AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  AP.net (LOST) Interview: Touche Amore / La Dispute (Part One) (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2289581)

Adam Pfleider 05/13/11 01:15 PM

AP.net (LOST) Interview: Touche Amore / La Dispute (Part One)

Last year I dropped the ball on releasing an interview I had with Jeremy Bolm (Touche Amore) and Jordan Dreyer (La Dispute) discussing and questioning each other about their bands' work on last year's split, Searching For a Pulse/Worth of the World. You can now read the first half of the interview here and head to the replies to read a few follow-up questions from Bolm about the upcoming release of Touche Amore's Parting the Sea Between the Brightness and Me. Check back soon for the second half and a follow-up from Dreyer about the upcoming La Dispute album.

Adam Pfleider 05/13/11 01:15 PM

Coming off the tracks for the splits with La Dispute and Make Do and Mend, what was the mentality to take that in the studio for this second full-length?

The songs that we wrote for those splits came very fast, almost as if we needed to purge out new material from being built up for so long due to touring. When it came to writing this new record we took a strong work ethic to create the very best record we were capable of. We had time to try new things and explore a lot more than we ever had. There were about 3 songs written before we went out with Envy that we demoed and the rest all came after our European tour. The whole record took about two months to write. We pushed ourselves very hard and I can speak for all of us when I say we couldn't be more proud of it.

What are some of the particular themes we'll see running through Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me?

There are a lot of reoccurring feelings through out the entire record. When ...to the beat of a dead horse was written, we hadn't done much touring yet. When that record was being recorded we didn't even know if we were going to continue as a band very long. So, it was raw and angry for a lot of reasons. Much more angst. This record is much more focused, especially lyrically. Many of the songs are about pin pointing what some of my struggles might be and then trying to find comfort within myself. Admitting that there is something bigger than me going on inside. Knowing there is a long road between depression and happiness. The road is literal for the record. It's about being away and having relationships disintegrate. It's about realization overall.

You guys and La Dispute have been close friends and are two bands that some would see at the forefront of this new cycle of great bands. With both your new albums coming out this year in high anticipation, what's kind of going through your head at the moment?

That's a flattering thing to say. I'd like to think we're both just bands that may have a different approach to things than others. I know neither of us would want to be credited as pioneers, that's far too much to live up to. Plus, we have our influences that will always be far more credible than us. But whats going through our heads overall just excitement for it to be available. We've been wanting this thing in everyone's hands as soon as it was done.

What do you hope kids just getting into the hardcore scene at the moment take away from it, whether it be their first house show or first album in their personal archive? Is it the music, or more about the attitude and the community?

In a perfect world I would say "a welcoming community where you can feel a sense of belonging amongst people you can relate to". But unfortunately this world is far more catty than that. It can be a real drag. Even though you'd think we'd all know better by now (especially in a "punk" atmosphere) that things like sexism, bigotry, and homophobia wouldn't exist. But it does and they do. So, the best I can do is hope that this new kid finds the right bands to be passionate about and doesn't fall victim to ignorance. Punk and hardcore can be a life changing/positive thing if introduced properly. Getting your face punched in and hearing hateful slurs on stage would make me turn away if that's the world I was walking into for the first time. I'm not saying bands need to be positive. We're as pessimistic of a band as you can get. But if your listener hears a song that hits close to home for him, that potentially can save him. Finding out you're not alone is the most positive feeling you can give someone. That's what brought me into this world. There is a passion in this typically angry music that you can't find anywhere else. Fingers crossed it's used properly. To anyone new to this world; learn the words, sing a long, and jump off something. But do all those things for you, and not anyone else.

Spartan789013 05/13/11 01:31 PM

Both of these bands are fucking incredible.

prettyLUSH16 05/13/11 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan789013 (Post 89439862)

agreed.

incognitojones 05/13/11 01:53 PM

Quote:

Nailed it.

Holly HoX! 05/13/11 02:11 PM

Haha interesting interview. That wasn't hard was it, adam?

tottivillarossi 05/13/11 02:22 PM

I love the final answer.

awakeohsleeper 05/13/11 02:38 PM

Why on earth was this dropped?!! (Edit: misread, sorry!)

Brilliant bands.

Adam Pfleider 05/13/11 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 89441481)
Haha interesting interview. That wasn't hard was it, adam?

wait, what do you mean?

tonethehero 05/13/11 03:51 PM

Quote:

This so Fucking much.

GrantM34 05/13/11 03:57 PM

Just been starting to get into both these bands oover the past month or so! So different to what I'd normally go for but they're brilliant!

I want them to play in my house!! :)

Holly HoX! 05/13/11 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Pfleider (Post 89445531)
wait, what do you mean?

Ha, I just mean how the interview was conducted - you just got to listen to them talk to each other. It's cool.

Adam Pfleider 05/13/11 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 89446082)
Ha, I just mean how the interview was conducted - you just got to listen to them talk to each other. It's cool.

oh, haha. it was actually pretty funny. I like interviewing with new techniques and approaches. i mean, the only reason I like doing interviews is because I have a natural tendency and love of talking about music. that's why I steer clear of dumb questions, and keep them broad enough to let the interview lead itself.

HeavenResign 05/13/11 09:55 PM

This interview was amazing. Thanks a bunch for posting it, Adam.

prettyLUSH16 05/14/11 04:45 PM

Need...new la dispute album....now.