AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Thursday Discussion: Great Debut Albums Can Be a Curse (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2633062)

JamesMichael 02/17/12 03:43 PM

Lets be honest though there is always going to be that person that says otherwise. Like I know quite a few of my friends say Louder Now is Taking Back Sundays best album. Its just down to personal choice in the end but there's no denying classic albums in the scene.

Your Milkshake 02/17/12 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emery3993 (Post 103197792)
I loved Blue Sky Noise, I actually think Juturna is their weakest album, not a bad album at all, just my least favorite, but I guess I'm in the minority there


Juturna is def them at their most proggy. I understand why people like BSN so much, (its really good for what it is) I just found it to be a little of a step backward and less representative of what made them a characteristically unique band. The band is still pretty much uncapable of producing anything bad no matter what they try.

Can you tell theyre my fave band?

NickMadeVisible 02/17/12 05:12 PM

Has He Is Legend been mentioned in here yet? I feel like IAH was an absolute masterpiece front to back and they never even came close to replicating it.

Your Milkshake 02/17/12 05:22 PM

The Fall of Troys Doppelganger anybody?

buddah knome 02/17/12 08:15 PM

Hawthorne Heights silence in black and white is for sure one of those albums. They have yet to disappoint me with material and I think they have only gotten better but so many fans won't even give new material a chance because they are so attached to sib&w.

brook183 02/17/12 08:48 PM

No Devolucion is easily Thursday's greatest work.

brook183 02/17/12 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 103175252)
same here, it's infuriating. The last Underoath records crap all over TOCS, which sounds basically like TBS with breakdowns and screaming.

oh well

my addition would be The Ugly Organ by Cursive. Even though it seems like a lot of older fans are back on board with the release of I Am Gemini.

Oh yes. Disambiguation is so damn good, it's a shame people don't realize how much better it is than TOCS.

brook183 02/17/12 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badkins23 (Post 103181152)
The first three Thrice albums, especially The Artist in the Ambulance. I always see so many fans saying "listen to their old stuff" among other endless comparisons to how/why the old stuff is better. Personally, I love every album and the evolution of their sound from cd to cd.

their real fans dont think this at all, and every review you can find on the internet will prove that they only kept improving. this discussion wasn't really about what some fans disagree, it was more about a general consensus that a band wouldn't ever make an album better than "x" album.

emery3993 02/17/12 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Your Milkshake (Post 103248862)
Juturna is def them at their most proggy. I understand why people like BSN so much, (its really good for what it is) I just found it to be a little of a step backward and less representative of what made them a characteristically unique band. The band is still pretty much uncapable of producing anything bad no matter what they try.

Can you tell theyre my fave band?

ha ya they sure are consistent, and boy is their live show fantastic

Clockwork00 02/17/12 09:25 PM

I like TBS's WYWTB more than TAYF. It seems like just the right mixture of where they came from and where they were going.

I know most people here probably don't listen to her, but I think Sara Bareilles's first album is like this (and yes, I'm aware of CC and even own a physical copy, but I'm talking major label here). I like KH but LV was everything a pop album should be and just the nostalgia factor alone is enough for me to place it on a pedestal.

As much as I disagree with it, it seems like Hit the Lights have this curse with their Colin stuff, which I think is a shame. The Maine seems to have the opposite problem, where their debut album is my favorite but most people think their latest was much better. Go Radio's EPs (both WTL and DOASC) are kind of like this for me too. LS was good, but not what I wanted it to be.

Also, Action Item. Definitely Action Item.

defy_stars 02/17/12 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuldanips (Post 103176882)
Really? I personally think Circa Survive's albums have (somehow) improved with each new release.

Also, what about "Catch Without Arms?" That album was so much better than dredg's debut.


Quote:

Originally Posted by skrillzzz1109 (Post 103192812)
Completely disagree with Dredg. CWA is good (no El Cielo good) but I still really like it. And I think I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love TPTPTD, as much as Leitmotif and El Cielo.

However, I completely agree with Circa Survive. Everything after Juturna has been absolutely terrible. For some reason I keep giving them another chance, and am throughly disappointed each time.

I love El Cielo, TPTPTD & CWA. El Cielo & CWA are my top 2.

Well, I love all of Circa's albums equally and BSN really touched me, so that's my favorite from theirs. I agree w/ fuldanips on this, I think Circa improved with each release. :shrug:

defy_stars 02/17/12 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notmrblond234 (Post 103177442)
Can't believe I almost forgot about how disapointing the last 2 Circa Survive albums were.

booo! :-(

defy_stars 02/17/12 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emery3993 (Post 103197792)
I loved Blue Sky Noise, I actually think Juturna is their weakest album, not a bad album at all, just my least favorite, but I guess I'm in the minority there

i agree with you :shrug: my original post was just to state how the general consensus seems to be, which is why i said "this happens for", not necessarily that i agree with. BSN actually made Circa my favorite band. it touched me emotionally and i really felt something with that album. it also made me go back to their earlier releases a lot more because before BSN i didn't listen to Circa that much.

Your Milkshake 02/17/12 10:21 PM

I feel that even though BSN isnt quite my cup of tea, that it is still a pretty good album. But it has its cheesy/bad moments imo. I just feel olg and juturna were SO solid and had such a more unique vibe and composition in comparison. When i said BSN was disapointing it was because prior to its release i had heard demos and prepros of awesome melodic, jazzy, really experimental material they were supposed to release. But then we the album came out they threw all of that material away for some reason and replaced it with more generic material.

However i have heard several new songs of theirs live, and they sound alot cooler imo than their BSN material so im still happy woth them.

elemenohpe 02/18/12 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1002 (Post 103176462)
Lostprophets - The Fake Sound Of Progress
Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation
36 Crazyfists - A Snow Capped Romance

Edit: The Starting Line - Say It Like You Mean It


all of these. for sure. absolutely.