AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  AFI Have Broken Up (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2430982)

PerfectChaos337 09/08/11 03:04 PM

I saw this news on Twitter right after I woke up and thought u was trapped in some kind of fucked up nightmare. Now I'm thanking gods I don't believe in because my favorite band is still here. Glad I missed the whole commotion this morning, I would have lost my shit. Long live AFI.

holybatmon 09/08/11 04:55 PM

Decemberunderground was such a great pop-rock record, and STS is one of the few albums that I can safely say more than simply shaped my music tastes. Long live AFI!

IndieKid! 09/08/11 05:39 PM

I didn't know this band was still around or liked here, no complaints, just surprised.

kazuma_ootaro28 09/08/11 07:49 PM

I'm glad they haven't broken up. I would love to see them make another album in the same magnitude as Sing the Sorrow but that might be asking too much at this point.

Feenucks 09/08/11 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domotime2 (Post 94534362)
its insanity really. Imagine a band like......At-The drive/blood brothers in morphing into a band that sounds like a soft/safe rock band. We're going to basically get rid of everything that made us who we are and we're going to stop sreaming, and be completely different. (I understand Davey's vocal chrods were shot btu still).

I'd love to know how the band decided to do this. Were other members pissed during this transformation? Were they just showed the dollar signs and that was cool? How did they feel alienating their fan base?

You're an idiot.

Davey Havok is 35 years old. How weird would it be for him to still be singing songs about wanting to be a "high school football hero" or "cereal wars"? Their musicianship has evolved tremendously over the last decade, and for the better. Their musical style matured because the members grew up. Adding Jade on guitar was the best thing they could've done because he is ace. Mark couldn't play guitar for shit. The members of AFI have openly stated that they are embarrassed by their early work (their first two albums in particular0. People, like the guys in AFI, grow up. You probably should too.

That said, I am glad that AFI hasn't broken up, though I can't say I would've been too terribly surprised if this had turned out to be true. Personally, I think they still have one or two more good albums in them. I don't expect it to be another Sing the Sorrow...but their next output should be nothing short of amazing.

domotime2 09/08/11 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feenucks (Post 94576342)
You're an idiot.

Davey Havok is 35 years old. How weird would it be for him to still be singing songs about wanting to be a "high school football hero" or "cereal wars"? Their musicianship has evolved tremendously over the last decade, and for the better. Their musical style matured because the members grew up. Adding Jade on guitar was the best thing they could've done because he is ace. Mark couldn't play guitar for shit. The members of AFI have openly stated that they are embarrassed by their early work (their first two albums in particular0. People, like the guys in AFI, grow up. You probably should too.

That said, I am glad that AFI hasn't broken up, though I can't say I would've been too terribly surprised if this had turned out to be true. Personally, I think they still have one or two more good albums in them. I don't expect it to be another Sing the Sorrow...but their next output should be nothing short of amazing.

creative integrity is one thing but selling out your roots is a hard sell for the punk crowd. there's a reason why bands like nofx, socical distortion, rancid, bad religion are so beloved...and a band like AFI has to expect it. Plus, there's two ways about it. Against Me! have obviously grown up and are completely maturing in sound, but they're still sticking to a base that got them here in the first place. If i started a punk band, a fast paced fun hard punk band, and i played that music for 15 years, of course i'd want to expand my horizons and not be stuck in a genre. I'd probably write and album or write a few songs that show "other sides" of me...and thats absolutely fine. But "growing up" doesnt include changing everything about you and the band. Davey would've been better served in just starting a new band with a new band name...because the music that they play is simply just not AFI.

Dan CiTi 09/09/11 12:38 AM

:(

Feenucks 09/09/11 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domotime2 (Post 94578582)
creative integrity is one thing but selling out your roots is a hard sell for the punk crowd. there's a reason why bands like nofx, socical distortion, rancid, bad religion are so beloved...and a band like AFI has to expect it. Plus, there's two ways about it. Against Me! have obviously grown up and are completely maturing in sound, but they're still sticking to a base that got them here in the first place. If i started a punk band, a fast paced fun hard punk band, and i played that music for 15 years, of course i'd want to expand my horizons and not be stuck in a genre. I'd probably write and album or write a few songs that show "other sides" of me...and thats absolutely fine. But "growing up" doesnt include changing everything about you and the band. Davey would've been better served in just starting a new band with a new band name...because the music that they play is simply just not AFI.

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree.

"Growing up", sometimes does include changing everything about you. Just because somebody, for example, finds religion (or loses it), that doesn't mean that they are not the same person...they are just a different phase of the same person. They may talk about different things or indulge in various different activities, but the core of the actual person still remains.

As a musician, I can definitely say that I could never make the same album twice. There are a lot of different sides to the guys in AFI (and many other bands who suffer the same criticism). They've said numerous times in interviews that they didn't grow up only listening to punk rock...that just happens to be what they started off actually playing. If you have the skill to go further with your music and craft more interesting pieces, why would anybody want to limit themselves to a style of play that is so rudimentary and clearly inferior in terms of musicicanship?

I wouldn't say that AFI "sold out their roots" so much as they expanded on them and allowed them to grow. True, the music they play today could be called anything but "punk rock", but I think that is a beautiful thing as it more honestly reflects the changes we all go through in this thing called life.

You definitely made some good points, but I think it would be selfish of any fan to ask a band to stifle their creativity for the sole purpose of maintaining a fictional, self-imposed status quo.

just.Starla. 09/09/11 08:25 AM

For some reason, I thought they broke up years ago. But it's nice that they're still together.

MBIIdollaBill 09/09/11 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevils327 (Post 94543242)
i knew that wasnt going to be a popular opinion. but im not into skate punk or whatever some of the first few albums were, and im not into the goth shit that they went for with Decemberundground and the other albums from that area. Crash Love is just a good rock record. No lasting value on anything theyve recorded really though.

again, fucking ridiculous

MBIIdollaBill 09/09/11 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sext Offender (Post 94545722)
their next album should be a punk album
for all times sake

i could live with that

Yellowcard2006 09/09/11 10:47 AM

You guys scared me.