AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  SXSW 2012 Is Almost Here (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2664452)

Paul Tao 03/12/12 11:35 AM

SXSW 2012 Is Almost Here

It's that time of the year again - SXSW is here! The interactive and film portions are already either underway or finished, but the part that interests all of us (music) is just about to start. As usual, AP.net staff members will be down in Austin covering a variety of parties, showcases, BBQs and everything else in between. I'll be down there once again (for my 7th year in a row!), along with Adam and Eda, to cover all of our activities. We'll be updating the @apnetatshow twitter account fairly often with some of the shows we see, so make sure to follow that. If you want even more updates, you can follow us on our individual twitter accounts: @paultao, @alueda and @p_is_silent.

Check the replies for a brief list of tips, showcases, and other things you might need to know if you're planning on heading down to Austin this week.

Paul Tao 03/12/12 11:35 AM

Some Important Things To Note:
1. Make a schedule of every band you want to see. Try and see as many at similar showcases. Lines are a pain, and it's better to get in early and stay at some showcases all day than trying to hop from one to the other. For some packed houses, once you're outside the venue, you're back in line waiting. This means, you could have 20 bands you want to see in four days - maybe pick SIX you really want to see.

2. RSVP to everything you can. Not gonna go? If you decide you all of a sudden do, you'll be on the list anyway when you happen to show up because you didn't want to wait in line any longer for that "special guest" announced over your Twitter feed at another showcase.

3. Cash is your friend. I'm not saying walk around with your bank account, but food vendors will be everywhere and they don't take plastic. Also, free drinks doesn't necessarily mean you have to be a jerk and not tip a $1. C'mon. Also, most bands DON'T get paid to come play, so SXSW is a great time to snag merch, there sometimes there is plenty of SXSW only editions of t-shirts and vinyl.

4. Bring your phone charger with you wherever you go. Your phone will undoubtedly die within a few hours because you'll be texting/calling/emailing constantly to meet up with friends.

5. A few must-have items for your trip - Emergen-C or something similar (trust me, you'll need some vitamins and stuff every morning to prevent death), insoles for your shoes (you'll be doing more walking here in a week than you probably do in a year normally) and some kind of bag to carry around with you at the shows (for the free swag being handed out on every corner).

Smaller Acts We're Stoked To Catch, Besides The Obvious Bigger Ones:
Indian Handcrafts, Bleeding Knees Club, Narrows, Chairlift, Doomtree, Marriages, Chelsea Wolfe, Braid, Purity Ring, Haim, Alabama Shakes, Blood Orange.

Parties That Look Fun (besides ours, duh!):
Topshelf Records, Count Your Lucky Stars, Shirts For a Cure, Mightier Than Sword, Sargent House, Dummy Magazine, Waynestock II, Buzzbands LA, Swinghouse/D'Addario.
(We're leaving out the easy ones like FADER Fort/Purevolume/Filter/Mess With Texas) etc

Parties AP Staff Members Are Involved In And Thus Shamelessly Promoting On Here:
notSXSW day 1, day 2, day 3, and the IAMSOUND/School Night showcase.

Food Carts: Kebabalicious, Best Wurst and El Chupacabra.

Vinyl: Waterloo Records and End of an Ear.

Last but very definitely not least, we expect to see everyone at the AP.net party Friday night at the PureVolume House. You can RSVP here, and make sure to say hi to Eda and I, who will be djing off and on.

Lueda Alia 03/12/12 11:41 AM

Ahhh.... this hasn't sunk in yet! It's going to be insane.

PirateSkater182 03/12/12 12:00 PM

Wooooo! Be there Wednesday morning!

Holly HoX! 03/12/12 12:00 PM

You mugs best be seeing Thee Oh Sees at least once...

They're only playing about ten showcases...

ChaseTx 03/12/12 12:02 PM

I'll be there for Friday night & Saturday! Looking for the right thing to check out Saturday night.

James Shotwell 03/12/12 12:06 PM

My flight is at 715 tomorrow morning! See everyone at the party

Thomas Nassiff 03/12/12 12:10 PM

SXSW, aka music industry vacation week.

oldwirehands 03/12/12 12:13 PM

Leaving in two days; wish I had the money to leave now!

Paul Tao 03/12/12 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Nassiff (Post 104576862)
SXSW, aka music industry vacation week.

Half yes, half no. With all the shit I have to do this week, it's far from a vacation! It's just that it's acceptable to have a beer while working this week.

ChaseTx 03/12/12 12:21 PM

Anyone want to split a hotel/motel room for Saturday morning? I'm leaving Sunday, but definitely can't stay up all night Friday, all day Saturday, and all night again. haha

oldwirehands 03/12/12 12:21 PM

Yeah, I'm assuming not much sleep time will be available. Gonna make sure to have plenty of Red Bull with me.

8SlicesOfPie 03/12/12 12:27 PM

Hopefully gonna make it out to a couple shows later in the week.

ChaseTx 03/12/12 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwirehands (Post 104577492)
Yeah, I'm assuming not much sleep time will be available. Gonna make sure to have plenty of Red Bull with me.

yeah, but with this party ending at 5am, then whatever is going on Saturday night, Saturday morning will be rough. Caffeine can only go so far before jitters and system shutdown commence.

bladerdude360 03/12/12 12:50 PM

Wish I could be there for this. I'm sure you guys will all have a blast!

TFP 03/12/12 12:53 PM

Good Old War, Hellogoodbye (among others) will be at the D'Addario/Swinghouse party on Friday..can't wait!

StephenYoung 03/12/12 12:55 PM

So jealous. Will hit this up in '14 when I turn 21.

oldwirehands 03/12/12 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseTx (Post 104578372)
yeah, but with this party ending at 5am, then whatever is going on Saturday night, Saturday morning will be rough. Caffeine can only go so far before jitters and system shutdown commence.

Tru dat. I've been known for going days without sleep, so it's not that big of a deal for me. I'll just sport some raccoon eyes on Saturday and Sunday.

thisisadisaster 03/12/12 01:02 PM

whoop whoop.

Jake Denning 03/12/12 01:04 PM

If you're at SXSW, you NEED to see Andrew W.K. -- his live band is so awesome! You gotta see his set!

ChaseTx 03/12/12 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwirehands (Post 104579442)
Tru dat. I've been known for going days without sleep, so it's not that big of a deal for me. I'll just sport some raccoon eyes on Saturday and Sunday.

I consider myself hyperleptic. haha

Thomas Nassiff 03/12/12 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Tao (Post 104577122)
Half yes, half no. With all the shit I have to do this week, it's far from a vacation! It's just that it's acceptable to have a beer while working this week.

haha true

Adam Pfleider 03/12/12 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Tao (Post 104577122)

this. I told my coworkers I'm less taking a vacation and more working my other life.

mattregan 03/12/12 02:07 PM

Paul Tao. A man of great knowledge and wisdom.

shes.a.ghost 03/12/12 02:11 PM

Great advice.

Only thing I would add is to bring sunscreen just in case.

ARo2431 03/12/12 03:46 PM

One of my life goals is to make it down there one year. Its a hell of a trip and will crack my piggy bank but it will be so worth it.

TheRxBandit 03/12/12 04:24 PM

Has this event happened in years past? This will be my first year there, and I'm curious what the capacity of the venue is and just how big of a crowd I can expect... Trying to get there and get a good spot to film from...

ellie117 03/12/12 05:19 PM

This year fell the same week as my spring break of my senior year of college. And I am stuck here in Jersey all week. Torture. So jealous of everyone going, take advantage of every second of it!

iAMhollyood315 03/12/12 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARo2431 (Post 104591482)
One of my life goals is to make it down there one year. Its a hell of a trip and will crack my piggy bank but it will be so worth it.

me too. Ive always wanted to go but it has never worked out. I actually am going to Austin for the first on the 23rd of this month i'm just gonna miss it to visit a friend. I would have flown down a week earlier to but but when i looked up airfare, it was double and I couldn't commit months prior to find decent airfare.

Never been to Texas but I get the feeling Austin is going to be wicked awesome and way different city than then rest of the state.

SilenceBrokenTT 03/12/12 08:09 PM

lol.... has this happened in the years past...

ChaseTx 03/13/12 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRxBandit (Post 104594182)
Has this event happened in years past? This will be my first year there, and I'm curious what the capacity of the venue is and just how big of a crowd I can expect... Trying to get there and get a good spot to film from...

I'm not sure how to answer this question, so I'll let you do the research here and here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iAMhollyood315 (Post 104597622)
me too. Ive always wanted to go but it has never worked out. I actually am going to Austin for the first on the 23rd of this month i'm just gonna miss it to visit a friend. I would have flown down a week earlier to but but when i looked up airfare, it was double and I couldn't commit months prior to find decent airfare.

Never been to Texas but I get the feeling Austin is going to be wicked awesome and way different city than then rest of the state.

Texas is awesome in general, but yeah Austin is different. That's why their slogan is "Keep Austin Weird"

ChaseTx 03/13/12 03:09 PM

Here's a question: is this the only way to get into non-free SXSW shows?I mean I'd love to see Norah Jones, Doug Benson, and Nas, but $750?

TheRxBandit 03/13/12 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseTx (Post 104628482)
I'm not sure how to answer this question, so I'll let you do the research here and here.

Texas is awesome in general, but yeah Austin is different. That's why their slogan is "Keep Austin Weird"

I didn't mean SXSW. I know what SXSW is :P. I meant the AbsolutePunk/PureVolume house thing. I want to know if anyone has any advice on how quickly it fills up or how much space there is...etc...

thisisadisaster 03/13/12 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRxBandit (Post 104676922)
I didn't mean SXSW. I know what SXSW is :P. I meant the AbsolutePunk/PureVolume house thing. I want to know if anyone has any advice on how quickly it fills up or how much space there is...etc...

from everything i have read, purevolume house fills up VERY quickly.

and this is the first year AP has had a party.

everybodywakeup 03/13/12 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 104575482)
Ahhh.... this hasn't sunk in yet! It's going to be insane.

Remember to check out Milo Greene! Though, since you guys are going to the Buzzbands LA showcase, I guess that's a given.

TheRxBandit 03/13/12 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisadisaster (Post 104676992)
from everything i have read, purevolume house fills up VERY quickly.

and this is the first year AP has had a party.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to get there early.

thisisadisaster 03/13/12 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRxBandit (Post 104679732)
Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to get there early.

see you there!