AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  AFI Have Broken Up (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2430982)

AbsentOfGrace 09/08/11 10:53 AM

Whoah. That seemed out of nowhere. Thank god it's not true. That would've ruined my day. I can't imagine them breaking up anyhow. Maybe a hiatus if anything. They all seem to get along too well to breakup.

ramomcferno 09/08/11 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 94533742)
I thought they were recording. I want another solo album from Justin.

I was just joking but that is good news.

Holly HoX! 09/08/11 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramomcferno (Post 94540472)
I was just joking but that is good news.

No, haha, I knew you were joking.

domotime2 09/08/11 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Raine (Post 94537852)
I think if you check out some of their interviews (or hell, just listen to their stuff beyond a passive, casual level) it's pretty clear that AFI makes music purely out of intrinsic desire and I really don't think I'm naive for thinking so. Four 80's kids making what they think is good with disregard to the masses, the underground, and even their own fanbase. Which is generally what art should be, methinks. What the artist thinks is good. Disregard for all exterior influences.

I defy you to watch any of these videos and tell me their music isn't genuine, opinions on quality aside. http://afi.buzznet.com/user/video/list/?p=1

Maybe I'm just biased because they're my favorite band, and because they flew me out from Honolulu to Los Angeles to hang out and sing background vocals on Crash Love when I won a contest. But I do think that gives me some insight that others don't have.

Anyway I'm with Jason that StS and DU are their best (laugh it up, haterz) but I enjoy the whole discography. First two albums, good not great. Shut Your Mouth forward, perfection.

im sorry, when i saw their newest music video the word "tool" pops up SO quickly. He's clean cut, he's safe...he's a celebrity. WTF is that?! THATS DAVEY HAVOCK!? are you kidding? I never get on the bandwagon abuot a band selling out, i would never do that....but when you completely change your image, for what it LOOKS to be for money and popularity its tough.

The punk fan base is a bitch. Don't get me wrong. Maybe they wanted to stop playing fast paced punk music for a while now...maybe davey wantd to stop screaming...maybe davey wanted to get a haircut....maybe davey wanted to wear a suit....i'm not sure. but its just such a tough pill to swallow.

Oskarr 09/08/11 11:30 AM

Holy shit. This would've bummed me out. People talk a lot of smack about their newer stuff, but I quite enjoy it. Though nothing compares to Narrative of Soul Against Soul.

MBIIdollaBill 09/08/11 11:37 AM

another fake break up post... it would suck if we actually lost both brand new and AFI

MBIIdollaBill 09/08/11 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevils327 (Post 94533462)
ehh, after the only tolerable album they've made. I guess thats a good stopping point.

you, sir, are fucking ridiculous

Jay Sean Fenris 09/08/11 11:55 AM

Wow.

njdevils327 09/08/11 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBIIdollaBill (Post 94542152)
you, sir, are fucking ridiculous

i knew that wasnt going to be a popular opinion. but im not into skate punk or whatever some of the first few albums were, and im not into the goth shit that they went for with Decemberundground and the other albums from that area. Crash Love is just a good rock record. No lasting value on anything theyve recorded really though.

nonohjohn 09/08/11 12:22 PM

glad this isn't true, even though i couldn't get into their last two records at all. sing the sorrow and black sails in the sunset will always be classics to me

The Raine 09/08/11 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domotime2 (Post 94541132)
im sorry, when i saw their newest music video the word "tool" pops up SO quickly. He's clean cut, he's safe...he's a celebrity. WTF is that?! THATS DAVEY HAVOCK!? are you kidding? I never get on the bandwagon abuot a band selling out, i would never do that....but when you completely change your image, for what it LOOKS to be for money and popularity its tough.

The punk fan base is a bitch. Don't get me wrong. Maybe they wanted to stop playing fast paced punk music for a while now...maybe davey wantd to stop screaming...maybe davey wanted to get a haircut....maybe davey wanted to wear a suit....i'm not sure. but its just such a tough pill to swallow.

Haha, the part about the suit sounded familiar so I went back and sure enough, we had a similar exchange about a year-and-a half-ago.

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthre...post63589 771

The irony there is that the album is pretty much a big criticism of what you think Davey has become, haha.

Look wise, that era was a bit of a Moz phase for him.

That look doesn't really correlate with any trend and if anything, goes against a lot of the marketability they had on the previous two albums. And sure enough, CL didn't do nearly as well as StS and DU. They never even acknowledged that and/or seemed phased by it. Seems to me they just do what they want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevils327 (Post 94543242)
No lasting value on anything theyve recorded really though.

HAH.

The Raine 09/08/11 12:31 PM

Not that it's a secret or anything, but this band live is something else.

Sext Offender 09/08/11 12:51 PM

their next album should be a punk album
for all times sake

UnderclasHero 09/08/11 01:00 PM

Good. Im happy, because I wasnt thrilled with the last album but I still like these guys. DECEMBERUNDERGROUND was such an awesome record. Hoping for a better next album.

Esrb99 09/08/11 01:53 PM

Happy that this was not true. so very happy.