Abstract. Cliche. It comes back to the fact that it's difficult to communicate abstract ideas & so you end trying to word things in ways that are familiar to the reader.

Also, I didn't use the word obtuse in my post. In fact, I've never used that word without referencing numbers. The fact that you added it on (word of the day: superfluous - serving no useful purpose) shows that you're out to impress everyone, too. Oh, you're also a record reviewer. Sometimes the pieces just fall together...

I'm a dick. I won't argue with you on that. But Russ could improve his reviewing by not trying to impress everyone with fancy words & bad cliches.