AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Technology Round-Up (10/03/11) (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2463162)

Linda Ferreira 10/03/11 12:58 PM

Technology Round-Up (10/03/11)

Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Linda Ferreira 10/03/11 12:59 PM

Thanks to Chad for putting this together:

Technology Round-UpPoll

According to a new survey, approximately 40% of cell phone users in the U.S. plan to buy the iPhone 5. Sales are expected to destroy all previous iPhone records. Are you interested in getting the iPhone 5?

Apple

Radio Shack's inventory suggests that Sprint will be getting the iPhone 5.

Apple may announce a new low-end iPhone along with the iPhone 5 next week. Apple has essentially confirmed a device called the iPhone 4S which a German carrier suggests will be offered in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB sizes.

Apple may utilize the accelerometer and gyro for video stabilization.

Apple clone computer maker, Psystar (remember them?), lost their appeal in court this week. I imagine this will probably be the last we hear of the company.

Some people received an early invite to iCloud.

The iTunes Store is now available in every European Union country.

Apple is attempting to get worldwide cloud music licenses from the big labels.

The day that iPod Classic fans new was coming has arrived. Apple will discontinue the iPod Classic and the iPod Shuffle (no loss on the Shuffle). Your round-up author will continue to use his 80GB iPod 5G until the hard drive dies. Battery life is still surprisingly good after six years.

Internet

Music executives are oddly fond of services like Spotify, Rdio, and MOG. Music piracy is on the decline thanks partially to these services. Finally music fans and executives find something in common!

Rhapsody plans to acquire Napster.

Verizon has filed an appeal in the U.S. Court of Appeals to block net neutrality rules.

Firefox 7.0 and Firefox 8 beta have been released.

Ubuntu One cloud services are now available to Windows users.

Google

The government is taking a closer look at the Google takeover of Motorola Mobile.

Google has opened its first retail store, the Chromezone, in London.

Google Maps has added 3D birds-eye views.

Electronics

Sony movies will no longer provide the required 3D glasses to moviegoers starting next year. I hope they advertise that at the box office, or that ticket refund line will be huge.

50 Cent is getting his own headphones line called SYNC by 50. I don't see Dr. Dre losing any sleep about this competitor to his Beats headphones.

Check out a review of the 24.3-megapixel Sony A77.

The Gibson Firebird X guitar tunes itself and features app support.

Kodak has a new waterproof 720p videocamera.

Mobile

Nokia had to lay off 3,500 employees.

HP may be interested in purchasing HP's Palm division to make webOS Kindles.

For people who only want their phones for internet and texting, T-Mobile is offering a $30/mo. unlimited data (speed-capped at 5GB/s) and texting with no contract at Wal-Mart. Only 100 minutes of talk are included.

AT&T is planning to raise phone insurance costs for iPhone users and throttle the top 5% of data users.

Check out a video highlighting the Kinect and Windows Phone 7.5 integration.

The Windows Phone 7 Mango update eliminates the always-on location tracking.

A new HTC vulnerability may expose phone numbers, GPS locations, SMS data, etc.

One eBay shopper has offered a two-minute tour of Android 2.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

Google may launch the Nexus Prime on October 11.

The Samsung Galaxy S II has a bug in which people can bypass the lock screen. On a moderately-related note, check out a review of the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II.

The HTC Hero S, Wildfire S, and Flyer will land on U.S. Cellular next month.

MetroPCS will release the Android-2.3-toting LG Esteem,

Virgin Mobile has announced the LG Optimus Slider which will feature Android 2.3.

Samsung now pays Microsoft to use their patents for Android phones.

There is a new fake girlfriend service.

Apps

MagicJack for iPhone allows anyone to place free VoIP calls.

A new version of Firefox Aurora, is now available for all mobile and desktop platforms.

SwiftKey X 2.1 for Android has been released.

The new TWCable TV app fixes bugs, adds channel blocking, and adds closed captions.

The Flickr app is now available for Android.

Computer/Tablet

Amazon has announced the new Kindle Tablet (Kindle Fire) and new Kindle e-readers the $79 Kindle, $99 Kindle Touch, and $149 Kindle Touch 3G. Amazon has confirmed that the $79 and $99 Kindle Touch models will keep e-ink displays. The Kindle Fire will cost $199, and Amazon will lose an estimated $50 on each unit sold. Check out a video of the device in action. It will also feature a new Amazon cloud rendering engine called Silk which should result in extra fast website loading but has some potential privacy caveats. Cnet has provided an interesting take on why the $199 Kindle Fire is an iPad killer ("It's the price, stupid"), and Extremetech has written an intriguing article titled Kindle Fire and Windows 8 will kill the iPad. 195,000 people have already pre-ordered the Kindle Fire.
Gizmodo helps buyers decide which of the 6 Kindles and 11 price points is best for them, and Engadget has reviewed the new Kindle.

Motorola Xoom owners on Verizon can now update their tablets to support 4G LTE.

Samsung has announced the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus which will feature a dual-core 1.2GHz processor and Honeycomb.

T-mobile will sell the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 starting October 26.

Check out a review of the Acer Iconia Tab A501 for AT&T.

RIM has explained which Android apps will be compatible with the Playbook.

Ubuntu 11.10 will be released October 13.

GNOME 3.2 has been released.

Tips/Tricks

CouchPotato allows people to download movies as soon as they are released.

Include your passwords in your will with PassMyWill.

Quickly and easily compare technology products with GetComparisons.

OS X users can conveniently clean off their drives with Broom.

See detailed maps of airports in Bing.

Unlock your router's hidden potential with DD-WRT. Not recommended for people who are using their ISP's provided router.

Miscellaneous

A man has been charged with attempting to use a model airplane to bomb the Pentagon.

IBM has now overtaken Microsoft as the second most valuable technology company.

--
Contributor: CyberInferno (Chad)

zachff 10/03/11 01:02 PM

Here's this week's real roundup:

Blah blah blah NEW iPHONE TOMORROW blah blah blah.

:calvin: :hobbes:

Alex DiVincenzo 10/03/11 01:05 PM

Bummer about the iPod classic being discontinued. I still swear by my 2nd generation iPod. It's a 40 gig brick.

only the clouds 10/03/11 01:46 PM

I bought my iPod classic refurbished about 4 years ago and it's still awesome. (I don't even care that it spontaneously wiped itself twice.)

The main problem here is that none of the Touch ones are big enough to hold my library and also they're way more expensive. Lame.

DanTGD 10/03/11 01:58 PM

So they're getting rid of the only iPod that's worth it? Looks like I'm converting to another mp3 player soon.

schenksta 10/03/11 02:00 PM

Kinda bummed about the Shuffle being discontinued. I love my little shuffle for when I work out and snowboard.

Coverbydesign 10/03/11 02:12 PM

sweet so once my classic dies.Ill be forced to buy one of those touch screens with a lower memory. -_-

Holly HoX! 10/03/11 02:26 PM

Okay, so labels are stoked about Spotify and piracy is down....BUT that is certainly not translating into sales as people are essentially using the free services as pseudo music libraries. Where is the incentives for the labels here? Why are they onboard? I dont personally have any use for a service like spotify and the ads blow. I still use grooveshark for parties.

iAMhollyood315 10/03/11 02:26 PM

I wish iCloud and IOS 5 would drop tomorrow and not with the actual launch with the phones. That new data center in NC better be ready to handle such a huge load of bandwidth

Holly HoX! 10/03/11 02:28 PM

Also, my 120gb ipod is my best friend

zachff 10/03/11 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex DiVincenzo (Post 95857852)
Bummer about the iPod classic being discontinued. I still swear by my 2nd generation iPod. It's a 40 gig brick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by only the clouds (Post 95860082)
I bought my iPod classic refurbished about 4 years ago and it's still awesome. (I don't even care that it spontaneously wiped itself twice.)

The main problem here is that none of the Touch ones are big enough to hold my library and also they're way more expensive. Lame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTGD (Post 95860632)
So they're getting rid of the only iPod that's worth it? Looks like I'm converting to another mp3 player soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coverbydesign (Post 95861172)
sweet so once my classic dies.Ill be forced to buy one of those touch screens with a lower memory. -_-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 95862042)

Not taking a side either way but the future, as Apple (and Amazon and Google) see it, is in the cloud. The number of people who need 40/60/120 GB of music at any time is extremely small, though it's probably a much higher percentage on AP than in the general public.

Just my two cents.

zachff 10/03/11 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schenksta (Post 95860702)
Kinda bummed about the Shuffle being discontinued. I love my little shuffle for when I work out and snowboard.

I'd recommend the Sansa Clip. I've used both and I prefer it over the shuffle.

popdisaster00 10/03/11 03:37 PM

God damnit, I'm not going to buy an iPod touch for an mp3 player. I already have an iPhone. Classic or bust!!

Handraa 10/03/11 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 95862042)

This. This. This. This.