AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Hip-Hop Music Round-Up (11/28/11) (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2527342)

Linda Ferreira 11/28/11 09:54 AM

Hip-Hop Music Round-Up (11/28/11)

Head to the replies to read this week's Hip-Hop Music Round-Up.

Linda Ferreira 11/28/11 09:55 AM

Thanks to Roshan for putting this together:

Hip-Hop Music Round-UpThis week's top 10 albums in Hip-Hop and R&B, according to Billboard.com:

1. Drake - Take Care
2. Childish Gambino - Camp
3. Webbie - Savage Life 3
4. Wale - Ambition
5. Mac Miller - Blue Slide Park
6. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter IV
7.Tyrese - Open Invitation
8. The Throne - Watch the Throne
9. J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story
10. Beyonce -4

NEWS:

I know it's a little overdue, but I interviewed Childish Gambino's Camp last week. Come read.

My friends in The Niceguys recently released the remix to "Ari Gold" and were able to get Bun B to hop on. It's quite good.

Drake "responds" to the Ludacris diss.

Big Sean dropped some details about his upcoming mixtape.

Kendrick Lamar says he has the music ready for his album with J. Cole, they just have to create it.

So Nicki Minaj's follow up is called Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded and will drop February 14th. Not exactly creative.

Tyga released the cover art for his upcoming record.

Black Eyed Peas have confirmed an indefinite hiatus. Yes.

T.I. has a collaboration wish list for his next album. The album will also contain an unreleased verse from the late Pimp C.

Black Star have announced a new mixtape.

Lil Kim will release an EP soon.

Wale has started working on his third album.

Dessa recently interviewed with HHDX.

THIS WEEK'S VIDEOS:

Stream: Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Thuggin' [Thuggin']

Interview: Childish Gambino - Hard Knock TV

Music Video: The Roots - Sleep [undun]

Live: B.o.B. - Strange Clouds [Live on Fallon]

Music Video: Ludacris - Bada Boom [1.21 Gigawatts]

Music Video: The Weeknd - The Knowing [House of Balloons]

Music Video: Wale - Barry Sanders [11.1.11 Theory]

Music Video: Cee-Lo Green - Anyway [Ladykiller Deluxe]

Music Video: 88-keys - Wake Up Call f. Colin Munroe [Death of Adam]

Live: Florence + The Machine - Take Care [Drake Cover]

Live: Mayer Hawthorne - Hawthorne Halftime [Live performance; 4 songs]

THIS WEEK'S DOWNLOADS:

T.I. - Pyro [Trouble Man]

Stream: Common - Celebrate [The Dreamer, The Believer]

Kid Cudi - Brake [W Z R D]

Kendrick Lamar - Rigamortis Remix f. Busta Rhymes

Free EP: Tanya Morgan - You and What Army

The Weeknd - The Morning [Alternate Version]

Mixtape: Lupe Fiasco - Friend of the People

Black Star - Fix Up [new song]

Stream: Trey Songz - Inevitable EP

Tinie Tempah - Like it or Love it f. J. Cole [Happy Birthday]

Black Star - You Already Know [new song]

ALBUMS DROPPING THIS WEEK:

Trey Songz - Inevitable EP
Kid Sister - Play and Tell
Currensy - Jet World Order

ALBUMS OUT NOW:
Doomtree - No Kings
Mobb Deep - Black Cocaine

Contributors: themostdeplete

Any feedback is welcome. The best way to get at me is through my blog, www.weworemasks.com. You can keep up with us there during the week if you miss us way too much. If you have any hate mail, love notes, ideas, suggestions or submissions for next week's round up, feel free to get at Roshan at weworemasks@gmail.com or weworemasks on twitter. I also started a personal twitter (@robhatt) so get at that as well. We won't bite.

DickfaceChillah 11/28/11 10:34 AM

I can't imagine getting very good answers when interviewing the CD Camp. ;-)

That Niceguys remix is a fucking banger. Thanks for the download. I'm gonna be listening to that all week.

Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded sounds more like a special edition with some boring b-sides attached than an actual album, but I'm not gonna hate on a name. I fell in love with Pink Friday after a bunch of listens. I approached it looking forward to a hard rap record from the girl that stole the show on many a featured verse but I found a pop record, and a very catchy and fun one at that. Still, with that title, maybe this one will lean more toward the edge that the song Roman's Revenge had.

BEP announces their haitus... a million old obscure records sigh with relief. We live to fight another day.

There's no new Black Star tape for me because I refuse to acknowledge Mos Def until he goes by Mos Def again. Or Ron Artest. MC Ron Artest would be fine. Metta ain't using it.

Not gonna lie, I had no idea there was a new Kid Sister album coming out. Sometimes I feel like I was the only one that loved Ultraviolet. It was sassy as fuck and entirely danceable. I am psyched for a new album.

Some quick notes:
Take Care is perfect. It's a perfect album. I don't think Drake will ever top it. It's his Marshall Mathers LP, his Ready to Die, his CRIMINAL MINDED! The only difference is that it's probably Drake at his softest rather than hardest like those others I mentioned. But in terms of sheer quality, absolutely perfection... it's right on par.

I actually like Camp a bit. I never really dug Gambino but the album is fun and there's some tracks I can bang at half-volume as to not alert others of my hypocrisy.

Dustin Harkins 11/28/11 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickfaceChillah (Post 98552142)
That Niceguys remix is a fucking banger. Thanks for the download. I'm gonna be listening to that all week.

Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded sounds more like a special edition with some boring b-sides attached than an actual album, but I'm not gonna hate on a name. I fell in love with Pink Friday after a bunch of listens. I approached it looking forward to a hard rap record from the girl that stole the show on many a featured verse but I found a pop record, and a very catchy and fun one at that. Still, with that title, maybe this one will lean more toward the edge that the song Roman's Revenge had.

BEP announces their haitus... a million old obscure records sigh with relief. We live to fight another day.

There's no new Black Star tape for me because I refuse to acknowledge Mos Def until he goes by Mos Def again. Or Ron Artest. MC Ron Artest would be fine. Metta ain't using it.

Not gonna lie, I had no idea there was a new Kid Sister album coming out. Sometimes I feel like I was the only one that loved Ultraviolet. It was sassy as fuck and entirely danceable. I am psyched for a new album.

Some quick notes:
Take Care is perfect. It's a perfect album. I don't think Drake will ever top it. It's his Marshall Mathers LP, his Ready to Die, his CRIMINAL MINDED! The only difference is that it's probably Drake at his softest rather than hardest like those others I mentioned. But in terms of sheer quality, absolutely perfection... it's right on par.

I actually like Camp a bit. I never really dug Gambino but the album is fun and there's some tracks I can bang at half-volume as to not alert others of my hypocrisy.

Beat me to it. :-p

jeremyc 11/28/11 11:21 AM

That Black Star Aretha mixtape is going to be huge. Genius concept and "You Already Know" is so good.

Nothing else that grabs my attention this week but that Drake album is growing on me more and more. I know last week I said I could only play (on repeat) The Ride, Lord Knows and Under Ground Kings, but I'm digging Over My Dead Body now too. Love that he used the metaphor for the Bay loving Mac Dre.

incognitojones 11/28/11 11:31 AM

Mostly stoked on new Black Star. Now I have high expectations for new Wale, and Kendrick can really blow up soon with some solid releases.

Holly HoX! 11/28/11 11:34 AM

Danny fucking Brown, bitch.

DickfaceChillah 11/28/11 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 98555512)
Danny fucking Brown, bitch.

Constantly bumping Black and Brown for weeks. Sooooooooooooooo good.

Holly HoX! 11/28/11 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickfaceChillah (Post 98557752)
Constantly bumping Black and Brown for weeks. Sooooooooooooooo good.

Nice I gotta get that one. I'm all over XXX.

Dustin Harkins 11/28/11 12:44 PM

Still stoked at the idea of a Kendrick/J. Cole album.

Also wanna take the time to thank you, themostdeplete, for the thing I look forward to every week on AP.net, so thank you!

weworemasks 11/28/11 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickfaceChillah (Post 98552142)

Some quick notes:

- got me! i was too busy freaking out about my houston texans all day, haha.
-yeah man, the niceguys are something special. i've heard some cuts from the new record and if you like that remix, you'll flip when you hear "war eagle."
- call me cray, but i love mos def's new name. my favorite thing about it was during his stint on dexter, he was credited as "yasiin bey aka mos def"
- hugest crush on kid sis. that ass.
- drake is soft as fuck, but take care is an incredible album.
- camp gets worn at times, but glover is the man. camp's a great record with re-playability, he just needs to switch up the lyrical themes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Harkins (Post 98553252)
Beat me to it. :-p

:-(!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyc (Post 98554662)
That Black Star Aretha mixtape is going to be huge. Genius concept and "You Already Know" is so good.

Nothing else that grabs my attention this week but that Drake album is growing on me more and more. I know last week I said I could only play (on repeat) The Ride, Lord Knows and Under Ground Kings, but I'm digging Over My Dead Body now too. Love that he used the metaphor for the Bay loving Mac Dre.

so excited for the black star tape, or any new music. i was on a particular wagon for a while: not wanting new music from the two as a duo because of how perfect the s/t record is, but after hearing the new jams, i'm more than on board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Harkins (Post 98558732)
Still stoked at the idea of a Kendrick/J. Cole album.

Also wanna take the time to thank you, themostdeplete, for the thing I look forward to every week on AP.net, so thank you!

you got it, dude. you can always peep the site if you don't wanna wait!

DickfaceChillah 11/28/11 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themostdeplete (Post 98559712)
- got me! i was too busy freaking out about my houston texans all day, haha.
-yeah man, the niceguys are something special. i've heard some cuts from the new record and if you like that remix, you'll flip when you hear "war eagle."
- call me cray, but i love mos def's new name. my favorite thing about it was during his stint on dexter, he was credited as "yasiin bey aka mos def"
- hugest crush on kid sis. that ass.
- drake is soft as fuck, but take care is an incredible album.
- camp gets worn at times, but glover is the man. camp's a great record with re-playability, he just needs to switch up the lyrical themes.

:-(!

so excited for the black star tape, or any new music. i was on a particular wagon for a while: not wanting new music from the two as a duo because of how perfect the s/t record is, but after hearing the new jams, i'm more than on board.

you got it, dude. you can always peep the site if you don't wanna wait!

Hahaha, that's hilarious. Most rappers are credited with their real names, he's now credited with two nick names.

Yeah - not saying Drake's softness is a negative. I actually really dig it. Thank Me Later featured an abundance of rhyming and at times it felt like listening to a kid trying to keep up with his big brothers, but that was all the charm of it. I am glad Drake took us in the complete opposite direction for his sophomore effort - a very risky career move - and it worked out so well.

_veges_ 11/28/11 02:02 PM

Nice to see other people getting into Danny Brown in the replies

Sext Offender 11/28/11 02:47 PM

Lil Kim's new ep will kick the shit outta anything nicki minaj has ever done

desiguerilla 11/28/11 07:08 PM

Couple things:

I hate Florence and the Machine, but I love that cover.

The Weeknd music video is so awesome and so fucking strange at the same time.

I understand that people strongly dislike Mac Miller. Hell, I'm still on the fence about him too. But if you don't have to urge to get up and dance when Party on 5th Ave is playing, somethin is wrong with you.