AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Trap Them - Darker Handcraft (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2419092)

Dre Okorley 08/29/11 09:42 PM

Trap Them - Darker Handcraft

Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
Release Date: March 1, 2011
Record Label: Prosthetic Records

Ever weeded through an oddities museum of deformed limbs, wax skulls, and loose organs submerged in over-sized mason jars of strange fluids? Before you answer that, it tells its own story of the sound grindcore band Trap Them clobbered the scene with in 2001, while encoding the irreverent attitude of Black Flag and rage mnemonics into their brains. A Prosthetic Records debut, Darker Handcraft deciphers what Leatherface turned into his special forte: it stretches skin and curdles blood like it's a walk in the park. And it's undoubtedly Trap Them's grimmest release to date.

The album is a production werewolf, arranging howls and ruthless guitar rips that equate to a Converge-lite (incidentally frontman Jake Bannon released two of their previous works on his label Deathwish) with gloomy thrash smeared in between, brought to life by the handiwork of Kurt Ballou. What magnetizes the listener can be attributed to the d-beat bloodthirst, the hungry push and pull momentum drummer Chris Maggio executes with mind-blowing precision, supplemented with Ryan McKenney and Brian Izzi spinning the dials of Swedish-influenced metallic trickery to spotlight chainsaw guitar techniques.

Opening explosion "Damage Prose" recklessly rams from various dimensions, igniting cymbal taps through a speed defying continuum from one end and technical guitar leads from the other. Geographically, the band has cemented a compositional recipe well, taking cues from their residencies by drawing out the best of Louisville's metalpocalypse and Seattle's knockout defiance. When we reach the center of the album, single "The Facts" lyrically calls to mind the Misfit's track "Where Eagles Dare" when vocalist McKenney swears: "I am that goddamn son of a bitch" as the belly to beastly rhythms and bone crushing riffs. As the album nearly comes to a close, we're lit up by the musically enchanting "Drag The Wounds Eternal", which relies on anthemic fuzz effects and a slow, hollow dirge-like atmosphere to showcase McKenney's coarse output.

It's well worth admitting Trap Them embody their name bar none. Their talented musicianship signals they are out of step with their peers experimentally as grindcore architects; likewise, Darker Handcraft will trap you easily in frenetic whiplash mode.

Tracklisting1. Damage Prose
2. Slumcult & Gather
3. Every Walk A Quarantine
4. Evictionaries
5. All by the Constant Vulse
6. Sordid Earnings
7. The Facts
8. Saintpeelers
9. Manic in the Grips
10. Sovereign Through the Pines
11. Drag the Wounds Eternal
12. Scars Align

Recommended If You Like Tragedy, Cursed, Converge, screaming at the wall

Official Facebook | AP Profile

lilRIPsta 08/29/11 10:08 PM

Dre Okorley 08/29/11 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilRIPsta (Post 94123062)

I totally watched that yesterday. Hilarious.

lilRIPsta 08/29/11 10:11 PM

he totally has to pull his pants back up hahha....btw good review

ballzcore86 08/29/11 10:42 PM

seizures in barren praise was better, but good review...

Gumbyjag 08/30/11 02:14 AM

So intense, such a great album.

Gigantor 08/30/11 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballzcore86 (Post 94123922)
seizures in barren praise was better, but good review...

i agree. still a good follow-up album though. it surprised me

Spencer Control 08/30/11 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilRIPsta (Post 94123062)

Holy effin' lol.

As I said on the main page, I remember finding this band a while ago, liking it well enough, but not really following up on it. This review has rekindled my interest.

AdamChildress 08/30/11 11:42 AM

Love this band & really good review =)

keep swinging 08/30/11 01:48 PM

great heavy record

yellowhouse 08/30/11 02:19 PM

Well written review overall, just watch your diction and syntax. This was kind of confusing to read at times.

That said, I'm not interested in listening to this album at all.

Dre Okorley 08/30/11 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhouse (Post 94149132)
Well written review overall, just watch your diction and syntax. This was kind of confusing to read at times.

That said, I'm not interested in listening to this album at all.

Why aren't you interested in hearing the album?

Bobby Markos 08/30/11 04:07 PM

This album is like a more reserved take on their old material, which is definitely a good thing. It has a lot more focus. Also, the production is amazing. I heard they were pressing it on like 270 gram vinyl but I think that was just a rumor.

Jookl 08/30/11 04:59 PM

I totally like your writing style =) Nice reviews man

Dre Okorley 08/30/11 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jookl (Post 94158392)
I totally like your writing style =) Nice reviews man

Ty!

Henry Ferreira 08/30/11 06:27 PM

It's better to be great, ok? I just haven't heard a good hardcore album for ages, dude!

yellowhouse 08/31/11 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dre Okorley (Post 94150062)
Why aren't you interested in hearing the album?

This type of music just generally doesn't do it for me I guess.

Dre Okorley 08/31/11 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhouse (Post 94182532)
This type of music just generally doesn't do it for me I guess.

Gotcha. Maybe you should give it a try anyway, because it's beyond standard.

MarkusN-K 08/31/11 12:48 PM

haven't heard of them but I'm skeptical of the high score

Dre Okorley 08/31/11 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkusN-K (Post 94203512)
haven't heard of them but I'm skeptical of the high score

Not saying you're not entitled to feel that way, but if you haven't heard them yet, doesn't make sense to be skeptical of the score first. Most reviewers have rated this album in the upper percentile.

low_rising 08/31/11 08:36 PM

seriously didn't expect to see a trap them review on ap , but good review, this is definitely gonna be somewhere on my aoty list, 6 months out and i haven't even begun to get tired of it.

yellowhouse 09/01/11 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dre Okorley (Post 94189662)
Gotcha. Maybe you should give it a try anyway, because it's beyond standard.

It seems that way from your review and from what others have been saying on here. I may check it out.

Dre Okorley 09/01/11 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_rising (Post 94228592)
seriously didn't expect to see a trap them review on ap , but good review, this is definitely gonna be somewhere on my aoty list, 6 months out and i haven't even begun to get tired of it.

Agreed, they're so good. And this is one reason why I'm happy to be on staff, to write reviews of these artists.
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhouse (Post 94258852)
It seems that way from your review and from what others have been saying on here. I may check it out.

Good deal. Also, we're telepathic, we posted at the same time haha.