AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Entertainment Round-Up (2/19/2012) (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2635852)

Thomas Balkcom 02/19/12 12:58 PM

Entertainment Round-Up (2/19/2012)

Head to the replies to view and discuss this week in Movie, Television and DVD news.

Thomas Balkcom 02/19/12 12:58 PM

Entertainment Round-Up
contributors: rest_easy, stayillogical, and Thomas Balkcom

Industry News and Rumors:

Movies

01) Here is your first look at Johnny Depp and Eva Green in Dark Shadows.

02) Dominic Cooper has replaced Clive Owen in Cities.

03) I Am Legend sequel is officially in the works.

04) Kyle Chandler joins Kathryn Bigelow’s Bin Laden film.

05) Guillermo del Toro will direct Emma Watson in a new version of Beauty and the Beast.

06) Transformers 4 is confirmed for a summer 2014 release with Michael Bay to direct. It may become a reboot.

07) First look at Cogan’s Trade, starring Brad Pitt, Ray Liotta, and James Gandolfini.

08) New images from Snow White and The Huntsman.

09) Bad Santa sequel will shoot this fall for a Christmas 2013 release.

10) Jennifer Aniston and Dennis Quaid join the Jackie Brown prequel.

11) Watch some clips for John Carter and new featurette.

12) Gael Garcia Bernal will star in the post-apocalyptic Zorro Reborn.

13) Here are two teasers for 2 Days in New York, Julia Delpy’s follow up to 2 Days in Paris.

14) Some clips from 21 Jump Street.

15) John Carter sequel is already under way.

Television

01) Giancarlo Esposito of Breaking Bad fame will guest star on an episode of Community.

02) Exec producer Peter Berg reveals the basic plot for Friday Night Lights movie.

03) NBC orders 13 episodes of Bryan Fuller’s Hannibal.

04) The first episode of Awake is now streaming online.

05) Colbert Report will resume on Monday, after a halt in production due to family illness.

Newest Trailers

01) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Teaser) - http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/watch-teaser-trailer-for-abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-arrives/
02) Prometheus (International) - http://www.slashfilm.com/prometheus-international-trailer-2/
03) Friends With Kids (Red Band) - http://www.slashfilm.com/friends-kids-redband-trailer/
04) The Amazing Spider-Man (International) - http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=54741
05) Wanderlust- http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/watch-2-clips-red-band-trailer-for-wanderlust-plus-batch-of-new-pics

Absolutepunk Entertainment Forum Links

The Amazing Spider-Man
Parks and Recreation
The Dark Knight Rises
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Hunger Games
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Community
Prometheus
The Book Thread
Movie Lists 2011

-------
sources: blogs.indiewire.com, deadline.com, nymag.com, hollywoodreporter.com, comingsoon.net, slashfilm.com, variety.com, deadline.com, avclub.com, collider.com, tvline.com, trailers.apple.com, moviephone.com,
-------
If you have a bit of entertainment news you'd like to submit for next week's Round-Up, send your submission to Thomas Balkcom with "Entertainment Round-Up" in the subject header.

UrNotAMachine 02/19/12 01:04 PM

" Transformers 4 is confirmed for a summer 2014 release with Michael Bay to direct. It may become a reboot."

Are you fucking serious :shudder:

bandnamexmyname 02/19/12 01:04 PM

FNL movie, fucking yes.

blimpcityhero11 02/19/12 01:06 PM

1) I hate when they announce guest stars for Community. It makes me miss and anticipate the show even more.

2) Disney better hope John Carter is well-reviewed and audiences like it. The tracking hasn't been encouraging so far. Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to see it without Andrew Stanton's involvement.

3) Zorro Reborn sounds like the dumbest idea ever.

josepablo32 02/19/12 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Balkcom (Post 103324982)
Entertainment Round-Up

Movie Lists 2011

Tommy, you wrote the thread for 2011.

Sloth7 02/19/12 01:12 PM

Looking forward to Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. Hope it does the book justice.

Say Hello 87 02/19/12 01:18 PM

Stop making stupid Transformers movies. Jesus.

iseeumonkey 02/19/12 01:26 PM

Personally looking forward to "The Devil's Carnival", the new series by Darren Lynn Bousman and Terrance Zdunich. Loved "Repo! The Genetic Opera", and this cast looks promising.

airik625 02/19/12 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Hello 87 (Post 103325562)
Stop making stupid Transformers movies. Jesus.

Exactly what I was about to say. Enough is enough. But $$$ talks.

Say Hello 87 02/19/12 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airik625 (Post 103325902)
Exactly what I was about to say. Enough is enough. But $$$ talks.

Only until none of the original cast members return haha

brandon_260 02/19/12 01:37 PM

I really liked I Am Legend. I hope the sequel is at least decent.

Goat01 02/19/12 01:38 PM

Colbert!

PirateSkater182 02/19/12 01:49 PM

...Gah. Sequels and remakes, sequels and remakes. Never ends.

stayillogical 02/19/12 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josepablo32 (Post 103325422)
Tommy, you wrote the thread for 2011.

I just checked, we've been doing that all year, forgot to update. Thanks for noticing.

mrnegativezero 02/19/12 02:17 PM

I'm quickly growing tired of this fairy tale fad. But Emma Watson and Guillermo Del Toro with Beauty and the Beast? Now that's something that's interests me.

aolsux 02/19/12 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iseeumonkey (Post 103325852)
Personally looking forward to "The Devil's Carnival", the new series by Darren Lynn Bousman and Terrance Zdunich. Loved "Repo! The Genetic Opera", and this cast looks promising.

fuck yeah to this, Repo! was great

Matt Chylak 02/19/12 03:12 PM

Michael Bay making a reboot of his own movie...jesus.

randys950 02/19/12 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Chylak (Post 103330602)
Michael Bay making a reboot of his own movie...jesus.

I like the transformers movie

drewbaldy 02/19/12 04:13 PM

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter looks good.

All of the Transformers (yes even the second one) has had entertainment value. I am not one of the cliche Michael Bay haters. I think he's good at what he does, which is make shit blow up.

The Amazing Spider Man is looking better everyday. Looks like it could give The Avengers and The Dark Knight a run for their money in terms of comic book movies.

I think an I Am Legend sequel could be good if they get get rid of the playstation 1 graphics for the "vampires."

Finally, I think the John Carter movie will be pretty good.

This is a pretty exciting year for movies.

Off subject, but one of my most anticipated movie of the year is piranha 3dd. Ving Rhames with shotguns for legs, yes please.

Also, does Quentin Tarantino have any involvement at all with the Jackie Brown prequel?

Loveisa4lttrwrd 02/19/12 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon_260 (Post 103326402)
I really liked I Am Legend. I hope the sequel is at least decent.

I really wish they would have followed the plot from the book, it was far more interesting. Also, how is this even possible with Will Smith's character? The article did nothing to clear that up and I can't imagine where they could go with this.

Loveisa4lttrwrd 02/19/12 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbaldy (Post 103333182)
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter looks good.

All of the Transformers (yes even the second one) has had entertainment value. I am not one of the cliche Michael Bay haters. I think he's good at what he does, which is make shit blow up.

The Amazing Spider Man is looking better everyday. Looks like it could give The Avengers and The Dark Knight a run for their money in terms of comic book movies.

I think an I Am Legend sequel could be good if they get get rid of the playstation 1 graphics for the "vampires."

Finally, I think the John Carter movie will be pretty good.

This is a pretty exciting year for movies.

Off subject, but one of my most anticipated movie of the year is piranha 3dd. Ving Rhames with shotguns for legs, yes please.

Also, does Quentin Tarantino have any involvement at all with the Jackie Brown prequel?

lawl

Mr.Piano93 02/19/12 05:58 PM

fuck Michael Bay.

fothermucker 02/19/12 07:20 PM

Jackie Brown prequel just sounds like a dumb idea.
Beauty and The Beast sounds like it could be a flop, but I'm down for anything from Guillermo Del Toro and Emma Watson so count me in!

ctmk 02/19/12 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandnamexmyname (Post 103325192)
FNL movie, fucking yes.

im excited too but i can imagine the trailer
"this fall, Friday Night Lights, based on the critically acclaimed TV show that was based on the hit movie that was based on the New York Times bestseller."

a movie based on a tv show based on a movie based on a book

INCEPTION

Formatfun 02/19/12 07:48 PM

I am looking forward to that 21 Jump Street movie. Previews and such look great.

coreysetfail 02/19/12 08:03 PM

bad santa 2. i'm hard.

Cody Nelson 02/19/12 09:17 PM

FNL has the littlest need for a movie. Jeez, leave well enough alone.

mickmadethelist 02/20/12 12:49 AM

How the hell can you have the same director and most of the cast and call it a reboot? By that logic the Star Wars blue rays count as a reboot.

fothermucker 02/20/12 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickmadethelist (Post 103357672)
How the hell can you have the same director and most of the cast and call it a reboot? By that logic the Star Wars blue rays count as a reboot.

I don't think it's the same cast, I know Shia LaBeouf isn't returning.

Someone'sCoat 02/20/12 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctmk (Post 103346192)
im excited too but i can imagine the trailer
"this fall, Friday Night Lights, based on the critically acclaimed TV show that was based on the hit movie that was based on the New York Times bestseller."

a movie based on a tv show based on a movie based on a book

INCEPTION

Came in here to say this...minus the excited part.

Way to go on the creativity front, Hollywood.

JinxRemoving 02/20/12 04:29 AM

I love FNL so much, but a movie really isn't necessary in this case.

Spencer Control 02/20/12 07:05 AM

An I Am Legend sequel? May be good... may be terrible. I did like the first one quite a bit.

A new Beauty and the Beast movie? Guillermo Del Toro? EMMA WATSON? :freakout: :excited: :drew:

iseeumonkey 02/20/12 08:04 AM

Quote:

Really? It's looking worse and worse to me. The Dark Knight Rises is going to be the best of the three this summer, followed by The Avengers and then Spider Man. Avengers is either going to be really good or really corny. It's going to be epic, but will it be good? The Amazing Spider Man only has gotten one thing right so far(in my opinion) and that's the use of Peter's webshooters instead of the web just shooting out of his wrists. (from what it looks like at least)

ctmk 02/20/12 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someone'sCoat (Post 103358202)
Came in here to say this...minus the excited part.

Way to go on the creativity front, Hollywood.

i dont think its lack of creativity because peter berg is the one who is pushing for it, not the studio. Its not like the show was a ratings monster. He seems to have a real connection with the story and the characters, which is really all any one can ask from a director.

indoorfavorite 02/20/12 09:18 AM

Hot pic of Brad Pitt smoking those Parliament Lights. Will see movie.

CarouselBoy 02/20/12 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iseeumonkey (Post 103362102)
Really? It's looking worse and worse to me. The Dark Knight Rises is going to be the best of the three this summer, followed by The Avengers and then Spider Man. Avengers is either going to be really good or really corny. It's going to be epic, but will it be good? The Amazing Spider Man only has gotten one thing right so far(in my opinion) and that's the use of Peter's webshooters instead of the web just shooting out of his wrists. (from what it looks like at least)

How's it looking worse and worse?

DooDooBird 02/20/12 11:18 AM

Quote:

I disagree with this. I think the Spider-Man movie looks rather uninspiring.

No way in hell it comes remotely close to the Dark Knight Rise's success. I think it's a given this film will be a critical darling, given Nolan's track record. And there's no doubt in my mind that the $$$ numbers are going to be huge as well. People have been talking about this non-stop since 2008. Opening weekend is going to be nuts. And since it is likely to be a critical success, it will continue to draw good crowds throughout the summer.

The Spider-man movie looks so unoriginal. It basically reminds me of all the other Spidermans, but with darker lighting and a new cast. Heck, even the CGI looks dated. The best part of this movie looks like it will be Sally Field and Martin Sheen playing the role of Peter's Aunt and Uncle. Wouldn't be surprised if this movie ends up being a superhero snoozer like The Incredible Hulk.