AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Circa Survive - On Letting Go (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=240519)

fobfan2 05/29/07 07:20 PM

after this review and the recent interview with them on AP.net, i am most definitely going out to buy this cd. and their last one (because i've been too lazy to go buy it.) they seem like such awesome dudes and definitely a band i want to support.

hxchairstylist 05/29/07 09:32 PM

I've gone to 3 stores in seattle and its not there. none of the stores even got their shipments.

guitarnick20 05/29/07 10:29 PM

I don't believe Anthony dominates the high end at all, I think he strains real hard to hit any notes up there and sounds way better in his mid range. The midrange singing on this album is great, the high end sounds like screaming or yelling, not singing, which is unfortunate cause we have yet to see whether or not he can do this without screaming the notes.

The album does get better, give it a few listens, they're just not where I wanted them to be.

Steve Henderson 05/29/07 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarnick20 (Post 6649249)
I don't believe Anthony dominates the high end at all, I think he strains real hard to hit any notes up there and sounds way better in his mid range. The midrange singing on this album is great, the high end sounds like screaming or yelling, not singing, which is unfortunate cause we have yet to see whether or not he can do this without screaming the notes.

The album does get better, give it a few listens, they're just not where I wanted them to be.

I think his high end strain is entirely intentional as an expression of passion and emotion.

Gumbyjag 05/29/07 11:07 PM

Quote:

they are a little too off-kilter to be rated much higher (in my opinion), but they are still strong.

i agree very much. his lyrics always make you think and wonder what the hell he is referring to.

Quote:

So now you jags can maybe get off of the Cove Reber 10 score in vocals.

the 10 was well-deserved. Cove owned Saosin (the album).

lilRIPsta 05/29/07 11:26 PM

Steve I just wanna say ur my favorite member of the Ap.net staff and i respect u for sticking on here and talking to everyone who rates ur reviews

Steve Henderson 05/29/07 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilRIPsta (Post 6649685)
Steve I just wanna say ur my favorite member of the Ap.net staff and i respect u for sticking on here and talking to everyone who rates ur reviews

Awesome dude...it's just what I like to do! :beerbros:

DaGaR 05/30/07 01:24 AM

i love cove cuz he's mormon.

cjmenard 05/30/07 11:39 AM

I think this review was dead on. I was just telling my wife last night that I thought this album was better than the first in that it feels like they've grown as musicians. Not to use the cliche term of "matured," but more like it seems that they've actually learned to play their instruments better than before. I think that this album, like Juturna, is probably one best listened to on headphones so the listener can pick up on all the subtle things they do that might not be noticed otherwise.

I'm not going to defend them on a message board though. People have their opinions on everything, and a positive review isn't going to change that. If it really bothers you so much, go write your own review instead of telling Steve what you would've done.

volatile_sun 05/30/07 12:23 PM

just like what anthony said in the interview, "You can’t really please everybody."

anyway i'm loving your stuff, steve. keep it up!

SweetThye 05/30/07 02:19 PM

The Difference Between Medicine and Poison Is In The Dose is hands down the best song on the album. I really like the cd as a whole. Great music. I know a lot of people find Green's voice to be whiny and annoying. I happen to find it very unique. Sullivan can get even more whiny sometimes. I'm looking forward to their new album, sounds a lot better than Hey, I'm a Ghost.

TxRepresent 05/30/07 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Henderson (Post 6638762)
So if Anthony Green does not deserve a 10 for vocals, who does?

Anthony and Dallas Green for sure.

guitarnick20 05/30/07 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Henderson (Post 6649323)
I think his high end strain is entirely intentional as an expression of passion and emotion.

Well I look at singers like Jeff Buckley who sang parts that high without sounding like they're singing through their throats and still sound extremely emotional without the straining sound. Anthony sounds like he's singing from his throat the whole album, very bad technique and I don't see that as emotional, I see that as not knowing how to sing and needing to strain because it's the only way you can hit the notes.

Steve Henderson 05/30/07 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarnick20 (Post 6657041)
Well I look at singers like Jeff Buckley who sang parts that high without sounding like they're singing through their throats and still sound extremely emotional without the straining sound. Anthony sounds like he's singing from his throat the whole album, very bad technique and I don't see that as emotional, I see that as not knowing how to sing and needing to strain because it's the only way you can hit the notes.

See, I would argue that is a useless comparison of two different singers with two different styles. I am pretty sure that he could sing differently, but chooses not to.

guitarnick20 05/30/07 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Henderson (Post 6658567)
See, I would argue that is a useless comparison of two different singers with two different styles. I am pretty sure that he could sing differently, but chooses not to.

If he can sing differently then he should show it, cause everything he does sounds like this when he sings that high. It sounds uncontrolled and unrefined. Either way though, I like the album, so I'd say we can agree to disagree, I would love to continue this over aim or something though you can im me at my username with a y after the k in nick. that's all.