AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Chris Fafalios Was Serious After All (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2566182)

Dre Okorley 12/30/11 11:29 PM

Chris Fafalios Was Serious After All
 
Chris Fafalios (Punchline) clarifies his recent statement about quitting his band if they fail to reach #1 on iTunes. A video explanation including a mention of AbsolutePunk reactions can be seen here.

Dan1234 12/30/11 11:43 PM

he seems kinda bitter towards the end when he says how his band has been a band for so long yet has had no success while he's seen other undeserving bands get big. Theres a few bands that have been a band longer than Punchline has without making it big. What he's doing seems kinda shitty. I'm gonna wait a month before i buy the cd probably.

RyanFTW 12/30/11 11:48 PM

I will be contributing, if only for Chris Fafalios fans everywhere. And of course because Punchline writes some dang catchy tunes.

Also: I would love to see Punchline at the number 1 Itunes charts. I want to see buzz about them.

camperfrequency 12/30/11 11:50 PM

Nnnnnnnnnggggggggg I really want Chris in Punchline!

M_HAY 12/30/11 11:50 PM

All I know is "Open Up" gets stuck in my head all the time.

runningohfive 12/30/11 11:55 PM

:shrug: Welp....guess that explains it.

PerfectChaos337 12/30/11 11:59 PM

After listening to him actually talk, he doesn't seem like all that bad of a guy, but this is still such a negative way to go about things. I feel like all it's doing is making the whole thing look bad.

He and the band should have just promoted the album to the best of their own ability, instead of making demands. If the bassist was unhappy, he also should've just let their fans know that his days are/were numbered. I think it would've been better for them to not pick a specific number, but to just intensely stress the importance of the upcoming release in relation to their career.

Him saying, something along the lines of "I want to stay in the band, but I'm going to quit and then be really bummed out about it, if the album doesn't go to #1" is just silly.

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:02 AM

I don't think it's dumb! And I'm definitely not bitter!!! :)
I love reading AbsolutePunk.net threads.

CluckyB 12/31/11 12:03 AM

Awfully nice to see bands exploiting their fan base <_<

Seriously, if you are strapped for cash to the extent that you legitemetly need more money to continue functioning as a band, start a kicktarter or reach out to your fans asking for help. But this just rubs me the wrong way. It feels way more like "I'm bored with what I'm currently doing and need an ego boost" than "I'm broke with what I'm currently doing and need a cash boost"

Should be fun to watch what happens when they come up short though. Does he actually follow through or does he magically have a "change of heart"?

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1234 (Post 100196632)
he seems kinda bitter towards the end when he says how his band has been a band for so long yet has had no success while he's seen other undeserving bands get big. Theres a few bands that have been a band longer than Punchline has without making it big. What he's doing seems kinda shitty. I'm gonna wait a month before i buy the cd probably.

definitely not bitter! didn't mean to sound that way. i don't think i deserve anything because of my bass playing, but i think my bandmates deserve all the success in the world, because they're awesome as hell!

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CluckyB (Post 100197452)
Awfully nice to see bands exploiting their fan base <_<

Seriously, if you are strapped for cash to the extent that you legitemetly need more money to continue functioning as a band, start a kicktarter or reach out to your fans asking for help. But this just rubs me the wrong way. It feels way more like "I'm bored with what I'm currently doing and need an ego boost" than "I'm broke with what I'm currently doing and need a cash boost"

Should be fun to watch what happens when they come up short though. Does he actually follow through or does he magically have a "change of heart"?

blah blah blah. i ain't exploitin' SH*T clucky! just tryin' to make somethin' happen, and be able to afford to keep putting out music. i don't need a cash boost, cluck face! any money from sales would go straight toward recording new music, not toward me buying a tv, DINGUS.

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camperfrequency (Post 100196852)
Nnnnnnnnnggggggggg I really want Chris in Punchline!

thank you! i want to be in punchline as well :)!!!!

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanFTW (Post 100196802)
I will be contributing, if only for Chris Fafalios fans everywhere. And of course because Punchline writes some dang catchy tunes.

Also: I would love to see Punchline at the number 1 Itunes charts. I want to see buzz about them.

you are a great friend to me :)

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerfectChaos337 (Post 100197272)
After listening to him actually talk, he doesn't seem like all that bad of a guy, but this is still such a negative way to go about things. I feel like all it's doing is making the whole thing look bad.

He and the band should have just promoted the album to the best of their own ability, instead of making demands. If the bassist was unhappy, he also should've just let their fans know that his days are/were numbered. I think it would've been better for them to not pick a specific number, but to just intensely stress the importance of the upcoming release in relation to their career.

Him saying, something along the lines of "I want to stay in the band, but I'm going to quit and then be really bummed out about it, if the album doesn't go to #1" is just silly.

i hope you don't think i'm a jerk! i have my ways, i like to think of myself as the Creed Bratton of bass.

Kdenisarealboy 12/31/11 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100197472)
definitely not bitter! didn't mean to sound that way. i don't think i deserve anything because of my bass playing, but i think my bandmates deserve all the success in the world, because they're awesome as hell!

It's cool as hell and that you are in here replying, but I have to agree with the guy.

I don't know you, or your band, but this whole thing sounds very narcissistic.

I know to you playing bass in a band might not seem very cool anymore, but some kids wish they could be in your position.

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdenisarealboy (Post 100197712)
It's cool as hell and that you are in here replying, but I have to agree with the guy.

I don't know you, or your band, but this whole thing sounds very narcissistic.

nah brah, i am thankful for everything. but i think my bandmates deserve more recognition. also, my facial hair looks kinda bad, i might shave :)

Kdenisarealboy 12/31/11 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100197742)
nah brah, i am thankful for everything. but i think my bandmates deserve more recognition. also, my facial hair looks kinda bad, i might shave :)

What?

royaltannenbomb 12/31/11 12:10 AM

if OJ can get away with murder, why cant punchline get to number 1?

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_HAY (Post 100196862)
All I know is "Open Up" gets stuck in my head all the time.

this makes me happy. i love to play that song on bass, even though it's quite old :)

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royaltannenbomb (Post 100197792)
if OJ can get away with murder, why cant punchline get to number 1?

i think this is such a great point.

i also think that anything in the world is possible.
the world ain't all that big, and anyone can do anything.

RyanFTW 12/31/11 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100197612)
you are a great friend to me :)

And if it doesn't happen, I will be taking your place. I will play bass with a violin bow and take over the "official sex appeal" role from Paul. I will treat the rest of them like garbage and fart constantly in the van.

If you don't want this to happen to punchline, please support them this tuesday.

buddah knome 12/31/11 12:13 AM

I dont think i can grasp the idea of a punchline without chris!

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdenisarealboy (Post 100197782)
What?

hmm?

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanFTW (Post 100197972)
And if it doesn't happen, I will be taking your place. I will play bass with a violin bow and take over the "official sex appeal" role from Paul. I will treat the rest of them like garbage and fart constantly in the van.

If you don't want this to happen to punchline, please support them this tuesday.

ha! i like the bass with a bow idea. i think playing bass in a bow tie is a much better idea though.

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddah knome (Post 100197982)
I dont think i can grasp the idea of a punchline without chris!

you are very nice. i hope i don't have to grasp it either!

CluckyB 12/31/11 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100197582)
blah blah blah. i ain't exploitin' SH*T clucky! just tryin' to make somethin' happen, and be able to afford to keep putting out music. i don't need a cash boost, cluck face! any money from sales would go straight toward recording new music, not toward me buying a tv, DINGUS.

Then why not use kickstarter where you can actually be upfront and honest about how much you need to record the next record? Gives people an actual goal to work towards too instead of just going "Well its currently 12th. Time to keep begging my friends to buy the record so that it hopefully moves up another spot". You claim your goal is making enough money to keep making music but its currently achieve a certain level of popularity. If being popular is your goal than this seems like a perfectly reasonable stunt. But if you really are just trying to make enough money to keep making music, why not make that your goal instead?

RyanFTW 12/31/11 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100198022)
ha! i like the bass with a bow idea. i think playing bass in a bow tie is a much better idea though.

Playing Bass with a violin bow, in bow tie, standing bow-legged while playing to a poster of Bo Derek.

PirateSkater182 12/31/11 12:16 AM

Will be purchasing. I'm really excited to hear these new songs. I'm also excited to see how this turns out, hopefully very well for Chris and the rest of Punchline.

M_HAY 12/31/11 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100197812)
this makes me happy. i love to play that song on bass, even though it's quite old :)


Yeah, dawg! I'm going to buy your EP because I like your band and admittedly haven't paid much attention to it in many years. And also because you use words like "dingus," hahaha.

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CluckyB (Post 100198062)
Then why not use kickstarter where you can actually be upfront and honest about how much you need to record the next record? Gives people an actual goal to work towards too instead of just going "Well its currently 12th. Time to keep begging my friends to buy the record so that it hopefully moves up another spot". You claim your goal is making enough money to keep making music but its currently achieve a certain level of popularity. If being popular is your goal than this seems like a perfectly reasonable stunt. But if you really are just trying to make enough money to keep making music, why not make that your goal instead?

i'm not really beggin'. i'm askin', and gettin' the word out. sometimes you just have to ask the world for something. i am very happy with the songs. i hope people like them. i would love to play them on bass for the rest of my life.

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_HAY (Post 100198162)
Yeah, dawg! I'm going to buy your EP because I like your band and admittedly haven't paid much attention to it in many years. And also because you use words like "dingus," hahaha.

thank you very much! i hope you like the songs. also, in case you don't have our last album "Delightfully Pleased", you can download it for free at punchlinesucks.com. THANKS!!!

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PirateSkater182 (Post 100198132)
Will be purchasing. I'm really excited to hear these new songs. I'm also excited to see how this turns out, hopefully very well for Chris and the rest of Punchline.

i really appreciate it. i hope you like the songs, and i'd love to hear what you think about them!

buddah knome 12/31/11 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100198052)
you are very nice. i hope i don't have to grasp it either!


I will for sure be buying on tuesday! You guys have yet to ever let me down the musics always good!

callforswarley 12/31/11 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100197582)
any money from sales would go straight toward recording new music, not toward me buying a tv, DINGUS.

That's true. TDR records is "non-profit." Not sure how far that actually goes (Mike, the owner, gets none for himself), but the money the label makes is put toward releasing more music.

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddah knome (Post 100198332)
I will for sure be buying on tuesday! You guys have yet to ever let me down the musics always good!

thank you very much! i really hope that you like the songs!

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callforswarley (Post 100198362)
That's true. TDR records is "non-profit." Not sure how far that actually goes (Mike, the owner, gets none for himself), but the money the label makes is put toward releasing more music.

Mike Hollins is the man, and TDR Records is the most all-about-the-music label ever.

callforswarley 12/31/11 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100198382)
thank you very much! i really hope that you like the songs!

And Chris, I will definitely be downloading. And if there's a physical, I'm getting that, too. Best of luck.

CluckyB 12/31/11 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100198232)
i'm not really beggin'. i'm askin', and gettin' the word out. sometimes you just have to ask the world for something. i am very happy with the songs. i hope people like them. i would love to play them on bass for the rest of my life.

Why do you need to get number one on iTunes to keep playing bass for them? Its not like getting number 1 on iTunes means your band is financially viable, while not getting number 1 on itunes means it isn't. Sure they are related, but they still are inherently different.

Also the 'begging' line wasn't in reference to what you're doing, but instead to what I'm sure some fans will resort to doing to try and help boost you guys to number 1.

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CluckyB (Post 100198492)
Why do you need to get number one on iTunes to keep playing bass for them? Its not like getting number 1 on iTunes means your band is financially viable, while not getting number 1 on itunes means it isn't. Sure they are related, but they still are inherently different.

Also the 'begging' line wasn't in reference to what you're doing, but instead to what I'm sure some fans will resort to doing to try and help boost you guys to number 1.

It's just the goal I set. I like to set my goals high. I want to see what people think of the songs!

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callforswarley (Post 100198462)
And Chris, I will definitely be downloading. And if there's a physical, I'm getting that, too. Best of luck.

i really appreciate it!

buddah knome 12/31/11 12:28 AM

I wish this thread was like quinterviews and jack o' shea just kept making cameos.

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddah knome (Post 100198622)
I wish this thread was like quinterviews and jack o' shea just kept making cameos.

Quinterviews failed because it was unsuccessful. Maybe Quinterviews.com just wasn't cutting it.

radonkulous 12/31/11 12:31 AM

Hey anyone who thinks he is exploiting his fans, or using this as a gimmick, and blah blah blah. It takes a lot of guts to do what he is doing. He is putting what he LOVES on the line to go for what he believes in. This is how he makes his living, this how he defines himself. Would any of you put something you love on the line like this? To have to walk away if it doesn't happen. I highly doubt many would, and if you can't see that the dude cares for his band, and band mates enough to go for it... Then just take your negativity and go some where else. Good luck Mr. Fafalios

ishotthepilot 12/31/11 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1234 (Post 100196632)
he seems kinda bitter towards the end when he says how his band has been a band for so long yet has had no success while he's seen other undeserving bands get big. Theres a few bands that have been a band longer than Punchline has without making it big. What he's doing seems kinda shitty. I'm gonna wait a month before i buy the cd probably.

dick move! I will be buying two on Tuesday to make up for this guy being weird.

seriously, I really don't get the cries of "arrogant" and "bitter," he's just trying to make moves for his band since past efforts were just not enough.

If Lady Gaga can cheat her way to #1 by pricing her album at $1, why not get there by just asking?

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radonkulous (Post 100198742)
Hey anyone who thinks he is exploiting his fans, or using this as a gimmick, and blah blah blah. It takes a lot of guts to do what he is doing. He is putting what he LOVES on the line to go for what he believes in. This is how he makes his living, this how he defines himself. Would any of you put something you love on the line like this? To have to walk away if it doesn't happen. I highly doubt many would, and if you can't see that the dude cares for his band, and band mates enough to go for it... Then just take your negativity and go some where else. Good luck Mr. Fafalios

thanks RADONK!!! i am not going to ever exploit you, i promise!

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishotthepilot (Post 100198812)
dick move! I will be buying two on Tuesday to make up for this guy being weird.

seriously, I really don't get the cries of "arrogant" and "bitter," he's just trying to make moves for his band since past efforts were just not enough.

If Lady Gaga can cheat her way to #1 by pricing her album at $1, why not get there by just asking?

i really appreciate your support! i want to remain a band forever, and be able to spend every day writing songs. 2 albums per year!

radonkulous 12/31/11 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100198832)
thanks RADONK!!! i am not going to ever exploit you, i promise!

No, thank you for inspiration, and many great times at shows. Punchline going for the gold in 2012! That is right Clucky, the gold, not the participation ribbon!

buddah knome 12/31/11 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100198712)
Quinterviews failed because it was unsuccessful. Maybe Quinterviews.com just wasn't cutting it.


I am being completely honest when i say quinterviews is the greatest series of videos on youtube i have ever seen and have never been more excited then everytime i saw you made a new one! Quinterviews was far from a failure in my book.

CMXPunch 12/31/11 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radonkulous (Post 100198962)
No, thank you for inspiration, and many great times at shows. Punchline going for the gold in 2012! That is right Clucky, the gold, not the participation ribbon!

i just want to stand up on the podium at 2012 games, wearing the gold medal for BASS!!!

xjdizzle 12/31/11 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMXPunch (Post 100197412)
I don't think it's dumb! And I'm definitely not bitter!!! :)
I love reading AbsolutePunk.net threads.

I feel you buddy, Trust me it hurts me just as much that you guys don't get some recognition for putting on art in music,But just like a song from From Autumn To Ashes called Sugarwolf, This music scene has become a fucking beauty Pagent! lol. And apparently you win Grammys for putting together some whacked beats and just pressing buttons. But hey i'm glad you guys exist because i would never know good catchy songs not from a bunch of sell outs and boy bands,Thank you, and to all the idiots on here just ignore it. I now just listen to the bands that feel like home to me and pretend all these crappy bands or artist don't exist:)