AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Tumblr Blogs Leaking Say Anything Music (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2583542)

Anton Djamoos 01/12/12 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anamericangod (Post 101048022)
No way man. Nothing says individualism and represents true self-identity like the use of profanity.

I stopped taking him seriously when I didn't see him wearing a studded leather jacket littered with clothespins. How can he expect us to believe that he means any of the words he says?

He should have at least dyed his hair/gotten a mohawk. He's totally a sellout without it.

incognitojones 01/12/12 10:51 PM

What if he wrote this song about himself??????????????
inb4 'its still shitty'

Ryan Dennehy 01/12/12 10:51 PM

I actually like the part where he prevents himself from finishing "you son of a -". That said, I think the lyrics are lacking and misdirected. I wish he hadn't named it the sequel to Admit It!, the comparison isn't even fair.

Anton Djamoos 01/12/12 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaplainTappman (Post 101048372)
I actually like the part where he prevents himself from finishing "you son of a -". That said, I think the lyrics are lacking and misdirected. I wish he hadn't named it the sequel to Admit It!, the comparison isn't even fair.

Why not?

Jason Tate 01/12/12 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisadisaster (Post 101047032)
this is better than most of the stuff max has wrote lately.

i think it was a mistake to call it admit it again though. i hate when an artist does that. i am looking at you against me! - i was a teenage anrchist

I love that Against Me song.

Ryan Dennehy 01/12/12 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Djamoos (Post 101048492)
Why not?

About the comparison? I dunno. I think I came into this song with expectations that couldn't be met. Admit It! is, I think, one of my favorite songs ever, and I don't think it's reasonable for me to expect Max to write something better than that. But he invited the comparison, and I was let down. Shrug. I can feel a lot of the rawness that was present on the original, I just...don't like it as much as I would like to enjoy a sequel to Admit It.

thisisadisaster 01/12/12 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 101048682)
I love that Against Me song.

i dont mind it, but i hate that it just reminds me of baby im an anarchist, which is a far superior song.

plus the song bums me out that i am getting old :-(

Jason Tate 01/12/12 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshadows2887 (Post 101047322)
Um...does this mean you think Destination: Beautiful is better than The Everglow?

:wave:

I do.

Poochemist 01/12/12 11:01 PM

I don't know if it was intentional, but I like the similarity of "You son of a... nghhh" to Daryl Palumbo's self-censorship in Glassjaw's "Pretty Lush".

cshadows2887 01/12/12 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 101049002)
:wave:

I do.

Whoah. I feel like I just spotted a unicorn. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone with a favorite Mae album that isn't The Everglow. Haha.

imposs1ble 01/12/12 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Djamoos (Post 101047762)
One could argue that it's a stronger message he's sending that he doesn't have to rely on cursing to get his point across.

I don't disagree with that. A song like belt has no cursing, but is a perfect "fuck you." The problem is when there should he so obviously had something else in mind but refrains from saying it, it makes him sound like a little kid that's minding his manners. Can you imagine "woe" with the lyric "I can't get laid in this town without these pointy flippin shoes" Or him screaming "bullcrap" in the middle of "admit it" or "the futile" starting with "drats! Nothing makes sense..." and continuing into "eat, sleep, make love, and flee in 5 words that's me?" Its ok to not curse in a song. Just don't write a song that *sounds* like you're trying to say something other than exactly what you're saying. It makes you just as fake as the people you're calling out.

wall e 01/12/12 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochemist (Post 101049032)
I don't know if it was intentional, but I like the similarity of "You son of a... nghhh" to Daryl Palumbo's self-censorship in Glassjaw's "Pretty Lush".

Weirdly ironic, I brought that up earlier in this thread.

wall e 01/12/12 11:08 PM

And The Everglow is amazing.

Ryan Dennehy 01/12/12 11:09 PM

I really, really don't agree with the censorship posts. I think Max knew exactly what he was writing with those, and honestly, I hear crap a lot less than I hear shit, and it stood out a lot more because of that. Definitely not something I think is worth complaining about too much.

sammyboy516 01/12/12 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsara (Post 101041552)
Story of David and Max.

David: "Say Anything sucks"

Max: "Can you tell me why?"

David: :"You just do"

Fin.

Can you elaborate on this a little? Haha I wanna now what happened.

Also, I don't know who David is (I do remember the name ArtfulAbortions, but I don't remember anything about his posts), but the song isn't necessarily completely directed at him. Maybe a line or two could have been inspired by him, but why would Max write a song about an argument he had with some guy online years ago?

Anyway, I really like the song.