AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  The Classic Crime Responds To Kickstarter Objections (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2663402)

Jake Denning 03/11/12 09:18 AM

The Classic Crime Responds To Kickstarter Objections

The Classic Crime vocalist Matt McDonald has posted a blog regarding the negative reactions that his band has received from their recent kickstarter campaign.
From The BlogI want to say that part of me finds this pretty funny. Why would someone hate us for having fans that love us? If a fan sees a package and wants it, then purchases it, why would somebody hate that? It's ridiculous. This isn't charity, nobody is giving us anything. People are purchasing products.

sammyboy516 03/11/12 09:23 AM

People are so dumb. I love this band and anyone who follows them , their blogs, etc, knows they wouldn't cheat their fans out of money. They're just awesome guys that love what they do. It sucks that he even had to explain everything like this, but I'm glad he did.

Jake Denning 03/11/12 09:29 AM

My two cents: I'm a huge fan of the band, and I wish them all the success in the world in whatever they do. That being said, i'm also a fan of Mixtapes being able to voice their opinion, although I don't necessarily agree with it; it's still great people can have an outlet to object to something if they choose.

plns 03/11/12 09:36 AM

I had no clue this band has such a devoted fan base. That aside, why don't these kickstarters stop taking money once the goal is reached?

Jared Luttrell 03/11/12 09:37 AM

Band comes off as kinda cheap in those kick starter rewards.

plns 03/11/12 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Denning (Post 104520252)
My two cents: I'm a huge fan of the band, and I wish them all the success in the world in whatever they do. That being said, i'm also a fan of Mixtapes being able to voice their opinion, although I don't necessarily agree with it; it's still great people can have an outlet to object to something if they choose.

Could you elaborate on what happened or post a link?

8SlicesOfPie 03/11/12 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plns (Post 104520482)
I had no clue this band has such a devoted fan base. That aside, why don't these kickstarters stop taking money once the goal is reached?

Cause I'm sure there are people who don't find out about it/get money for it until after the goal is reached but they still want some of the incentives and/or to help a band they like.

ship of fools 03/11/12 09:40 AM

I'm glad they didn't stop once the goal was reached. I wouldn't have been able to purchase my signed CD and all the other goodies.

and yeah, Mixtapes, whoever they are, have a right to voice their opinion. I'm just really glad they found such a noble cause to get involved with and spend their time on.
/sarcasm

youenvydoug 03/11/12 09:40 AM

From the picture that Mixtapes posted from The Classic Crime's status, I don't blame them for voicing their opinion the way they did. Unless you clicked on the kickstarter, and based it just on that status saying "if we hit 40k we can do a 2-week - west coast and some mountain stuff," I can see why they would be outraged and maybe didn't click the kickstarter to get the full story.

plns 03/11/12 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared Luttrell (Post 104520502)
Band comes off as kinda cheap in those kick starter rewards.

Yeah, $1000 to watch them practice and go to lunch with them is fucking ridiculous.

TheRealJohnOC 03/11/12 09:42 AM

I had no idea that you can pledge money and then back out right before it's over. This Mike Smail guy sounds like a jerk off. I hope he forgets to take the money out and gets charged the 10k lol

canvasofwinter 03/11/12 09:44 AM

How cute. Mixtapes is jealous.

plns 03/11/12 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youenvydoug (Post 104520662)
From the picture that Mixtapes posted from The Classic Crime's status, I don't blame them for voicing their opinion the way they did. Unless you clicked on the kickstarter, and based it just on that status saying "if we hit 40k we can do a 2-week - west coast and some mountain stuff," I can see why they would be outraged and maybe didn't click the kickstarter to get the full story.

Even then, they said that they needed $10k for a 2 week west coast tour. I've tour managed The Summer Set, NeverShoutNever and The Word Alive. I think when I first left with The Summer Set, we had about $800 on us and went on tour for a month. This seems like they want to rent a bus for the tour which is fucking stupid for a band of their status.

EDIT: I'm looking at old expense reports and the total cost for The Summer Set to do a 6 week tour (Entire US) as an opening band was a little over $12,000. I am pretty positive what they did was say it costs them $10,000 every two weeks but didn't include what they average on merch a night and what their guarantees are.

Jared Luttrell 03/11/12 09:51 AM

"We will explain to any hater or skeptic, via Skype, in 4 minutes or less, the breakdown of our recording expenses, as well as the breakdown of touring costs, and why we think our kickstarter is a great investment for our fans. Low low price of $5000 to know the real truth."
That's what you get for your $5,000..lol.

emoboy333 03/11/12 09:51 AM

I'm sorry but 20 bucks (30 as I'm french) for the cd only shipped to me is ridiculous. It's really stealing money from the fans...
I pleged for Strange Vacation's Kickstarter project : for 40 bucks, I have the vinyl version of Chasm, the cd version in a digipack, a tank top, and B sides....
And frankly, Classic Crime's rewards are really cheap IMO.