AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Thursday Discussion: Live Albums; Love 'um or Hate 'um? (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2677152)

oneeightytwo 03/22/12 02:31 PM

I searched for ages when I younger for TMTATS, and only recently have I found it in the stores haha. It was out of print for a while iirc right? Or something like that.

Brand New's 'Southside Festival' Bootleg/Soundboard is awesome too. Great sound quality.

Live albums are good in some ways; giving you a chance to experience the show, but at the same time you still feel a bit removed from the atmosphere, which is a given really, seeing as you aren't there. They are a good substitute for not going to a show, although it can be bittersweet, listening to a great show and acknowledging that, but at the same time you wished you could/should of went.

Tilde 03/22/12 02:31 PM

It's a tricky one, I'd say it's usually never as good as actually being there; atmosphere makes a huge difference... it might be enjoyable to listen to but when you're listening you can't help but feel you're settling for second best.

Jason Tate 03/22/12 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brook183 (Post 105149282)
Oh my lord, I NEED that Ursus Veritas set as a whole. I have like half of those on my pod now.

Yeah, Live at the House of Blues is insanely good.

It rules. I think "bsides r us" had it at one point. I did a quick google search for it - but couldn't find it.

Alison1488 03/22/12 02:32 PM

I don't really like live albums, unless I happened to be at the show it was recorded, like the Starting Line's final show in Philadelphia on April 18, 2008. I like being able to connect a memory to what I'm hearing, and if I can't do that, it just loses its luster.

Jason Tate 03/22/12 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgedcc (Post 105149302)
Live albums are never an essential listen for me. If it's somebody I really like, then I'll buy them, but 99% of the time I prefer the studio versions of the songs. That said, here are some of my favourite live albums;

The Who - Live At Leeds
MC5 - Back In The USA
James Brow - Live At the Apollo, 1962
Sam Cooke - Live At the Harlem Square Club
Bob Dylan - I like a lot of the many Bootleg Series that he's put out, I'll go for number 4 as my favourite overall
Bruce Springsteen - Live 1975 - 85

And more recent ones:
Green Day - Bullet In A Bible
Thrice - Live At The House Of Blues
Tegan and Sara - Get Along
NOFX - I Heard They Suck Live / They've Gotten Even Worse Live!
Bad Religion - 30 Years Live

The Bob Dylan bootlegs could be ranked completely separately. Heh.

You know, I don't think I ever heard that Green Day one. Weird. I remember it coming out - and I just ignored it I guess.

The MixChange 03/22/12 02:33 PM

The Weakerthans - Live at the Burton Cummings Theatre

Jason Tate 03/22/12 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t.web4 (Post 105149372)
TBS's Live at Orensanz is the only live album I own. It's pretty solid. In general though, I'm not really a big fan of live albums.

TBS have a live album?

I did not know this.

RyanFTW 03/22/12 02:33 PM

Face to Face's Live Album is one of the best live albums ever. Every track is so solid.

Jason Tate 03/22/12 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles777 (Post 105149442)
Love em. Sometimes the live versions are better than the original.

Found that in a few places as well. It's always a weird thing for me ... it's that, "Why didn't the album version sound like this" moment.

RyanFTW 03/22/12 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 105149742)
TBS have a live album?

I did not know this.

TBS also has live at Bamboozle.

texan4lif281 03/22/12 02:34 PM

I'm a fan of the live album.

Flogging Molly Live at the Greek Theatre is a really good.

deanster321 03/22/12 02:34 PM

City and Colour's live album is far better than Sometimes in my opinion.

Jake Denning 03/22/12 02:35 PM

Not a huge fan of live albums, but I'll blast this album when i'm killing the weights.

Jason Tate 03/22/12 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanFTW (Post 105149792)
TBS also has live at Bamboozle.

I didn't know this either.

Feel like TBS is something better experienced live - than listened to live. Is it any good?

Jason Tate 03/22/12 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanster321 (Post 105149852)
City and Colour's live album is far better than Sometimes in my opinion.

Fuck, so good.