AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Contest: blink-182 and My Chemical Romance (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2466052)

Acad08 10/05/11 01:45 PM

Blink - What's My Age Again on the radio.

MCR - The Black Parade in the fall of '06. My friend Matt pointed out the basslines at a party and I was wowed. Still my favorite album by them!

ACA 10/05/11 01:53 PM

blink-182 - Friends had Dude Ranch. I didn't like it, way too poppy for my one-track, punk/hardcore-only mind. Now, I realize they have a few good albums (99-01) and then a bunch of much weaker output. 1997.

My Chemical Romance - The vocalist of my favorite band (Thursday's Geoff Rickly) told me to check it out since he produced it. I liked it; they've only gotten better. 2002/2003, I don't remember.

coreysetfail 10/05/11 01:56 PM

I decided to get weird with it. I apologize in advance for being obnoxious.. I was just one of those kids that heard "All The Small Things" and "What's My Age Again?" at nine years old and loved them ever since. Not an interesting story in the least, but they would eventually change my life because of it.

jeremyc 10/05/11 02:02 PM

Blink...

Grew up going to Sombrero in SD and then saw them supporting Dude Ranch at The Showcase in Corona, CA. I think I had a few pubes at that age. Became a little Mark Hoppus imitator soon after..Dickies shorts, hurley shirts, purple spiked hair (because Mark rocked it back then). Classic.

MCR...

They were put on as last minute opener's for Recover back in the day when they (Reco) were touring nationally with The Reunion Show who dropped off. It was at The Graceland (now El Corazon) in Seattle. I think Gatsby's got thrown on as well still supporting Why We Fight. Miss that MCR sound for sure.

anamericangod 10/05/11 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 95976802)
I lol-ed.

I wonder how many people will get that.


Mission accomplished!

I hope you like it. :wave:

At least you did, that's all that matters.

I remember the DJ refusing my request to play Dammit at the 8th grade dance. Said the song was too vulgar for such virgin ears.

As for My Chemical Romance, well, now that's another story entirely so children, let us all gather 'round the campfire. I had seen bits and pieces of this vampire rock concoction that had emerged from the sewers of New Jersey, and while Mr. Geoff of Thursday was quite high and mighty on them, I wasn't sold. It seemed as if it was a gimmick, zombie-Ziggy Stardust ripoff looking to exploit the feeble minds of America's youth. But as I paid more attention and delved deeper into the labyrinth of the world of chemical romances, I realized there were far more powerful and nefarious forces at work. (It should be noted that up until this point all I had known regarding romance was the Swiss Army type, so this was a dramatic departure for me.)

My relationship with My Chemical Romance took a dramatic step forward upon their release of the video Helena. Was it the vampire makeup? Was it the stunning choreography? Was it the monumental combination of jazz hands and umbrellas? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Looking back, I feel that all the pieces were finally connected upon my realization that the extremely visually pleasing dancer representing Helena of Troy was none other than the daughter of Buffalo Bills football coach Wade Phillips. Being a die hard Buffalo Bills football fan since my days of dancing around in a Bills infant sized onesie as my parents wept over Scott Norwood's missed field goal in the Super Bowl against the New York Giants, I realized only one thing could be responsible for this outrageous and sensational connection. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call destiny. Fucking fate. You can't make that shit up if you tried.

Also, hanging out with Thursday backstage on the last tour with them and MCR, I asked to say hey to the guys in MCR before they went onstage. The security lady told me to get fucked. I ignored her existence, but Mikey came to the rescue and said hello to me in a timely fashion, and Gerard followed. We had a charming discussion, Mikey asked if Jared Kaufman still worked for AbsolutePunk, and I laughed out loud, all the while overwhelmed by the fact that I had just taken a piss in the same urinal as the guys from My Chemical Romance.

Sometimes the stars align just right...

theotheryabs 10/05/11 02:08 PM

First discovered Blink by hearing "all the small things" when I was really young on the radio, I think I was about 7. I really discovered how awesome they were when I was 12, and now, I actually hate that song.


First discovered My Chem when I was 10. I'm not Okay got really huge and I loved that song. Than Helena came out and that song got so overplayed I can barely stand it now. I still love them, but that one song annoys me.

Kind of the same story for both bands...

dialINsounds 10/05/11 02:16 PM

Well I first heard of blink-182 when they were blink, before they had to change there name to blink-182 for legal reasons. Anyway I heard them in '95 or '96 on a college radio station, I forget what station. So then I went to warped tour summer of '96 in Vernon, NJ and saw them at one of the best warped tours I've been to to date. But there was hardly anyone there I mean nobody knew who Blink was, ppl wanted to hear Nofx and Face To Face. But after blink played I happened to meet them over by the concession stand, and for some reason I pulled out a dollar and gave it to them and said "this is a dollar from your guys show, you guys were amazing". Then I went and got some food, but this was such an iconic show for me!

As for MCR, well I first heard them from my little brother, he went to college in 2002 and on his first trip back home in November, he brought with him "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love." Not knowing what I was in for, I gave it a listen and once I got to track 3 and heard "Vampires Will Never Hurt You" followed by "Drowning Lessons", well needless to say I was blown away. The rest is history.

shwaz499 10/05/11 02:17 PM

Its hard to say exactly when I discovered Blink. I grew up seeing all the big videos from Enema and TOYPAJ in my early teens but to be honest the first time I really took them seriously was when I heard Mark and Tom on KROQ as they were premiering the tracks to Self-Titled. I fell in love with that album right away which led me to really go back and realize how incredible their previous 3 records were.

Holly HoX! 10/05/11 02:23 PM

Oh. My. Gawd.

ctmk 10/05/11 02:38 PM

oh god lueda... marry me

Lueda Alia 10/05/11 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialINsounds (Post 95979212)
Well I first heard of blink-182 when they were blink, before they had to change there name to blink-182 for legal reasons. Anyway I heard them in '95 or '96 on a college radio station, I forget what station. So then I went to warped tour summer of '96 in Vernon, NJ and saw them at one of the best warped tours I've been to to date. But there was hardly anyone there I mean nobody knew who Blink was, ppl wanted to hear Nofx and Face To Face. But after blink played I happened to meet them over by the concession stand, and for some reason I pulled out a dollar and gave it to them and said "this is a dollar from your guys show, you guys were amazing". Then I went and got some food, but this was such an iconic show for me!

Damn, you've been a fan for a long time eh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 95979662)
Oh. My. Gawd.

Did all these videos blow you away?

Holly HoX! 10/05/11 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 95980572)
Damn, you've been a fan for a long time eh!


Did all these videos blow you away?


Hm, you could say that. One did.

Lueda Alia 10/05/11 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctmk (Post 95980562)
oh god lueda... marry me

I thought you would never ask.

Let's!

xsinkshipsx 10/05/11 02:41 PM


Memphis 10/05/11 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anamericangod (Post 95978472)
At least you did, that's all that matters.

I remember the DJ refusing my request to play Dammit at the 8th grade dance. Said the song was too vulgar for such virgin ears.

As for My Chemical Romance, well, now that's another story entirely so children, let us all gather 'round the campfire. I had seen bits and pieces of this vampire rock concoction that had emerged from the sewers of New Jersey, and while Mr. Geoff of Thursday was quite high and mighty on them, I wasn't sold. It seemed as if it was a gimmick, zombie-Ziggy Stardust ripoff looking to exploit the feeble minds of America's youth. But as I paid more attention and delved deeper into the labyrinth of the world of chemical romances, I realized there were far more powerful and nefarious forces at work. (It should be noted that up until this point all I had known regarding romance was the Swiss Army type, so this was a dramatic departure for me.)

My relationship with My Chemical Romance took a dramatic step forward upon their release of the video Helena. Was it the vampire makeup? Was it the stunning choreography? Was it the monumental combination of jazz hands and umbrellas? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Looking back, I feel that all the pieces were finally connected upon my realization that the extremely visually pleasing dancer representing Helena of Troy was none other than the daughter of Buffalo Bills football coach Wade Phillips. Being a die hard Buffalo Bills football fan since my days of dancing around in a Bills infant sized onesie as my parents wept over Scott Norwood's missed field goal in the Super Bowl against the New York Giants, I realized only one thing could be responsible for this outrageous and sensational connection. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call destiny. Fucking fate. You can't make that shit up if you tried.

Also, hanging out with Thursday backstage on the last tour with them and MCR, I asked to say hey to the guys in MCR before they went onstage. The security lady told me to get fucked. I ignored her existence, but Mikey came to the rescue and said hello to me in a timely fashion, and Gerard followed. We had a charming discussion, Mikey asked if Jared Kaufman still worked for AbsolutePunk, and I laughed out loud, all the while overwhelmed by the fact that I had just taken a piss in the same urinal as the guys from My Chemical Romance.

Sometimes the stars align just right...

Haha, cool story... :)