AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Circa Survive - On Letting Go (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=240519)

dildonicsboy 05/28/07 01:33 PM

Well-written review, it points out much of what I felt with this album, except my rating would be about a 5. Yes it has its moments, but I just don't see my self listening to this album in a month. Juturna was great (I listened to it yesterday and still love it), but this album seems to be the meaning of "Deja Entendu" (sorry for a lame Brand New drop). This was by far one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me. I know this band has fanboys/girls like no other, but c'mon this band has so much more potential. They might as well do what Streetlight Manifesto did to Keasbey Nights if they are thinking of releasing another album that is almost identical.

Praetor 05/28/07 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobby (Post 6633297)
90% for Juturna redux? lol. I thought reviews were supposed to be fair and unbiased?

You're an idiot. By definition, no opinion can be unbiased.

This was pretty much an amazing review, Steve. Props.

eclipsegts1 05/28/07 01:37 PM

I can't wait for the new album, I'm actually waiting to hear it compared to other albums I didn't wait to listen for.

theDrivingSnow 05/28/07 01:43 PM

Circa Survive sounds nothing like The Mars Volta. And I agree that "Living Together" is the best song on the album.

TheCrazyFox22 05/28/07 01:44 PM

Extremely well written review, but the end made me feel that the writer felt his opinion was absolute ("if you don't find something new with every spin, you aren't listening hard enough"). Kinda icky.

Praetor 05/28/07 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theDrivingSnow (Post 6633594)
Circa Survive sounds nothing like The Mars Volta. And I agree that "Living Together" is the best song on the album.

I think he meant that it sounded like TMV in the experimentation respect, not necessarily the overall sound.

Steve Henderson 05/28/07 01:46 PM

Quote:

Never said they did. Said "Recommended if you like." Big difference amigo.

Steve Henderson 05/28/07 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCrazyFox22 (Post 6633599)
Extremely well written review, but the end made me feel that the writer felt his opinion was absolute ("if you don't find something new with every spin, you aren't listening hard enough"). Kinda icky.

Hehe, didn't mean to sound like that. I'll try to be less "icky" next time :-)

lauren<3s music 05/28/07 02:02 PM

great review and awesome cd. the more you listen to it the more it grows

snowtires 05/28/07 02:05 PM

Quote:

they do if you like albums with dudes noodling on guitar for 80 minutes

butt_code 05/28/07 02:05 PM

awesome review steve. ohh and nice closing sentence "All in all, when the record is finished, it sounds like Circa Survive picked just the right time to let go." nice job A+++++

ship of fools 05/28/07 02:16 PM

every cicrca survive song sounds exactly the same, old or new album

Steve Henderson 05/28/07 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ship of fools (Post 6633817)
every cicrca survive song sounds exactly the same, old or new album

Not even close.

Poochemist 05/28/07 02:22 PM

I'm surprised about the 10 for vocals. I know Green is good, but probably not better than his instrumental counterparts in the band. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out for sure.

Steve Henderson 05/28/07 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochemist (Post 6633872)
I'm surprised about the 10 for vocals. I know Green is good, but probably not better than his instrumental counterparts in the band. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out for sure.

For me, it is just hard to imagine anyone else signing on this record like Anthony does, and that is why I scored his vocals so high.