AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Contest: blink-182 and My Chemical Romance (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2466052)

patentpending 10/05/11 06:15 PM

I made a video but I tried not to make it too long because you said "short". I'm a pretty awful speaker as well but I decided it was worth a shot anyway:

Here is a bit more elaboration on my story, it's pretty long and very personal:

http://junkpunks.tumblr.com/post/107...-know-a-little

And the cliff notes version would be, I got into this band via a friend who ended up killing himself a little bit after their first album came out. I became a fan after months of putting off listening to the album after his death. In the end the album really helped me get through not only that tragic event, but a lot of things that were going on in my life. They continue to do so to this day. I became a fan because their music moved and inspired me.

In the end I'd like to think that I didn't really find their music, more so it found me at a time when I needed it the most.

UnderclasHero 10/05/11 06:16 PM

Theres not much of a story here, for me.
But basically, I saw blinks videos for ATST on mtv or somewhere online or something. and I started listening to them ever since. Then I saw Im not ok by MCR, and really started to get into them after that.

imnotapunkhero 10/05/11 06:17 PM

Blink 182: Summer of 1999. I heard All The Small Things on the radio while I was at the beach.
My Chem: I remember seeing their video for Helena in 2004 but that wasn't the first time hearing their name. I don't remember how I first heard it.

DylanPPPP 10/05/11 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCarty61 (Post 95994172)
i hear transit.

No you didn't....

MBIIdollaBill 10/05/11 06:25 PM

haha not gonna bother to upload a video, my story's not that great. i probably heard "all the small things" first by blink some years back, started listening to them casually during the break-up period (probably listened to +44 and AVA first), then started hardcore listening to them since they reformed. as for MCR, I saw the video for "I'm Not Okay" playing at Target (those were the days, huh?), plus there was something called the nintendo fusion tour happening at the time (2004) that had MCR (as well as story of the year, anberlin, autopilot off, and others) on the line-up, so I would listen to the video/song for I'm Not Okay there as well. Eventually I had a buddy of mine download Three Cheers (and a bunch of other albums, I didn't buy music back then X-P) for me, and I was hooked.

Also, Miss Lueda Alia is beautiful!

Mitch 10/05/11 06:27 PM

God I can't believe I'm posting a video of myself, ha.

skellorock 10/05/11 06:40 PM

it was 1998, i was 14, skating was my world, and getting my feet wet in the punk world........now this was 98, i wasnt aware of napster or anything like that yet, but i new a way of listening to music online...............sorta, this was back when ppl still made midi's, and that site belive it or not i have just learned is still standing, http://darkpunk.tripod.com/index.html
anyways i happened to hear one of M+M's, it was instantly memorable on two levels, sounded like what was a great punk tune(and indeed it was when i heard the real thing haha) and given that it was midi...it sounded alot like something that would've been on Megaman(tom's riff)

and later that day, a friend came by and happend to have dude ranch with him, so yeah, and thats that

DandonTRJ 10/05/11 06:54 PM

My memory of everything that happened in the 90's is fuzzy, so I can't tell you how I found Blink; my earliest memory is listening to What's My Age Again? on the radio. From there on, it was mostly through a steady stream of music videos [The Rock Show, Down, I Miss You, etc]. I can tell you, however, exactly how I found MyChem. It was right before Three Cheers was released, and I was a member of a Thrice community on LiveJournal; a guy I met through it pointed me to MCR's website, where I watched a lo-fi video for I'm Not Okay. Then I clicked on the page's music widget and listened to Thank You For The Venom. That one-two-punch was all it took to reel me in. I also remember when Helena showed up on MTV's Total Request Live after the album dropped, and even though it portended the rise of emo as a cultural whipping boy, I was still elated for the band. And thinking how many years it's been since then makes me feel old. Dammit.

DCART 10/05/11 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanPPPP (Post 95995642)
No you didn't....

either im not picking up your sarcasm, or im really just imagining this shit. fuck.

SuchAPerson22 10/05/11 07:23 PM

Please excuse the terrible sound quality, mediocre guitar playing, and my mistyped lyric in the first line.

For those who don't want to watch, here is basically what the video says:

I first heard about Blink 182 in the first grade when I got the very first Kidz Bop for Christmas. "All the Small Things" was on it, and that was my jam. I played and sang it all the time. I also distinctively remember reading "T. Delonge" in the song booklet and thinking that "Delonge" (which I also mispronounced) was the weirdest last name ever. Maaany years after that, in the tenth grade (2008), I made a friend who was all about Blink 182. She made me realize that I wanted to get into them, so I did. The first song I really heard this time around was "Dammit." Just a few years late, but I was in love. From that point on, I was obsessed with Blink 182.

My Chemical Romance is a different story. In the eighth grade, I was reading my monthly J-14 magazine when I saw this strange picture of a band wearing make-up. The lead singer was wearing a tiara. I had never seen anything like this before, so I looked them up. After hearing "Welcome to the Black Parade," my life changed forever. I had no idea music could sound like that. I listened more and more, and they became my first ever "favorite band." Eventually, they opened me up to a whole different realm of music that I thrive in today. If I had never looked up that weird, makeup-wearing band, I do not know what my life would be like today. It is for this reason that I am glad I followed the trend of reading the poppy, preteen celebrity magazine that is J-14.

The end.

InfiniteArms 10/05/11 07:23 PM

I first heard Blink-182 when I was 6 or 7, I think. I was watching Video Hits one morning and The Rock Show came on. I enjoyed the hell out of that song and loved the video clip too!

I first heard MCR when I was 11. I got a ps2 for my birthday a long with some cool games and, dare me to say it, Singstar. One of the tracks you could choose to do karaoke on was Helena. I heard the song I immediately fell in love.

Will probably turn this into a video later but...

"I look like a homeless man at the moment." - Jason Tate, this thread, 2011

Losthope182 10/05/11 07:44 PM

I was first introduced to blink without even realizing it. When I was about 11 or 12 a kid on my CYO basketball team would always wear a Dude Ranch shirt to practice and I never knew what it was. I forget when I actually heard Dammit, but I distinctly remember listening to that and a clip of Alien's Exist on AOL before Enema came out. There was a picture of the Dude Ranch cover somewhere on the site and I realized what the shirt was. I ended up buying Dude Ranch and then getting Enema for Christmas or something and that's when I really fell in love and they became my favorite band.

As for MCR, I saw them open for The Used at the Chance in Poughkeepsie long before they hit it big and they had just released I Brought You My Bullets... They played Headfirst for Halos and I fucking loved it (still do and actually listening to it now, haha). After the show I went to their merch table and bought a copy of their cd and listened to it as my mom drove me and my friend home.

SubacidicRose 10/05/11 07:49 PM

It's a bit long but it's hard to explain my love for mcr xD

xapplexpiex 10/05/11 07:49 PM

My first exposure to MCR was hearing their song "I'm Not Okay" on the radio. At that time, I was indifferent to music, but that song hit me like none other had. The energy, the honesty, and the overall passion in the song really stuck with me. I took my bike to K-Mart and bought Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, my frist CD ever, and listened to it like none other. I'd sit in my computer chair with my discman CD player and listen to one song at a time with the lyric booklet. I wouldn't move onto the next song until I had the previous one memorized. I remember rewinding songs just because I loved the way Gerard sang a certain word and wanted to hear it again, and again, and again. I remember singing every word to "Helena" at the bus stop, even when I forgot the discman at home. As I discovered more bands, my music taste grew and became more diverse, but there will always be a special place in my heart for My Chemical Romance.

bmoney389 10/05/11 07:58 PM

blink-182: The first memory I have of them had to be All The Small Things, the music video and hearing them on the radio. I was only 10 at the time and didn't have a serious opinion on music, instead just watching TRL for the fun of it, which blink was on regularly at the time (1999-2000?). What sticks out the most is that line "Work sucks, I know" that I and all of my friends would always change to "School sucks, I know."

MCR: My family and I were going camping roughly four-five hours away, so my parents wanted us to have something to do in the car. We went to Target and my sister picked out "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge" due to the cover. I was blown away by the first song on the album, Helena and ended up hogging the portable CD player we were sharing at the time. Since then I've been a big fan.

DylanPPPP 10/05/11 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCarty61 (Post 95997412)
either im not picking up your sarcasm, or im really just imagining this shit. fuck.

You didn't hear anything....

xapplexpiex 10/05/11 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anamericangod (Post 95978472)
At least you did, that's all that matters.

I remember the DJ refusing my request to play Dammit at the 8th grade dance. Said the song was too vulgar for such virgin ears.

As for My Chemical Romance, well, now that's another story entirely so children, let us all gather 'round the campfire. I had seen bits and pieces of this vampire rock concoction that had emerged from the sewers of New Jersey, and while Mr. Geoff of Thursday was quite high and mighty on them, I wasn't sold. It seemed as if it was a gimmick, zombie-Ziggy Stardust ripoff looking to exploit the feeble minds of America's youth. But as I paid more attention and delved deeper into the labyrinth of the world of chemical romances, I realized there were far more powerful and nefarious forces at work. (It should be noted that up until this point all I had known regarding romance was the Swiss Army type, so this was a dramatic departure for me.)

My relationship with My Chemical Romance took a dramatic step forward upon their release of the video Helena. Was it the vampire makeup? Was it the stunning choreography? Was it the monumental combination of jazz hands and umbrellas? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Looking back, I feel that all the pieces were finally connected upon my realization that the extremely visually pleasing dancer representing Helena of Troy was none other than the daughter of Buffalo Bills football coach Wade Phillips. Being a die hard Buffalo Bills football fan since my days of dancing around in a Bills infant sized onesie as my parents wept over Scott Norwood's missed field goal in the Super Bowl against the New York Giants, I realized only one thing could be responsible for this outrageous and sensational connection. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call destiny. Fucking fate. You can't make that shit up if you tried.

Also, hanging out with Thursday backstage on the last tour with them and MCR, I asked to say hey to the guys in MCR before they went onstage. The security lady told me to get fucked. I ignored her existence, but Mikey came to the rescue and said hello to me in a timely fashion, and Gerard followed. We had a charming discussion, Mikey asked if Jared Kaufman still worked for AbsolutePunk, and I laughed out loud, all the while overwhelmed by the fact that I had just taken a piss in the same urinal as the guys from My Chemical Romance.

Sometimes the stars align just right...

I lol-ed.
Is it cool to take these chances and fake romances?

Super jealous you got to meet Mikey. They all seem like such nice guys.

SweeneyTodd 10/05/11 08:09 PM

DCART 10/05/11 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanPPPP (Post 96000902)
You didn't hear anything....

stop it. i need someone to back me up.

trevorshmevor 10/05/11 08:24 PM

Yeah I agree with everyone in here, Kyle you're so gorgeous, I didn't realize it until now. <33

Wait a sec am I doing this right?

aolivares 10/05/11 08:54 PM

KingsCrossing 10/05/11 09:04 PM

I discovered My Chemical Romance in 2003 when I saw them opening for The Used and Finch at Irving Plaza in NYC. Only a few fans knew who they were at the time and went crazy for them. After I saw their set I downloaded their first album and was hooked after that.

Christian Wagner 10/05/11 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderclasHero (Post 95995502)
Theres not much of a story here, for me.
But basically, I saw blinks videos for ATST on mtv or somewhere online or something. and I started listening to them ever since. Then I saw Im not ok by MCR, and really started to get into them after that.

F yea July.

iluvny3000 10/05/11 09:34 PM

Thank you so much My Chemical Romance!!!

Albeit my awkwardness I thought it worth a shot to enter. Here's to hoping! Thanks again for doing this absolutepunk - you guys are awesome!!!!

UnderclasHero 10/05/11 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Wagner (Post 96004372)
F yea July.

Love them. Their my new fav band

punkenuff 10/05/11 09:45 PM

Made a video per a suggestion...

Text version for those who don't want to watch:
I have been a Blink fan since I was 10 years old. I don't know the exact date I first heard of them, but I remember one of my then-close friends having Cheshire Cat in his CD case. It stuck out to me because of the handicapped man logo. So in '97, I remember hearing Dammit and falling in love with that song. It wasn't until Can't Hardly Wait came out the next year that I was able to track down Dude Ranch and get listening to Blink as a whole. This was when I put together the first time I heard them(Cheshire Cat logo on the CD my friend had) with the name Blink-182. I was so enthused(pun intended) I was only 11 by then but I was totally hooked. Apple Shampoo became my favorite song and I said to myself, if I ever got a tattoo, it would be lyrics from that song on my wrist. It took me until April 24, 2010, but those lyrics (if you're feeling scared, remember the time we shared, you know that it meant everything to me) are on my left wrist now and forever. So I got into them hard right before Enema of the State was released, and my second biggest first Blink moment was going into my 7th grade science class and somehow Blink came up...turns out my teacher was an ex-DJ and the next day he brought in the advance copy of Dude Ranch that featured different cover art and an extra song...at that point I was on a mission and every day since I've sought out as much Blink stuff as I can find...you can see 99% of my collection here;
http://dreamsellerx.weebly.com/
My first concert was Blink on the Mark Tom and Travis tour in PA on 6.7.00, that made me fall in love with concerts. Since then I've been to 11 more Blink shows including my 100th concert on 8.19 of this year.

I got my first Blink tattoo in 09 and did a pass the torch deal of the new bunny and the old bunny with one of my favorite logos I also have a Famous stars and straps tattoo on my right shoulder I got in 09 as well. then I got balls enough to get the lyrics on my wrist(because of work etc) in April 2010 like I said.Then I decided to add to it on Neighborhood's release date and did this beneath the bunnies:

I really, really love this band. I think you can tell that if you look at my site and tattoos. I would be super honored to win.

Prae Omnia 10/05/11 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aolivares (Post 96003292)

Is that a joker mask? Lol, bet your Halloween costume is going to be awesome.

Prae Omnia 10/05/11 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchAPerson22 (Post 95998802)

I like how that girl walks through the video during the first pause in the song. Planned or no?

gjpinizz 10/05/11 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanPPPP (Post 95982942)

Being on camera is awkward. Especially when you're an awkward person...like me.

And I wanna see Tate's video :-(

...anyway! Please pick me! Cause if you don't...well, I'll just have to fight you.

This is how i initially found out about Blink too! my mom would get mad cause the "work sucks" part. Also love the transit in the background. nice video.

gjpinizz 10/05/11 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkenuff (Post 96005212)
Made a video per a suggestion...

Text version for those who don't want to watch:
I have been a Blink fan since I was 10 years old. I don't know the exact date I first heard of them, but I remember one of my then-close friends having Cheshire Cat in his CD case. It stuck out to me because of the handicapped man logo. So in '97, I remember hearing Dammit and falling in love with that song. It wasn't until Can't Hardly Wait came out the next year that I was able to track down Dude Ranch and get listening to Blink as a whole. This was when I put together the first time I heard them(Cheshire Cat logo on the CD my friend had) with the name Blink-182. I was so enthused(pun intended) I was only 11 by then but I was totally hooked. Apple Shampoo became my favorite song and I said to myself, if I ever got a tattoo, it would be lyrics from that song on my wrist. It took me until April 24, 2010, but those lyrics (if you're feeling scared, remember the time we shared, you know that it meant everything to me) are on my left wrist now and forever. So I got into them hard right before Enema of the State was released, and my second biggest first Blink moment was going into my 7th grade science class and somehow Blink came up...turns out my teacher was an ex-DJ and the next day he brought in the advance copy of Dude Ranch that featured different cover art and an extra song...at that point I was on a mission and every day since I've sought out as much Blink stuff as I can find...you can see 99% of my collection here;
http://dreamsellerx.weebly.com/
My first concert was Blink on the Mark Tom and Travis tour in PA on 6.7.00, that made me fall in love with concerts. Since then I've been to 11 more Blink shows including my 100th concert on 8.19 of this year.

I got my first Blink tattoo in 09 and did a pass the torch deal of the new bunny and the old bunny with one of my favorite logos I also have a Famous stars and straps tattoo on my right shoulder I got in 09 as well. then I got balls enough to get the lyrics on my wrist(because of work etc) in April 2010 like I said.Then I decided to add to it on Neighborhood's release date and did this beneath the bunnies:

I really, really love this band. I think you can tell that if you look at my site and tattoos. I would be super honored to win.

you better win

Lueda Alia 10/05/11 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennurna Gray (Post 95995342)
I love your accent. Where are you originally from? I might be wrong, but that doesn't sound canadian.

Haha nah, it's not a Canadian accent. I'm from Albania, which is a tiny country north of Greece. Anyway I've been living in Canada for almost 10 years now, since I was 14.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBIIdollaBill (Post 95996032)
haha not gonna bother to upload a video, my story's not that great. i probably heard "all the small things" first by blink some years back, started listening to them casually during the break-up period (probably listened to +44 and AVA first), then started hardcore listening to them since they reformed. as for MCR, I saw the video for "I'm Not Okay" playing at Target (those were the days, huh?), plus there was something called the nintendo fusion tour happening at the time (2004) that had MCR (as well as story of the year, anberlin, autopilot off, and others) on the line-up, so I would listen to the video/song for I'm Not Okay there as well. Eventually I had a buddy of mine download Three Cheers (and a bunch of other albums, I didn't buy music back then X-P) for me, and I was hooked.

Also, Miss Lueda Allen is beautiful!

Should have posted a video!

And thank you. :buddies:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch (Post 95996132)
God I can't believe I'm posting a video of myself, ha.

I approve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindrider529 (Post 95992972)
haha I jumped straight to your video because I was like OMG a pretty girl works on AP.net?? Plus she's intelligent, nice, and has a neat accent. I thought it was just us pop-punk nerds!

Well...neato.

Hahaha well I am not a pop-punk nerd any longer, but I am most definitely a music nerd.

I wonder how many people don't realize that I am a girl. Too many boys on Staff....

Quote:

Originally Posted by hectorial85 (Post 95989422)
I like your hat.

For my responses (no web cam here at work, besides - I've left my cool hats at home).

I remember hearing blink's Josie and Dammit on the radio in '97 when Dude Ranch came out. Primary school. Geez, old man. Hooked from then on.

I got into MCR with the release of I'm Not Ok single and video. The Fangoria reference and overall Anti-teen movie theme to that video struck a chord with me.

Thanks, I love it too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctmk (Post 95982332)

Ttlly srs.

But it says you're engaged on your profile. I am not sure how to feel?

Lueda Alia 10/05/11 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjpinizz (Post 96006462)
you better win

Haha seriously.

heron182 10/05/11 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 95973592)
Indeed.

<3 you're really pretty loved your video

ctmk 10/06/11 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 96006852)
Haha nah, it's not a Canadian accent. I'm from Albania, which is a tiny country north of Greece. Anyway I've been living in Canada for almost 10 years now, since I was 14.

Should have posted a video!

And thank you. :buddies:

I approve.

Hahaha well I am not a pop-punk nerd any longer, but I am most definitely a music nerd.

I wonder how many people don't realize that I am a girl. Too many boys on Staff....

Thanks, I love it too.

Ttlly srs.

But it says you're engaged on your profile. I am not sure how to feel?

haha my profile... i should probably overhaul that. havent touched in years.
but yes i am indeed taken. im sorry, it can never be.

desi_182 10/06/11 12:04 AM

This is much longer than I planned.
Enjoy (:

Stroke 10/06/11 02:23 AM

Not in to win anything but I'll still submit my story because it's a very cool contest.
I'm gonna tell you how I got into My Chemical Romance because I was never that much into Blink.

I was like 12 and my little brother or maybe it was my big brother who had bought this video game called Burnout 3: Takedown and I remember it had an awesome soundtrack. And there was that one song that played when I was racing in Salt Lake City, I think, right when you get out of some kind of tunel and then you can see a lake on your right, and just the first notes of it made me think "that's gonna be a cool song" and the singer screamed and I thought "yes, that's cool". It was the dawn of my teen, I had just gotten into rock music, and this song "I'm not okay" really caught my attention. I liked how it rhymed, how it was loud and fast so then I looked for it on the internet and I found the lyrics but I didn't speak English very well at the time so I figured it was supposed to be a funny song and I loved it. A year later, they put out the Black Parade and I borrowed it from one of my friends and I thought "welcome to the black parade" was brilliant and the rest of the album was cool but when I was 16, which was last year, they put out Danger Days and that's about the time I really got into them and I bought all the CDs.
Whenever I think about that "I'm Not Okay" song, I still picture that 3D landscape and it brings me back memories and I'm getting all nostalgic because things were simple back then, when I only cared about music and friends.

Kyle Huntington 10/06/11 02:32 AM

Nice to see such a good response to this competition. Will watch some videos when I have full access to the internet again.

Jennurna Gray 10/06/11 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 96006852)

Oh! I should have recognized it. I know a guy who just moved here from Albania about three years ago. How big of a change was that? I can only image moving to a totally foreign place where people speak a way different language.

Lueda Alia 10/06/11 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennurna Gray (Post 96012502)
Oh! I should have recognized it. I know a guy who just moved here from Albania about three years ago. How big of a change was that? I can only image moving to a totally foreign place where people speak a way different language.

Haha I don't blame you for not recognizing it at all. As I said to someone else in another thread, it doesn't sound like any other Albanian accent at all. It's like in its own category, so no one can ever really tell. It's strange.

That's awesome that you actually know about Albania somewhat though! Most people don't even know it exists. :-d Are you friends with the kid? If you talk to him, you'd probably notice that his accent is nothing like mine.

Moving here was extremely difficult, actually. You can read more about it on my blog -- I've touched on that a little bit.

stereokiller 10/06/11 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 95973462)

reminded me of this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 95973432)

:inlove:

brainconfetti 10/06/11 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchAPerson22 (Post 95998802)

Please excuse the terrible sound quality, mediocre guitar playing, and my mistyped lyric in the first line.

For those who don't want to watch, here is basically what the video says:

I first heard about Blink 182 in the first grade when I got the very first Kidz Bop for Christmas. "All the Small Things" was on it, and that was my jam. I played and sang it all the time. I also distinctively remember reading "T. Delonge" in the song booklet and thinking that "Delonge" (which I also mispronounced) was the weirdest last name ever. Maaany years after that, in the tenth grade (2008), I made a friend who was all about Blink 182. She made me realize that I wanted to get into them, so I did. The first song I really heard this time around was "Dammit." Just a few years late, but I was in love. From that point on, I was obsessed with Blink 182.

My Chemical Romance is a different story. In the eighth grade, I was reading my monthly J-14 magazine when I saw this strange picture of a band wearing make-up. The lead singer was wearing a tiara. I had never seen anything like this before, so I looked them up. After hearing "Welcome to the Black Parade," my life changed forever. I had no idea music could sound like that. I listened more and more, and they became my first ever "favorite band." Eventually, they opened me up to a whole different realm of music that I thrive in today. If I had never looked up that weird, makeup-wearing band, I do not know what my life would be like today. It is for this reason that I am glad I followed the trend of reading the poppy, preteen celebrity magazine that is J-14.

The end.

Should I even bother posting a video? After seeing this no one else has a chance...

Caleb Cabrera 10/06/11 07:56 AM

I was about 7 years old and my mom was listening to Blink-182, I started dancing too it and I still listen to "They Came to Conquer... Uranus."

MCR, I was with one of my closest friends had his parents get him "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love." I was 8 at that time.

provethatIexist 10/06/11 07:58 AM

i think i'm gonna have to go ahead and jump on the "I have a crush on Eda" bandwagon

kidinthebushes 10/06/11 08:22 AM

I saw the music videos of Josie and Dammit on MTV2 back when they originally aired. I had my dad take me to the CD store so I could buy Dude Ranch, but he saw the cow balls on the cover and the song Dammit and refused.

This was back when minors couldn't buy albums with explicit lyrics. Man do I feel old.

oscaristhebest0 10/06/11 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 96012692)
Haha I don't blame you for not recognizing it at all. As I said to someone else in another thread, it doesn't sound like any other Albanian accent at all. It's like in its own category, so no one can ever really tell. It's strange.

That's awesome that you actually know about Albania somewhat though! Most people don't even know it exists. :-d Are you friends with the kid? If you talk to him, you'd probably notice that his accent is nothing like mine.

Moving here was extremely difficult, actually. You can read more about it on my blog -- I've touched on that a little bit.

Totally just jumping in but I think its so weird that people dont know about Albania, there was a good handful of Albanian kids at my high school. Its even crazier when people don't even know what Croation is. That was the second most used language at my high school.

SuchAPerson22 10/06/11 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prae Omnia (Post 96006242)
I like how that girl walks through the video during the first pause in the song. Planned or no?

Haha, definitely not. I did it in my dorm hallway and was hoping that no one would come through... Whoops lol.
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainconfetti (Post 96014552)
Should I even bother posting a video? After seeing this no one else has a chance...

:hug: haha

avafan11 10/06/11 11:44 AM

musicmakesme 10/06/11 12:01 PM

So I know I have no chance with this but I thought I'd share anyway! Audio and visual are out of sync, looks odd...

Basically, I was 11 years old and the guy I liked at the time had blink in his MSN address and so naturally I had to go check them out.
From then on my life completely changed and I learned how music could really connect people; that nothing can compare to standing in a crowd at a show and realising that everyone there feels the exact same way as you do, knowing that it's a moment you're not going to forget.
Always gonna love music. Always gonna love blink.

buddah knome 10/06/11 12:19 PM

I stutter a bit but it's all honest! Could have went on and been more descriptive about the first times but it's already pretty long

deathtolife721 10/06/11 12:52 PM

MCR: Flipping through the channels in 6ht grade. My dad had just had one of his "Mood Swings" and i was crying in my room. Helena was on and i stopped to watch it. It brought me to tears. To this day i know that without discovering them, i wouldnt be here.

Blink-182: Heard snippets of 'All the small things' on the radio, but didnt atually listen to anythign by them till i went to the Honda Civic Tour this past summer with my boyfriend. He's really big into them and i never listened to them; by the last song i was as excited as he was :)