AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Contest: blink-182 and My Chemical Romance (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2466052)

theotheryabs 10/05/11 02:08 PM

First discovered Blink by hearing "all the small things" when I was really young on the radio, I think I was about 7. I really discovered how awesome they were when I was 12, and now, I actually hate that song.

First discovered My Chem when I was 10. I'm not Okay got really huge and I loved that song. Than Helena came out and that song got so overplayed I can barely stand it now. I still love them, but that one song annoys me.

Kind of the same story for both bands...

dialINsounds 10/05/11 02:16 PM

Well I first heard of blink-182 when they were blink, before they had to change there name to blink-182 for legal reasons. Anyway I heard them in '95 or '96 on a college radio station, I forget what station. So then I went to warped tour summer of '96 in Vernon, NJ and saw them at one of the best warped tours I've been to to date. But there was hardly anyone there I mean nobody knew who Blink was, ppl wanted to hear Nofx and Face To Face. But after blink played I happened to meet them over by the concession stand, and for some reason I pulled out a dollar and gave it to them and said "this is a dollar from your guys show, you guys were amazing". Then I went and got some food, but this was such an iconic show for me!

As for MCR, well I first heard them from my little brother, he went to college in 2002 and on his first trip back home in November, he brought with him "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love." Not knowing what I was in for, I gave it a listen and once I got to track 3 and heard "Vampires Will Never Hurt You" followed by "Drowning Lessons", well needless to say I was blown away. The rest is history.

shwaz499 10/05/11 02:17 PM

Its hard to say exactly when I discovered Blink. I grew up seeing all the big videos from Enema and TOYPAJ in my early teens but to be honest the first time I really took them seriously was when I heard Mark and Tom on KROQ as they were premiering the tracks to Self-Titled. I fell in love with that album right away which led me to really go back and realize how incredible their previous 3 records were.

Holly HoX! 10/05/11 02:23 PM

Oh. My. Gawd.

ctmk 10/05/11 02:38 PM

oh god lueda... marry me

Lueda Alia 10/05/11 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialINsounds (Post 95979212)
Well I first heard of blink-182 when they were blink, before they had to change there name to blink-182 for legal reasons. Anyway I heard them in '95 or '96 on a college radio station, I forget what station. So then I went to warped tour summer of '96 in Vernon, NJ and saw them at one of the best warped tours I've been to to date. But there was hardly anyone there I mean nobody knew who Blink was, ppl wanted to hear Nofx and Face To Face. But after blink played I happened to meet them over by the concession stand, and for some reason I pulled out a dollar and gave it to them and said "this is a dollar from your guys show, you guys were amazing". Then I went and got some food, but this was such an iconic show for me!

Damn, you've been a fan for a long time eh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 95979662)
Oh. My. Gawd.

Did all these videos blow you away?

Holly HoX! 10/05/11 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 95980572)
Damn, you've been a fan for a long time eh!

Did all these videos blow you away?

Hm, you could say that. One did.

Lueda Alia 10/05/11 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctmk (Post 95980562)
oh god lueda... marry me

I thought you would never ask.

Let's!

xsinkshipsx 10/05/11 02:41 PM

Memphis 10/05/11 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anamericangod (Post 95978472)
At least you did, that's all that matters.

I remember the DJ refusing my request to play Dammit at the 8th grade dance. Said the song was too vulgar for such virgin ears.

As for My Chemical Romance, well, now that's another story entirely so children, let us all gather 'round the campfire. I had seen bits and pieces of this vampire rock concoction that had emerged from the sewers of New Jersey, and while Mr. Geoff of Thursday was quite high and mighty on them, I wasn't sold. It seemed as if it was a gimmick, zombie-Ziggy Stardust ripoff looking to exploit the feeble minds of America's youth. But as I paid more attention and delved deeper into the labyrinth of the world of chemical romances, I realized there were far more powerful and nefarious forces at work. (It should be noted that up until this point all I had known regarding romance was the Swiss Army type, so this was a dramatic departure for me.)

My relationship with My Chemical Romance took a dramatic step forward upon their release of the video Helena. Was it the vampire makeup? Was it the stunning choreography? Was it the monumental combination of jazz hands and umbrellas? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Looking back, I feel that all the pieces were finally connected upon my realization that the extremely visually pleasing dancer representing Helena of Troy was none other than the daughter of Buffalo Bills football coach Wade Phillips. Being a die hard Buffalo Bills football fan since my days of dancing around in a Bills infant sized onesie as my parents wept over Scott Norwood's missed field goal in the Super Bowl against the New York Giants, I realized only one thing could be responsible for this outrageous and sensational connection. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call destiny. Fucking fate. You can't make that shit up if you tried.

Also, hanging out with Thursday backstage on the last tour with them and MCR, I asked to say hey to the guys in MCR before they went onstage. The security lady told me to get fucked. I ignored her existence, but Mikey came to the rescue and said hello to me in a timely fashion, and Gerard followed. We had a charming discussion, Mikey asked if Jared Kaufman still worked for AbsolutePunk, and I laughed out loud, all the while overwhelmed by the fact that I had just taken a piss in the same urinal as the guys from My Chemical Romance.

Sometimes the stars align just right...

Haha, cool story... :)

newfoundglory00 10/05/11 02:44 PM

Memphis 10/05/11 02:46 PM

I discovered My Chemical Romance through the Project Revolution 07 trailer. By that time, all I used to listen to were Linkin Park or Green Day or Enya. So, there was a clip of My Chem playing "Welcome...", I liked it, checked other songs out and instantly fell in love with them. I was spinning The Black Parade endlessly from then on and they're still one of my favourite bands.

As for Blink, I don't quite remember, but I guess it was when a friend sent me a video of Adam's Song. I f***ing love that song.

heron182 10/05/11 02:46 PM

Kyleisraddd 10/05/11 02:54 PM

juliomartinez14 10/05/11 02:58 PM

AP.net, How I first heard of Blink 182

emopunkfan 10/05/11 03:01 PM

my camera isn't working so i'll just type it.

I first discovered My Chemical Romance at one of the small stages at the 2004 Warped Tour. I really enjoyed their live show, and then saw them again that same year on MTV's Discover and Download. I bought all their CD's that were out at the time, and I feel in love them. I saw them at the Irving Plaza in December 04, and is still one of my favorite concerts I ever went to .Seeing them headline Bamboozle 2007, and seeing 30,000 people stream every lyric was something incredible, and I will never forget. Seeing how far they have grown since the time i saw them in 2004 is amazing.

For Blink 182, I first discovered them watching the 2000 VMA's. At the time, I kind of was into different types of music, but Blink played All The Small Things, i feel in love with the band and that genre. TOYPAJ was the first CD I ever bought with my own money and is my favorite CD of all time. I almost feel like Blink and pop punk has shaped me into the person I am today. Their my favorite band and they will be my favorite band till I die.

HollowPrince665 10/05/11 03:04 PM

How I got into Blink and MCR.

Blink182-

Blink 182 had been out for a hot minute by the time I got into them. I was in 4th grade so it was like 1999 2000ish and my big brother would play Enema of the State and Dude Ranch and I just fell completely in love with it. I loved how they didnt really take themselves too seriously and you can just hear how much they loved what they did and their emotions in each song. When I got into middle school I started to buy the CD's and eventually I collected all their studio albums except for The Mark Tom and Travis Show and Flyswatter. I remember when I was in 7th grade I wanted to see them so bad but by the time I was "old enough for concerts" the band had broken up but I still listened to each and every album. I love you guys and I hope to always be enthralled in your music. I still want to see them but everytime I cant because they come during the school week and I know I will never be able to wake up on time lol. And Mark Hoppus is one hell of a bassist and he is the main reason why I picked it up and enjoy it even more.

MCR-

Funny story with MCR, it was 6th grade and at the time Helena was all over the radio and I was like "man who the hell is this!?" and someone said its My Chemical Romance. At the time I couldn't buy Explicit records so I bought I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love and just the sheer intensity of Gerard's voice grabbed me. I already wanted to learn bass because of my idolization of Mark Hoppus but it was Mikey Way's Bass intro to Honey, This Mirror isnt Big Enough for the Both of Us that got me yearning to pick it up. I eventually bought Three Cheers and omg the song writing, the emotion, the heavy riffs, it just grabbed me and never let go. I've followed them through the Black Parade and kept finding more and more to listen to. I always wanted to see them live but they came on days that just never worked with mine but from the live performances its as if I am there. These guys taught me that when you feel alone and that no one knows your pain there are at least 5 guys that may have an inkling of what you are going through, they are just as fucked up or more than you are.

iAMhollyood315 10/05/11 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex DiVincenzo (Post 95973722)
I didn't make a video because I suck, but I wanted to share my memory quickly. By happenstance, My Chemical Romance is the first band I ever saw perform live. At the age of 14, I went to go see The Used and Thrice for my first concert ever on April 18, 2003 (I Googled it) at Lupos in Providence, RI. Story of the Year - before the were signed - opened the show but we got there late when My Chem was playing. I've probably seen a thousand bands since then, but I'll never forget my first.

Funny i Actually went to that tour in Syracuse at Bridge St. Music Hall. I still have the flyer, but i remember waiting in line to get in and we got talking to these guys behind the venue and asking what band they are in. (embarrassingly) they were touring in a beat up van and a dinky trailer. boy did they get popular after

heron182 10/05/11 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliomartinez14 (Post 95981732)

congrats my man!

ctmk 10/05/11 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 95980662)
I thought you would never ask.

Let's!

four_ 10/05/11 03:17 PM

Yep.

DylanPPPP 10/05/11 03:22 PM

Being on camera is awkward. Especially when you're an awkward person...like me.

And I wanna see Tate's video :-(

...anyway! Please pick me! Cause if you don't...well, I'll just have to fight you.

iAMhollyood315 10/05/11 03:24 PM

heres my official entry. Blink 182 helped me enter the world of punk rock, baggy shorts, Drive Thru records, bleached hair and Tom made me want to pick up the guitar.

frenchatticus 10/05/11 03:33 PM

won't even try to bs this

trappedintime 10/05/11 03:35 PM

Hello.

edit: The concert I'm referring to is the Tampa, Florida stop in the Reunion Tour.

John_Barnes 10/05/11 03:54 PM

blink: Around the time that All The Small Things was all over the radio.
MCR: One of my friends showed me "To The End" and I thought it was really weird. I've since grown to like them.

zephyrsong12345 10/05/11 03:56 PM

Not making a video because I'm about as technologically savvy as a 90 year old, so hopefully I won't lose too many points for doing a text entry.

I was 9 years old. I had just received my first MP3 player, and the only knowledge I had of the music world was the 60 or so songs that my older sister had put on there. There was some *NSYNC, some awful 90's pop, and there was this one song called First Date that I absolutely hated.
Being 9, I considered myself an absolute scholar of the world- and I scoffed at the immaturity and vulnerability of the lyrics. I also couldn't seem to get my head around the singer's chipmunky vocals. They were irritatingly high-pitched, and the pronunciations of some of the words bothered the hell out of me. I mean, "is it cool if I hold your heeeand?" I frowned upon such silliness and promptly asked my sister to remove the track.
A few years later, I had developed some semblance of a music taste- a very shitty one, mind you. "I Miss You" was getting airplay, and I remember being stunned with recognition when the second verse hit and the chipmunk rang in my ears once more.
Except this time, I liked it. And it changed my life.
I fell madly in love with the song, begged for the rest of the blink-182 CD's for my birthday, and Mark, Travis, and my beloved chipmunk- Thomas Delonge- all carved out a place in my heart that remains to this day. The discovery turned me on to an entirely different genre of music than I was being spoon-fed ad the time, and I'll never forget it.
Tom is one of my favorite vocalists, First Date remains one of my favorite songs, and blink-182 is rounding on the 9th year of their spot as my favorite band of all time.
At this moment, I'm sitting by my door, hoping that the UPS guy might finally deliver my copy of Neighborhoods- youtube rips don't suffice. Until then, I'm content to work my way through the rest of the records in anticipation for the latest- maybe playing First Date a couple more times than the rest.

/cheese

<3 I love you, blink.

kcjleemx5 10/05/11 04:00 PM

My camera is broken. So I uploaded an explanation video with quite a bit of reading. I hope you accept it. :D

Saves The Night 10/05/11 04:02 PM

When are winners being announced? will i have a few days to upload my video??

crushxcrushx3 10/05/11 04:05 PM

I was in kindergarten when I heard blink for the first time.. it was at the talent show and this group of 5th graders came on stage with a bunch of blow-up guitars and microphones and had their hair spray painted green and they lip synched to "All the Small Things". Throughout the talent show we all just kinda watched, but once these kids did their performance, everyone was up dancing and having fun..so that's how I discovered blink
As for MCR, I just found them through friends and the internet mainly

Loyaltabk 10/05/11 04:06 PM

Combat.

Steve_JustAGuy 10/05/11 04:18 PM

The first thing I remember about Blink 182 is the "All the Small Things" video. I didn't understand at the time why they were poking fun at all of the boy bands of the era. Even though I wasn't a fan of said bands, I thought it was unfair to poke fun of them like that. That being said, my friends kept listening to Blink and in seventh grade I remember buying TOYPAJ along with Jay-Z's "Black Album." I vividly remember listening to both albums on the way home from Best Buy. After buying the rest of the Blink albums, I discovered that the band opened me up to a whole new world of music outside of hip hop and Nu Metal. All of those albums were special to me, but when the band broke up, I felt a great deal of sadness that the band was dissolving before they truly reached their artistic pinnacle. Self-Titled was the soundtrack to high school and college for me, and I'm glad that "Neighborhoods" will be part of the soundtrack to my 20's. Every album has reflected something that's happened/happening in my life and I'm glad that they're back.

*Not really a strict intro, but more of a mini-essay as to what they've meant to me*

carcrashofahart 10/05/11 04:25 PM

trl. =/

BornUnderPunches 10/05/11 04:27 PM

I will never get used to Drew's voice

wabagoo 10/05/11 04:52 PM

My stupendously lame story about finding My Chemical Romance through Yahoo Answers.

hectorial85 10/05/11 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 95973592)
Indeed.

I like your hat.

For my responses (no web cam here at work, besides - I've left my cool hats at home).

I remember hearing blink's Josie and Dammit on the radio in '97 when Dude Ranch came out. Primary school. Geez, old man. Hooked from then on.

I got into MCR with the release of I'm Not Ok single and video. The Fangoria reference and overall Anti-teen movie theme to that video struck a chord with me.

f2f_rules 10/05/11 05:09 PM

The first cd that I ever bought was Ennema of the state in the summer of 2000 and the first 'real' show that I ever went to was Blink in the summer of 2001 (Edge fest) with JEW, sum41, millencolin and nfg. Blink helped me discover all the fast punk rock bands that I listen today: In their cd's liner notes they would thanks bands like Lagwagon, ten foot pole and Face to face (my favorite bands of all time) so i'll be forever gratefullto them for that

Jpalms14x 10/05/11 05:12 PM

Mcr 2005

The first time i heard a My Chemical Romance song was back in 2005. I was 11 and I was watching MTV before school and this amazing video came on and I was intrigued. The music video was for the song The Ghost of You and it remains my favorite MCR song to this day

tcg47 10/05/11 05:12 PM

yay

Sneak Peek 10/05/11 05:33 PM

My Chemical Romance.

It was 2002, and I just started taking drum lessons at 12 years old. I asked my new drum teacher to teach me a cool "punk beat". He said his son just joined a punk band playing guitar and asked if this was the type of drumming I meant. He played me "honey this mirror isn't big enough for the two of us". It turned out to be Frank's Dad and since that day I've been a huge fan. They opened up my musical taste as a kid and allowed me to discover some of my favorite bands. I took lessons from Frank's father for 7 years, incredible drummer.

blindrider529 10/05/11 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 95973572)
I was going to reply to your email and say, "Cue all the 'She has an accent!' comments." :-d

haha I jumped straight to your video because I was like OMG a pretty girl works on AP.net?? Plus she's intelligent, nice, and has a neat accent. I thought it was just us pop-punk nerds!

Well...neato.

mshoreline49 10/05/11 05:40 PM

i remember i discovered blink 182 on the can't hardly wait soundtrack (which was awesome all around). i discovered mcr because there was a sticker on the cd that victory put on it that said somthing like "the raw emotion of 'Thursday' I was huge on thursday at the time so i would buy anything with their name on it. victory's marketing worked and now i'm one of the kids that's like "yeah i knew about mcr way back before they were famous"

sexynerd7712 10/05/11 05:45 PM

How I found out of My Chemical Romance

I tried to make it short (:
This band means the world to me.
I have been inspired for nine amazing years!! :D

mickmadethelist 10/05/11 05:45 PM

For Blink, the first band I ever actually liked was "Basket Case" by Green Day. I heard it in my mom's car all the time when I was only 8 or so. I kept asking my mom what the song was called before finally she bought me the tape. With it, she also asked the clerk at the record store what else someone who likes that song would like. A Blink cassette was in brought home with her, and I have been a fan ever since.

For MCR- I had been going to as many shows as I could at this point. Every Year in Worcester was a Skate Fest at the palladium. Headlining one of the days was The Used, who I was super in to at the time. I got there super early so I could see every band possible. One of them was My Chemical Romance, and I was totally hooked. Their live show was awesome and I remember one guy who kept crowdsurfing in the bands hoodie. I went after their set to buy the album and Tshirt. I hung out with Frank, Mikey, and Ray in their van that night. Super sweet guys who seemed grateful anyone would listen to them, at the time.

DCART 10/05/11 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanPPPP (Post 95982942)

Being on camera is awkward. Especially when you're an awkward person...like me.

And I wanna see Tate's video :-(

...anyway! Please pick me! Cause if you don't...well, I'll just have to fight you.

i hear transit.

DCART 10/05/11 05:53 PM

and Thomas, quit being a showoff with those tattoos :p

justinmfi 10/05/11 05:59 PM

No video, but I'll write it out quick.

blink 182-The year was 1998... I remember sitting outside at lunch in my buddy's car smoking cigarettes like the rebels we were.... We would always be playing new music either one of us would hear of..one day, he played Dude Ranch, turned it to Dammit....that was all it took... I was hooked.

MCR. My brother won tickets to the Original Taste of Chaos Tour, only knowing who Senses Fail and The Used were. When MCR started playing the place went f*cking nuts, very awesome performance! I always dig a run or two of their albums every now and then.

Nick Hull 10/05/11 06:06 PM

I don't have time for a video, but my first experience with My Chemical Romance is as follows:
with the release of three cheers, the entire initiation of my teenage life revolved around these guys. I remember hearing helena on the radio, and having my dad bring me to newbury comics to buy the album immediately (and bullets, actually). my parents had just gotten divorced, and it was such an emotionally-powerful album, so needless to say it's deeply-seated as a nostalgic one for me; but it was with the release of the black parade that my interest with them reached its peak. I actually remember, I only saw my dad every few months, but for christmas he got me the white-version of the album (to this day I don't know if there's a difference between the two haha), and I couldn't stop listening, particularly to welcome to the black parade, over and over and over. the album itself was such a haunting premise, but I'll never forget how the first time I genuinely bonded with my dad was by spinning a mix-cd during the holidays, and cuing welcome to the black parade over and over, layered with gary jules' cover of mad world haha. every christmas since, I haven't been able to shake the desperation to listen to that album, and how it was such an important part of my dad and I actually becoming close. he actually moved back to new york right after my birthday this past summer, but our last moment together was while I was driving him home from the movies, and he opened up my center console and plugged in the black parade, skipping ahead to track 5 haha, and my dad making a comparison to queen while I had to actually fight tears at how close we'd come despite hardly seeing each other. I miss him, and this christmas I'll be sure to give the album another spin, for old time's sake. so yeah, haha. that's my story. :)

edit: what ever happened to stay awake, the "untitled" from the black parade is dead? haha.

KristenCorpse 10/05/11 06:12 PM

Blink-182 & MCR - Growing up they helped me cope.

Jennurna Gray 10/05/11 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 95973572)
I was going to reply to your email and say, "Cue all the 'She has an accent!' comments." :-d

I love your accent. Where are you originally from? I might be wrong, but that doesn't sound canadian.